Shoujo - Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title:Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken a.k.a. The Stand-In Count Adventures, The Substitute Count Adventure, 替身伯爵的冒险, 身代わり伯爵の冒険, Laissée pour comte (French)
Genres:Shoujo, Comedy, Gender Bender, Historical Romance
Author: Seike Mimori
Artist: Shibata Isuzu
Publication: Kadokawa Shoten serialized in Asuka and Bean Ace
Start Date: 2008
End Date: N/A
Number of chapters at review: 10
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 10

General Overview:
Mireille is a hard working baker. She dreams of making her family's bakery the best in all of Sigismund. Her father died when she was young and her twin brother, Frederick, was adopted at the age of six. The only communication that Mireille has with her brother is by letter.

One day, her brother sent her a letter saying how discouraged he is that the woman he loves has been engaged to another man. Mireille responded that Frederick should be more manly and steal her. A few days later, a man named Richard arrived and forcibly took her away to Frederick's adopted family's home. Frederick had eloped with the woman he loved. What's worse, this woman was also the crowned Prince's fiancee.

In an effort to clear her brother's name and also being Frederick's twin, Mireille undertook Fredericks's role as the young Count of Bernhardt.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 10
Very good artistic work. I was awed by the first page and just knew that this manga was going to be well drawn. Shibata Isuzu's artwork is very beautiful in my regard. The very first thing that caught my eyes were that the finger nails were drawn. The clothing are well detailed. By the fashion, it was clear to what the era was and what type of people the characters were.

Plot: 9
The plot was an engaging story for the first 8 chapters. That is not to say that the rest weren't. The story seemed to have climaxed around chapter 7 and then died down. By chapter 10, a new plot is unfolding. I'm sure that the first 8 were just like an introduction. If the story does progress, which it will, a deeper and more pronounced story might unfold regarding Mireille and her involvement in the political scene of Altermaris.

Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken has really made me reflect upon it's story development as a shoujo manga versus shounen mangas.

Characters: 8
There could have been a slew of characters but it's nice that Seike Mimori focused just on Mireille and those immediately around her. Other characters were introduced as Mireille progressed through her day as her twin brother, Frederick.

Frederick, Mireille's twin brother, always has a presence because the readers are made to think about him. When he does appear, it a very flamboyant manner.

Theme: 5
With the start of the next arc, the entire theme might be how Mireille is duped over and over again by her brother into doing strange task. However, there could be a grander theme that is awaiting us as the story could be further developed into a larger political intrigue or perhaps something more mundane could develop. Hopefully, Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken won't disappoint.

Originality: 6
The premise of the story where Mireille assume Frederick's position seems interesting but it could be overplayed if the mangaka is not too careful. This repetition could cause the manga to lose reader interest instead. The manga has to come up with another way to keep the story going but could play on the identity change in hopefully a more intuitive way.

Overall: 8
It was a very pleasant read. A good change of pace from reading all those shounen mangas. There was that sophistication that kept me reading. Instead of relying on brute strength to push the story, it mixed in intrigue and narratives to moved the story along. Shounen manga tends to feature a strong-willed protagonist pushing the plot through with sheer emotional ferocity.

I do give my kudos to the author and artist. Truly, the teamwork displayed by both Seike Mimori and Shibata Isuzu is a wonderful combination. They have produced a very good manga.

However, I'm not sure how the story will pan out from here. Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken most likely could've ended with less than ten chapters. A continuation is indeed interesting but hopefully, it won't weaken it.

I would recommend this manga to those that like adventure, intrigue, and humor.

Last edited: