Discussion - My thoughts on Griffith | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion My thoughts on Griffith

BASED Shinigami

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently binged watched the 1997 anime series. Also, I have started reading the manga. In all my years reading manga or watching anime, I have never felt so strongly about a character as I have with Griffith.

Griffith is a beautiful demon in my eyes. On the surface he's innocent, charismatic, and alluring. He's the type of person everyone loves and admires tremendously. Spend two seconds in his presence and you'll completely fall for him. His charm is that powerful. However, beneath that superficial level there is something dark and ominous in his being.

From the very beginning, I could see why Griffith was quite the exceptional leader and fighter. His wisdom and judgement far exceeded his peers. He commanded great respect from most people. His followers were fiercely loyal and obedient. Casca once said his orders are absolute. In the eyes of many, Griffith was perfect. Some called him a prodigy. Some called him a god. I more or less thought of him as an angel in human flesh.

I found him compelling to watch as I went thru the episodes. His dream was grand and somewhat unrealistic. To rule a kingdom of his own. A man of common origin wanted to become one of the most powerful individuals in the entire land. The idea was laughable but the people around him believed he could achieve his goal. His loyal supporters rooted for him. I rooted for him too until I realized he was dangerous and immoral.

Driven by a desire to rule over other people, Griffith would do anything to serve his ambition. He had people assassinated. He slowly manipulated and seduced a young naive princess. He even prostituted himself at one point. As long as he cleared an obstacle or removed a pebble from his path, he didn't mind getting his hands dirty. His followers were simply pawns in a chess game. He didn't really cherish or love them. He used them to serve a specific purpose and nothing more. He cared solely for himself until he met a certain man.

Guts. Griffith would repeatedly lay his life on the line for Guts. Guts wasn't just a subordinate. He was a friend. A friend whom Griffith probably secretly loved from the bottom of his icy heart. Their relationship was sincere and strong. He needed Guts in his life for numerous reasons. When Guts finally left him, Griffith simply couldn't handle what happened. Thus, his downward spiral begun.

Up until this point, I still liked Griffith despite the fact that I had serious concerns about his willingness to do anything to achieve his goal. However, my feelings were to soon to change as I watched the final events of the Golden Age arc.

Griffith went thru a horrific ordeal as a prisoner. Tortured every single day. I felt sorry for him because his punishment was cruel and excessive. I looked at him differently because by the time he was rescued by his comrades, he was a shell of his former self. He was unrecognizable. He was no longer the man who captivated me at the beginning of the arc. Now all I feel for him is pity and sadness.

Then it happened. The dreadful eclipse. I watched in agony as Griffith descended further into darkness by making his selfish decision to sacrifice his comrades so he could transcend his human body and gain the power necessary to rule. The people who served him for several years. The people who risked their lives to save him. The people who loved Griffith the most. He betrayed them all. I was greatly upset. Seeing the Apostles shred his comrades to pieces was a tough scene to watch.

However, nothing compares to what happened next. Griffith reborn as Femto proceeded to do something so shocking, I couldn't stop myself from feeling disgusted. He raped his most loyal follower Casca in front of his former best friend Guts. Whether he did it to get back at Guts or some other reason is irrelevant. This scene made me livid because I could almost feel the mental anguish Guts was experiencing as he watched his lover getting violated by the man he trusted and looked up to the most. Anger, fury, sadness, bewilderment, hopelessness, unhappiness. I felt all of these emotions as I watched the sacrificial ceremony unfold. By the end I felt the same way as Guts. Just pure hatred for Griffith.

Fast forward a bit and we see that Griffith has no regrets about his past actions. No guilt felt or remorse shown. He's become even more detestable. There is no redemption for him. He achieved his dream but at great cost. I hate him now. Awesome antagonist nonetheless. Anyway, now I can't wait for Griffith to pay for everything he has done. I hope his demon nature is exposed. I hope he suffers. I hope...Guts kills him. I think it would be a fitting end for a beautiful demon.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
You caught up with the manga already? :o

Yes Griffith was a dick but despite everything he did, when I see him in action I still think he is awesome :XD. It's like I can feel what the others feel in the manga when he appears. Miura is amazing for this.

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
You caught up with the manga already? :o

Yes Griffith was a dick but despite everything he did, when I see him in action I still think he is awesome :XD. It's like I can feel what the others feel in the manga when he appears. Miura is amazing for this.
Nah :amuse! Not completely. I know what's going on right now because I read the latest chapters. However, there's more than a hundred chapters I have yet to look at it. Much to read. Much to learn. I really like it so far. I slept on Berserk in the past, but now I see why so many people love this manga. The story is gritty but it feels so unique and real. The characters are well written and fleshed out. The art is some of the best I have seen from any mangaka. I regret not picking up this manga sooner! :facepalm

Btw do you know any good sites where I can the read the chapters?

Griffith is awesome. He's very different from a typical main antagonist. He's not evil just for the sake of being evil without any valid good reason. There are multiple layers to his character, so I find him quite interesting.

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah :amuse! Not completely. I know what's going on right now because I read the latest chapters. However, there's more than a hundred chapters I have yet to look at it. Much to read. Much to learn. I really like it so far. I slept on Berserk in the past, but now I see why so many people love this manga. The story is gritty but it feels so unique and real. The characters are well written and fleshed out. The art is some of the best I have seen from any mangaka. I regret not picking up this manga sooner! :facepalm

Griffith is awesome. He's very different from a typical main antagonist. He's not evil just for the sake of being evil without any valid good reason. There are multiple layers to his character, so I find him quite interesting.
Whats up based shini?

Im glad to see another familiar face around here
I am binge reading now im on ch 169 of the manga

I had a question about griffith
At the moment he found the egg in the creek/river after he tried to kill him self on the spiked rock
He mumbled something to himself as guts went to save him
He mumbled somrthing about,dont touch me now, if you do...

Did he know what would happen with the egg? Did he know he was going to be given the option to betray the band of the hawk?

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whats up based shini?

At the moment he found the egg in the creek/river after he tried to kill him self on the spiked rock

Did he know what would happen with the egg? Did he know he was going to be given the option to betray the band of the hawk?
I imagine him saying don't touch me earlier was because he was afraid Gut's would make him waiver in his resolve to end his life. As his friendship with Guts is the only thing that ever made him waiver.

Griffith is still just a human and had no idea what the Behilt really was thus even to him the eclipse event was a surprise. Thus no, that's why the Godhand had to convince him as he was hesitating.

Dragoon

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2

Whats up based shini?

Griffith could easily be called a sociopath but he wasn't completely evil at first despite his persona. The reason he whored himself out for money was because he needed quick and safe money for his troops but this also came about when griffith felt a tinge of guilt over the little boy who died following them to which even the seemingly undeterred griffith felt something akin to remorse and told casca as much. Something along the lines of "it was me, my dream that killed this boy"

I wouldn't completely buy into griffith being homo for guts. People back then were more... raw so their bro relationship could have seemed like that but could just have been really, really close... oohhhh, as I type this, I recall miura even saying so himself when he was asked something quite similar and he said that their friendship was... pure or whatnot

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
Griffith could easily be called a sociopath but he wasn't completely evil at first despite his persona. The reason he whored himself out for money was because he needed quick and safe money for his troops but this also came about when griffith felt a tinge of guilt over the little boy who died following them to which even the seemingly undeterred griffith felt something akin to remorse and told casca as much. Something along the lines of "it was me, my dream that killed this boy"

I wouldn't completely buy into griffith being homo for guts. People back then were more... raw so their bro relationship could have seemed like that but could just have been really, really close... oohhhh, as I type this, I recall miura even saying so himself when he was asked something quite similar and he said that their friendship was... pure or whatnot
i believe griffith felt like guts took something very important away from him, and thus he felt like he had to take something away from guts

notice when they first rescued him at the bottom of the torture chamber, when guts went to hug griffith, griffith reached his hand around guts throat

what i was asking however, was did griffith have prior knowledge of the egg? it seemed like he knew what was about to happen
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I imagine him saying don't touch me earlier was because he was afraid Gut's would make him waiver in his resolve to end his life. As his friendship with Guts is the only thing that ever made him waiver.

Griffith is still just a human and had no idea what the Behilt really was thus even to him the eclipse event was a surprise. Thus no, that's why the Godhand had to convince him as he was hesitating.
gotcha, i was just wondering if there was a deeper meaning

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
i believe griffith felt like guts took something very important away from him, and thus he felt like he had to take something away from guts

notice when they first rescued him at the bottom of the torture chamber, when guts went to hug griffith, griffith reached his hand around guts throat

what i was asking however, was did griffith have prior knowledge of the egg? it seemed like he knew what was about to happen

For my understanding, he had no prior knowledge that the behelit could trigger an eclipse or summon demon lords. He knew very little. Only what the fortune teller told him when he received the egg.

Dragoon

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2

Maybe in some instinctivel level he sorta knew but he had no prior knowledge

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
For my understanding, he had no prior knowledge that the behelit could trigger an eclipse or summon demon lords. He knew very little. Only what the fortune teller told him when he received the egg.
When he felt he was about to die and be sucked into the Abyss, Wyald tried to coerce Griffith into using the Crimson Behelit telling him to "summon the four angels" through the egg, which prompted Griffith to remember the vision of the God Hand speaking to him during his imprisonment. So while he probably didn't know he would have to feed his comrades to the demons, he could have suspected or felt something bad was about to happen.

Wyald never appears in any of the anime though, so this episode is only present in the manga.

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
Whats up based shini?

In dark horse scans, he mumbled something different, on the lines of, "if you touch my shoulder, then I will never again with you." before that he abandoned his dream and Guts was always a source of confidence and someone who purged his fears. Moreover, Now Griffith didn't have any reason to live (something that he demanded as a prerequisite in his friend). So Guts showing his friendship to Griffith made him turn away from everything (including Guts) while his attachment to his dream must have activated the Behelit and I don't think it is clear yet about how Behilit is activated.

Last edited:

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
In dark horse scans, he mumbled something different, on the lines of, "if you touch my shoulder, then I will never again with you." before that he abandoned his dream and Guts was always a source of confidence and someone who purged his fears. Moreover, Now Griffith didn't have any reason to live (something that he demanded in his friend). So Guts showing his friendship to Griffith made him turn away from everything (including Guts) while his attachment to his dream must have activated the Behelit and I don't think it is clear yet about how Behilit is activated.
the animated movie made it seem like the blood from his neck (after attempting suicide) was the catalyst that activated the egg...

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
the animated movie made it seem like the blood from his neck (after attempting suicide) was the catalyst that activated the egg...
He didn't attempt suicide. He overheard the conversation in between Caska and Guts where she was urging him to go and find his own dream and his reasons to live without clinging on to something/someone because he is Griffith's friend (while Guts wanted to stay with caska and Griffith). That made Griffith recollect his past self, His obsession towards his dream and his childhood desire. And in a desperate act of clinging to his dream, he started driving the horse-cart back to where they came from. His fall in the pond was accidental.

No one knows the complete procedure. Pouring blood on it is a part of it. If it was that simple then magicians like Flora and others must have known.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
He didn't attempt suicide. He overheard the conversation in between Caska and Guts where she was urging him to go and find his own dream and his reasons to live without clinging on to something/someone because he is Griffith's friend (while Guts wanted to stay with caska and Griffith). That made Griffith recollect his past self, His obsession towards his dream and his childhood desire. And in a desperate act of clinging to his dream, he started driving the horse-cart back to where they came from. His fall in the pond was accidental.

No one knows the complete procedure. Pouring blood on it is a part of it. If it was that simple then magicians like Flora and others must have known.
I believe he meant when Griffith pricks his neck on a sharp piece of wood after he falls from the cart into the lake. He was definitely contemplating suicide at that moment.

Intense negative emotions such as despair and anguish, along with the desire to change one's own situation, seem to play the biggest part in the activation of a Behelit, which Griffith must undoubtedly have felt then. But as you say it's still unclear whether they're ultimately necessary or not.

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seemed like he was trying to commit suicide but chickened out at the last minute. He wasn't brave enough to take his own life but had no problems sacrificing the lives of his comrades. Bastard. I still don't understand why he didn't want Guts to touch his shoulder. I read have everyone's statements but that scene is still very open to interpretation.

Regarding the procedure for activating the Benefit, I think two things are absolutely necessary.
1. Blood
2. An intense desire or feeling
Aside from that I don't really know.

Anyway, I hate how he thinks he's so above everyone else. I was reading the chapter where Guts encounters Femto again in another eclipse and I couldn't stand the way he talked to Guts. Made my blood boil! He needs to be humbled. However, when he's in his Griffith form it seems like his personality slightly changes.

Dragoon

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
It seemed like he was trying to commit suicide but chickened out at the last minute. He wasn't brave enough to take his own life but had no problems sacrificing the lives of his comrades. Bastard. I still don't understand why he didn't want Guts to touch his shoulder. I read have everyone's statements but that scene is still very open to interpretation.

Regarding the procedure for activating the Benefit, I think two things are absolutely necessary.
1. Blood
2. An intense desire or feeling
Aside from that I don't really know.

Anyway, I hate how he thinks he's so above everyone else. I was reading the chapter where Guts encounters Femto again in another eclipse and I couldn't stand the way he talked to Guts. Made my blood boil! He needs to be humbled. However, when he's in his Griffith form it seems like his personality slightly changes.
Gotta hate griffith with all your guts but no denying he is quite the character

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gotta hate griffith with all your guts but no denying he is quite the character
Haha nice one. Hate him with all your "guts"!

He's seem rather OP at the moment. His abilities involve space manipulation right. How can Guts beat him if he can't even get close?

Dragoon

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Haha nice one. Hate him with all your "guts"!

He's seem rather OP at the moment. His abilities involve space manipulation right. How can Guts beat him if he can't even get close?
He can't :/ not unless there's somesuper secret method of killing off a god hand or he attains an emperor's behelit and sacrifices casca

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
He can't :/ not unless there's somesuper secret method of killing off a god hand or he attains an emperor's behelit and sacrifices casca
I would hate for that to happen. I like Casca.

Last edited: