New theory: Id, Ego, and Superego--Toriko's Three Demons | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

New theory: Id, Ego, and Superego--Toriko's Three Demons

goodyfresh

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The theory I'm proposing is both simple in its statement and sophisticated in its implications. Namely, that in the particular case of the character of Toriko, his three different appetite-demons are meant to represent thee Three Aspects of the Psyche from Freudian Psychology--Blue is the Id, instinctual desire and where any seemingly illogical and "psychotic" effects may bubble up from. Red is the Ego, the "human side" that attempts to fulfill the desires of the Id (thus why Red seems "subservient" to Blue) through rational, human means. White is the Super-Ego, the internalization of Cultural Rules (or in this case, THE RULES OF APPETITE, "gourmet rules" if you will, since that's the series' theme) which mediates over and restrains or controls as necessary the other two aspects of the psyche, thus being the "big boss" in some sense.

I think perhaps I MAY have the colors matched up incorrectly with the aspects, though. That is possible. Since we don't really know much about White's personality yet. It's possible, I would think, that Red could be the Super-Ego while White could be the Ego and in Toriko's case the Ego, rational human desire, is what most rules his psyche on the deepest level. But for obvious reasons, Blue almost definitely would have to be the Id. Regardless of which color demon is which psych-component, I do think this theory is quite likely to be correct, since Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi is a big geek with a large reading list and a lot of scholarship (and does a lot of research) which he likes to incorporate into his work, and it does not seem like a coincidence that the number of Toriko's appetite-demons matches the number of Components of the Pysche, and that their demeanors seem to potentially match those components as well.

What does everyone else think about this theory, which could potentially give some VERY good insight into Toriko's mind and the nature of his relationship and interaction with his Demons?

Last edited:

Mighty Action X

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Please register to see the content of this post.

goodyfresh

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Komatsu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tonga