Year Round - Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Year Round Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Thread

ErosVp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think everyone know but:

Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows the use of both striking and grappling arts while both standing and on the ground, including boxing, wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, kickboxing, karate and other styles.
The movement that led to the creation of the American and Japanese mixed martial arts scenes was rooted in two interconnected subcultures and two grappling styles, namely Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and shoot wrestling. First were the vale tudo events in Brazil, followed by the Japanese shoot-style wrestling shows. Vale tudo began in the 1920s and became renowned with the "Gracie challenge" issued by Carlos Gracie and Hélio Gracie and upheld later on by descendants of the Gracie family. Early mixed martial arts-themed professional wrestling matches in Japan (known as Ishu Kakutōgi Sen (異種格闘技戦), literally "heterogeneous combat sports bouts") became popular with Antonio Inoki in the 1970s. Inoki was a disciple of Rikidōzan, but also of Karl Gotch who trained numerous Japanese wrestlers in catch wrestling.

Mixed martial arts competitions were introduced in the United States with the first Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in 1993. The sport gained international exposure and widespread publicity in United States in 1993, when jiu-jitsu fighter Royce Gracie won the first Ultimate Fighting Championship tournament, subduing three challengers in a total of just five minutes, sparking a revolution in martial arts.

Japan had its own form of mixed martial arts discipline Shooto that evolved from shoot wrestling in 1985, as well as the shoot wrestling derivative Pancrase founded as a promotion in 1993. The first Vale Tudo Japan tournaments were held in 1994 and 1995, both were won by Rickson Gracie. Interest in the sport resulted in the creation of the Pride Fighting Championships (Pride) in 1997, where again Rickson participated and won.

Brazilian night in UFC 134! With exciting bout like Rousimar Palhares vs Dan Miller, Ross Pearson vs Edson Barboza (i thought it was a draw, but judges gave it to Edson), and a show from Anderson Silva!!!

The event i want to talk more
Yuri Marajo, my former teacher of BJJ (from when i had time), made his debut with a win against a fellow contryman.
Rousimar toquinho scared me! He thought the fight was over at some point and walked away from a downed opponent, when the judge called him back he almost was KOed!!! But hopefully he beat the crap out of Dan Miller in the second round, blood was everywhere...
Minotauro won wit a KO, I must say i thought he was going to lose! Brendan has more gas and all...
Shogun was good tonight.... KOed Forrest Griffin very easy in the first round, but why hasn't he fought this way against Jon Jones??? He would have lost anyway, but it wouldn't be that humilating....
....AND Anderson Silva proved why he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world! That guy is a monster, no more needed to be said about him!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Red Dog

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Brazil,the land of great Fighters like Wanderlei Silva,Anderson Silva,Cris "Cyborg"(she largely proved that a women can be as strong as men)

Too bad that in my country this discipline is forbidden :( though we have great fighters fighting abroad :)

What do you think of Karl Amoussou ? you may not know him so here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eyFo6addZk&feature=related

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
First time seeing this guy. He could easily have the "mad dog" nickname as Wand! I like seeing good strikers, this guy seems good but not very techinical.... The only french mixed martial artist I can remember now is Cheick Kongo....

The guys in this forum don't seem very fond of MMA, I made this thread after the first UFC Rio and tomorrow will be second! José Aldo will put a show, Vitor will face another sick striker, and there are many good guy! It will be a good event, but this year there will be MANY good fights I'm expecting!! Frank Edgar vs Ben Henderson, Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit, Junior dos Santos vs Alistair Overeem... MMA will have a great year in 2012!

The Red Dog

Reaction score
Country
France
First time seeing this guy. He could easily have the "mad dog" nickname as Wand! I like seeing good strikers, this guy seems good but not very techinical....
You almost got it,his nickname is "Psycho",he's a policeman in real life :) he has a black belt in judo,so he is a grappler basicaly but he steadily enhanced boxing skillsI hope we see him at the UFC after he grabbing the belt at the bellator :)

The guys in this forum don't seem very fond of MMA, I made this thread after the first UFC Rio and tomorrow will be second! José Aldo will put a show, Vitor will face another sick striker, and there are many good guy! It will be a good event, but this year there will be MANY good fights I'm expecting!! Frank Edgar vs Ben Henderson, Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit, Junior dos Santos vs Alistair Overeem... MMA will have a great year in 2012!
I just saw the Weigh In video.....I was about asking you your forecast but lol I guess your money is on Aldo :)

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Lyoto Machida and Jose Aldo are my favorites fighters! Did you see yesterday? What an amazing event, full of finishers! Palhares finished with a heel hook... again! Barboza head kick KO was the most beautifull kick KO I ever see! Belfort and Aldo won really beautiful in the first round as well!

The Red Dog

Reaction score
Country
France
Hey :)
It's obvious that Mendes guy sought too much to take the fight to the ground,great KO....

