Mag Talk - Monthly Gangan Joker (Square Enix) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Monthly Gangan Joker (Square Enix)

Heiji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Are you for KAWACHI Izumi ? Because the picture its from 2009 when he start Eighth.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Figure with a lot of the series in here getting anime, now's as good a time as any to make a thread. I'll post the table of contents each month as I get my copy of the issue until I get bored of doing it. Just remember that despite the insane amount of blood and gore in here, it's a shonen magazine.

Issue 07:

Akame ga KILL! (Cover, lead color)
Akame ga KILL! Zero (Reprint of Chapter 1 from Big Gangan)
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Kakegurui
Iron Hammer Against the Witch
Urami Koi, Koi, Urami Koi (New Series)
Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai Shitaita
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? Gaiden: Sword Oratoria
Satsui no Senki
One Week Friends (Center Color)
Takahashi-san ga Kiiteiru
Arachnid
Zombitch wa Bitch ni Fukumaremasu ka?
Watashi no Tomodachi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui.
Sengoku Strays (Center Color)
EIGHTH
Zettai Reiiki
Yandere Kanojo (Center Color)
Grim Reaper and Four Girlfriends
Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch
Hyouryuu Oukoku (Oneshot)

Extra: Akame ga KILL! Volume 10 alternate cover

Issue 08:

Cover: Akame ga KILL!, Gugure! Kokkuri-san, Katsute Mahou Shoujo, One Week Friends, Takahashi-san ga Kiiteiru
Lead Color: Katsute Mahou Shoujo
Center Color: One Week Friends, Takahashi-san, Zombitch, EIGHTH
End: Zombitch
Extras: Akame ga KILL! bath poster, One Week Friends postcard, Inu X Boku SS poster, Katsute Mahou Shoujo poster, Inu X Boku SS Volume 11 alternate cover, Katsute Mahou Shoujo Volume 1 alternate cover.

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Seeing the ToC now, makes me notice I actually read quite a lot of series from the magazine through Edited Mangas and that I haven't read in a long time and need to start reading again... Pretty surprised One Week Friends is in there though, considering the genre of most other series...

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
One Week Friends ending soon?

Last edited by a moderator:

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
One Week Friends ending soon?
I've only read a few chapters of the series (last month's was a sort of prologue which explained how the MC met his guy friend, haven't read this month's yet) so I'm not sure if it's going toward a natural ending or not, but it seems like a bit of a weird time for Joker to end it. Another artist just started a reboot of the author's first series from Gangan Online, but that's running in the Joker Omake web page instead of in the magazine itself. I feel like if One Week Friends were ending, they'd have the artist reboot their own series in the magazine itself... Anyway, if it does end, Yandere Kanojo will be the only "normal" romance series left in the magazine, so they might try to start something to replace it.

---------- Post added June 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was June 22, 2014 at 08:58 PM ----------

Sengoku Strays, which happens to be the longest-running series in Joker and the last remaining holdout from Gangan Wing, will end in the next volume (15).

pochamahunter

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
China
Youko x Boku SS, AgK!, Isshuukan Friends, Gugure! Kokkuri-san, Takahashi-san ga Kiiteiru, Arachnid, Sengoku Strays, Girls Go Around, Shinigami-sama to 4-nin no Kanojo, Umineko Ep. 8, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Kakegurui. definitely is my favorite magazine! I want to read Katsute Mahou Shoujo.

I was very sad when the public raws stopped up .

