Shoujo - Nana by Ai Yazawa | Page 26 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Nana by Ai Yazawa

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: [Shoujo] Nana by Ai Yazawa

How is it that I can't thank and like your post at the same time, Zeltrax? :gwah

that was such sweet praise for the manga :wtf I always thought that it was unappreciated here in MH... but maybe the hiatus is turning people off from picking it up (for first time readers), unlike in the old days where I could mention at least five people at the top of my head who read it.

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

How is it that I can't thank and like your post at the same time, Zeltrax? :gwah
Well, I can like your post for thanking mine :D...whatever sense that made.
that was such sweet praise for the manga :wtf I always thought that it was unappreciated here in MH... but maybe the hiatus is turning people off from picking it up (for first time readers), unlike in the old days where I could mention at least five people at the top of my head who read it.
It's weird really, I don't intended it to be sweet, I just...whoa, typed everything when I listened to that song.
It's like everything from Nana came back to me and now I'm eager to jump back on it again.

I think that the hiatus shouldn't turn people off, people shouldn't see Nana as a "series I won't read because it's not going to be finished anytime soon"
but as something that they should read...ongoing, hiatus, whatever. Really, you don't need Nana to be completed to teach you anything. There are so many
parts of the manga that were so heart-tugging and touching that opened up my mind so much.
Nana still have that special spot in my heart after not reading anything related to it for a year now :XD

Txapeldun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I've wanted to read this manga for a really long time, but its eternal hiatus kind of put me off from it.
Is it worth it? Should I wait for it to resume?

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I think it's really worth it. are you familiar with Yazawa Ai's other works?

Txapeldun

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I think it's really worth it. are you familiar with Yazawa Ai's other works?
Nope, I though Nana was a good starting point.
I'll start reading it then.
Should I have the hope of seeing it resuming? Or are the odds too low?

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I'm not really sure because the mangaka had a wrist problem. But I think she will have to resume it, it's not like she's old or anything. And it's by far her most famous work. It would be sad if she didn't finish it- I mean, if I was a writer with any unfinished work it would bother me until the death bed lol.

Nana is a good series to read even for males. Because it deals with pretty serious stuff that happen to 20-year olds all over the world like moving to the city from a hick town to make it big, only to find yourself unemployed and running out of money. Or getting pregnant. >.>

Last edited:

Number A

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone

Nana is heartbreaking, frustrating, prone to hitting a little too close to home, and without question the best manga I have ever read. Read it, I cannot recommend it highly enough, but be warned: it may leave a hole in your heart that nothing but the uncertain end can fill.

Maybe not so uncertain ;) I'm sure most of you know this already but Junko's Room has been updating on a bi-monthly basis since January 2013. Raws can be found here. I don't know what this means for the future of Nana but it sure tells us that while it may be gone it is not forgotten.

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

yeah I don't know how to interpret what the return of Junko's room could mean. But like I said, maybe she's just easing into the drawing exercises through Junko's room before returning full blast with Nana chapters.

hachiyusuou

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello. To be honest, I'm doing my new tattoo based on Ai Yazawa's NANA and I just need first page of chapter 2 to get quote I want in japanese. So any of you can somehow help me? :( I will be so so so thankful. I already have 'ren no hana' tattooed on my back and now I need to make this even more special. Aaaand I'm bad at browsing internet so I couldn't find non-translated pages. :")

This is the page I have in mind.

(I don't know if this is good category of forum for me, I'm sorry)

Txapeldun

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
There's a new Nana calendar for 2016, but no news on the manga resuming.
What should we expect for 2016? Will Nana be back?

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have absolutely no news about the hiatus... :scry

Jennifer270900

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hey I'm new here and actually late? But did you know in August last year Ai Yazawa had an interview about NANA and said that it is her work of her life. And she will finish the manga! I read the full interview on facebook but I can't find it anymore... I hope anyone sees my post haha

nyaaawn

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi! I'm new to this forum, but not so new to NANA. Read the entire thing a month before it went on hiatus 11 years ago, and (what with all the time corona-chan has given us) decided to re-watch and re-read the entire thing now.

Anyone want to indulge me in a discussion or speculation on how things will go for the story? I know now not to hope for Yazawa-sensei's return anytime soon. But I feel like she left a lot of tiny hints throughout the manga that can tell us where the story is headed (even if it's just speculation). I surely did pick up on a lot of them when I decided to read the manga again and pay closer attention to details - how she foreshadows a lot of things through inconspicuous details. I'm certain many of them have been discussed here before (I did a bit of back-reading. ><)

I have to agree that some of the interpretations can be skewed due to translation. I'm reading the official Viz translation while also referencing to my Japanese tankoubons (not yet nearly as good at Japanese to understand everything but I can pick up nuances). So I'm thinking of re-reading the entire thing in Japanese after I finish the English one. (Already read through fan translations before, and although they aimed to convey the meaning, the flow of the dialogue?? was just difficult to follow for me.)

I have my own take on how it's going to go (although I might backtrack and revise some of them since I wrote this before re-reading the Viz version). I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks. https://nyaaawn.livejournal.com/94657.html

Last edited: