Fun - Nen Ideas for my character | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fun Nen Ideas for my character

fireboy2244

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Hey everybody. I just made this fanfic character for a story I want to write based in the HxH world, but I don't know what Nen ability to give him. Please read his profile and tell me your ideas:

Name: Peicus Inkman
Profession: Myth Hunter/ Writer

Story:

Peicus grew up in a small village hidden within the mountains. At the age of eight, after his parents died at the hands of a wild animal, his grandmother used to lull him to sleep with stories of fantastic creatures and mysterious locations. Once a young man, Peicus decided to become a Hunter and discover more stories like the ones his grandmother used to tell him. He left his village at the age of twenty.

After failing the Hunter Exam once, he met Satotz, a Hunter who sympathized with the young man. Satotz inspired Peicus to retake the Exam and even took him under his wing. Thanks to the Hunter's aid, Peicus was now a new Hunter himself. His master waited for him just outside the Exam and taught him the basics one Nen, as a reward for passing the Exam.

Three years have passed, and Peicus has become a successful Hunter, making over fifty successful discoveries and publishing three award-winning books. He has worked alongside famous Hunters like Morel, Mizaistom and even his old master Satotz. Now, Peicus is setting his sights on the myths that behind the Lost Continent...

Appearance:

Peicus is a skinny and tall young man with bags under his eyes and scruffy facial hair. His hair is black and parted to one side where it partially conceals one side of his face. He wears a white button-up shirt with sleeves rolled just above his elbows and a black band on his right arm. His most distinguishing feature is a blue tie with an intricate design on it.

Personality:

Peicus is an eccentric individual who has the habit of dramatizing any event by using eloquence to the fullest. He also believes that a story is hidden just about anywhere and possesses a very inquisitive nature, which prompts him to go into a questioning frenzy, thus annoying everybody else. This also gets him distracted easily. Nevertheless, he is very professional and easy to get along with.

Abilities and Powers:

High Intelligence: Peicus is extremely attentive and can pick out small details from almost anywhere. He is also smart enough to make connections from seemingly unrelated pieces of information. He is also very wise for his age, making him very well informed about history and different cultures.

Martial Proficiency: Thanks to his training in Nen and Satotz's help, Peicus is an accomplished martial artist. Although not one to fight first, he is more than capable in defending himself.

Spear Proficiency: Having been raised in a village where hunting was the main activity, Peicus is proficient in spear-handling. Although, after the Hunter Exam and learning Nen, he barely uses his spear.

Skilled Writer: Peicus has published three different books with his discoveries. All three of his books have received awards and accolades.

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:

Riyuki

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Heres my idea for your character:

Ability: Let Me Tell You a Story

Condition : eye contact must be made with Peicus and the enemy for this ability to activate.

Description :

Once Peicus makes eye contact with the target, if the target says any of the words that Peicus has in mind (He can only have one sentence worth of words, with a limit of 7 words in the sentence), then the target gets one number added to the forehead. This number represents the total amount of damage the target will take from an attack.

When one of Peicus' words match with what the target says, then the first sentence created must be changed to a new sentence, but the new sentence may still contain the same words used in the previous, but there is a limit of only two words that can be re-used for the new sentence. Each time the target says a word that connects with Peicus' current sentence, the number increases. The first connect doesnt matter much because the number 1 will still only deal 1x damage dealt by Peicus. However, the key to this power is that every connect following the first will DOUBLE the number that appears on the targets forehead.

Example : ** First Sentence Peicus Creates** : "That old wooden Spear is weak! Fool!" -- Peicus is carrying his old wooden spear, and the goal of carrying the old beaten up spear is that it will be a conversation starter for Peicus and the target. Peicus knows that his old childhood spear doesnt look threatening, so as a result he always has his first sentence include the word "Spear" in it. This almost guarantees the target will receive a "1" on his/her forehead. The number appearing on the forehead will startle the target and have them begin wondering what the hell is going on, this plays PERFECT into Peicus' mindset and nen ability.

Peicus must now create a new sentence since his target has a "1", but he is allowed to re-use two previous words used in the first sentence. Guess what they will be? "Spear" and "Wooden", for this example. However, Peicus partially informs the target of his ability and tells them there is a number on their head. The reason Peicus does this is because if the opponent knows there is a number on their head, chances are they will TALK about it to some extent. This plays perfectly into "Let Me Tell You A Story".

The target should then say something similar to:

Target : "What the hell?! Why is there a NUMBER on my head??" or "What does a WOODEN SPEAR have to do with a NUMBER on my head?" etc..

The spear and explanation made by Peicus gives an extremely good chance of the probability of the target falling for his abilities trap. At this point, the opponent will have a "2" on their head, and this will mean they now take 2X total damage dealt by Peicus. Since the damage can increase so dramatically, he could potentially have 40% Conjuration ability to conjure a decent weapon to attack with, or use his fists. The low percentage of his conjuration wouldn't be a problem, because the opponent is already going to take AT LEAST double damage at this point.

Notes : To balance this ability more, after words are used a second time they are banished for 24 hours. I feel this ability is quite balanced overall because if an opponent doesnt talk at all, Peicus is seriously screwed lol. It's been proven though that pretty much every character in HxH talks a lot.... even some of the quietest phantom troupe members are semi-social.

I totally came up with this from scratch and your notes while at work! It was fun regardless and I look forward to future ideas!!

fireboy2244

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I like what you're doing with the storytelling theme. However, I'd like a more simple idea for his character. Something like Mizaistom's or Saiyu's abilities, where they can explain them with one or two sentences. Also, Peicus isn't a big fighter type, so I'd like it of his ability could be used outside of combat. I'd also appreciate any ideas for his Hatsu type. Thanks for the idea though.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, ideally you can do something like what leorio has. Not in the sense of having the same ability as him but rather developing a hatsu which makes sense for fighting and the work your character has to do. I guess you mean your character is an archeologist? Then ideally you would give him a hatsu that helps him do archeological work and also fight. Now, your story does take place in the HH universe which means the whole thing will end up being dangerous enough to allow for indiana jones style shenanigans (even though in real life jones would be the absolute worst archeologist ever). Leorio's nen pulse thing would be useful though, it would allow you to feel things around which I presume would be useful for figuring out ruins and were to dig. But then again, that has been done and maybe it would be too useful for the story to be interesting.

Maybe something like conjuring different archeological tools which you can use as a weapon. Archeology (as far as my 5 minute google search of it told me) is a destructive science (because once you move something you can't make it be like it was) so perhaps that is something you could also capitalize on. Perhaps something with digging... something that makes it easier to dig, removing dirt easily and quickly without hurting the object you are digging for. What removes the dirt could be the weapon if used slightly differently...

Thats all the perspective I got at the moment.... If I do come up with an actual ability I will write it down.

Last edited:

fireboy2244

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
That's actually not a bad way of seeing it. For clarification though, he's not an archeologist, he's a Story Hunter. He goes around the world uncovering the story behind them. It could range from ancient civilizations to crime scenes (that's how he ended up working with Mizaistom). Think of him as a detective/historian. He collects these stories and publishes them (like the Brothers Grimm).

As for his ability, one idea that I had is for him to be a Conjurer. He can summon an owl that carries around a notebook. After hearing a person's name and one fact about them, the owl will write a full biography about them within 10 minutes. This biography includes every single detail about the person's life up to that point, including their abilities. Peicus uses this ability to gather information about places and also to prepare for battle. I'm not completely sold on this idea, but I want to know what others think.