Josei - Nodame Cantabile by Ninomiya Tomoko | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Josei Nodame Cantabile by Ninomiya Tomoko

roma

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: [Josei] Nodame Cantabile by Ninomiya Tomoko

the RAWs were released last week. it's thursday now and no scans yet. i don't wanna look at the raws but the wait is a torture... :(

ok. i wasn't able to wait fr the scans and downloaded the RAWs. fortunately, kandidy put up chapter spoilers in her livejournal so i was able to understand what it was all about. here's the link: http://kandidy.livejournal.com/3068.html

seems really interesting now...

Last edited:

roma

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

i wonder what will happen next to nodame with the way she's acting... and i also wonder what happened between stresemann and charles auclair -- with milch's previous reaction on hearing auclair is nodame's teacher and now auclair's reaction to learning nodame performed with milch.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

so apparently even auclair didn't know nodame was going to perform. -_- I wonder what he'll say to Nodame this time. he's such a wise yoda after all. :p

I can't understand the reason behind Nodame why she doesn't want to perform again, when she already had her resolve to face music head on by attending the conservatoire.

and of course, chiaki's trying to contact her and he's rejected again and again. poor chiaki. honestly, it's so hard to keep standing all throughout the rejection he's experiencing through the whole manga. But I think he knew that when he decided to love Nodame that it won't ever be a normal relationship.

ibn.

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I'm still a bit upset that NCIS didn't use the shadow-skill's translation.

I personally think that Nodame left because although it was well accepted, she didn't enjoy the music. She didn't face it head on and she knows that and she's depressed by that fact. Nodame isn't the same person that was satisfied with a duet with Chiaki. So I think she will go back to the Conservatoire, but I believe she'll make a stop in London first. Music has always healed Nodame's wounds.

Pssh, Chiaki is getting what he deserves. It's nothing more than getting what he dished out to Nodame. Pushing her away, running away, leaving and never telling her he'll be back. He didn't care enough before and he's reaping what he'd sowed.

roma

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

^haha. i agree with that. chiaki is getting what he deserves. let him suffer a bit more...

as for nodame, interesting thought. if she goes back to the conservatoire, it's not going to be the same again. and do you think she'll get expelled? everyone did believe she was sick... that is until they all saw her perform with milch in london.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

nah, she won't get expelled for that. That was awesome. besides, I don't think she deliberately told the school she's sick. she just missed classes and probably everyone assumed she was sick.

@ibn,

really? NCIS didn't use shadow-skill's trans? I thought shadow-skill translated officially for NCIS? I'm confused.

@roma,

nooo! as much as Chiaki is an arrogant prick, i don't want him to get hurt that much. because he's so fragile deep inside, and he has a lot of issues that he still refuses to face, that a simple rejection could deeply scar him :(

CassiusOS

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

I did want to use s-s's translation. But he was super-busy irl, and I didn't want to make people wait any more (it had been almost a week and a half since I received the scans), and then I received s-s's translations the day after we released.

It wasn't s-s's fault, and I made a decision based upon what I believe was best for everybody. So there's really no blame to be laid, and nothing to apologize for.

ibn.

Reaction score
Country
United States

You bought up an interesting point, it's a real good question.

Hmmm... That's hard to say. They mentioned that if someone missed 3 classes they'd be expelled and I'm pretty sure she's missed more than 3 days. It might be normal for students to go off and travel since they are trying to become professionals. I think Yoda would welcome Nodame back, I don't think he's happy with her. But when the choice was between a performance when she wasn't ready or quiting, I think he'll be understanding.

I did want to use s-s's translation. But he was super-busy irl, and I didn't want to make people wait any more (it had been almost a week and a half since I received the scans), and then I received s-s's translations the day after we released.

It wasn't s-s's fault, and I made a decision based upon what I believe was best for everybody. So there's really no blame to be laid, and nothing to apologize for.
Oh, it's more than understandable. And I'm more than grateful for the NCIS release no matter who the translator is. I'm just thankful that there was a release at all. I hope I was not condescending, didn't seem ungrateful or anything like that.

Last edited:

Himemo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

I do agree that Nodame's reaction is a little weird, given that she did resolve to commit to music when she came to Paris. Then again, Nodame is a little weird, to make a major understatement. Awesomely weird.

I wonder, though, how much of this is due to the fact that Nodame never resolved her issues about music, or the issues that keep her from fully committing to music. It's my experience that when someone has major unresolved psychological issues, it can show up and sabotage the things they care about most - hence Nodame freaking out and screwing up her music, and Chiaki freaking out and screwing up his relationship with Nodame. Not to say that Nodame cares more about music and Chiaki cares more about her, but you get the point.

Chiaki is at least attempting to deal with his major abandonment issues, but have we ever really been shown what Nodame's issues are? I know ever so briefly at the end of the Japan arc we saw that stuff about her first music teacher. But that doesn't seem like enough to me. So unless I'm forgetting something (and I am apt to)....

Does anyone else get the feeling that Nodame is going back to Japan and her parents? That is where Nodame goes when she's running away from things and hiding from the world. And Chiaki would have to chase after her again. I think it would be a really nice symmetry. I think it's significant that they mentioned her passport...although she could just be going back to Paris, I suppose.

