Shounen - Midori Days | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Midori Days

CupofDice

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: Midori no Hibi (Midori Days)
Genres: Shounen, Comedy, Romance, Slice of life
Author: Kazurou Inoue
Artist: Kazurou Inoue
Publication: Shonen Sunday
Start Date: January 18, 2003
End Date: October 18, 2004
Number of chapters at review: 85 (complete)
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 85

General Overview: Seiji Sawamura is not your average delinquent, since he protects the weaker kids from bullies, but that still doesn't change the fact that most kids think he is no good. Even worse for him, he is unpopular with girls. He does have secret admirers though, and one morning a girl by the name of Midori is transported to his right hand.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9
The characters are well drawn, and their various emotions are shown nicely. There are a lot of really good comedic effects that will probably have you laughing out loud.

Plot: 9
The plot in the beginning centers on Seiji's attempts to hide Midori from everyone to Seiji's attempts to get a girlfriend, and Midori's attempts to stop that from ever happening. The plot also focuses on how Seiji changes as he gains new friends. This is definitely the funniest manga I have ever read, with the ludicrous situations that his friends often get Seiji into.

Characters: 10
You will definitely remember this cast of characters. They are realistic, funny, and you will wish you knew them. The growth of Seiji is well handled and Midori is so freaking cute as a hand puppet. Every single character fits right in, and even with the comedic nature of the manga, they come off as real humans.

Themes: 10
How friendship can open someone up. Corny? Yeah, but it works really well.

Originality: 9
Kazurou Inoue puts a nice twist on the average shounen romance comedy, and the story does get deeper on the relationship side in the latter half. Whereas other mangakas would have Seiji mooning over Midori (well, first they would have to be genius enough to come up with the idea of a right hand girlfriend), he pretty much ignores her as a object of love, which of course leads to funny situations.

Overall: 10
This was the first shounen romance comedy manga I read (back when all I knew was Naruto and Bleach), and still the only one that I have read that is completed. The fact that I can still remember the storyline and characters should show you how good Midori Days is. I also read To Love Ru, and other mangas of the like, and often can't remember what the last chapter was about. Like all mangas of the genre it does get repetitive here and there, but this is the only manga to ever knock a tear out of me. Also don't think that the jokes are focused on what a guy can do with a right hand girlfriend, because that doesn't show up at all. If you don't check out this classic, you are doing a disservice to yourself. If you like this, check out Ai Kora, another manga with a twist by the same mangaka.

You can find it at #lurk on irc.highway.net (gotlurk.net) or read online at onemanga.com

Last edited by a moderator:

bigtymer32

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
i can never find the manga of this i love the anime ;)

chison

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the anime is really a tradition that i will alway recommend it to other...the music and comedy love and life are great...

thumb up to midori no hibi

earen

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I just finished reading Midori no Hibi! So that's were Ai Kora came from! The character art were very similar.

Just wanted to say that Midori no Hibi is a great read, which will leave you feeling very warm inside!!
Very much recommended!

Gelcertified

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I haven't read the manga of Midori Days but I did watch the anime and it's good! :teehee