Do you know about Jon Koppenhaver AKA War Machine ? he'll fight Karl Amoussou on March,30th and some say that this is going to be his toughest fight. Trash talk is currently going on between the two lol

The guys in this forum don't seem very fond of MMA
Well I suppose this discipline has a bad reputation,many fighters were controlled positive with drugs,steroids,bullshit like that....the latest drug test victime is the female fighter from your country,Cris Cyborg there are high suspicion on Overeem too!!Amoussou once stated that 80% of the fighters of the big organizations like UFC are drugged

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
In which promotion Amossou fight? I basically watch UFC, some Ballator, and some Jungle Fight (Brazilian promotion)....

This weekend there will be UFC on FOX 2. Easy win for Chael, Evans vs Davis might be more interesting and i believe Evans is the favorite one... I just hope this event don't turn to be a wrestling show!

TheMoa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I like MMA, but I usually don't come to this cornes of the forum(the alley where all the blood thirst mma fans are).
I love Paul Harris, Aldo, Minotauro, Shogun(Oh, the PRIDE days) and Wanderley Silva(ditto).. and I'm always cheering for the brazilians(Vitor, Anderson, Erick, Cigano, Jacaré, etc).
But I like some foreings too, like the Korean Zombie, Fedor(RIP), Faber, Rampage, etc...

anyway, in 2 weeks we'll have Diaz Vs Condit!

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Paul Harris FTW! I'm not a big Shogun fan, I'm a huge Machida fan though! I like the current brazilian champions and especially enjoy seeing Aldo fighting, I hope he moves up a class eventually and take the lightweight belt as well!

I also support foreigners, huge Diaz brothers fan! They always put a show and I can't wait for Diaz to win the title... The UFC 143 is going to have the best fight of the year, but the 144 in japan will have the best event! Bendo vs Franky will be sick, lightweigth is the most exciting class right now...

TheMoa

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The Shogun from the PRIDE days was great, the new rules kind of took part of his game that was his aggressiveness, the injuries kind of slowed him down too...

Machida is great, but sometimes he's just too passive waiting for his counters and it hurt his game a little, like the Rampage fight.

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That was a fight he waited too long, maybe being influenced by the previous fight with shogun when he was too rash... I think Shogun was juiced in pride, he used steroids. His body is completely different now, smaller shoulders, fat.... UFC is just more strict with the test as everyone knows.

TheMoa

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Well, almost everybody on pride was on roids, if you take a look in Wandy from that time, the guy was cut like a bodybuider... I agree that today Shogun is kind of fat, but I do believe that it comes more from a lack a motivation/lazyness, he's always changing his trainning camp, a fighter must have some continuity

TheMoa

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yeah. at first it was art vs art... With the Gracies introducing BJJ to the world, the the fighters starter to really mix it up. If somenon can't hold his own on the ground, he's done. And if he only fight on the ground and can't trade a few punches, he's done too, since he won't be capable to bring the fight to the ground.

And how you learn it... usually the guys are introduced to Muay Thai stances in the stand up and BJJ to know how to defend on the ground. After that goes the wrestling to improve the take down defense and another "tricks" on the stand up, be it from boxe or karate. Off course some guys learn somethings faster than others, so they tend to especialize in it.

But lately the fighters with a bigger sucess rate are guys from a wrestling background, experts on it, who got in the other things later

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Anyway, there's a good chance to Belo Horizonte host UFC 147!
It's great news, since the gimnasium is at a 20 minute walk from my home

zzigg

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
MMA

As 2012 quickly comes to a close, huge news and announcements have not slowed down in recent weeks for the mixed martial arts world.

Despite this year having been marred by injuries and cancellations for some of the sports top promotions, I can't help but feel optimistic that 2013 will be a much bigger and better year for MMA—and for a ton of good reasons. With the UFC poised to add a women's division led by champ Ronda Rousey, bad boy Nick Diaz and behemoth Alistair Overeem set to make their respective Octagon returns and Bellator making the move to Spike TV, there will be a lot of news to look out for in the year to come.

More importantly, however, MMA fans should pay attention to how these issues will impact the sport on a larger level.

Return of Some of MMA's Elite Fighters

Kelvin Kuo-US PRESSWIRE
Injuries, suspensions and a myriad of other issues made 2012 a tough year for many of the sport's top fighters.

Luckily, next year will mark the return of some of MMA's elite as fan-favorites such as Alistair Overeem and Nick Diaz are due to come back from their lengthy suspensions. UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo will also be returning to action in the early part of next year when he's fully recovered from his injuries and takes on Frankie Edgar at UFC 156.

It will be interesting to see how these fighters respond to the long layoff and how they will affect the title picture in each of their divisions.

As the UFC continues to grow and explore newer territories, MMA's budding promotions are also starting to build some mainstream steam.

Bellator will finally be coming to Spike TV in 2013 and will look to battle with the world's top MMA promotion on the mainstream stage. With plans of adding its own reality show, Bellator plans to take on the UFC in all aspects of the marketing game.

Earlier this year, the World Series of Fighting debuted on NBC Sports with a pretty successful show, so another popular former broadcast partner may be added to the list of cable competitors to the UFC.

With organizations like Invicta FC, ONE FC and more continuing to grown in their respective markets as well, 2013 may be the the year of extreme growth for some of the sport's budding promotions.

After 127 pro MMA fights over more than 17 years, UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn "The Beast,"finally is calling it quits.

The 54-year-old legend made the news official on Tuesday on his official website. It was news that had been expected – Severn had said in the past year that a New Year's Day retirement was his plan.

[/CENTER]

Last edited by a moderator:

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: MMA

Well, there is this old thread, but no one really posts there anymore :p

The UFC is kind of boring right now. The only thing I'm kind of looking forward to is Jon Jones coaching on the Ultimate Fighter. The opposing coach? Um not so much because I don't like Chael Sonnen. Chael likes to talk a lot of smack, but never really backs it up. Also, I think it's unfair he gets an immediate light heavyweight title shot right after losing to Anderson Silva in their middle-weight title bout.

zzigg

Reaction score
Country
The Wall

right
and i'm certain that jones will shut Chael's trash spitting mouth with a submission

i think the duo will square off at an unnamed event on April 27, 2013.

do you remember the beef between Jones and Sonnen began in late August, when Sonnen's Team Quest teammate Dan Henderson was forced out of a scheduled fight with the champion. Sonnen attempted to step in on short notice, but Jones refused to fight the former middleweight with only one week to prepare a game plan.
so The UFC President Dana White, was forced to cancel UFC 151 due to the absence of a PPV-worthy main event.

i'm really excited about this dual

TheMoa

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Sonnen getting a tittle shot was the joke of the year. Seriously, Hendo didn't fight only because he was hurt... now he'll have 2 tough fights to get another tittle shot. This was WWEsque. Chael has no chance by the way. The only guys who can strip Jones are Hendo(on good H bomb in) and Machida(who was fighting well until he got caught)... but both of them have small chances

I'm so sad with the beating that Cigano took last saturday, that was just bad man... and he asking why people were booing him.
Anyway, I don't like Overeem and I think he has no chance against Cain... and he would have no chance against Cigano. He has no shin, I can't forget Shogun destroying him.
And Shogun is another disappointment, he still young... but he isn't a shadow of he was once.

zzigg

Reaction score
Country
The Wall

I don't like Overeem and I think he has no chance against Cain.
totally agree with you ..he has no chance..with the pitbull attitude he have..i personally don't like his fighting

yup ..i didn't like the way he lost ..especially the last minute of the 5th round..'''Dos Santos keeps throwing punches in the last minute but Velasquez is just too strong, holding the Brazilian on the fence and mugging him with punches inside to the final horn.''

lost with an Unanimous Decision (50-45, 50-43, 50-44)​

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've merged both current and previous MMA threads to avoid confusion.

souhail, can you refrain from using bright colours and huge font sizes for your posts please, it makes it difficult to concentrate. Thank you.

The Red Dog

Reaction score
Country
France

Sonnen getting a tittle shot was the joke of the year. Seriously, Hendo didn't fight only because he was hurt... now he'll have 2 tough fights to get another tittle shot. This was WWEsque. Chael has no chance by the way. The only guys who can strip Jones are Hendo(on good H bomb in) and Machida(who was fighting well until he got caught)... but both of them have small chances

I'm so sad with the beating that Cigano took last saturday, that was just bad man... and he asking why people were booing him.
Anyway, I don't like Overeem and I think he has no chance against Cain... and he would have no chance against Cigano. He has no shin, I can't forget Shogun destroying him.
And Shogun is another disappointment, he still young... but he isn't a shadow of he was once.
You do not Recover from a KnockDown,especialy from the 240lbs man that Cain is.Even with the minute rest in between rounds. Cigano did'nt even land his famous combinaison of fast,deadly punches.Velasquez's first round knockdown,then the relentless pressure of wresling and ground & pound made him the victor. Junior Dos Santos is my favorite brazilian fighter with a heart of a true champion. I think Velasquez may lose the belt against Overeem if he gets into the clinch to eat an Uber knee :)

Btw way Overeem has a chin.The thing is that damage taken throughout a fighter's career is accumulative. When alistair was as young as JJ, he fought as much as 6 times/year at the highest level(Pride)he has almost 50 MMA bouts + K1....being an active fighter has had consequences on his chin which is normal

@ souhail,I would to also to point GSP-Condit as the fight of the year.really impressed by Condit whom I at the time did'nt know about. same opinion as Goldy your color and character sizes have the effect of a Visual Bang :derp