Shoujo - Natsume Yuujinchou by MIDORIKAWA Yuki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Natsume Yuujinchou by MIDORIKAWA Yuki

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends)
By: MIDORIKAWA Yuki
Genre: Fantasy, Supernatural
Serialized In: LaLa
Scanlated By: Transcendence and Ashitaka x Taiyou
RTS

Natsume's just an ordinary kid, except he can see spirits just like his grandma Reiko could. Reiko used to bully the spirits and bound them to her will in the "Book of Friends". Now that Natsume has inherited this book, a never-ending stream of spirits is coming after him to retreive their names from the Book. With the help of a spirit "cat" (who says he just wants Natsume to die so he can have the book), Natsume spends his days dissolving the contracts that bind the spirits and trying not to get killed.

An unbelievable, genre transcending manga. Natsume is a modern fairy tail about loneliness, isolation, finding people to love, and learning to trust them. Comparable to Mushishi in rich, vibrant beauty and depth while appearing to be a simple story. A must read for all manga fans and one of my favorite series of all time. Adapted into an equally brilliant anime.

Last edited:

gorbal

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: [Shoujo] Natsume Yuujinchou by MIDORIKAWA Yuki

Love your summary! I just got into this series again. It's so imaginative and inspiring; and it's nice to see that mangahelpers has scans and translations past chapter 22.

I won't spoil anyone but I am liking Natori more and more the more I read. (can we link to spoilers on chinese forums here?)

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Chinese raws are welcome as long as they are in spoiler tags or linked too :)

I like Natori a lot. He seemed a bit sinister in the beginning, as he's grown into Natsume's mentor/benefactor he's really grown on me. His questioning of Natsume's loyalties, human or ayakashi, has been very interesting. The more they spend time together the more Natsume seems to learn to trust people. I like Taki a lot too; a really interesting, recurring girl is a welcome change.

gorbal

Reaction score
Country
United States

Okay, well there are spoiler images from 41 at the end of this thread on Baidu boards-
Link

There are a few english spoilers on the second page of the thread. It looks like it is some sort of NatoriXNatsume group because it also has pictures, fanfiction, doujins and videos of them.

The two characters that make the largest impression on me after the anime are Matoba and Natori. I think the arc that begins at chapter 23 would make a good movie. You really feel like you are going on this journey with Natsume that is quite dark and deep and facinating.

Edit: Chapters 24 and 25 apear to be scanlated:)

Second Edit- 41 is up and translated here...yahoo!

Last edited:

Elleian

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

It's a pretty good read thanks for the rec. Though I'm a tad more interested in Reiko and her bullying days.. lol

Albiore

Reaction score
Country
Spain

I have to read it. I've seen the anime before, but i have only read one or two chapters of the manga :/...

Midnightthief

Reaction score
Country
United States

I really enjoyed the anime when i first watched it and then i found out about the manga. I'm so happy that the manga actually continues the anime.

natli

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland

I just stumbled upon this manga thanks to the shout-out. It is slow and contemplative, but I'm hooked :D I like how Natsume accidentally gathers ayakashi around him, gaining notoriety in the spirit world, while 'professionals' treating them like servants don't even come close :)

gorbal

Reaction score
Country
United States

So has anyone read chapter 26? I'm curious what people think about the first arc after the anime ends.

It is like the whole mood changed when Matoba enters the picture; a little more like a mystery I guess. He is so dynamic a character; I love that he exists.

It seems everyone seems to know about Reiko, I wonder if they also know about the book of friends since it appears to be common knowlege around Youkai.

chan-chan

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Yup... just finished reading volumes 7/8/9...

Motoba is quite an interesting character. He's the direct opposite of Natsume. And Natori is like the balance between both of them.

I think he only knows about Reiko but I doubt he knows anything about the yuujinchou (as of volume 7)... he may know about it soon..;)

Midnightthief

Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh yes i think it is getting very interesting. I would like to know what Matoba is planning to do with Natsume.

gorbal

Reaction score
Country
United States

We were having an interesting coversation on livejournal on whether or not Natsume might be part Youkai or have Youkai ancestry deep in his family tree, like some historical Japanese figures do. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hamy

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

Hm... somehow I am doubtful of that given how its been so far with Youkai and humans, that even if they wish to be together its not as if they could really touch one another (and this extends beyond Natsume Yuujinchou to the authors other one shot which I can't remember since manga fox removed it >:E when its not even licensed! Wherein the heroine could only touch the boy revived by a youkai at the time he had to pass on.) In fact that would be the pain of such chapters as the Tsuyokami, firefly, swallow, and sakura painting chapter (more recently chapter 43 with Taki's grandfather). Youkai do wish to be with people but in the end its a distance that cannot be entirely crossed except at end of the tunnel.

Of course we do see those with powers capable of grasping them but then again that would of course be something prior to containing any youkai blood. Besides I don't see Midorikawa Yuki, based on her previous works, of going down that route (she doesn't really delve on the root of the power as she focuses on how such power/characteristic/talent may isolate a person from others). In fact that is the issue with people who see and touch youkai is they're outcasts. After all they can touch youkai but essentially they are human and there are limitations to them being together, and well though they are humans they see something normal humans can't and are ostracized. So you have these people who don't belong anywhere entirely (simply put they have different needs), unless they choose a side either with youkai or with humans. Choosing to side with both, as Natsume does, is difficult because in the end he can't openly reveal his secret and also he chooses the option that tries to conciliate both sides.

The Natsume's just seem to have freakishly strong power and that is about it. Then again they don't seem to be fully aware how to utilize it like say the other exorcists.

Last edited:

natli

Reaction score
Country
Poland

*just read ch30*
wow, after all that's happened to him Natsume should be completely messed up. this new ayakashi is some sort of sadistic freak :/ I liked what Natsume says about his 'servilistic attitude' - anything is fine by him and he never makes a fuss. Kinda sad....

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France

Although I haven't read the manga yet (sorry i didn't find the anime thread if it exist), I finished season 3 yesterday. I wanted to know how was the anime wrt manga ? Does it follow the chronology or is it random chapters ?
I really like the pace of the story and it remind me of mushishi.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France

Season 4 has started. At least that one of the things for which I waited to be in January already !

---------- Post added January 08, 2012 at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was January 06, 2012 at 12:30 AM ----------

Argh I'm back in France and in the library manga section, I was attracted by a Youkai title. And in fact it was the the french name for Natsume... So I was too weak, and I read completely volume 9 which will spoil me a little for the next anime episode but at the same time I was really please to see Matoba again so soon and I couldn't resist to know what happens next