Voting Round 3 - Miyamoto Musashi vs. Mai Sakurajima | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Miyamoto Musashi vs. Mai Sakurajima

Best Waifu?

• Miyamoto Musashi

• Mai Sakurajima

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Miyamoto Musashi
Fate/Grand Order
Mai Sakurajima
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny
Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai

Last edited by a moderator:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai; He dreams of Miyamoto Musashi!

Our easy-going, intelligent and beautiful swordsmaster has made to round 3 and now she is up against a very nice gal in Mai. So, why should you consider voting for Musashi over Mai?

Point 1: Character. Let's revisit Musashi's character shall we? The wandering swordsman who journeys through worlds, enjoying life no matter where it takes her; Musashi is of course many things; easy going, intelligent, beautiful, trustworthy and someone you can depend upon! When things get tough, she's there to help you out and will do whatever it takes so you get through things! With her heavenly eyes (a legitimate skill) she has the power to achieve one's goals by putting her body and soul on the line and achieving it. To cite the example FGO gives: "One could say that it's an act of putting your entire self and existence into your gaze, and projecting it towards your goal. In Musashi's case, Heavenly Eye is used to wield her blade on the spot. For example, if she decides to cut her opponent's right arm, she'll do whatever it takes to sever it. Her strike will be optimized, bending time and space toward achieving this goal." The power to narrow down all potential options for achieving a goal into a single eventuality, can Musashi cut her path to the semifinals and get her victory udon?

She always has a grin on her face like she's in total control, but she does not look down on her opponents. She is just enjoying life. She just laughs at most of life's problems, but deep down, she is a woman who strives to master the path of the blade.

Point 2: Inspiration. This can go for both characters, but can the other say they're really all that special compared to a swordswoman? Not only is Musashi a woman in the man's world of the sword, but she reaches the apex of swordsmanship, with no man close to her level. Truly unique in that sense and an example of how women are just as capable of achieving the incredible, Musashi is a trailblazer and an example that with focus on your goal and hard work, you can achieve whatever you want, even to the point of being the best. Mai might be a fantastic actress but how many fantastic actresses exist? Thousands. How many female swordmasters are there? Not many, and for Musashi to be the best among man and woman alike makes that an inspiring example.

Point 3: Hobbies. Like I've mentioned previously, Musashi travels many countries and worlds. She loves hiking, and the sense of exploration! Travel the world with her, explore and discover more about each other! Go try many different foods in the new places and embrace the sense of discovery like Musashi does! The world is your oyster, and Musashi can be a beautiful part of your world ;)

Point 4: Sacrifice. Here's an interesting point that I thought I'd bring up as it's interesting for both sides: Sacrifice. What have both of these characters sacrificed that makes them so much more important to our hearts? For Musashi, she sacrificed family traditions and the bonds that came with them to walk her own path and be her own person. Turning your back on an easy path takes guts, and doing so which means stepping away from family even harder.

I think what comparison for sacrifice might ultimately come down to is the biggest sacrifice each girl has made. For Mai, she got hit by a car for Sakuta's sake. Pretty honourable, and a heart-wrenching moment. For Musashi, in Fate/Grand Order (spoilers ahead) she, master and the rest of the party who are fighting for humanity's sake are faced with the strongest foe they've ever come across in Khaos, the primordial god of Greek Mythology who was summoned by Zeus before he died as a last "f**k you" to those who fight for humanity. Khaos rapidly approaches through a wormhole, and as the void, is just destruction incarnate. No way to stop Khaos nor it reaching the group; or so they thought. Thanks to the help of the Grand Lancer, Musashi boards a ship and goes to space. What does she do? As the greatest swordsmaster, and the one who reached the void, she can cut the void. She cuts the wormhole apart, stopping Khaos from reaching Earth even though it means her life is forfeit, but that goes to show just how much she loves Master (you) that she was willing to do that. Hit by a car for the one you love is one thing, but to fuck up a Primordial God and his plans for the one you love? Musashi's got it in my view, as she turned the impossible into the possible.

Point 5: Outfits. This one is more art related (some legit, some just fanart), but we've seen Musashi in a variety of outfits in FGO from her Kimono to her swimsuits. Rocking her clothes better than many models could ever hope to, Musashi isn't fussed with looks yet can pull off any attire. Traditional Japanese attire? Check. Swimsuits galore? Check. Bunny girl outfits? Have a look yourself:

But, can Mai compete with Musashi's Reverse Bunny Girl outfit?

