Fall - NFL Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fall NFL Thread

Venom65437

I'm a huge Dolphins fan, so I'm going to start with our game.

Another week, another victim!

I was very impressed with the win today. Detriot on Thanksgiving is a very scary prospect, it seems like every year they really come to play, and after the first quarter, I was very worried. That said, what a way to come back and put the hammer down.

I'm very happy for Joey Harrington, at a place he had so much trouble with he came in and tore the Lions up. Except for one bad pass, he did great. Hell, half of his incompletions were drops. The Lions are lucky we didn't hang 40 on them today. You know, Joey keeps improving every week. I'm not so sure that he should stay as a fill in for Daunte. Now the rest of the season will say a lot obviously, but if he continues to play well, we need to seriously consider bringing him back and letting him quarterback this team. I don't care if we gave up a second round pick for Daunte.

Kudos to Olindo Mare too. I've given him a lot of [Censored] and deservedly so, but this week he was perfect. His kickoffs were deep, and of course he hit both of his field goals. I have to admit, I didn't think he'd hit the first one either. I hope he's gotten some confidence back so we can depend on him again. Now make no mistake, barring dramatic improvement, he still needs to be gone, but for one week, I'll stay off his back.

In the run game, we had plenty of holes and ran pretty well. Even Morris came in and ripped a huge run after Ronnie Brown got hurt. Saban is refusing to say anything until Friday which makes me wonder if he broke it... but at the same time, Saban is also just like that, he could have a severe hang nail. At any rate, I hope Ronnie is ok, we need him. And if he isn't, Sammie has to make sure to wrap the ball up, no excuse for that fumble.

Marty Booker was great today obviously, I've always liked him, and he had a great game today. Chris Chambers continues to be a non-factor. It seems like every week Saban says we're going to go to him early, and line him up in the slot, and every week we don't go to him early, and we always keep him outside. What did we give him all that money for if we aren't going to let him have the ball?

Defensively, after that first drive we were completely lights out! Jason Taylor, I thought, played awesome today. He won't be credited with any sacks, but on at least three of our sacks, he forced Kitna to run away from him and into a sack. Matt Roth finally had a break out game with two sacks and a forced fumble, and even Zach Thomas had 2, along with the other sacks. After the first quarter we shut Roy Williams down too. This defense is very good and getting better, I'm very excited.

Overall, another good win, and we keep rolling on. Next week is Jacksonville in a cruical game we have to have. I can not wait!

First of all, how terrible is Tampa Bay? I mean, seriously. Gruden has done virtually nothing to bolster the defense since he got there, and they got old very fast. They simply can not keep up, especially when they don't get any help from their offense whatosever.

As for Dallas, they're starting to look real good. Tony Romo appears to the real deal. He can seemingly make any throw, makes good decisions, and that team just believes in him. Dallas has played so well ever since he took over.

Also saw the Saints and Falcons game. I'll tell you what, no team in the league has WR's that hurt their team more than Atlanta. They drop so many passes, and it seems to be always in key situations. Vick stood in the pocket and took some big hits today, only to have his throws dropped. And it isn't like they were hit when the ball got their, they just dropped them. Especially White. New Orleans got back on track today. Drew Brees right now has thrown for more yards in a five game span than anyone else in history. He's really on fire. New Orleans also showed a killer instinct by going deep with about three minutes left. Maybe you could argue that they didn't have to do that, but it didn't bother me.

I watched the Jets/Texans game on and off, but it wasn't very interesting, so I don't have much to say.

I'm currently watching the Bears and Pats, so I'll post what I think off this game later.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: NFL week 12!

please tell me the Jets won >.> Most of the teams I picked this weeks seem to be losing (except the Ravens and Vikings :nuts)

I'm ready to see the Colts game tonight. I'm hoping that after their lackluster playing last week, the team will step it up and start playing like professionals. They can't expect Peyton to carry them the whole way :/ With McNabb out, and after the Eagles' loss to the Titans last week, this should be a good chance for Indy to get back on their feet.

And how in the HELL did Carolina LOSE to the Redskins?! They just...gah >< I hate the Redskins. I would pick any team over them, at any time. The Panthers have had a pretty good season so far, so why let up now?

Edit: HOLY CRAP! I just saw that field goal by New England, and O.O that kid has got one heck of a kick!!

Venom65437

Just saw the Bears/Patriots.

You know what? Rex Grossman sucks. No I mean, he completely blows. Like every other UF QB, he's terrible, awful, can't play for crap in the NFL. There hasn't been a player since Ryan Leaf that could lose a game by himself so easy. I felt sick watching that crap, and I'm not even a Bears fan. The Bears needs to let Griese have a shot, he can't be any worse.

The Patriots did everything they could to lose that game, but Rex wanted to lose it more. If I was a Bears fan, I'd be past pissed. Anytime Rex plays a good defense he's awful. There is no middle ground with this guy you get all or nothing.

Point is, Rex Grossman sucks ass like every other UF QB in history.[br]Posted on: November 26, 2006, 07:36:25 PM_________________________________________________Yes, Katy, the Jets won... bastards....

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States

Venom65437 said:
Just saw the Bears/Patriots.

You know what? Rex Grossman sucks. No I mean, he completely blows. Like every other UF QB, he's terrible, awful, can't play for crap in the NFL. There hasn't been a player since Ryan Leaf that could lose a game by himself so easy. I felt sick watching that crap, and I'm not even a Bears fan. The Bears needs to let Griese have a shot, he can't be any worse.

The Patriots did everything they could to lose that game, but Rex wanted to lose it more. If I was a Bears fan, I'd be past pissed. Anytime Rex plays a good defense he's awful. There is no middle ground with this guy you get all or nothing.

Point is, Rex Grossman sucks ass like every other UF QB in history.[br]Posted on: November 26, 2006, 07:36:25 PM_________________________________________________Yes, Katy, the Jets won... bastards....
I turned the channel after a little while :/ I was going for the Bears in picks today, and they lost >< Weren't they supposed to be one of the better teams right now? They sure as heck didn't impress me very much.

And yay! for the Jets winning.

Any idea when the Colts play/played? I don't think I got it on any of the channels here :/

Venom65437

The Colts are on NBC right now!

As for the Bears... they are only as good as Rex Grossman, and against good defenses, he sucks.

rabb

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

lol, well im a pats fan, so im happy. they need another superbowl championship. but thats just cus whenever the pats or sox get to the champ games, i get to head home to boston, and i like riots ^^;

actully, im more happy that they won because one of my art professors is a jets fan, and we butt heads all the time; that win the jets got over the pats the other day gave him something to brag about, and he hasnt shut up since.

Venom65437

Saw most of the Colts/Eagles game tonight.

Didn't expect to see Indy go all run happy tonight, it really threw me off. Anyway, I'm not going to really get into it but, another good win for Indy... but that run defense... or lack thereof... I think they're going to be in a lot of trouble in the playoffs if they don't get that at least somewhat situated.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States

rabb said:
lol, well im a pats fan, so im happy. they need another superbowl championship. but thats just cus whenever the pats or sox get to the champ games, i get to head home to boston, and i like riots ^^;

actully, im more happy that they won because one of my art professors is a jets fan, and we butt heads all the time; that win the jets got over the pats the other day gave him something to brag about, and he hasnt shut up since.
Feh, the Pats have plenty of Superbowl rings from the last few years, and I think their reign is over. It's time for Indy to win the superbowl <3
Venom65437 said:
Saw most of the Colts/Eagles game tonight.

Didn't expect to see Indy go all run happy tonight, it really threw me off. Anyway, I'm not going to really get into it but, another good win for Indy... but that run defense... or lack thereof... I think they're going to be in a lot of trouble in the playoffs if they don't get that at least somewhat situated.
Yeah, Phil said they started up a running game last night. And I'm glad! It's good to know that they don't always need Peyton to win. But you're right, their defense hasn't been great, and that could be a problem at the end of the season. Even if they have Manning and can run the balll, if they don't have a strong defense, then it cancels out th strong offense :/ We'll just have to see. I REALLLLLLLLY want them to win the Superbowl this year.

Venom65437

The NFL Thread

I'll do this one first before I forget it. On MNF they just mentioned that not only does Brett Favre have the all time TD record in sight, There is a good chance he can get the all time interception mark too! Haha.

Ok, I want to know when are we going to accept that Michael Vick is what he is? It seems like all the time people are saying "Oh, he's still learning." Well, no, he's had long enough to learn. He's an average QB with exceptional running ability. Accept it and get over it already.

Speaking of Falcon players, every time I watch an Atlanta game I see Crumpler drop three balls, but the announcers always rave about how great he is. Does he only perform poorly when I watch?

Why do people automatically seem to assume that Eli Manning is a great QB just because his last name is Manning? He's been pretty average too. Philip Rivers, on the other hand, has been great.

Why do the Steelers refuse to sit Rothelisberger down for a while? It's obvious he hasn't been healthy all year, and they have a more than capable backup. If they had let Ben get healthy for a few weeks, I think they could of had a good year. Instead he, and the Steelers have been terrible.

How come the NFL won't come out and state what IS or isn't pass interference? I mean, you can barely touch a guy and get flagged for it nowadays. Unless you're the Patriots, they get to tackle people and it isn't called. In all seriousness however, depending on the officals pass interference is anything from looking at a reciever, to you almost have to stab them in the back. So, what is it?

How can players who take drugs or steriods be kicked out for a year, but someone like Albert Haynesworth only gets five games. Smoking crack or pot is only hurting yourself. What Haynesworth did... well if that was you or I on the street, we'd go to jail, for quite a while. I still think he should be kicked out forever.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: A few thoughts about the NFL

I wish Brett Favre wasn't getting close to Dan Marino's record, but oh well. Guess you gotta give him credit for keeping on playing even though he's obviously on a bad team right now. He's still kind of giving them a chance to compete.

I agree about Michael Vick. He will probably never get better at throwing the ball - he's inconsistent there, will have his good days and bad days. Accuracy is his biggest downfall. If not for Alge Crumpler, I doubt that he would have gone over 100 yards in a lot of his games! But he's an amazing athlete on the run. I can't help but wonder if Atlanta should put in a two-quarterback system though, and have Schaub come on in some plays. Not that I like the system much, but in Vick's case, he'd be kind of like the Tim Tebow of Florida's offense (sorry if you don't follow college football) and it'd work fine.

I've seen Crumpler have a lot of good games, so probably just bad luck on your part, heh.

I used to defend Eli Manning, because he was Ole Miss' saving grace for a long time. But he hasn't been very impressive in a lot of the Giants' games. Since a lot of players complain loudly about Tom Coughlin and the coaching staff, though, I do think a lot of the fault does fall on Coughin for that. But I agree that Philip Rivers has clearly out-performed Manning at this stage in his career, and I think San Diego did luck out on getting him instead of Eli after all.

I think Cowher believed that Roethlisberger would at some point regain all his health back and lead the Steelers impressively to some wins. But yeah, he should have sat Roethlisberger when it was evident that he still needed some weeks off and started Batch for a few games early in the year. But it's too late now.

I think the NFL came out and put emphasis on pass interference after that Colts-Patriots playoff game a while ago where the Pats basically mugged Marvin Harrison on a lot of plays. I actually haven't seen too many poor calls on pass interference in the NFL lately, so must have been games you saw that I didn't. Right now it's more poor calls on late quarterback hits that I've been seeing.

I was surprised that the Titans brought back Haynesworth, but he HAS been contrite about that act so let's just give him a second chance and see what happens.

BTW Venom, hope you don't mind, but I changed the title to 'American Football Thread.' It's best to have thoughts in one thread here, for now, until we get a Sports forum.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The American Football Thread

Gold Knight said:
I agree about Michael Vick. He will probably never get better at throwing the ball - he's inconsistent there, will have his good days and bad days. Accuracy is his biggest downfall. If not for Alge Crumpler, I doubt that he would have gone over 100 yards in a lot of his games! But he's an amazing athlete on the run. I can't help but wonder if Atlanta should put in a two-quarterback system though, and have Schaub come on in some plays. Not that I like the system much, but in Vick's case, he'd be kind of like the Tim Tebow of Florida's offense (sorry if you don't follow college football) and it'd work fine.
Be happy you don't live in the city he grew up in >< Seriously, I live in the same city, and the highschool he attended, Warwick, is about 15 minutes away from here. All I hear around here is "Michael Vick" this and "Michael Vick" that. And of course, he made a big fuck up the other day wehn he flipped off fans after that bad loss to the Saints, so what did my city do? Apologized on his behalf. damnit >< Why coverup shitty behavior. I really don't like that guy. I don't think he's as great as they say.

Venom65437

I think the NFL came out and put emphasis on pass interference after that Colts-Patriots playoff game a while ago where the Pats basically mugged Marvin Harrison on a lot of plays. I actually haven't seen too many poor calls on pass interference in the NFL lately, so must have been games you saw that I didn't. Right now it's more poor calls on late quarterback hits that I've been seeing.
That was the worst officating of all time. To this day I can not believe they didn't make any calls in that game. All those officials should be fired for that.

I wish Brett Favre wasn't getting close to Dan Marino's record, but oh well. Guess you gotta give him credit for keeping on playing even though he's obviously on a bad team right now. He's still kind of giving them a chance to compete.
Me too, but oh well, it's going to be broken one day anyway. At least Favre can throw more interceptions than anyone as well. LoL

BTW Venom, hope you don't mind, but I changed the title to 'American Football Thread.' It's best to have thoughts in one thread here, for now, until we get a Sports forum.
You S.O.B. :pwned[br]Posted on: November 28, 2006, 08:58:21 PM_________________________________________________Also, if you didn't see the Bears/Pats game you missed Urlacher getting completely juked out of his shoes... by TOM BRADY.

How embarassing that a LB of Urlacher's caliber to get juked out by a QB. Sad. Sad. Sad.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

LadyHatake said:
Be happy you don't live in the city he grew up in >< Seriously, I live in the same city, and the highschool he attended, Warwick, is about 15 minutes away from here. All I hear around here is "Michael Vick" this and "Michael Vick" that. And of course, he made a big fuck up the other day wehn he flipped off fans after that bad loss to the Saints, so what did my city do? Apologized on his behalf. damnit >< Why coverup shitty behavior. I really don't like that guy. I don't think he's as great as they say.
Yeah, I saw Vick flip the bird at the fans. But he wasn't the first quarterback to have done that - Jake Plummer also did it a few years ago. But it does show that Vick obviously doesn't have much class, and I was kinda surprised. I expected that sort of thing from Marcus Vick, his little brother, but not him.

It's kinda too bad though - Mike Vick IS a superb athlete, but if he keeps up this kinda behavior - and inconsistency - he's gonna end up being chased out of town.

Venom65437 said:
That was the worst officating of all time. To this day I can not believe they didn't make any calls in that game. All those officials should be fired for that.
Agreed. I still think the Colts would have won that game if not for the ridiculous calls. The Titans also had some bad calls against them too against the Patriots the same year, I believe.

Me too, but oh well, it's going to be broken one day anyway. At least Favre can throw more interceptions than anyone as well. LoL
Yeah but that's not surprising. He's a wild gunslinger.

You S.O.B. :pwned
You'll get over it. Haha.

Another reason I did that was to attract more attention to this thread because we do have a lot of Eyeshield 21 fans here who like to talk about American football (although they mostly do it in the ES21 forum.)

You should try that manga sometimes.

Also, if you didn't see the Bears/Pats game you missed Urlacher getting completely juked out of his shoes... by TOM BRADY.

How embarassing that a LB of Urlacher's caliber to get juked out by a QB. Sad. Sad. Sad.
I saw that play, heh. But even Ray Lewis has bad days.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I didn't know this thread existed here 'til now Josh :p

Yeah, the Colts had a great game against the Eagles offensively, it was the first time I've ever seen Peyton totally turn the game over to the running game. Good time to do it because we seriously needed to get Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes some confidence. I've always felt a bit bad for Indianapolis running backs because I think that Peyton controls the game so much to the extent that he never allows his backs to have the opportunity to be the heroes. That's the one flaw I always saw in Peyton's game. Of course, if not for that, he probably wouldn't have been as much a master of the two-minute clock that he is now, but still.