I have the feeling this series is going to wrap up a lot sooner than later.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Sooner might be the right word too :s oh how sad.

Himemo, you have a point. what else is bothering Nodame? she's never really told anyone clearly, and the only thing that was shown was about her first music teacher as well. maybe if she's driven to a corner after her running away this time she'll explode with all of it and it will all be revealed. LOL.

though I doubt that's what will happen with the story telling. I think the mangaka has always been subtle about plot revelations.

roma

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

You bought up an interesting point, it's a real good question.

Hmmm... That's hard to say. They mentioned that if someone missed 3 classes they'd be expelled and I'm pretty sure she's missed more than 3 days. It might be normal for students to go off and travel since they are trying to become professionals. I think Yoda would welcome Nodame back, I don't think he's happy with her. But when the choice was between a performance when she wasn't ready or quiting, I think he'll be understanding.
it might be fine if she asked permission from her professors to perform. but in nodame's case, she "lied." but auclair might have had a feeling her being "sick" wasn't physical illness considering his reaction here:
http://www.onemanga.com/Nodame_Cantabile/125/19/

still, i hope she won't be in trouble for this.

it really looks like this manga will be ending sooner than we hoped for.

ibn.

Reaction score
Country
United States

summary of chapter 131. http://kandidy.livejournal.com/3733.html

it really does feel like the series is ending. i think the ending will be good, but i was hoping it would go on for at least another 100 chapters.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

well with the appearance of Chiaki's father, it's a really clear announcement that she's wrapping things up, eh?

Put a closure on that, plus a closure on how Nodame and Chiaki face their feelings, and voila. an ending.

also, translation for 131 by shadow-skill is already available here. ^^

Last edited:

roma

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

chapter 131 is now available at onemanga: http://www.onemanga.com/Nodame_Cantabile/131/

chiaki's dad is quite wacky. hehe. and it's good to see shinichi like that... worrying so much about nodame and realizing that she means so much to him.

mukyaa!!! his line "When did being with her became the most important thing in my life?" put me on cloud 9. hahaha!!!

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

It was good that we finally got to see interaction between Chiaki and his dad. lol I kinda expected it would be tense and hard for both of them. But then again, chiaki was too preoccupied with thoughts of Nodame that he had no time to hate his father.

And Nodame's finally back! yosh! I need my mushy stuff now :scry

Himemo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

"Go back to the 9th volume...." Ah, good times. I love this manga.

roma, that line put me on cloud 9 too. Although it's nice to see that Chiaki is still being an emotionally stunted idiot...."maybe she doesn't want me anymore" or whatever that line was. Oh, Chiaki, not everything is about you.

baboysai, I'm looking forward to the mushy stuff too. How many chapters has it been since Nodame and Chiaki have been together? And with the hiatus - it's been almost a year now, right?

That was an excellent typesetting job with the faxes.

I can't tell if I'm happy or disappointed that Chiaki's reunion with his father wasn't more....dramatic. I thought it would be all "DUN DUN DUN" and an outpouring of emotional issues....instead they went and got fries and rather calmly discussed things. I think I like it better this way.

I'm really surprised no one ever went looking for Nodame....how long has she been away? She did just disappear without contacting anyone. Isn't that usually when the missing persons report goes out?

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I think they did. But man, if the person happened to be in Egypt, I don't think they'd ever find her, even if they did their best. Besides, I think her phone couldn't be contacted, right? Also if it was a normal person, then perhaps the next step was to file for a missing report. But the said person was Nodame- you know, people around her know what she's like, and she also disappeared like that before. How long has it been in the manga timeframe that she went missing? 2 weeks? months?

Ah there's also that face-off between Stresseman and Auclair. hehe.

Himemo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Let's see...

Nodame would need time to book a trip. It sounded like she was on a tour or something in Egypt. Although, it's Nodame, she could just be making stuff up. I don't think it's been months since she went missing, maybe two weeks at the most. Elise just called Chiaki when Nodame was in Egypt, that couldn't have been more than a couple days since Nodame went missing...and Chiaki's still in Milan? talking to his father when Nodame comes home...actually, it probably wasn't more than a week. Maybe only a few days. That makes sense. I guess she wasn't one for enough time for anyone to get really worried.

Elise did say she had Oliver looking for Nodame, that's right. Auclair was in London judging the competition. Chiaki was the one that troubled me most, I thought he'd look for her more/be more worried about her. But he probably thinks she's still avoiding him. And Nodame's what now, 25? I guess the school wouldn't have contacted anyone since she's been missing class. Actually I don't colleges care at all.

roma

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

well, she went to egypt by mistake (she wanted to go to italy). so probably after some sightseeing for a day or two she hopped on a train to go back to paris but overslept and arrived in belgium. an overnight stay there and then went back to paris the next day. so that's probably just around a week. chiaki still hasn't left for that new conducting assignment from elise.

that weird (more than nodame probably) girl has shown herself again. i wonder what both of them will be up to? =)

Last edited: