Info - Manga will be available on Chrunchyroll! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info Manga will be available on Chrunchyroll!

epictoads

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/26/crunchyroll-to-digitally-distribute-kodansha-manga

I'm not sure how many have seen this but it's a big step for the industry. As of Wednesday we'll be getting Kodansha Manga on Cruncyroll for Premium and free users the same day as Japan with legit translations, and we'll be supporting the industry by reading it. Including SnK, Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins and others. No need to visit scan sites or fan-translations now! Woop woop

:super Thumbs up to everyone involved in making this partnership. It's a great leap forward for Manga in the West

Last edited:

Hectorpops

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
RIP SnK Translators

Faerie

Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
Personally, I consider this bad news, as I despise CR, that lying, awful excuse for a company.

I'm happy with the way things are woth SnK, getting the releases and later buying the japanese volumes when they come out (as I can't physically get Bessatsu or now Aria in my neck of the woods. They stock every other magazine imaginable though... :-_-). This is awful....

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, I consider this bad news, as I despise CR, that lying, awful excuse for a company.

I'm happy with the way things are woth SnK, getting the releases and later buying the japanese volumes when they come out (as I can't physically get Bessatsu or now Aria in my neck of the woods. They stock every other magazine imaginable though... :-_-). This is awful....
What's wrong with Crunchyroll? This is gonna help the fans, the companies, and Manga in general in the west. It's win/win.

Last edited:

Faerie

Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
What's wrong with Chrunchyroll? This is gonna help the fans, the companies, and Manga in general in the west. It's win/win.
That's what I thought too, until I actually subscribed to their "service", noticed how bad it was. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to love CR, I really did. I even gave them multiple tries, but the experience was always the same.
They make wild claims about "same day" releases, yet are very often late, or at least slower than fansubbers. Not rarely lower quality too. Let that sink in for a moment: Slower and often lower quality than people who DON'T get paid for their work.
And every time they admit to beign seriously delayed, they don't even apologize or explain why and act as if it was their good right to take as long as they want without explanation, as if they were offering a free service. Bad work ethic is not ok in business.

In addition to that, at least for some shows (every show I watched) they downright lie, putting their supposed "same day" release to a somewhat later date. I still remember trusting them, paying them in good faith thinking I'm "supporting the industry and getting speedy releases", then checking the actual schedule, and not only was it released ages ago, it was already fansubbed everywhere. I don't mind if they're slower, if everything else was great AND if they were honest about it. But they downright LIE to their customers, and that is the part that angers me. Lying to your customers is THE deal breaker for me.

Add to that their rude and downright snooty "customer service" and their horrible video player (which is unusable for me, and I never found out why. It doesn't play properly 95% of the time. Neither do I know why they don't make it clear that you will not be able to use most their service abroad (Continental Europe)- another lie by omission which other subscription services make clear before you pick a package. In fact, Crunchy doesn't even care to solve issues after you already bought their service- instead, upon friendly, but confused inquiry why I suddenly don't have access to almost every show that was promised to me anymore, they replied: "We're sorry you're offended by the way licensing works". No words.)

They've never, imo, been able to shake their not-so-legal-downright-criminal-stealing-from-other-fansubbers past.... I'm all for suporting the industry, and I will do it wherever I can, but crunchyroll in an unprofessional, lying excuse for a company through and through.
I'd subscribe to a different company in a heartbeat, or even CR if they came under new management, but as it stands, I absolutely hate that site. Total shame for what could've been a great concept.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and just had a bad experience, but that's the impression they've given me over the many years they've been in their (shady) "business".... :/

Sorry for the long rant :^_^ CR just bothers me ... a lot.. ugh.. *nibbles on cookies to make it better*

edit: Hooooly Cow, I just went and checked them out again based on this topic, and I noticed their INSANE markup on merchandising.. just when I thought they couldn't get any more unethical D: I feel sorry for the poor, unsuspecting chaps who actually buy that off them. Ouch.

Last edited:

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I thought too, until I actually subscribed to their "service", noticed how bad it was. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to love CR, I really did. I even gave them multiple tries, but the experience was always the same.
They make wild claims about "same day" releases, yet are very often late, or at least slower than fansubbers. Not rarely lower quality too. Let that sink in for a moment: Slower and often lower quality than people who DON'T get paid for their work.
And every time they admit to beign seriously delayed, they don't even apologize or explain why and act as if it was their good right to take as long as they want without explanation, as if they were offering a free service. Bad work ethic is not ok in business.

In addition to that, at least for some shows (every show I watched) they downright lie, putting their supposed "same day" release to a somewhat later date. I still remember trusting them, paying them in good faith thinking I'm "supporting the industry and getting speedy releases", then checking the actual schedule, and not only was it released ages ago, it was already fansubbed everywhere. I don't mind if they're slower, if everything else was great AND if they were honest about it. But they downright LIE to their customers, and that is the part that angers me. Lying to your customers is THE deal breaker for me.

Add to that their rude and downright snooty "customer service" and their horrible video player (which is unusable for me, and I never found out why. It doesn't play properly 95% of the time. Neither do I know why they don't make it clear that you will not be able to use most their service abroad (Continental Europe)- another lie by omission which other subscription services make clear before you pick a package. In fact, Crunchy doesn't even care to solve issues after you already bought their service- instead, upon friendly, but confused inquiry why I suddenly don't have access to almost every show that was promised to me anymore, they replied: "We're sorry you're offended by the way licensing works". No words.)

