Manhwa - [Manhwa] Lookism by Taejoon Park | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Manhwa [Manhwa] Lookism by Taejoon Park

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama, Manhwa, Webtoon
Author: Taejoon Park
Artist: Taejoon Park

Description: A miracle is about to happen to an unattractive loner guy... Updates on LINE Webtoon every Sunday.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering if any one else still reads Lookism?

The story definitely took a different turn than I had initially expected when I started reading it. Despite themes like bullying, in the beginning it seemed a rather simple story about a boy who for some reason ends up with another (hotter) body. With ofcourse all the problems that come with that.
And now, when the english translations are reaching chapter 300 - it's this story with very detailed backgrounds about most characters in the series, often very dark themes are involved with this. Whether it's their past or their present. I quite like that about this series.
Is it realistic? No, besides the double body their super human fighting strenght seems out of this world - but I really do appreciate the tackling of the type of subjects that it does.
Nowadays it does feel like the focus isn't on the main character at all anymore, with all the arcs about the other characters. For the future I hope the story will shift back more to Daniel and his little problem (as it's still unexplained HOW he got this second body), feels like the four crews/hostel storyline has been going on forever.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was wondering if any one else still reads Lookism?

The story definitely took a different turn than I had initially expected when I started reading it. Despite themes like bullying, in the beginning it seemed a rather simple story about a boy who for some reason ends up with another (hotter) body. With ofcourse all the problems that come with that.
And now, when the english translations are reaching chapter 300 - it's this story with very detailed backgrounds about most characters in the series, often very dark themes are involved with this. Whether it's their past or their present. I quite like that about this series.
Is it realistic? No, besides the double body their super human fighting strenght seems out of this world - but I really do appreciate the tackling of the type of subjects that it does.
Nowadays it does feel like the focus isn't on the main character at all anymore, with all the arcs about the other characters. For the future I hope the story will shift back more to Daniel and his little problem (as it's still unexplained HOW he got this second body), feels like the four crews/hostel storyline has been going on forever.
I feel as though Daniel gets his own central story arc expanded on in between the larger arcs with the 4 Major Crews. Take the current Workers Arc for example. Leading up to their capture by OneMCN, Daniel was investigating the identity of his superhuman/super hot body, and its links to the President, Gun and the Crews. Each arc unravels a layer of the mystery. I do think that we'll start seeing more work put into Daniel's super body, but I will concede that this subplot took far too long to come into the foreground.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I mean it does give us tiny pieces of information each arc, I really do agree about that - it sometimes just feels like Daniel isn't the MC at all anymore during those parts of those arcs. I don't dislike the other characters though, they are also very interesting.
Hope this arc will get us a bit deeper in the mystery and not just tid bits of information like we had before.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I mean it does give us tiny pieces of information each arc, I really do agree about that - it sometimes just feels like Daniel isn't the MC at all anymore during those parts of those arcs. I don't dislike the other characters though, they are also very interesting.
Hope this arc will get us a bit deeper in the mystery and not just tid bits of information like we had before.
Yeah, I feel as though him investigating his body is the tipping point. Something I really want to see is the reintroduction of Crystal as a relevant character. She got shoehorned in as an ornament during the Hostel arc. After Workers will come the real meat of Daniel's mystery I'm sure. Workers seem like that classic final phase in a video game, where the final level has the most advanced and flashy enemies. That's what Workers are. The Gatekeepers for the real big boss, if you will.

As for current events, I can't wait to see what happens between Daniel and Goo Kim. That guy is as deadly as Gun, but twice as insane. Should be entertaining.