So anyway, I'm really encouraged by the Colts' improvement against the Eagles offensively. After the loss to Dallas, I said that the Colts now have six games that they needed to use to improve, little by little, so that they can play at their peak when the playoffs start.

Game 11: Mission Accomplished. They won, and they improved their running game.

Now, five games to go. If they can do something else better in the next game, that's another mission accomplished. (Just winning big against the Titans would be an accomplishment, because they nearly lost to the Titans earlier in the year.)

Right now, that's really all the Colts need to do is improve. They're almost into the playoffs anyway, although with three teams hot on their heels for homefield advantage, they'll have to play every game anyway. Which is actually a pretty good thing, because they can't afford to slack off at all.

Oh, and I'm actually a Titans fan, heh, just so people know. But I'm also a Peyton Manning fan because he played at my college, and it was just my bad luck that he went to play for a divison rival. Still, when Peyton's retired and out of football, I'll be 100% a Titans fan.

Vince Young had an outstanding game for the Titans against the Giants, but I can't believe the meltdown the Giants had. New York fans was out for blood after that game... Eli Manning may be on the bubble now. Coach Coughlin definitely is...

Venom65437

10 days of preparation for this?

Ok here we go... all three phases are to blame for this.

On offense, what can you say? Joey had two completely terrible throws. It's kinda funny we should lose on a day where Chambers had a break out day with 121 yards. I want to know... whatever happened to the fade pattern to Chambers in the end zone? We used to do that all the time, why don't we do that anymore? Try to thread the needle between two defenders? Just stupid. Chambers has basketball hops, we need to use them.

The running game was ok for while we were able to use it. Morris and Minor ran well enough to keep the defense honest.

Also, we still had too many drops. I know not all of Joey's throws were GREAT, but it seems like our WR's NEVER help the QB out with the great catch. There were a few balls that COULD have been caught but weren't.

Defensively, there is no excuse for giving up a 95 yard drive after the first interception, none at all. We were terrible on third down, we allowed way too many third down conversions, and way too many plays of 15+ yards. And the tackling at the end, was just terrible. Letting Jones-Drew run over virtually everyone on his TD run that effectively ended the game. In their defense, they were on the field wayyyyy too much, but not getting off the field on third down had a lot to do with it too.

Special teams... Olindo just sucks. He's terrible, and he has to be gone. Another week, ANOTHER big missed kick. He could have made it a one score game, but missed. I know he made the other one, but by then it was just way too late.

Overall, a pretty horrible game. Joey regressed. The defense broke when we needed them most, and Olindo was just terrible.

I'll post the rest of my thoughts about week 13 later...

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Just curious, does everybody in the world hate the Seattle Seahawks. Sorry just feels like the only fans of the Seahawks are Washingtonians. Sure this season isn't spectacular but 7-4 (so far, they're playing right now) garuntees they're going to the Super Bowl.

Venom65437

So Seatlle will automatically beat Chicago? (After they kicked their ass earlier)

Or more important... Dallas?

Seattle is far from perfect, they are no where near a "lock" to play in the Super Bowl.

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Sorry but I meant playoffs, there is never any garuntee for Super Bowl.

Wow i sound like such a noob in my earlier post so let me change that mindset by discussing about their flaws. I don't believe Seattle can automatically defeat anybody. They're a very rythematic team and some days they just perform. Look at Alexander, he came back from his injury to run 200 yards at home last Monday but was stopped today. Last year I think they scored the most points in the first quarter then anybody else (not sure) this year they cant seem to do anything till the second half. Though for me that makes Seattle such an enjoyable team to watch.

rabb

Reaction score
Country
United States

XD the pats won again this week. im a happy camper.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States

How did my Colts lose? ;________; why? how? fehhhh ;_________________________________;

How very depressing ><

But my Falcons won =D From what I saw, it was a good game. Vick came out stronger in that game than (i beleive) he has all season. Unless Im forgeting games or something >.>

And as far as Seattle, I guess they're an okay team. They're a good team, but I don't see anything fantastic about them. I DO pick them quite often, though, for weekly picks quite often, but, blah, I don't really support them.