Discussion - One for All Quirk | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion One for All Quirk

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
One for All initially seemed to be a straightforward quirk, one that boosts physical abilities to superhuman levels. With time, it has become evident that it is a lot more than that.
Here you can post theories and discuss about the quirk shared by All Might and Midoriya.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
My theorie about OfA: It sucks away on the users life.
In chapter 33 Deku saw the previous OfA users and All Might in the shadows, there were at least 8 other users. In the first chapter the doctor said that Dekus mother is a 4th generation quirk user, meaning Deku and the other kids of UA should be the 5th generation. A generation normally is a time frame around 20 years so the first human with a quirk was born something around 100 years from the actual date. In 100 years 8 people dying because of a natural death (old age) is not possible with todays medical advance. I also thought about the previous users overusing OfA the first time they used it and killing themselfes accidently or beeing killed by other criminals or criminal alliances like All Might almost died, but then there would be the problem of giving OfA to the next choosen one. All Might himself said that he searched for years until he found Deku so the previous users should have faced the same problems.

To sum it up: One for All is sucking the users life away and Deku probably won't become older then 40 years, dying an early death for todays and the future medical standards in an advanced country like Japan.

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
My theorie about OfA: It sucks away on the users life.
In chapter 33 Deku saw the previous OfA users and All Might in the shadows, there were at least 8 other users. In the first chapter the doctor said that Dekus mother is a 4th generation quirk user, meaning Deku and the other kids of UA should be the 5th generation. A generation normally is a time frame around 20 years so the first human with a quirk was born something around 100 years from the actual date. In 100 years 8 people dying because of a natural death (old age) is not possible with todays medical advance. I also thought about the previous users overusing OfA the first time they used it and killing themselfes accidently or beeing killed by other criminals or criminal alliances like All Might almost died, but then there would be the problem of giving OfA to the next choosen one. All Might himself said that he searched for years until he found Deku so the previous users should have faced the same problems.

To sum it up: One for All is sucking the users life away and Deku probably won't become older then 40 years, dying an early death for todays and the future medical standards in an advanced country like Japan.
That's dark... What I find odder about OFA is that it doesn't seem recorded that there was another user with a similar power besides All Might when even the teens noticed the similarity with All Might when Deku used it.

It can be inherited just from a hair, I can't really imagine how it would be enough to drain the life force. Rather than life force, it might be the same energy released by the first Quirk user, the luminescent baby.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's dark... What I find odder about OFA is that it doesn't seem recorded that there was another user with a similar power besides All Might when even the teens noticed the similarity with All Might when Deku used it.

It can be inherited just from a hair, I can't really imagine how it would be enough to drain the life force. Rather than life force, it might be the same energy released by the first Quirk user, the luminescent baby.
About that whole inheriting concept i'm confused, how did the first OfA user know that he can give the power away by letting a person eat a string of his hair?

As i said, if a previous OfA user died by overusing OfA for the first time or beeing killed by a villain how should OfA be given to the next person? Did a stranger see a corpse lying on the ground and thought, 'How aobut i eat the hair of that corpse?' and so he got the power? And this had to happen 8 times? Also the whole thing about Deku and the actual UA students beeing the 5th generation, 8 human lifes can't end through a natural death (old age) in 100 years. There is also the fact that OfA users need to train their bodys, Deku trained his body for more than 1 year and after using OfA for many times with breaking his bones almost all of the times, he still can only use 5% of it.
This makes my theory even darker: the OfA users train many years of their lifes to master OfA, but when they finally manage to control it they already sealed their early deaths.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Maybe One for All just gets passed to a random person if the current holder dies. It is indeed weird that no one seems to realize that All Mights power might be similar to those of the precious OfA users. Maybe their previous users never realized the potential and didn't use it. To be fair, a quirk like that is pretty scary. It destroys the body if it is not controlled properly. It doesn't seem so serious because yuuhei's nurse is there to conveniently heal Deku when it happens but what if Deku was alone or not in yuuhei and OfA was his natural quirk? He would have probably convinced himself to never use it.

Its also possible that the previous users inadvertently killed people because they couldn't control their power and so, they were traumatized by it and decided not to use it. Alternately, its possible that they only realized one part of its power, for example, first discovered the raw strength and perhaps listed it as just increased strength, then maybe the second discovered the speed but not the strength and listed it as a super speed quirk etc.
Last and most realistic IMO, is that the quirk grew and evolved over time. Using above examples as well, maybe first guy only discovered strength, second guy discovered strength and speed thus giving the quirk a different name etc. The difference in the abilities also grew with time so even though the first might have had some decent speed, it might not have been enough to add as part of the 'quirk' when it was documented.

Impossibility

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
I'm just curious to see the original user of the Quirk. Exactly how did he gain the ability to pass on his own? I'm actually expecting a rather dark history to the ability.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess? One for All started probably started out as All for One. Instead of passing power around, it began as something that took power from a source, supposedly other humans, and making the quirk and user stronger. However, something happened to the original user and, somehow, the quirk transformed into what it is now. However, a side effect is that those who wielded or, maybe, absorbed by One for All/All for One don't die, or precisely, can't die. Their will, and perhaps, their soul, are all apart of this new hero or, a more accurate term, host. Remember, in order to gain All for One, Deku had to train his body. Now, the idea was that Deku had to train his body in order to handle the stress of All for One, but maybe, it's to handle the stress of these entities within him.

All Might appeared surprised when Deku told him about what he saw during the fight, but it was played for laughs and it appeared as if All Might didn't know anything about it, but after Deku left, he became solemn and it's implied that he does know what going on. Basically, All Might already knows he's half dead. He is literally a shell. He also mentioned that he saw the hallucinations during his youth. Now, to me, this could be taken a couple ways. Either he is lying about just seeing it in his youth, and he still actually sees them, or, one must reach a certain level where these illusions no longer can take control or influence the new vessel. Either way, he is trying to protect Deku from something or wants him to fight it on his own.

This next theory is a bit more out there, but still connected to the first a bit. The luminescent baby isn't the first quirk user, but is somehow connected to the first quirk user who, I assume, had One for All, or at least, some different version of it. I think One for All is the progenitor for all quirks. Someone went around and spread the wealth of power to a good portion of the world. Now, this would mean that, on some level, everyone is connected to One for All, which, I believe, is going to play a big part later on in the series.

So yeah, that's my current theory for One for All.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
One of the things I find weird about one for all is that it supposedly is the summation of the strength of the people who have had it. But how did that happen? Right now deku is supposedly using 5% of his power and he is still blowing todoroki's power away. But then again.. does that make sense? There are around 8 one for all users.. Adding up their strength of 8 people would obviously result in superhuman strength but not to the extent where a finger can cause shockwaves at only 5% of their intended power. It does not seem like 8 fit people should be able to do that... Well, its plausible OFA was given to people who had quirks before and thanks to that the strength of those quirks, which happened to be strength related, was passed on. Allmight was looking at the students at yuei to pass on his quirk which means having a quirk to begin with is not an issue.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Maybe OfA does more than just give a strength boost.
After the fight against Shinsou and what Deku showed in the last chapter I'm pretty sure OfA also plays around with his mind/brain. Deku saw things that are not supposed to be there, these things triggered a reaction which made him use OfA against his will, and now he broke all his fingers on his right hand, his whole left arm and his right hand and can still stand and wants to continue his fight against Todoroki. Every other human would at this point already have collapsed, but Deku is still standing while suffering this amount of pain and i, for my part, can't accept a reason for this beeing "he is detemined". There must be something else behind it, something with OfA and that it is controlling or pushing him further in this condition.
Maybe these things Deku saw will even controll him, they will do things that are meant to protect him but at the same time will easily hurt other people. I'm thinking about something like "Avatar: The Last Airbender" where the previous Avatars wanted to protect Aang but because of that they made him hurt and almost kill other humans.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
One of the things I find weird about one for all is that it supposedly is the summation of the strength of the people who have had it. But how did that happen? Right now deku is supposedly using 5% of his power and he is still blowing todoroki's power away. But then again.. does that make sense? There are around 8 one for all users.. Adding up their strength of 8 people would obviously result in superhuman strength but not to the extent where a finger can cause shockwaves at only 5% of their intended power. It does not seem like 8 fit people should be able to do that... Well, its plausible OFA was given to people who had quirks before and thanks to that the strength of those quirks, which happened to be strength related, was passed on. Allmight was looking at the students at yuei to pass on his quirk which means having a quirk to begin with is not an issue.

Good point but isn't it possible that OfA comes with in-built power itself which grows with each user since it accumulates?
AM did allude that OfA could possibly be possessed by one that already has a quirk, but it would be weird if the power of said quirk gets passed down as well. By now, OfA should have a lot more features than just superhuman abilities except all previous users were peole who didn't have innate quirks themselves and even if power from the other quirks accumulated, there are few quirks that would increase physical abilities like that. Say Todoroki or Bakugo had OfA for example, their quirks themselves don't add any physical advantage so the next person after them wouldn't benefit any such thing from them.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I personally think it's more than 8 people that's contributed to One for All, it's just 8 figures that happened to show up. I also agree with Holt in that One for All already started out as super strength and it just grew with more people.

Given how One for All fundamentally overwrites someone's DNA, I imagine any quirk user that receives One for All will lose the quirk they were born with and it'd be replaced with One for All.

dark123

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I am pasting it also here, because it is important and I think this analysis is correct
One for All is not only about accumulating strength. We can clearly see that transfer takes some time and we could also see that souls of previous users reside within next user. I think it takes accumulated strength of one person and also its life force, so after transfer will be completed, All Might strength and life force will become part of Deku. And because of that previous user dies. Now Deku has only power of generations before All Might but when transfer will be completed and All Might will die, Deku will be able to use also accumulated power and life force of All Might and this one is quite enormous because All Might was born with strong body and he trained it a lot.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not sure the transfer really takes time. Rather it takes time for OFA to completely dissipate from AM. If the transfer itself took time then deku shouldn't have had so much trouble controlling the quirk, it would have been much easier to ease into it. So the situation is that deku has all of OFA while at the same time the quirk is completely fading from AM. And once it fades he will die.

Mighty Action X

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm just curious to see the original user of the Quirk. Exactly how did he gain the ability to pass on his own? I'm actually expecting a rather dark history to the ability.
Mystery solved I guess.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I've been thinking about OFA lately. As we know, