Mangahelpers Body Improvement Club by Desin24 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mangahelpers Body Improvement Club by Desin24

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hello, lovely MH Community. I'm @desin24 and I've been on MH for a long time but never did any of these introduction threads, not even as an OP Mod. Guess I was busy keeping Sanji x Zoro shippers apart. Either way, I wanna use the space to introduce myself to fulfill a promise from the Senpai Award Campaign and this is the beginning of the MH Body Improvement Club.

Does that make sense on a Manga/Anime Forum? I don’t care, let’s go.

What’s the purpose of this Club?

It’s December which brings Christmas Cooking and also Day drinking to avoid family interactions for many of us (I might be projecting). Add to that COVID lockdowns and you have a mix that will push many of us towards our vices and habits that are unhealthy and make one unhappy.

The Club is supposed to be a place where those who don’t just want to give in to their weaker sides gather to improve. Nobody is perfect but you might as well strive towards it. Personally, I’m doing much better when I have a goal in mind whether it is doing an iron man or getting a certain grade on an exam. The seduction of uselessly wasting time on social media, Netflix, or anything else is big when “2020 is a shit year anyway” but not here.

This Club is for the people who don’t want to go gentle into that good night but let the year end with a bang. Time to get shit done even!

This is the short version of it.
My personal motivation of why I am insanely passionate about this topic is in here:
Wind the clock back 5 years and you’d see the least likely person to start a body improvement club. Coming into the ring with a weight of 111kg of pure laziness and the mindset of a heavily depressed hopeless young man, things were pretty grim. With a non-existing social circle and a rather precarious family situation, you’d have the right set up to get to a noose and end it. Funnily enough, I somehow happened to find this lovely anecdote about Bruce Lee: .

If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.

That’s when a light went on in my head and I realized that it’s in my hand. If I am in hell it’s because I let it be this way. I am in control of who I am so I might as well change that into something I like. Fuck the world and everyone in it. If I am still alive might as well make the best out of it and show everyone the middle finger by being happy in spite of everything else. I started using the human body the way it was intended to, in motion and not sitting in a chair. Within a year I lost 37kg, changed to a successful degree, and found friends. All the problems that made my life shit could be affected by my hand. Just had to take responsibility and stop with the bullshit blaming of everyone else. These are just the bullet points but the reason I share the story is that I believe that if there is even one person struggling with a similarly hopeless situation they can come to the same realization as me. It may not be easy but the whole world is open for your taking if you dare to. It will not necessarily work the way you want it to but at least you have a goal that you fight towards and may be a step towards finding meaning.

The story is, of course, a lot longer but that would be half a novel, if anyone is curious I can share more of course.

How does the Body Improvement Club work?

Some people may know already but I like betting. I also like commitment and that is usually much higher when there is a degree of accountability. Introducing "pledges".

Whoever joins has to set at least one goal per month. Whether it is “running twice a week for the rest of the month” or “training for an ironman in September 2021”. No matter how small or big what matters is the commitment. Set a specific goal, name a date/time frame and the best part is of course your punishment if you fail to keep your word. Once all three elements are in there you are part of the Club and your pledge shall be upheld.

Be free to share your struggles and your successes. There is no step that is too small as long as the direction is right. This does not mean that breaking the commitment will be forgiven. Whatever you bet, you gotta do or you’ll end on the Wall of Shame. Now I am not a physical trainer or a physician/dietician so the only advice I can give is personal experience and information I gathered in the last 5 years on this journey towards being a better me.

How does one leave the Body Improvement Club?

Death

I sure hope at least someone will join. I know Senpai @SirSamuel016 will or else his title will be revoked.

Let's take the chance and become better versions of ourselves!

Evil3ye

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I will join. Will submit my pledge by end of this week (my first pledge :mono).

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
shouldnt this be in MtM section

oh I forgot to reply that PM :derp soon I guess :derp

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
shouldnt this be in MtM section

oh I forgot to reply that PM :derp soon I guess :derp
I wasn't sure where to post it so it ended up here. If it needs moving, so shall it be. You can still join though? Take up the Batman Workout Routine from Year 1?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

As a co-founder I was already subscribed! Glad you listened to me and made this here today! :yay
Looking forward to your sheep and your pledge, both sooner rather than later
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Time to get the party started so here is my pledge:

Challenge: Run a half marathon distance in under 2h45min

Date: Until the 31st of December

Punishment: Since it would be truly depressing to fail the first pledge in my own thread I shall sing Unravel for everyone on here for maximum depression.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Time to get the party started so here is my pledge:

Challenge: Run a half marathon distance in under 2h45min

Date: Until the 31st of December

Punishment: Since it would be truly depressing to fail the first pledge in my own thread I shall sing Unravel for everyone on here for maximum depression.
Damn son that's nasty.

Looking forward to the result :kappa

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Holy crap, desin is not fucking around. 21km to start with? Hope you make it.

Here's me wanting to start off with something easy peasy, motivational and achievable. For my first pledge I will work on my endurance and discipline by training body and soul.

Start tomorrow 05.12.20 I pledge to do a Yoga 30-day-challange (every day a yoga session from 30 to 90 minutes), and I will complete it with only 3 break days (:P) by 06.01.21.

Punishment Santa selfie in Members Picture thread, by not completing 30 days by 06.01.

I took 3 break days à la one every 10 days, but also due to the fact that I'm moving countries in this time period, as well as Xmas and Nye holiday season. Nonetheless, personal goal is completing by 03.01. but realistically I want the buffer to not demotivate myself on the first pledge.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Not sure the timeframe (or weight) is realistic tbh, but I wanna do something strength-y.
The only limit is the mind. With enough consistent work, you could get there! Even if you don't hit the timeframe it'll be cool to see how close you can get :heh

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Not sure the timeframe (or weight) is realistic tbh, but I wanna do something strength-y.
It all depends on your baseline and how much time you have to train. Also depends if you start lifting for the first time or if you have some muscle memory you access which will help you get stronger faster. Newbie gainz are amazing if you are dedicated so the sky is the limit but always take care. Overtraining injuries are such a bitch it's fucking awful. Warming up and knowing your body are key.

This makes me want to cry a bit because gyms are still closed here and my gf doesn't tolerate even more gym equipment in the room so I'm limited a bit when it comes to goals :(

Brandish in the gym the next months

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Holy crap, desin is not fucking around. 21km to start with? Hope you make it.

Here's me wanting to start off with something easy peasy, motivational and achievable. For my first pledge I will work on my endurance and discipline by training body and soul.

Start tomorrow 05.12.20 I pledge to do a Yoga 30-day-challange (every day a yoga session from 30 to 90 minutes), and I will complete it with only 3 break days (:P) by 06.01.21.

Punishment Santa selfie in Members Picture thread, by not completing 30 days by 06.01.

I took 3 break days à la one every 10 days, but also due to the fact that I'm moving countries in this time period, as well as Xmas and Nye holiday season. Nonetheless, personal goal is completing by 03.01. but realistically I want the buffer to not demotivate myself on the first pledge.
Well I ran a half marathon 3 years ago without any training and I was in insane pain due to my stupidity. Also took me over 3 hours. Now running is just part of my general routine so I want to see how much I improved. Just wanna get my new shoes my old ones are wrecking my hips.

Yoga is pure medicine though so that is a fantastic choice for a challenge! Do you know which yoga routine you'll do? I do the P90 X3 Yoga routine more or less daily and it's pretty great if you have no time so hit me up if you wanna check it out.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Can I do something like this:

Realistic goal - 150kg bench 8 reps, 3 sets
Realistic timeframe - July '21?
It's also missing a punishment to be a proper pledge 😈

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I already lost 60 pounds.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's amazing. Congrats to you! How did you go about it, if I may ask?
I went for walks in the morning and jumped rope at night.

I wouldn't eat after 6:30 and cut artificial sugars from my diet.

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Workout and complimentary diet do indeed go hand in hand. Can't do the one without an other.

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
I went for walks in the morning and jumped rope at night.

I wouldn't eat after 6:30 and cut artificial sugars from my diet.
Sounds so easy and yet it is effective. Cutting out sugar does wonders though. I like the saying "you can't outrun your fork".

So are you at your goal yet or will you continue going down?

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sounds so easy and yet it is effective. Cutting out sugar does wonders though. I like the saying "you can't outrun your fork".

So are you at your goal yet or will you continue going down?
Sounds easy but it was hell. Cutting sugar was the easy part but cutting off the bad food was terrible.

Nah I'm still overweight so I gotta keep going.

Evil3ye

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Yoga is pure medicine though so that is a fantastic choice for a challenge! Do you know which yoga routine you'll do? I do the P90 X3 Yoga routine more or less daily and it's pretty great if you have no time so hit me up if you wanna check it out.
Oh I'm not so advanced to even be able to tell what that means. But there are these beginner friendly yoga challanges on youtube. One of them I already tried like three times, never made it past day 4 or 5. Not because it's hard or anything, but my will was so weak. So I am trying to pull this one through now.

Just finished my day 1 and already encountered some demotivational stuff. Like I don't have a matt here, doing it on this plastic carpet, which comes with some extra challenges itself. Once the palms get sweaty gets slippy so not so easy maintain the endurance focused stretch positions. Have to figure something out, or just do what's possible and then add in some alternative exercises.

But anyways, I'm off to a start, so got the ball rolling. :thumbs