Discussion - Nene's Remark about Soma | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Nene's Remark about Soma

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, folks, how'bout move aside the 3rd Bout and discuss other theory for a change: Nene's ominous hunch about Soma after the defeat. Now, this is one topic that is rarely spoken in the days to come but . Here is a recap what we know so far,

In the First Bout of the Team Shokugeki, Soma and Nene were faced off against each other in cook off with Soba noodles. Due to a fact that Nene's background from a prestigious family, which also explained why Soba noodles were her specialty , Soma was once again ridiculed by everyone despite his past achievement, including his methods in using his noodle machine to make his own Soba noodles. The cook off however resulted with the Yukihira Genius's upset victory because of Soba dish, which flavor and aroma turned out to be more durable than the Soba Expert's, hence his victory over the forth Elite Ten member he defeated (First was Kuga during the festival, Second was Eizan and Third was Hayama). The defeat however prompted Nene to have a hunch that Soma is more than just an average student, and we're talking about either Soma as the Son of Saiba or something else...

So what do you think about Nene's personal hunch about the Yukihira Genius's prowess even mean?

You PC Bro

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It was a very obvious foreshadowing to everyone finding out that Soma is Joichiro's son.

"He's not just some diner brat. He's the son of Tootsuki's greatest chef; The Asura."

Something like that.

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was a very obvious foreshadowing to everyone finding out that Soma is Joichiro's son.

"He's not just some diner brat. He's the son of Tootsuki's greatest chef; The Asura."

Something like that.
Well, that is way too obvious because you gotta keep in mind that ain't nobody in the Central-except Azami himself-even know Saiba at all, let alone his past accomplishments in the Tootsuki. Heck, even Rindou and Azami's personal secretary (again, forgot his name) just met Saiba not too long ago. Then again, Azami himself is too lazy to tell the whole story to everyone, including the Pro Central Elites themselves. Although the foreshadowing about the revelation of Soma as the Unsung Legend's Kin itself might be possible in the future chapters and once they do, Soma is even revered like a Messiah and increasing his challengers. Then again, being the God really isn't much a thing for Soma....

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
As I said in the chapter's thread, it's not only about being Jou's son, but having trained with him his whole life, going against him every week, working side-by-side. Although lot's of students came from traditional culinary families, only Erina and Souma (I believe) have been under such a great influence (Senzaemon and Jou).

I even believe that will make people challenge Souma LESS. At least people outside the Jewel Gen and outside the former/current E10 members.

JonDou

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
So what do you think about Nene's personal hunch about the Yukihira Genius's prowess even mean?
The writer himself, Yuto Tsukuda, hinted about this at his Q&A panel at Anime Expo this year when he was asked about Soma's mother.

"Question #8: We never see or hear about Souma’s mom. Will that be addressed in the story?

Answer: She will appear. So there is a little bit of a hint, I don’t exactly remember which chapter or volume it was, but Souma’s father says, “Souma has a talent I don’t even have.” So Souma’s father is saying there is something that's special that he has and it must come from his mother. Yes, a little bit down the line, Souma’s mom will make an appearance. Maybe red hair."

Jouichirou was talking to Isshiki when he mentioned what Soma had that he didn't. There was an illustration of Soma walking into the storm of the culinary world, but instead of a frown like his dad, Soma faced the storm with a smile.

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
@JonDou Oh? So Mama Yukihira will making an appearance in the series too? And this is coming from the author too? Wow, this makes things even more interesting! Might expecting Saiba to tell Soma "How I Met Your Mom" story tale now.

Anyway moving on, even if the author did mention that Mama Yukihira will making her appearance in any chapter in the future, what was her role in the story aside from reforming Saiba? And what talent Mama Yukihira has that even Saiba lacked that will inherited to the Yukihira Genius anyway? I mean, Soma does possessing his dear ol' dad, his optimism and persistence has to be inherit from his mom, right?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I feel what Nene is hinting is that Soma,even though he is a first year student, has talents that is on par with top 2 Elite 10 members.

So naturally she is wondering how did he get such skills?

Lumilleon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
It was author unnecessary exaggerated addition, one point you could say Nene tried to made cool stuff so her defeat was not biggie because Souma was big deal which was already obvious.

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel what Nene is hinting is that Soma,even though he is a first year student, has talents that is on par with top 2 Elite 10 members.

So naturally she is wondering how did he get such skills?
That is the logical one, I give it to that. But it further prompting Nene or even others begs to question what else is hiding within Soma aside from the fact that he was the only kin to Saiba the Unsung Legend? For the readers such as you, me and everyone else, we know that Soma got his greatness from his lesson from his losing streak against his dad, constant experimentation to his dishes and his optimistic mind and confidence. Though one would even question supposed to ask is how the heck Soma is capable enough in reaching the tier of the Elites even with his own?

As I said in the chapter's thread, it's not only about being Jou's son, but having trained with him his whole life, going against him every week, working side-by-side. Although lot's of students came from traditional culinary families, only Erina and Souma (I believe) have been under such a great influence (Senzaemon and Jou).

I even believe that will make people challenge Souma LESS. At least people outside the Jewel Gen and outside the former/current E10 members.
That itself is really hard to tell because, from the very beginning since his infamous speech back on the Orientation Day, nearly everyone is belittling our favorite red-haired chef and assuming he was nothing but an arrogant transfer student. Well, ignorant is also apply too because he didn't know how the school works. As the chapters go by however, he became the topic within the academy because of his past accomplishments up until as the 92nd Generation's Big Three. That is until Azami came along and hit the reset button that forced Soma to start over again, starting by defeating Eizan who was tasked to destroy the Polar Star, as well his rematch against his longtime rival Hayama. This is where he going back to square one where the crowds, being brainwashed, starting to jeer and boo at him simply because he dislike the Centrals teaching, and its only then his victory over Nene gave them a returning surprise, once again.

It was author unnecessary exaggerated addition, one point you could say Nene tried to made cool stuff so her defeat was not biggie because Souma was big deal which was already obvious.
Well even we readers somewhat know the obvious, you need to consider that nobody in the Central was told by Azami about Soma's lineage, nor do they care because they want to save face or let their ego mask their troubles. Technically, this ain't no exaggeration because Nene's question about Soma alone reflecting about the Central's deadly ignorance without knowing an unseen caliber that only Soma has. That kind of Caliber is what Eishi changed his mind before having Soma join the team. Heck, even Megishima-the one who was trying not to partake the Team Shokugeki- couldn't helped but to feel both afraid and impressed after seeing Soma, despite his numerous defeat, still refuse to give in until he gain his victory by his own hands. Also, about the "tried to make cool stuff"? This happens to almost every chef who are tried to humble our hero by showing off their superior cooking skills but only a few are able to do that successfully.