Fantasy - Mihawk vs Sengoku | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fantasy Mihawk vs Sengoku

MBVC

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
Greatest swordsman vs one of the greatest df user. Could Mihawk's skills overcome the power of Sengoku hax buddha df? Mihawk has an advantage of age over Sengoku, but is this imporatant factor enough to win against the ex-chief admiral?

DutchPhoenix

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
close combat mihawk wins
long distance mihawk more destructive power

mihawk wins gg

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Not seeing how Mihawk wins this. Sengoku is in the league of Garp, Roger and WB. Mihawk himself acknowledged that he was not at WB's level. Sengoku even managed to use one hand to hold an enraged Garp (which says a lot). Then he has his hax DF. Mihawk is strong and all but we don't have reason to believe he can defeat the likes of Sengoku. Sengoku's old age would probably make the battle closer than it should normally be but he still wins.

DutchPhoenix

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Not seeing how Mihawk wins this. Sengoku is in the league of Garp, Roger and WB. Mihawk himself acknowledged that he was not at WB's level. Sengoku even managed to use one hand to hold an enraged Garp (which says a lot). Then he has his hax DF. Mihawk is strong and all but we don't have reason to believe he can defeat the likes of Sengoku. Sengoku's old age would probably make the battle closer than it should normally be but he still wins.
mihawk wanted to measure if wb really was so much stronger, he didnt say WB was in another level.
Also WB doenst equal sengoku in terms of power.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
mihawk wanted to measure if wb really was so much stronger, he didnt say WB was in another level.
Also WB doenst equal sengoku in terms of power.
Mihawk said he wanted to see how much the difference was between him and WB. That implies he knows he's not as strong as WB. Sengoku and WB are in the same power bracket. Sengoku may or may not be stronger but he is at that level. He was probably better off at the war seeing as WB was ill.

DutchPhoenix

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
shanks and mihawk used to be rivals, and shanks is nowadays a younko, and mihawk swordman #1 in the world.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
shanks and mihawk used to be rivals, and shanks is nowadays a younko, and mihawk swordman #1 in the world.
Exactly they used to be rivals. When WB even talks about shanks and Mihawk battles, he implies it used to be quite a while back in the past. It doesn't mean Mihawk is still Shank's equal. Also, even if he were, it doesn't really change much. Mihawk is obviously very strong, I'm not arguing with that. However, Sengoku has been placed in a bracket even higher than that. The WB, Roger, Garp level is pretty much as high as it gets (so far at least) and Sengoku is supposed to be in that zone. Yes his power would have declined with age but it shouldn't be that much that he would lose to Mihawk. In fact, old age hasn't been shown to bring much of a handicap. WB's situation at marine ford was because of his illness.

DutchPhoenix

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
i dont see sengoku beating someone at younko level sorry.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
First Mihawk hasn't actually been stated to be yonko level. Second, WB was a yonko. The strongest one in fact. Not really getting you tbh.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Sengoku is currently rather old, the more interesting matchup would be mihawk vs sengoku in his prime.

From a plot point of view mihawk is zoro's main objective. His defeat is the realization of zoro's dream, an end of manga event. He also only stopped fighting shanks because shanks lost an arm, that is not something which suggests mihawk would currently lag behind shanks even if shanks is a yonko. I guess a bit depended on the outcome of the duels between shanks and mihawk however the manga has never alluded to the guys being ties of in shanks favor.

With all of that in mind I would go for mihawk. He probably is in his physical prime whereas sengoku is well past it. Of course, I am not saying sengoku is by any means weak. However the situation is that mihawk's actual position in the world as "the strongest swordsman" is pretty much comparable to that of a yonko or admiral in terms of power.

kamikazededios

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
Hello guys I may enjoy to this discussion about this fight, I will vote for Mihawk because Sengoku nowadays is too old and one of the factor that determine how a character will win a battle is its healthy.

If we remembered the fight between Whitebeard and Akainu we can see that the Old guy coudln't stand a chance with the Admiral because of his condition.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Tbh, I don't see age being that much of a factor. Rayleigh is rather old but it didn't by any means inhibit his ability of fight on par with an admiral despite being out of action from quite a number of years. WB's problem at the war was his illness. It was specifically because of a sudden attack due to his illness that Akainu managed to get an actual hit in. Marco even remarked that WB would never have gotten hit by squard but it was his deteriorating health condition that made him get hit. Considering that, Sengoku being old shouldn't affect him much. He is not sick like WB was at the war

In addition, vista managed to hold his own against Mihawk even though Mihawk said he was taking the war seriously. The battle apparently ended in a stalemate. Later on, we have Akainu taking on commanders like vista and Marco along with Jinbei and having them on the defensive. Sengoku on the other hand was taking on BB and his ID crew with similar results.

Last edited:

MBVC

Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
WB df is useless against old age & diseases; but the buddha df is different, I expect it has some kind of extra special effects like Marco's phoenix df.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not really enough information to go on for either, but I'll lean towards Sengoku. Age shouldn't be as bad a factor as if was for Whitebeard as he isn't suffering from any ailments as Whitebeard was, which was the main issue he had during the war.

I'm leaning towards Sengoku mainly because of his status as a Golden Age Veteran, most of which have been shown to still be on a higher level than the majority of fighters on the sea still. Mihawks good, but I doubt he's good enough to steam roll Sengoku. Former Fleet Admiral is still quite the title. Him being opposite Garp is also a good indicator of his strength and I highly doubt Mihawk can do Garp in. Haki's a thing. Swords and Logias aren't the end all, be all in this series anymore.

Last edited:

Shasha23

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Mihawk said he wanted to see how much the difference was between him and WB. That implies he knows he's not as strong as WB. Sengoku and WB are in the same power bracket. Sengoku may or may not be stronger but he is at that level. He was probably better off at the war seeing as WB was ill.
I think the translation done for that statement made a lot of people miss the meaning behind Mihawk's words.

What Mihawk wanted to test wasn't his strength or distance but he wanted to see if WB was actually stronger/what made WB to be concided stronger, and he found his answer, in that unlike him or the Shichibukai WB has nakama and Mihawk saw the difference between him and WB that time that is why he didn't bother aiming for him again because someone would get in the way, Marco even made this clear when he told Kizaru they (Aokiji, Kizaru, Mihawk) cant aim straight for the king when they (Marco, Jozu, and the rest) are around their king.

To make it clear Mihawk wanted to see what is the difference between him and WB and the difference was that WB is a king with subject that will fight alongside him while Mihawk didn't have that

On topic
Mihawk should win this

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I think the translation done for that statement made a lot of people miss the meaning behind Mihawk's words.

What Mihawk wanted to test wasn't his strength or distance but he wanted to see if WB was actually stronger/what made WB to be concided stronger, and he found his answer, in that unlike him or the Shichibukai WB has nakama and Mihawk saw the difference between him and WB that time that is why he didn't bother aiming for him again because someone would get in the way, Marco even made this clear when he told Kizaru they (Aokiji, Kizaru, Mihawk) cant aim straight for the king when they (Marco, Jozu, and the rest) are around their king.

To make it clear Mihawk wanted to see what is the difference between him and WB and the difference was that WB is a king with subject that will fight alongside him while Mihawk didn't have that

On topic
Mihawk should win this
Nope. That wasn't it as well. Mihawk clearly said he wanted to test himself against the best. It had nothing to do with nakama or whatever. Honestly, that doesn't even fit. Mihawk didn't need to throw a sword slash to know that WB has tons of people working under and for him. The dude was a yonko and brought tons of people to the war. Mihawk was aware of the preparations the WG went to in preparation of the battle with WB. Also, shichibukia have nakama and allies too. Mihawk decides to be a lone wolf for the most part, doesn't mean everyone else and he already knew this. You're mistaking what Mihawk said to luffy for what he said to WB. Furthermore, having a crew doesn't guarantee being superior.

Last edited:

Shasha23

Banned
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Nope. That wasn't it as well. Mihawk clearly said he wanted to test himself against the best. It had nothing to do with nakama or whatever. Honestly, that doesn't even fit. Mihawk didn't need to throw a sword slash to know that WB has tons of people working under and for him. The dude was a yonko and brought tons of people to the war. Mihawk was aware of the preparations the WG went to in preparation of the battle with WB. Also, shichibukia have nakama and allies too. Mihawk decides to be a lone wolf for the most part, doesn't mean everyone else and he already knew this. You're mistaking what Mihawk said to luffy for what he said to WB. Furthermore, having a crew doesn't guarantee being superior.
you didn't undertstand what I said! :(

Mihawk wanted to test the difference between them and Whitebeard and that answer was given by Marco, meaning they cant reach Newgate that was the answer Mihawk got from his attempt at attacking the king thats why he didnt attack him again

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I understood what you said. It just didn't fit. Everything you mentioned were things Mihawk already knew. The reason why he attacked WB to being with was to see the difference in strength between them. Jozu intervened and Mihawk didn't get a chance to go against WB so he ended up not being able to see the difference in power between them but he did acknowledge that WB was stronger.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Aohige's translation of that line.

I'm just going to measure the "true" distance between us and that man... who seems close to us in appearance.
Mihawk was clearly aiming for Whitebeard to measure their power difference. He even showed surprised when Jozu intercepted the slash.

Shasha23

Banned
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I understood what you said. It just didn't fit. Everything you mentioned were things Mihawk already knew. The reason why he attacked WB to being with was to see the difference in strength between them. Jozu intervened and Mihawk didn't get a chance to go against WB so he ended up not being able to see the difference in power between them but he did acknowledge that WB was stronger.
he never acknowledged Newgate was stronger than him though, he never attacked him again because people would get in his way just like they did when Kizaru and Aokiji attacked him, only Akainu wasn't blocked when attacking Newgate, every time in the war when Kizaru and Aokiji attacked Marco and Jozu got in the way, Mihawk didn't bother like those 2 did, he understood from that first moment that people would interrupt him if he went for Newgate but the 2 admirals didn't get it its that simple.

My whole point was to point out to you people that your misinterpretation of those events was limiting your understanding of Mihawk, he never acknowledged Newgate to be stronger but saw that people got in the way of him reaching Newgate, Oda protected Whitebeard from a proper fight with Mihawk, Kizaru and Aokiji and only allowed Akainu to fight him 1 on 1 without Jozu and Marco getting in the way, that's all there is to it