Discussion - Most moronic laws | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Most moronic laws

Sakura Saluja

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hahah you are right in that -.-' that's why I said it can be a little difficult sometimes. Mmm well.. If someone smokes at home and they got children iI think it's their choice, after all they're their children. But I wouldn't want them to smoke in front of my child neither :p. However you are right: If they don't care, it's difficult to make them stop. It's true you couldn't force them to stop smoking neither.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
In my city they banned smoking in public as well. I didn't really care, but I must admit that since I don't smoke but have friends who do it its rather btohering feeling the smoke right next your nose moreover if u know what health probs u can have because of tabaco smoke :/ .

But by freedom, what do u mean exactly?
People should have the freedom to smoke in their car or do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt others.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Thank you.

Personally, I think US should get rid of the minimum age for buying tobacco products or at least, lower it to 16. I'm annoyed at people without ID asking for Black and Mild or some sort of smokes without ID. And to be honest, I couldn't care less if they're giving themselves cancer, their problem. If you were really old enough, why wouldn't you carry an ID anyway? Luckily they weren't able to convince anyone to buy them Black and Mild.

One law that would definitely not be moronic is banning old toads who can't drive from driving. They cut too much and/or drive slow. I was driving, and this old guy made a left turn onto my lane, and I got pissed so I passed him illegally and cut him off. Not only that, but I see a lot of old people making right turns even though the car they cut off is quite close.

Sakura Saluja

Reaction score
Country
Spain
One law that would definitely not be moronic is banning old toads who can't drive from driving. They cut too much and/or drive slow. I was driving, and this old guy made a left turn onto my lane, and I got pissed so I passed him illegally and cut him off. Not only that, but I see a lot of old people making right turns even though the car they cut off is quite close.
I agree. It's not just that they drive slowler than the rest of the ppl, they could make traffic accidents to appear more often or more easily too. I think u once come to an age when there are many things u can no longer do, due to the age.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not sure of what exactly banning smoking inside cars entails... To begin with I would think kids being in the car is a secondary issue. If that was a problem then banning smoking in the vicinity of children would be the more coherent approach. I would think that the approach here should be to ban smoking while driving. Unless people just kinda stay in the cars to smoke while not driving... I feel like I am missing something here.

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
Well, if you consider the space, when compared to let's say a house or a restaurant/pub, the law makes sense, since the CO concentration of a closed and tiny space can be twice or even trice higher than that of a larger space.

But I do agree, smoking in the vicinity of children would be a more proactive approach.

Sakura Saluja

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Well, if you consider the space, when compared to let's say a house or a restaurant/pub, the law makes sense, since the CO concentration of a closed and tiny space can be twice or even trice higher than that of a larger space.

But I do agree, smoking in the vicinity of children would be a more proactive approach.

I think that if people keep smoking even after having children, they don't care about their children's health at all (from the sanity point which I know really well unfortunately :33)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think that if people keep smoking even after having children, they don't care about their children's health at all (from the sanity point which I know really well unfortunately :33)
I don't think that is the right approach to the whole thing. Smoking causes an addiction, an actual medical condition and an actual chemical dependency. becoming an addict is a person's own fault but dropping an addiction is not as simple as simply stopping doing something even if it is a mundane one such as smoking (although it varies between people). Putting the issue like that kinda does not deal with the actual problem and twists an actual condition which can and will likely be excruciatingly difficult to control into not loving your children. People with addictions don't lack feelings for others, they simply have a chemical dependency which makes every cell in their body ask for a given substance. From what I gather addictions don't even actually ever go away for that matter, you just learn to manage and live with the urges every day for the rest of your life.

Sakura Saluja

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I appreciate the scientific point of view ^^ but as I've been teached: You can't leave an addiction unless u want. Which means that if they really want to stop smoking and they try hard they will be able to drop their addiction. I'd do that of I had children :p. What I mean is that, in an addiction, not everything is chimical: it also matters people's will so if they don't have the will they will keep smoking even if it kills everyone (just an example and exagerating :33)

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
So I've found a site where the dumbest laws are underlined. For the US, I've extracted this:

Knocking stones into a public park is prohibited.
which is actually really weird :lmao...really?

I also found one which applies to the NL.

Prostitution is legal but the prostitutes must pay taxes like any other business.
Yet, it does not seem that stupid...if you ask me.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I'd agree with it not being stupid. If prostitution is made into a legitimate business with regulations, controls and all that whatnot it usually involves then there is no reason for it to not be taxed. Making prostitution legal and being able to guarantee certain standards requires taxpayer money anyways so making it legal without making it pay taxes seems rather absurd. It wouldn't necessarily make prostitution an easy career path but it is just too convenient for them to have to have taxpayer money take care of them while at the same time not giving anything back. They wouldn't be carrying their own weight IMO.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any legal, profitable business should be taxed imo... and probably a lot of illegal ones as well...

Sakura Saluja

Reaction score
Country
Spain
In my country prostitution is illegal. However, I think that if they made it legal, there would be less people working on that or, at least, their work conditions would be a bit better like in many other countries. Also, I agree with the taxes: if it becomes legal, it's logical we think of it as any other job isn't it??

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Legalizing prostitution is better. Dunno why it's been made illegal in most places.

Imperium

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Re - The Smoking car ban

There seems to be a mistaken assumption here that it is banning anyone smoking in cars. It is not. It's intention is to ban people smoking in cars while children are present. And only then. So a normal adult would be fully able to smoke in their own car for as long as they want but they won't be allowed to smoke while a child is in the car with them.

Naturally this wont stop children being exposed to secondhand smoke but it will help in curbing the amount of exposure there is. Especially because studies have shown the amount of secondhand smoke in enclosed spaces like cars is extraordinarily high.

Reactions: M3J

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Ikr! I like how u think :33 ^^
It's not for dirty reasons though. Legalizing prostitution is much safer because the prostitutes will get protection, whether health-wise or from bad people.

Take cigarettes for example. It's legal, yes, but also expensive, so there are some people who are making counterfeit cigarettes. While it's cheaper, it's also unhealthier because they will put whatever they want in it without caring about whether it's safe or legal, whiel the tobacco companies are required to make it not that poisonous. So, the bad guys make money, while the consumers save money at a sketchy expense while getting their tobacco fix.

Legalizing prostitution not only takes away money from bad people, it also can put more money in government's greedy, grubby hands and contribute to the safety of the prostitutes, customers, and health overall.

reesestl

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
In NY subways summons can be issued against you if you occupy more than one seat, even in the middle of the night, inside an empty train! According to N.Y.T., "Far more people got tickets for taking up two subway seats — many of them late at night — than for fare-beating on buses, an abuse of the transit system that is openly practiced in broad daylight."