Discussion - Manhwa Improving Art | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Manhwa Improving Art

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Do you see improvement in manhwa art, as compared to few years ago? Especially, the colored series?

I started reading Son Yeon Jeon [Limit] and I noticed many improvements from other manhwa series. The art was not typical comic-style as most other series have. May be the art is in an evolutionary state.

What are your thoughts?

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't know, I think it really depends more on the author. Some of them have good art from the start. But well you have read more than me and for a longer time so you are probably right.
But I find that web-comics tend to have a generic art

TheBoss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't know, I think it really depends more on the author. Some of them have good art from the start. But well you have read more than me and for a longer time so you are probably right.
But I find that web-comics tend to have a generic art
Well u cant say that to all web-comics, TOG and Kubera for a example have pretty different artworks. All webtoons, mangas, and manhwas have its differences and you cant possible lump all of them together. I myself get amused every week by how great SIU art is, and specially because its in a weekly basis.
Peace :^_^

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Well I find Kubera coloring awful and not particulary fond of the drawings. TOG is nice but it's not my favorite one. You can see it is done with computer and computer drawings are not as dynamic as the one made by hand. But since I have discovered Peak, I can say web-comics with very good art exist.

TheBoss

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well I find Kubera coloring awful and not particulary fond of the drawings. TOG is nice but it's not my favorite one. You can see it is done with computer and computer drawings are not as dynamic as the one made by hand. But since I have discovered Peak, I can say web-comics with very good art exist.
At the beginning I also found it really bad, but currygon improved his art A LOT later on, so you should give another look in my opinion. Yeah its dont in a computer, but who cares? its looks 10x better than anything i saw in a weekly manga and the chapter are 2x longer, besides being full color.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't know, I find computer drawings rather plain in general. I wonder how you can say that it's 10 times better than manga, especially if Kubera or Tower of god are your references

No color but the work on the greys, textures and shadows makes it a superb page. That is something I really lack with computer drawings

TheBoss

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
its a matter of opinion, I myself dont understand a thing about drawings, I just comment on what I read and I found more pleasing. And I read a lot of mangas. As I have already worked with Corel and Ilustrator I know the capabilities of a computer drawing and i know that they lose nothing in comparison with hand drawing.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm hard to say. I definitely feel like I have seen a rise in art quality but when I get down to thinking about specifics it doesn't really seem like that holds true.

I've always been somewhat impressed with the art talent found in manhwa. Series like The Breaker, ID, and Veritas always looked great. But the addition of color to the webcomic genre is such a huge leap. Color comics are a whole dimension that I feel like manhwa seems to be steadily exploring, experimenting, and getting better at. To me, I think the main advancement in recent years has been the refinement of that color drawing.

In other words Tower of God, Magician, and Noblesse aren't really new but their artists have improved a lot and that has effected how I view the genre.

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Well said. So far, the colored art isn't really top notch. In comparison, manhua have amazing colored drawings. Series like City of Darkness and Feng Shen Ji are really gems to looks at. I hope, manhwa will keep its originality and at the same time, improving the quality of colored drawings.