Mobile - Nexus devices thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mobile Nexus devices thread

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
So the new Nexus 7 was officially revealed at the "Breakfast with Sundar" Google event this morning.

- Android 4.3
- 1920 x 1200 7-inches IPS display
- slightly thinner and lighter than previous N7
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro 1.5GHz (basically Nexus 4)
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB /32GB/ 32GB 4G LTE variants
- 5MP rear (shoots 1080p) / 1.2MP front camera

TL;DR - Nexus 4 guts + Android 4.3 + new exterior = new Nexus 7

- - - - - - -

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...4-3-the-latest-incremental-jelly-bean-update/

And Android 4.3, still Jelly Bean, was unveiled. Mostly a maintenance release, most of the updated stuff is under-the-hood. Google has already posted the factory images for current Nexus devices (GNex, N7, N4, N10) as well for those who are too impatient to wait for the OTA and want to flash it manually.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Just a quick question... Why would anyone need such cpu & mem?

inb4 2015 - CADD compatible phones

GG WP TECHNOLOGY

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I saw the device and it does seem nice. I was very tempted to get one to be honest. I found it a tad strange that it was 30 dollars more expensive than the predecessor though. I guess that the ipad mini being priced at 330 had something to do with it as the device remains 100 dollars cheaper. Damn you apple for making tablets more expensive....

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I think this is the best US$140 I've spent in recent times.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Alleged press photo of the LG-made Nexus 5.

It confirms the LG-made Nexus 5 is going to rock a Snapdragon 800 chipset with four 2.3GHz Krait 400 cores. On top of that, as with every Nexus smartphone, Google will debut a new version of Android. In the case of the Nexus 5, that'll be Android 4.4 KitKat. Nothing that the earlier FCC documents didn't specify, but still.

GFXBench reports the resolution of the Nexus 5 will be 1794 x 1080 (read 1920x1080). The codename of the device is reported as Hammerhead. Additionally, Google is reportedly going to make the LG Nexus 5 official by the end of October, if casemaker SPIGEN is to be believed (and we have a good reason to believe it is.)

Personally, I think the display is shopped. Only because the time doesn't display 04:40, to reference version 4.4.

All previous Nexus devices have the clock's time displaying the same number as the Android version they shipped with.

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Quick bumb to this thread about the incoming Nexus 5.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/18/...t-and-the-nexus-5-everything-you-need-to-know

The announcement of the device should be fairly imminent. Rumors currently point to Oct. 28th as the possible announcement date. Also Google had a slip up last week and accidently activated the play store for purchase of the Nexus 5.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/17/nexus-5-appears-on-google-play-starting-price-of-349/

So from that we also know that there will at least be a 16GB model starting at $349. All other information indicates there will more than likely also be a 32GB model probably for about 400.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Nexus 5 looks absolutely gorgeous as seen here:

$350-400 is rather low for a handset on PAYG(pay as you go), no? or do you get similar prices with all handsets in US? Unless that's the price of the handset excluding the monthly charges...

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Indeed it's incredibly priced. Just like the Nexus 4 was.

abc1233

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The Nexus 5 looks absolutely gorgeous as seen here:

$350-400 is rather low for a handset on PAYG(pay as you go), no? or do you get similar prices with all handsets in US? Unless that's the price of the handset excluding the monthly charges...
The new nexus devices are a special case, it's been suggested that Google subsidises them somewhat. But yeah, in terms of value for money few come close, at least nothing from the major manufacturers.

Got the Nexus 4 last year, so may just wait until the Nexus 6 (though apparently Google can't call it that) comes out. Really interested to see the Nexus smartwatch though, if anyone can create a trend for those it would be Google or Apple. Apparently it'll be releasing around the same time as the Nexus 5.

Last edited:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
The smart watch rumors are all just speculation right now at best.

I have a. Nexus 4 as well and it still runs fantastic, better than many of the newer top tier devices I've used. I'm still going to buy the new Nexus 5 though, since it would be nice to have LTE.

They'll probably just keep the phone as the Nexus 5 for future iterations like how they kept the 7 as the 7.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I currently own an S3 phone. How much of an upgrade would the nexus 5 be? I am tempted mostly because the nexus 5 does not come with any pre installed software and the one in my S3 kinda annoys me. Its not much of a hastle either however I could sell my S3 and use that very money to pay for the phone. Any thoughts?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I know, I am particularly interested in the whole unlocked thing. My issue though is whether changing from an S3 phone to one of those would be worth it. It has some nice specs but would they justify the hastle of changing it? Or should I just wait another year?

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about specswise beside camera performance; which seemingly is the recurring issue/complaint with Nexus phones. Definitely though, the Nexus would be a better bargain for what I assume to be near enough similar specs. I don't think you'd be losing too much. Especially if you're planning on getting the Nexus 5.

Sai can probably comment more on the specs....

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, for people who are really picky besides the camera the main speck issue is that the phone has no external memory slot. Its a bit of a pain considering I do keep stuff in an external memory in my old phone (although it would be a matter of transferring everything to my computer).

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
My Nexus 5 should be arriving tomorrow. I'll post some unboxing pics and such here. May write a review as well.

I played with my friend's yesterday. I have to say the reports of the camera being unbelievably shitty are greatly exaggerated imo.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, from what I gather issues with the camera are that it is subpar with the phones you are supposed to be comparing the nexus 5 too (S4 and 5S). So the camera shouldn't actually be bad in the strict sense of the word. Unless you are really into photography the camera shouldn't be an issue. Well, there is the significantly lower pixel count but a 8 megapixel camera is still pretty good for a phone. I would argue that provided the camera is at least comparable or slightly better than the S3 or iphone 5 then it is perfect for most people.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

---------- Post added November 23, 2013 at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was November 13, 2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

Sai - any word on the nexus after having used it? Plus / cons??

Last edited by a moderator:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
I love my Nexus 5 so far.

Pros:
-Display is amongst one of the best I've used
-Feel of the phone. Soft touch plastic is pleasant to the fingers and the size and thinness are remarkable
-LTE! (only in pros because I've come from a Nexus 4 XD)
-Super fast

Cons:
- Camera takes nicer photos than the Nexus 4, but focusing speed could be a lot better. Also the the stock camera software has always been kind of shitty.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About the camera, did I not hear that there'll be an update on it soon? so, that may fix a few issues with it, to which ends, I dunno...