The female swordmaster who is bright, cheerful, and dignified, yet vibrant; Miyamoto Musashi! Please consider giving her your vote!

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Her story

At a young age, Mai became a model through her mother's agency and started posing for books, television and magazines. She became very famous nationwide, known by 9 people out of 10 so they say.

Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Mai had only one no-go concerning her modelling career and that was taking swimsuit pictures. Guess what happened during her middle school years? Indeed. Her mother forced her to take a swimsuit photo shoot. That was the moment she realized that her own mother only used her for fame and money and that she didn't really love her.

From that point, she didn't want to hear anything about modeling. She went on a hiatus and then started going to school like anyone else after some time, but since she joined high school during the middle of the year, she didn't get the opportunity to enter a group or make friends because everyone was already settled by that time. Therefore, her loneliness along with other factors triggered something called the Puberty Syndrome, which in her case made her presence invisible to others, hence why she wears a bunny suit at the beginning of the anime. With that suit, she was expecting the crowds to see her, to prove her existence, but in vain. However! One person finally managed to find her, destiny perhaps, and that was Sakuta, the main male protagonist who then became her boyfriend.

At first, following that fateful encounter, she was cold, lonely and didn't want to become close with Sakuta, but time passed and so grew her love.
From that point on, the love story developed and allowed us to see the traits that make Mai such a great waifu.
Here are some of the greatest

She cares a lot about her boyfriend, wanting the best not only for him, but for both of them. She also trusts and understands Sakuta when it comes to his weird I don't even know honestly harem going on and so she never gets angry, like shouting or confronting, at him for spending time with those other girls because she knows it's nothing too serious. That maturity along with the importance she gives to her relationship is truly waifu tier.

Even during harder times, when things get heated up, she will always prioritize the relationship over anything else and make sure to find a way to resolve the issue. It's a really healthy relationship.

Otherwise, Mai likes to hang out and go on dates too! She's not a shy type of person, and her personality (and smile) is sure to brighten up your day.

Mai loves to tease while keeping a serious face, as some of you might have noticed from the video I have shared during the last phase, but even she sometimes gets flustered and loses her cool which is pretty cute :nod. Imagine a waifu that can both tease and get teased without causing your death :nod

In the end, what used to be a cold person traumatized from a past event re-became the little girl that she once was after finding her light. A person with plenty of love, with happiness, with emotions that she is not afraid to show anymore. Her mindset even changed as she went back to the acting and modeling industry. It really depicts what anyone could go through in real life.

Annnnnnd of course there's her physique that is rather realistic compared to that parallel universe trap!

To conclude, here are some wise words.

We even got 69 replies, what a treat indeed :blush

I really wanted to keep it short and sweet to ease the reading so of course there are other points and more details concerning Mai! I might add some others later on depending on my schedule. With that being said, I really hope I piqued the interest of some of you concerning the series. I can assure you that you won't regret watching it :)

Vote for Mai!

Last edited:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dear oh dear Gajeel, focusing only on Mai's modelling? Mai was an actress as well as a model, but the disregard for what she considered the bigger part of the career is amusing, almost if you're trying to sell her for the body + other aspects.

Caring, understanding, enjoys spending time with you, happy; the list goes on for Mai but she is by no means exclusive in this. Musashi has those qualities too, and with her life experiences she makes for quite the wise person to talk to. Mai might have her own unique insight on things, but so does Musashi and with Musashi's many journeys she has seen more to be able to give insight and help others with some candid advice. I'll give you an example:

In FGO Lostbelt 1, Musashi has a talk with Mash who has been going through her own battles of feeling useless as she is unable to fight for Master's sake in the unforgiving land. Mash admires how Musashi is able to face and enjoy any disturbances that come her way and overcome them, and talks about how her psychological issue with fighting, having to kill others to survive, inhibits her from fighting. Musashi says that it can't be helped, and that anyone would be afraid of killing each other and that's nothing to be afraid of. Musashi goes on to talk about how Mash's thinking and concern are important and shouldn't be ignored, and that she'll find her answer and reason to fight or another course of action with thought and when the time is right. Musashi's words gave Mash confidence, and in the end helped her realise as hard as things may be, as long as she fights for what she believes in then for her that is the right path. For being in such an extremely different environment, Mash was in a lurch but Musashi helped get her on the way to being back to her "normal" self

Annnnnnd of course there's her physique that is rather realistic compared to that parallel universe trap!
Well well that's a bit immature. Bodies come in many shapes and sizes, preferring one over another doesn't make Musashi's unrealistic in the slightest and I would've expected better from you.

To conclude, here are some wise words.

We even got 69 replies, what a treat indeed :blush

I really wanted to keep it short and sweet to ease the reading so of course there are other points and more details concerning Mai! I might add some others later on depending on my schedule. With that being said, I really hope I piqued the interest of some of you concerning the series. I can assure you that you won't regret watching it :)

Vote for Mai!
Everything there listed that makes Mai "great", as I said before, isn't exclusive. She might be a standout character in her series, but that doesn't make her any more special compared to characters from other universes. She has good qualities, but Musashi among many other waifus in the wars have those qualities too. In the end Mai is a great waifu in a great field of waifus making her no better than an ordinary person in an ordinary world, whereas Musashi can still stand out as extraordinary in the great field of waifus due to her accomplishments and everything that goes into making her the Miyamoto Musashi from another world.

draku

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
Amazing compilation of gifs about Mai, but that's about it, just gifs. Also Idek why you posted those child Mai pictures, like what's the point, highlight she was a kid? why does that matter, that's so weird.

The story of Bunny Girl senpai could be great if it was just the first 3 episodes, everything after is lackluster compared to those 3 episodes, the sister arc was probably the most heart wrenching arc because it actually touches on a real issue that kids and teenagers these days go through, but I doubt we're here to talk about the writing quality of the arc of the siblings.

Mai was literally written to be the "perfect" character, her only flaws aren't even due to herself but caused by others, the issue with these types of archetypes is simple (this isn't the first time we've seen "perfect" characters btw), they don't have unique traits to themselves. Like what could you say is a unique trait to Mai, there isn't.

Flaws make for the most realistic character, why that is?
We as humans are flawed, we only seek perfection to adore it, if one were to claim Mai to be the "perfect wife material" then that's adoration, actual and real humans have a story of their own, they have struggles, they have imperfections, flaws, AN IDENTITY. An identity is something inherent to our mistakes, that's what makes us human. That's why when evaluating a character we sometimes refer to characters as being more HUMANE.

Why is Musashi Miyamoto a more humane and realistic character
Despite being a character who was born on a fantastical setting, she has her imperfections. She's naive, many times lazy, sometimes ill spoken, way too straight forward, greedy, emotional, vengeful, and the list goes on. These mistakes and her own goods that SirSam has outlined make her a very humane character despite her absurd physical strength, or her incredibly fast reaction speed, or her talent with the sword.
Musashi Miyamoto from Fate/Grand Order is a character who has had to experience the dread of existence several times, as she was born from another world that was then pruned by a concept conceived by the Author regarding parallel universes, sent to another universe, met people, was removed from that environment, was teleported again, this developed a fear in her own persona, she DREADS the idea, and finds comfort in the dysfunctional, stupid yet lucky protagonist (who happens to be the player) just because the protagonist is also put in that same dilemma of experiencing this pruning, tho temporarily, and this allows Musashi to support herself on this friendship that allows her to overcome her fears and confront her reality. This leads to her death.

You see, Musashi Miyamoto per actual history was male, a talented swordsman, and a philosopher, he wrote a book named "The Book of Five Rings", it describes several ideas regarding combat and martial arts, this later became a pillar of swordsmanship in Japan. The Musashi Miyamoto we have seen in Fate/Grand Order comes from a parallel universe, where the person was born female and was faced with challenges of her own.
This fictional Musashi Miyamoto is of course, female, and by the time we meet her one could say she's going through the 5th chapter of "The Book of the Five Rings", she's trying to reach "The void", which philosophically refers to the state of mind of a person, a swordsman, etc. Why is this so important? Because this is the setting that we are shown, her own little world inside her head is in disarray, full of flaws, dread of death. This of course allows us to go through this important chapter, allows us to discover the character.

Musashi Miyamoto's setting
One of the main reasons Kinoko Nasu's (Creator of Fate/Grand Order, Founder of Type/Moon) works are so acclaimed not just in the west but HEAVILY in Asia is because he touches very trivial topics that put people on the edge several times, but they are beautifully laid out through solid development of the characters and the setting they exist in, especially if he manages to get his hands to develop a character, and in Musashi Miyamoto's case, he directed and made sure that the writers who wrote her character actually explained her, who she is, where she comes from, what she wants, and how she ends. Her character in itself is akin to many issues teenagers, kids, young adults, even adults experience or experienced at one point:
1. What if your family rejects you.
2. What if you rebel against your parents.
3. What does the dread of existence mean to people.
4. How does society's expectations affect you.
5. The morality of people's actions.

Certainly, Nasu's stories and characters are very interesting and entertaining.

Last edited:

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dear oh dear Gajeel, focusing only on Mai's modelling? Mai was an actress as well as a model, but the disregard for what she considered the bigger part of the career is amusing, almost if you're trying to sell her for the body + other aspects.

Caring, understanding, enjoys spending time with you, happy; the list goes on for Mai but she is by no means exclusive in this. Musashi has those qualities too, and with her life experiences she makes for quite the wise person to talk to. Mai might have her own unique insight on things, but so does Musashi and with Musashi's many journeys she has seen more to be able to give insight and help others with some candid advice. I'll give you an example:
1. Focusing on Mai's modelling? I'm telling her background yes. Selling her for the body? I'm learning new things about my own self now. If there really was someone trying to sell her waifu for her body here it would be you with all your images lmaooo.

Can you really compare a normal high school girl to a Fates character though? I'm sorry if Mai can't cut down her opponents with a katana and travel the world without restrictions Samuel. That's the only thing your waifu knows more than Mai and that according to you, is 'exclusive'. Gotta say I can't believe that you tried to compare Musashi killing a god to Mai saving Sakuta, which btw shame on you for spoiling it, for their sacrifices lmao

I think you should stick to campaigning about your waifu only without trying to compare with the other one honestly.

2. The reason why I believe Mai is a splendid waifu isn't for some 'exclusive' qualities as you say Samuel. Not sure what your standards are in real life but good luck finding a girl that knows how to cut off heads with a katana or one that will save humanity. I find Mai charming simply because she's a character that is easier to relate to since she's more 'ordinary' than many other anime/manga waifus. It's more about how realistic her personality and physique are that make her such a great waifu since you can expect someone out in the world to be similar to her. That's how I personally see waifus.

Well well that's a bit immature. Bodies come in many shapes and sizes, preferring one over another doesn't make Musashi's unrealistic in the slightest and I would've expected better from you.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do not mean it that way. I respect all shapes and sizes. Musashi truly is a beautiful woman, I'll give it to you, but her proportions are unrealistic and solely for fan service. Now you're going to say, ''yEaH, WElL MAi HAs tHe BunNy SuIT FaNseRvICE'', you're not wrong on that, but that only happens a few time through the series. Her character doesn't have costumes that are based around her body all the time. This is my personal opinion though, I prefer more realistic waifus over fan service ones. I might have been immature there, but bear with me, I haven't slept yet and my concentration is fading.

Again, I need sleep so I did not write this at my 100%.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
1. Focusing on Mai's modelling? I'm telling her background yes. Selling her for the body? I'm learning new things about my own self now. If there really was someone trying to sell her waifu for her body here it would be you with all your images lmaooo.

Can you really compare a normal high school girl to a Fates character though? I'm sorry if Mai can't cut down her opponents with a katana and travel the world without restrictions Samuel. That's the only thing your waifu knows more than Mai and that according to you, is 'exclusive'. Gotta say I can't believe that you tried to compare Musashi killing a god to Mai saving Sakuta, which btw shame on you for spoiling it, for their sacrifices lmao

I think you should stick to campaigning about your waifu only without trying to compare with the other one honestly.
It's an event where we compare and argue why x waifu is superior to y waifu lmao, of course there is some room for comparison no matter how different their worlds.

I'm not denying I'm trying to show the many aspects of Musashi, physical or not, but your gifs etc. had a purpose too :P Just thought it was weird you didn't mention things the acting and how Sakuta pushed her to get back into her career because of the movie poster etc., seeing she wanted to go back to acting. You specifically only mentioned the modelling and focused on that from her young age, but it's a bit of a hole to leave in her story to not mention the acting.

Yes, being a Swordmaster is exclusive to Musashi but there's more to it than that. The life lessons she gains from that, that knowledge and more, are exclusive to her and the way they shape her character make her that more special to me that I do mention it. I think it's important to not get caught up on just the combat side of Musashi because while it's certainly a part of her (a strong woman who will kick someone's arse for you), there is so much more to her than that.