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue 8:

Katsute Mahou Shojo (Lead color)
Akame ga KILL! (Cover)
Urami Koi, Koi, Urami Koi
Kakegurui
Iron Hammer Against the Witch
One Week Friends (Center color)
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Watashi no Tomodachi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui.
Sword Oratoria
Yandere Kanojo
Takahashi is Hearing it. (Center color)
Satsui no Senki
Inaka no Omawari-san (Oneshot)
Grim Reaper and Four Girlfriends
Zombitch (End)
Arachnid
Ushimitsudoki no Oshigoto
Wabishinbo (Oneshot
Zettai Reiiki
EIGHTH
Sengoku Strays
Umineko Episode 8

Issue 9:

Cover: Akame ga KILL!
New series: Seifuku no Vampireslod, by Tomoki Matsumoto, author of Prunus Girl (Lead Color)
New series: Sono Vampire ha Tadashikunai Yume wo Miru, by Megumi Hazuki, author of Ojou-sama wa Oyome-sama (Center color)
New series: Gugure! Shigaraki-san, by Midori Endo (story) and Soichiro (art) (Center color, spinoff of Gugure! Kokkuri-san)
Center color: Arachnid, Iron Hammer Against the Witch, Zettai Reiiki (End)
Extras: Akame ga KILL! mousepad, One Week Friends postcard

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Animated PV for Takahashi is Hearing It. Probably the series I don't read in Joker that I really wish I could the most, since it looks absolutely hilarious and seems to be very well-received. It's almost all puns and cultural stuff though, whole thing is literally one long boke-tsukkomi routine.

---------- Post added July 22, 2014 at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was July 21, 2014 at 08:48 PM ----------

Cover for issue 8 and full preview for issue 9.

It's worth mentioning that Mine is much closer to pink in the printed cover. Decide on a freaking color already, sheesh.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Inu x Boku SS is so awesome and cute, I must read it completely. What a great poster on the background. :zomg
This new series by the same author looks pretty good as well. :)

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Takahashi is Hearing It: 3 volumes, 300,000 copies in print.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wonder when they will do a print update on Akame ga Kill .

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
1,600,000 copies, not sure if that includes Zero and the guidebook or not.

---------- Post added July 24, 2014 at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was July 22, 2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

Better picture of all the extras that came with this month's issue.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Scanned my copy of the poster.

---------- Post added July 25, 2014 at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was July 24, 2014 at 09:01 PM ----------

And here's the Esdeath poster that came with Big Gangan.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another Akame update (reprint) bringing it over 1.9mln copies.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Esdeath poster in all its gloriousness.

---------- Post added August 18, 2014 at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was July 31, 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

Preview for the cover of Issue 9. Which I need. Now.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Will I have to accept that this series will never give my characters Im interested in any posters or covers ? :(

I guess this also means, she, Esdeath, is a key character?

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Will I have to accept that this series will never give my characters Im interested in any posters or covers ? :(

I guess this also means, she, Esdeath, is a key character?
Gonna assume you're just watching the anime if you're asking that, so no spoilers, but yes, she is very much a key character (and pretty much the fan favorite). Only girls get on the volume covers though, so don't get your hopes up for the main character appearing on one any time soon. I think Takahiro said that his favorite character is Mine, while Tashiro's are Seryu and Koro, which is why they get a lot of the promo art.

---------- Post added August 21, 2014 at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was August 18, 2014 at 03:39 PM ----------

Haven't got the full ToC yet, but according to an announcement on Joker's site, Grim Reaper and Four Girlfriends is either last or second to last (they forgot the page number in the contents). Given that the correction is that it'll be on page 865, this month's issue should be about 100 pages larger than normal.

Last edited:

Stark700

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Haven't got the full ToC yet, but according to an announcement on Joker's site, Grim Reaper and Four Girlfriends is either last or second to last (they forgot the page number in the contents). Given that the correction is that it'll be on page 865, this month's issue should be about 100 pages larger than normal.
Any particular reason why the magazine is longer?

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Any particular reason why the magazine is longer?
Probably the three new series starting this issue. Ironically, Akame is actually shorter this month according to the artist, but that's because he was busy with drawing Volume 1.5 than the magazine running out of pages.

Stark700

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Probably the three new series starting this issue. Ironically, Akame is actually shorter this month according to the artist, but that's because he was busy with drawing Volume 1.5 than the magazine running out of pages.
Three new manga are starting in the September issue? Any idea if any are ending?

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Three new manga are starting in the September issue? Any idea if any are ending?
Zettai Rei'iki is ending, but that had fairly short chapters so it's not saving that much space.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Issue 9: