Non-Fremium apps? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Non-Fremium apps?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
As we all know, and are probably annoyed with, the rage with apps for mobile devices are usually "freemium", as in you get them for free "free" but you have to pay to actually enjoy the game. Anyone has any recommendations of more traditional games where you don't pay for specific content and without waiting times to continue playing after you run out of whatever variation of lives or currency the game has? It feels like every "cool" game that comes out for mobile devices is a variation of candy crush (which is addictive and in reality not even fun, it just manages to pretend and convince us it is). Any thoughts?

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm enjoying WWE Supercard right now. In a way.

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Flappy Bird.

---------- Post added April 07, 2015 at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was April 01, 2015 at 09:18 PM ----------

On a more serious note...

more traditional games where you don't pay for specific content and without waiting times to continue playing after you run out of whatever variation of lives or currency the game has
Define "traditional games" though. The freemium model isn't going anywhere anytime, since it's how developers make money. More so for people who just started and/or don't have any reputation at all. It's like food samples.

But free games do exist. I joked about it, but Flappy Bird is the perfect example. There's no unlocking of anything to enjoy the entire thing. Save for an ad. But I find this "model", for lack of a better term, only applies to arcade-style games. Five minute time wasters. The ones that don't exactly have an "ending". Microtrip, Gameloft's Ninja UP, those Stick Man games and similar from Noodlecake Studios. Essentially games that are simple to hack together compared to titles like Monument Valley or the numerous Square-Enix ports.

On the other side of the coin, I think it's entirely possible to enjoy freemium games as they are too. Sure, maybe frustrating at times but they are perfectly playable. I've had no trouble unlocking all the "levels" of Asphalt 8. Took a hell of a long time, but never had to invest any money. It's akin to people who, with a bit of effort, can have an entire dinner meal out of Costco's food samples.

Last edited:

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
What kinds of games would you like to see, and which mobile OS? Like Knifeshade said, I've found free games I enjoy a lot but I don't know if you'd want something more elaborate or of a different genre from the kind of stuff I'd have tried. Some examples: "Pixel Dungeon" (graphical RPG/roguelike - Android), or "Ellie - help me out please" (point-and-click horror - iOS). I can suggest a bunch more if you want, including stuff in different genres but that I don't know as well because they crashed my phone too much to keep?

Most freemiums can be enjoyed as they are, I agree, but some are intolerable you have to admit. Most of the very few games I've paid for were worth it too.