Theory - momo and overhaul are related | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory momo and overhaul are related

shadow22

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
That theory was in the Chapter thread. It's possible, but there is the money problem. Momo comes from a rich family, if they are related, wouldn't he have found a way to get money from them?

Aonori

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I´d say it´s possible they are from different family branches, if they are related at all, also about Overhaul´s quirk, I think it´s just some kind of blood manipulation quirk and not just plain cell destruction, because we already have Shigaraki´s quirk for that, for melding there´s also Class B´s Awase quirk, so we have these basic quirks when it comes to straight up creation of non organic objects, desintegration and melding, Overhaul´s quirk seems a bit too complex to be too much related to Momo´s which is why him being from a different family branch could explain the bigger difference between his and Momo´s quirk abilities.

Another thing, that has been bothering me for a while, but in the initial BnH episode when Momo was introduced she had the exact same eye color as Overhaul, I dont know if that was some sort of red herring or foreshadowing, between the two but the option is certainly out there.

KOBA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
You really think someone from yakuza family will be accepted into UA?
There were already plenty of such mistakes when we assumed that someone related, in the end it turned out they are not. They could became each other's nemesis, but related? No.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
You really think someone from yakuza family will be accepted into UA?
There were already plenty of such mistakes when we assumed that someone related, in the end it turned out they are not. They could became each other's nemesis, but related? No.
How would UA know that they are related to yakuza? After all, Overhaul has not been caught. It depends on the person anyway.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I liked the pattern side of it but the rest...I'm not buying it. It they are related, it's by a branch, because losing a brother (to the evil side) should have been something we'd see Horikoshi hint to.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't see this happening.
Overhaul should be close to 40 years old. The Yakuza are officially gone since All Might's arrival which was at least over 20 years ago, because of Endeavor's child-hybrid plan to surpass All Might and his first child, Fuyumi Todoroki, is a teacher. Overhaul must have established himself before All Might's arrival and gone into hiding since then. To establish himself he would need to be a certain age, nobody would take a 10 year old Yakuza serious. 19 year old Yakuza is something different.
So let's say Overhaul established himself with around 19 years, then All Might arrived, because of that Overhaul and all the other Yakuza went into hiding for over 20 years, now All Might is gone and Overhaul is over 40 years old, if he were Momo's brother he would be over 25 years older than her.

And similar looking quirks doesn't mean they are related. There are 3 different water quirk families, Kirishima and TetsuTetsu, Ibara and Kamui Woods.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can see the reasoning, but I want to say it's unlikely.

Aside from their eyes, their biggest proof is the pattern, but even then, their is a B Class Student whose Quirk is welding that also has a similar pattern when he activates his ability.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
@ShenGao Do you think Overhaul is that old? OK, we don't see his face, it's hard to guess a correct age. But everyone around him looks a young-adult, early 20s, just like Dabi. He talks about elders from Yakuza. Maybe those elders are 40~60, and he's the new gen.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't see this happening.
Overhaul should be close to 40 years old. The Yakuza are officially gone since All Might's arrival which was at least over 20 years ago, because of Endeavor's child-hybrid plan to surpass All Might and his first child, Fuyumi Todoroki, is a teacher. Overhaul must have established himself before All Might's arrival and gone into hiding since then. To establish himself he would need to be a certain age, nobody would take a 10 year old Yakuza serious. 19 year old Yakuza is something different.
So let's say Overhaul established himself with around 19 years, then All Might arrived, because of that Overhaul and all the other Yakuza went into hiding for over 20 years, now All Might is gone and Overhaul is over 40 years old, if he were Momo's brother he would be over 25 years older than her.

And similar looking quirks doesn't mean they are related. There are 3 different water quirk families, Kirishima and TetsuTetsu, Ibara and Kamui Woods.
I doubt Overhaul is that old, and I think All Might has been active for 12 years(Deku was 4 when he saw his video, and that was he at his debuts). The marks are the main reason I believe that theory is plausible. There are class of Quirks in the world but they don't all have the same applications. Assuming he was 19 back then, he'd be 31 now.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Overhaul himself mentioned "his generation" when he talked about AFO. And the All Might video is from a huge disaster many years ago when All Might made his debut. The year of his debut was never revealed, but it can easily be proven that his debut was over 20 years ago because of Endeavor.
Endeavor had his "surpass All Might plan" by creating a stronger child. The first child was Fuyumi Todoroki, who he calls a "failure". She is Todoroki's older sister and a teacher, which makes her at least over 20 years old.
Since All Might's debut the Yakuza became pretty much non-existent and the ones who didn't end up in prison went into hiding. Even Magne never saw a Yakuza before and he killed multiple people and attempted close to 30 murders. For 20 years there were no active Yakuza which means they couldn't have made any achievements, but AFO still knew Overhaul and showed Shigaraki a picture of him.

Overhaul could (and actually should) be over 40 years old while still looking young. Maybe he also has an anti-aging or slow-aging quirk or when he kills someone his body turns younger. X-Men's Mystique's main power is shapeshifting, but another of her powers is slow aging.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I mean, he's called by Shigaraki a 'young leader'. And when he says that "his gen" regarded AFO as a legend, I got the impression that his generation happened after AFO fall. Like, he's been a Yakuza for his whole life, maybe starting really soon. So for me that was a good indication that he was at max 30 yo.

I don't know why mentioning AM's video. If Overhaul is 30, he was a teen by the time AM started fighting AFO for real. When did their last battle happen? How many years ago? Wasn't it like 5~7?

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Overhaul doesn't seem anywhere near 40 but it's fair to say he's older than Tomura who is always referred to as a kid. On the theory, besides opposite like quirks and sorta similar hair color I can't find anything to match them as family members.