They've never, imo, been able to shake their not-so-legal-downright-criminal-stealing-from-other-fansubbers past.... I'm all for suporting the industry, and I will do it wherever I can, but crunchyroll in an unprofessional, lying excuse for a company through and through.
I'd subscribe to a different company in a heartbeat, or even CR if they came under new management, but as it stands, I absolutely hate that site. Total shame for what could've been a great concept.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and just had a bad experience, but that's the impression they've given me over the many years they've been in their (shady) "business".... :/

Sorry for the long rant :^_^ CR just bothers me ... a lot.. ugh.. *nibbles on cookies to make it better*
Just because you hate Crunchyroll doesn't make the fact that they are offering a new service bad so that's a bit uncalled for. By the looks of it this is gonna help out so many fans and the actual people making the Manga.

I'm not sure how long ago you had CR but I've never had anything but a positive experience from them. The video player and has always worked in 1080p and shows have been normally up quickly. Sometimes fansubs (many of which DO make money BTW) can be up quicker but are usually in low-quality with poor subbing because they are rushed.

Granted I haven't had CR for that long but the company has done never let me down. The service they provide to me at least is A++. No other site does near what they do.

Last edited:

Faerie

Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
My last CR membership was around January/February I think.

It's not about me disliking CR, it's about justified concerns about what they are offering and/or claiming- and if you look around the net, you'll see it's not just "me hating them and calling their service bad", quite a few people regard them with distrust, in particular those who have been around before 2008 and know their history... you say you haven't had CR for long, so you may not have been around then, or haven't heard these things etc, but that's ok. It's nice you personally had a good experience with them. That does not however make anything I said less legitimate.

Their video quality is good (not introducing a fix for known issues aside), I'll give you that, but that's about the only thing CR has going for them.
Fansubs have every right to be low quality, since they're distributed for free (making a little bit via ads or a few donations to pay for their site upkeep/expenses is in no way the same as asking for and receiving payment for your services- subbing is NOT their job). But that's just my opinion.
It's a fact though, that paid translators have no excuse for being of low or mediocre quality, and that's what CR subs are. I translate professionally to subsidise my studies, and I can tell you, if I handed in the kind of stuff CR tries to pass off as "quality subs", I'd never see a penny.

But if you're fine with that, more power to you. I'm not saying that's wrong of you, or you shouldn't do it or that paying for streaming isn't the right thing to do- it is, just imo not via CR.
Personally, I value honesty and I don't feel we, as well-meaning fans who just want to support the creators. are getting that from this company that straight up lies to their customers and provides lazy, low-quality releases... so yes, imo, everything CR gets their hands on is bad news.

I'd rather see legitimate ventures with no shady history, like the japanese Daisuki Inc (where actual studios are shareholders), or even Funi make it and take over the streaming market, then I could in good conscience put my money there.

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I can't vouch for the accuracy of subs, I'd have thought the words would depend on the actual person sitting there translating it. Fansubs as well as Funimation and Cruncyroll subs can vary.

CR offer Anime for free with adds, which is basically the same as fansubs but with some money going back to the right people. I've got no hate for fansubs or scan sites but I only opt to use them when series aren't available anywhere else. Honestly I would pay for CR even if the vids were in terrible quality and they had half the shows they do now, simply because it's a bargain and supports the industry. There's no excuse for me at least not to.

I know about CR's history but I assumed that's over now. I don't particularly want to get into an argument but I'll just say that what CR are doing is helping the Anime industry and the fans along with it. And that this partnership with Kodansha is gonna be great for many readers in the West as well as the people at Kodansha. I couldn't be happier.

Yumpo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just happened to look at Kodansha USA's Tumblr blog, rest-assured(if you guys buy the official USA english volumes) that the ones doing the translation for SnK and Fairy Tail(If you're a fan of this) are the same ones as the people who releases the volumes. http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/po...crunchyroll-gonna-use-a-different-translation . So expect that their translation will make use of 'Yeager,' 'Survey Corp,' 'Levi,' etc. Too bad for those who want the other spellings though. XD

And geez, I mean almost everybody here is already up to speed with the SnK manga. So I assume we practically don't need subscription for it. Unless you guys aren't just in it for SnK at all...XD

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I just happened to look at Kodansha USA's Tumblr blog, rest-assured(if you guys buy the official USA english volumes) that the ones doing the translation for SnK and Fairy Tail(If you're a fan of this) are the same ones as the people who releases the volumes. http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/po...crunchyroll-gonna-use-a-different-translation . So expect that their translation will make use of 'Yeager,' 'Survey Corp,' 'Levi,' etc. Too bad for those who want the other spellings though. XD

And geez, I mean almost everybody here is already up to speed with the SnK manga. So I assume we practically don't need subscription for it. Unless you guys aren't just in it for SnK at all...XD
That's even more awesome. So the translations are official then. Personally I'm in it for The Seven Deadly Sins and SnK, or whatever otherbManga they have if it looks interesting.