Discussion - Manga similar to berserk | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Manga similar to berserk

dantoddd

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just caught up with berserk and finished reading up to ch. 312. It was great. I am wondering if there are other manga similar to berserk that would be fun to read

Thanks

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm there's nothing quite like Berserk out there...there's Claymore and Ubel Blaat if you want similar medieval fantasy based manga otherwise, there's Battle Angel Alita, it has a similar feel to Berserk (bleak and dreary tone). If you want something that has less fantasy, try Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond. Vinland Saga as well :)

dantoddd

Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm there's nothing quite like Berserk out there...there's Claymore and Ubel Blaat if you want similar medieval fantasy based manga otherwise, there's Battle Angel Alita, it has a similar feel to Berserk (bleak and dreary tone). If you want something that has less fantasy, try Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond. Vinland Saga as well :)
Thanks for the response. I've read all of those except Battle angel Alita. I don't particularly like Claymore and Ubel Blaat. Like the the other three quite a bit, especially Vagabond. I guess I'll look into Battle Angel Alita.

thanks again

JK88

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I see "Blade of the Phantom Master - Shin Angyo Onshi" a work very similar to Berserk for certain parts (for example the incipit): I recommend it strongly to you :)

SuperShuter

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
England
Shin Angyo Onshi is very good the best I have ever read, rated higher than Berserk because it has an ending. Again Vinland Saga also has a very similar style, although its another monthly unfinished one.

If you are looking for something similary dark but non medevil, Shamo is a very good dark fighting manga. Where the main character goes to a jouniour asylem for killing his parents and is a wuss but for some reason they all learn Karate in there (wtf lol) and when he comes out he decides to enter this karate sort of tournement. The best thing about it is that the main character is pretty evil.

Last edited:

damane08

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Shin Angyo Onshi is very good the best I have ever read, rated higher than Berserk because it has an ending. Again Vinland Saga also has a very similar style, although its another monthly unfinished one.

If you are looking for something similary dark but non medevil, Shamo is a very good dark fighting manga. Where the main character goes to a jouniour asylem for killing his parents and is a wuss but for some reason they all learn Karate in there (wtf lol) and when he comes out he decides to enter this karate sort of tournement. The best thing about it is that the main character is pretty evil.

thank you man, you have given me a sweet manga to read in Shamo, gonna go read it right now.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think that in a way Berserk and Vagabond have some interesting similarities in their protagonists, which seem both the same kind of (self chosen) outcasts to me. Vagabond always has to be recommended, but I specifically recommend it to people who like Gatsu - he has a good load of similarities, while beeing absolutely different in other ways, too.

Focussing more on a psychological aspect, I also see Kokou no Hito beeing a little similar in the protagonist (although the scenario is totally different - modern time, civil life story) as well as Wolfen Crest. The similarities seem really far off, but all of these have the same kind of Lone Wolf Protagonist.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would recommend Osamu Tezuka's Dororo. Artistically, it is very different from Berserk (think Astroboy). But storywise, it is pretty dark, compelling stuff. The protagonist Hyakkimaru's body was sacrificed to 48 demons as a baby. Each demon took a vital organ (eyes,nose,arms,legs...) The hero's adopted father fits him with prosthetic arms and legs with concealed blade in each arm.

Also, just like Guts, he is plagued by goblins that wish to take his body. By defeating each demon he regains his vital organ.

Anyways here's a video from the ps2 videogame which was loosely based on the manga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbM7ou4-ias

XeroxedEchidna

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any more? I've read everything mentioned here and liked them all a lot. My favorite/the best fit were the ones mentioned by CBlitz (mentioned exactly what I would have). Thanks.

Cyber34

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A manga by the name of "Dark Mage" which can be found here http://www.mangafox.com/manga/dark_mage/ is similar to Berserk. It mixes the hardcore action and fantasy adventure theme better then Ubell Blatt and almost as good as Berserk.

Asahina

Reaction score
Country
United States
A Manhwa called Gwi (Ghost).
You can read it here: EGscans Reader

The series action almost resembles Berserk. But the main character doesn't look too buff, he seems more agile and a bit of a sword master.
It has action, adventure, horses, history, martial arts, seinen and I think it is based in the olden days.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
How come nobody mentioned Priest? It's by far the closest to Berserk in terms of dark tone.It's losely based on Faust. Also Ivan is very similar to Guts during the Blackswordsman arc. Unfortunately the series are unfinished. The author went on an indeterminate hiatus and is working on other series.

Kijion

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am surprised no one brought up The Arms Peddler or Akame Ga Kiru

PB|Ichigo

Reaction score
Country
Germany
And no one came up with "Bastard!!"? IMO that would be the closest match for Berserk as it's a familiar setting also with good artwork and it's running since 1988 and has up till today 27 volumes (lol). So there are some simillarities ;)

Wikipedia-Link

AW-check:

Last edited:

Gantzter127

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Not the biggest fan of berserk but I have to recommend both Claymore and Shingeki no Kyojin. Also try Hellsing and Jackals.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
And no one came up with "Bastard!!"? IMO that would be the closest match for Berserk as it's a familiar setting also with good artwork and it's running since 1988 and has up till today 27 volumes (lol). So there are some simillarities ;)

Wikipedia-Link

AW-check:
Bastard!! doesn't have that much in common with Berserk, but I do enjoy it. The tone in Bastard!! was never very serious - heavy metal references and DS sexual escapades. The main protagonist is the opposite of Guts - he is a mainly a magic user with a lustful personality. But the art is quite good. I think Miura even mentions Bastard!! mangaka as a fellow colleague.