2. The reason why I believe Mai is a splendid waifu isn't for some 'exclusive' qualities as you say Samuel. Not sure what your standards are in real life but good luck finding a girl that knows how to cut off heads with a katana or one that will save humanity. I find Mai charming simply because she's a character that is easier to relate to since she's more 'ordinary' than many other anime/manga waifus. It's more about how realistic her personality and physique are that make her such a great waifu since you can expect someone out in the world to be similar to her. That's how I personally see waifus.
Why bring "standards" into something about fictional girls? :lmao You think I like Musashi purely for the swords? Have a read through my campaign in this round and last, and you'll see that is most certainly not the cast. You find Mai charming but if I'm going to criticise her I'd say she's bland because as @draku pointed out, she has no "flaws" and the issues she goes through aren't through her own vulnerabilities. A good character, and by extension, a good waifu is better when they aren't "perfect" because when they have flaws that is when they become all the more relatable.

Musashi may be the best swordsman, a swordmaster but by no means does that mean she is perfect as a person. She has that fantasy element to her with combat, but look past that at the lady herself and you see a lot more of a grounded, relatable person. Musashi falls in love easily, and loves it when others rely on her. She also loves compliments and is easily swayed by flattery. She may be a woman who loves a good fight, but she's also just a normal easygoing wanderer. As fantastical as her journey is, she still goes through trials and struggles, and has to fight through it like everyone does. Every person has a different battlefield, but seeing how they adapt, grow as a person and succeed through those trials is special; and Musashi's journey shows her off to be a beautiful person, swordsmaster or not.

For me, Mai might be a more "normal" character due to her setting but the way she's written doesn't allowed for her to be flawed. She's portrayed as being able to put no foot wrong, and that's not how people are. Everyone makes mistakes, yet Mai is a contradiction to this which if anything makes her unrelatable.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do not mean it that way. I respect all shapes and sizes. Musashi truly is a beautiful woman, I'll give it to you, but her proportions are unrealistic and solely for fan service. Now you're going to say, ''yEaH, WElL MAi HAs tHe BunNy SuIT FaNseRvICE'', you're not wrong on that, but that only happens a few time through the series. Her character doesn't have costumes that are based around her body all the time. This is my personal opinion though, I prefer more realistic waifus over fan service ones. I might have been immature there, but bear with me, I haven't slept yet and my concentration is fading.
How are Musashi's proportions unrealistic? Are you saying out of 7 billion people on this planet no one would look remotely like that? :lmao C'mon dude, the world is way more diverse than you think it to be. There are indeed simularities with fanservice to the two, with Musashi's fanservice coming with the summer swimsuits but the whole point of the Bunny Girl in Bunny Girl senpai is the fanservice, that's why the suit exists from a writing perspective. Keep boasting realism all you want too, but at the end of the day Musashi's proportions are indeed realistic. Other side of the coin is why bring realism into a discussion about fictional girls? Celebrity girl and swordmaster girl aren't exactly going to just come to life in front of us hey? :lmao Both have relatable elements yes, but it's still fiction at the end of the day.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Also nice pictures samuel 😏 wonder where you got these from
Some searching on my own via pixiv, but most importantly some fantastic and generous donations to the war chest from some wonderful friends 😉

Musashi thanks you for the support to the campaign! :XD

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Mai, no contest. Musashi's swordsmanship is cool and definitely inspiring from what Sam wrote, but doesn't move the needle for me, as Mai is inspiring as well. Also, the comparison between swordsmanship and acting doesn't hold weight, as they're from different eras/worlds.

Those bunny girl Musashi pics, :nah

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Mai, no contest. Musashi's swordsmanship is cool and definitely inspiring from what Sam wrote, but doesn't move the needle for me, as Mai is inspiring as well. Also, the comparison between swordsmanship and acting doesn't hold weight, as they're from different eras/worlds.

Those bunny girl Musashi pics, :nah
How exactly is Mai inspiring? Because "oh look at me I'm cute and I tease haha"? Mai's character doesn't develop nor learn; she's stagnant and thus uninspiring. Being an actress isn't exactly inspiring either, like if you want to be in film maybe but there's nothing that makes you go "Wow I really want to do this!" or "Wow, I learnt a lot from this!". Mai is bland, a cardboard cutout painted with aesthetics to be appealing to a certain demographic but in the real world she wouldn't stack up like Gajeel has been implying.

The argument from Gajeel is that Mai is more "realistic" than Musashi, but really that can't be further from the truth when you look at their behaviour. To quote Gajeel, he said "Mai is a splendid waifu" but she is only painted that way due to her not being an accurate depiction of what happens in relationships. She makes no decisions herself, relying on Sakuta for them and when Sakuta is going to do something stupid she'll beg him not to do it but he does it anyway, only for her to turn around and go "I knew you'd do this, it's all fine :) ". She really is just a "yes woman", when realistically most relationships would see some level of humanity, conflict and resolution to have them grow closer. If cardboard is your cup of tea I can't change your view but Mai most certainly is not inspiring.

Taking what I said about Musashi when comparing and saying it's just swordsmanship being compared to acting is very far off from what I wrote, and shows you didn't read what I wrote or got the meaning of it. The life lessons from Musashi's path is what I was on about; she goes through struggles that impact her emotionally and physically, and we see her deal with that struggle and overcome it. We see her grow as a person, and we can relate to how she has to overcome adversity; she adapts, overcomes and learns from the challenges which is inspiring and it appeals to you on many levels. Seeing her at her best and her worst makes her so much more human than Mai ever appears.

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
How exactly is Mai inspiring? Because "oh look at me I'm cute and I tease haha"? Mai's character doesn't develop nor learn; she's stagnant and thus uninspiring. Being an actress isn't exactly inspiring either, like if you want to be in film maybe but there's nothing that makes you go "Wow I really want to do this!" or "Wow, I learnt a lot from this!". Mai is bland, a cardboard cutout painted with aesthetics to be appealing to a certain demographic but in the real world she wouldn't stack up like Gajeel has been implying.

The argument from Gajeel is that Mai is more "realistic" than Musashi, but really that can't be further from the truth when you look at their behaviour. To quote Gajeel, he said "Mai is a splendid waifu" but she is only painted that way due to her not being an accurate depiction of what happens in relationships. She makes no decisions herself, relying on Sakuta for them and when Sakuta is going to do something stupid she'll beg him not to do it but he does it anyway, only for her to turn around and go "I knew you'd do this, it's all fine :) ". She really is just a "yes woman", when realistically most relationships would see some level of humanity, conflict and resolution to have them grow closer. If cardboard is your cup of tea I can't change your view but Mai most certainly is not inspiring.
So in your first post you pretty much say inspiration applies to both with Musashi more so, to now saying Mai's not inspiring, lmao. Not sure whether to take you seriously. Sure you could say her acting only applies to her certain demographic, but that's not the point. How she's able to deal with the problems with her mother and then Puberty Syndrome and then overcome her trauma is what's inspiring. Not to forget how she bridged the gap with her sister and guided her to become her own person. It's pretty much a documentary, a lot of people can relate to these familial issues and isolation in school.

Taking what I said about Musashi when comparing and saying it's just swordsmanship being compared to acting is very far off from what I wrote, and shows you didn't read what I wrote or got the meaning of it. The life lessons from Musashi's path is what I was on about; she goes through struggles that impact her emotionally and physically, and we see her deal with that struggle and overcome it. We see her grow as a person, and we can relate to how she has to overcome adversity; she adapts, overcomes and learns from the challenges which is inspiring and it appeals to you on many levels. Seeing her at her best and her worst makes her so much more human than Mai ever appears.
Regarding the comparison: I was pointing more towards your quote saying how many fantastic actresses and how many swordsman, and actually acknowledged how you said she was inspiring, even though its mostly generalized. Btw @draku came up pretty clutch there. Point is both face struggles in their respective paths.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
So in your first post you pretty much say inspiration applies to both with Musashi more so, to now saying Mai's not inspiring, lmao. Not sure whether to take you seriously. Sure you could say her acting only applies to her certain demographic, but that's not the point. How she's able to deal with the problems with her mother and then Puberty Syndrome and then overcome her trauma is what's inspiring. Not to forget how she bridged the gap with her sister and guided her to become her own person. It's pretty much a documentary, a lot of people can relate to these familial issues and isolation in school.
For someone you're supposedly finding so inspiring you're being a bit vague about it don't you think? You don't go into specifics about how she overcomes or what it actually is that she deals with. For a campaign with one of it's main points being that you think Mai is more realistic than Musashi, what Mai goes through (Puberty Syndrome) is just anything magical that happens thanks to quantum physics and emotions; not very realistic hey?

Everything that happened with Mai getting through Puberty Syndrome was one way or another all Sakuta's doing, and here's the kicker that really shows how shallow it is: she didn't learn anything from it. There's no personal growth from it or anything, just her going back to her career. After this, unless it's Sakuta's friends and family, Mai is still distant and unapproachable to most people. Yes, her mother was a piece of shit but we see no growth from Mai as a person. Mai may reconcile with her sister, but it's not her doing that fixes things there, it's Sakuta saying Nadoko needs to understand Mai. For Nadoko and the masses of people, this means Mai is distant, unapproachable, and abrasive unless she lets them in to her life and let's face it, odds are a celebrity high-school girl who barely knows you isn't going to just let you into their life.

Yourself and Gajeel have done a good job trying to paint Mai in a good light, but at the end of the day I conclude this: She is a shallow character with no growth, and is unapproachable, distant, and abrasive which makes it highly unlikely she could ever be anyone's waifu, and before you say "but don't ignore how she is with Sakuta", that's the point: that's her with Sakuta because of what Sakuta has done for her. Had that never happened, she'd treat you just the same as anyone else. Doesn't matter if she's your waifu, you will not be a Sakuta to her to influence that sort of special behaviour because she is not a people person.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's recap and take a look at why you should consider voting for Musashi if you haven't already :)

Point 1: Personality. Musashi is easy-going, always has a grin on her face and goes about life smiling. She falls in love easily, and is open to male-female relationships and female-female relationships; truly a progressive waifu who loves you for who you are. Musashi is also a people person, easily approachable and enjoys being relied upon and helping others. She may be swayed by flattery, but she remains a strong, loyal woman who will stand by your side no matter what and will support and fight for your causes and what you believe in. She loves her master for who he/she is, and there isn't anything she wouldn't be willing for you to see you happy and safe.

Point 2: Hobbies. Musashi loves heading out with you, her master! Be it travelling, hiking or food, she is up and ready for whatever you may like to go and do with her on a date or just a nice trip out! She has a big sense of adventure, meaning she'll be up for wherever you may like to go, but she'll be happy as long as she is with you! Exploring local areas, or finding an Udon shop off the way for a steaming hot bowl; her time is your time so spend it with her however you like!

Point 3: Comparison in how the girls are naturally. One of the main focus points has been the personality and behaviour of the girls so let's revisit.

For Mai, the focus has been on how she is with Sakuta but that is a special case for her. Mai is predominantly unapproachable; she's distant and abrasive, hence she has no school friends and has no interactions with other people outside of work or necessary ones. Unless you're like Sakuta and can force yourself into her life to the point she can't ignore you, you have no chance of even just being friends with her. The truth is Sakuta is a very special case who managed to get close to her at a time of vulnerability, and had it not been for that, she wouldn't have changed how she treated him and in that truth is the reason why Mai is unrelatable. She is a celebrity in a high-school setting, leagues apart from those she goes to class with in terms of a social standing and thus the representation of her being a cheery, happy girl to her special someone is a lie as it's highly unlikely she'd be like that for just any person who comes into her life; they need to be special and hold significant meaning in what they've done, without that she's a clam that won't ever open up.

With Musashi, things are different. She's a more outgoing person and that is reflected in her behaviour. There's no walls to break down with her, she's just how she is, and that is an honest, happy person. She loves fun and just enjoying life for what it throws at her, and while she might have her flaws that makes her more relatable. Past her swordsmanship, she's just a girl who wants to walk her own path with her friends and do things that are true to her beliefs and the beliefs of others she supports. My point is, being a less introverted person makes than Mai it more possible for Musashi to connect to more people and establish bonds; bonds that will last. She's a hard-working, honest girl and with her positives and her shortcomings (be the ego-wise or other) she is more relatable, and in that sense a more desirable and obtainable waifu than Mai could ever be.

The people that meet her describe her as the flower at the apex of heaven. Vote for Miyamoto Musashi, the vibrant, cheeful swordsmaster waifu!

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
For someone you're supposedly finding so inspiring you're being a bit vague about it don't you think? You don't go into specifics about how she overcomes or what it actually is that she deals with. For a campaign with one of it's main points being that you think Mai is more realistic than Musashi, what Mai goes through (Puberty Syndrome) is just anything magical that happens thanks to quantum physics and emotions; not very realistic hey?

Everything that happened with Mai getting through Puberty Syndrome was one way or another all Sakuta's doing, and here's the kicker that really shows how shallow it is: she didn't learn anything from it. There's no personal growth from it or anything, just her going back to her career. After this, unless it's Sakuta's friends and family, Mai is still distant and unapproachable to most people. Yes, her mother was a piece of shit but we see no growth from Mai as a person. Mai may reconcile with her sister, but it's not her doing that fixes things there, it's Sakuta saying Nadoko needs to understand Mai. For Nadoko and the masses of people, this means Mai is distant, unapproachable, and abrasive unless she lets them in to her life and let's face it, odds are a celebrity high-school girl who barely knows you isn't going to just let you into their life.
Jesus Samuel :lmao.

Her Puberty Syndrome might be related to quantum physics yes, but the main idea is still that you sometimes feel like you're being ignored by society or rather lonely still stands. You are taking it way too literally or you're just being ignorant.

Personal growth? Her traumatic experience during her younger years played a huge role in her Puberty Syndrome, so the fact that she overcame it and decided to go back to acting and modelling shows that she has grown as a person. The strength needed to resume a path that caused so much pain... Did you expect something like a 180 personality change :o?

You say that Mai is distant and unapproachable to most people, but you don't state that Mai spent her entire childhood controlled by her mother and then, when she finally got out of that lifestyle, she developed the Puberty Syndrome that made her invisible to others most of the time. Of course she would seem distant and unapproachable. She never actually got the opportunity nor experience to link with people due to her past life and trauma. I even stated that she might seem cold at the first glance, but that in reality, she's human, has emotions and is highly capable of loving too once you get to know her :^_^. Some people are just harder to get close with and Mai is one of those people, but they aren't unapproachable like you want to make it seem like. You just have to take the first step sometimes. Sakuta himself proved it.

About the Nadoko part, it's actually Mai's doing. When Sakuta showed her that Mai cared about her, she was still skeptical. It was the fact that Mai talked to her, hugged her, and said that she should make herself happy instead of always trying to get praised by her mother that fixed their relationship. Mai even invited Nodoka to come live with her afterwards after Nodoka had yet another fight with her mother, which also shows that Mai cares about her friends and family.

The truth is Sakuta is a very special case who managed to get close to her at a time of vulnerability, and had it not been for that, she wouldn't have changed how she treated him and in that truth is the reason why Mai is unrelatable. She is a celebrity in a high-school setting, leagues apart from those she goes to class with in terms of a social standing and thus the representation of her being a cheery, happy girl to her special someone is a lie as it's highly unlikely she'd be like that for just any person who comes into her life; they need to be special and hold significant meaning in what they've done, without that she's a clam that won't ever open up.
Sakuta is no special case. Mai treated him like any other random person at first even though she had the Puberty Syndrome effect, but by talking, they got closer and closer. That's pretty much how it works in real life too. Some day, you start talking with a stranger, then with time, you learn their name, become friends, learn their hobbies, learn their problems...That said, it's funny how you assume that because she's a celebrity, she instinctively thinks she's better than everyone else and doesn't open up to normal people. You're just bullshitting at this point Samuel. We've seen her true self, outside her job where she has to act a certain way, for around 95% of the anime so you know well that she's not like you say she is :D .

It's just incredible how most of your arguments are based around assumptions and generalizations on celebrities and how you perceive Mai to be your 'typical' celebrity and not a normal human being honestly.

I'm going to say it again Sir Samuel, just stick to your waifu. You spend more time trying to trash on other waifus, contradicting yourself even, like the great husbando that you are than actually campaigning for yours. Just remove the Sir in your name at this point, it doesn't fit you one bit. And no, telling others to please vote for Mushashi with a smiley face on other parts of the forum isn't a way of campaigning. I'm done arguing with you at this point :) .

By the way, it's funny how Draku and Ranea joined, posted only on this thread, then dipped btw. I wonder if we'll see them back the next round... would be pretty hilarious.

Use another strategy the next round, friendly advice xoxo

draku

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
Idk what kind of idea do you have to believe being abrasive and having others compromise just to get to know you is something inspiring. Inspiration comes to those who seek it, it must take one of a kind to find inspiration from a character whose environment has bended in their reverence.

Bunny girl senpai can be entertaining but claiming it is inspirational is just absurd when the main character you're supposedly drawing inspiration from never develops her character, the only thing she learnt was that somebody out there would maybe try to help her. She remained the same annoying person to outsiders, and many of you will probably think "oh, but this taught me it doesn't matter that I get along with other people as long as I get along with the people I care", that's such a lonely innocent and naive idea. Any "grown up" adult would call out that behavior, it is reckless and can put you in situations you would otherwise not really "care about". If there is inspiration to be drawn from one or two characters from the series then it's gotta be from Sakuta and his sister Kanade, they manage to overcome hardship and open up to other people, they develop as a character, but this discussion isn't about either of them.

Lastly, since none of the claims about Musashi's character have been challenged, the answer about who the best character is between the 2 should already be determined. lol.

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
[Mod="revo"]Guys there's no need to make personal attacks or insinuate about each other's personal lifes. This is an event about fictional characters, if you're going to be salty, limit it to the nominations and not to the users that nominated them, remember to be nice. [/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.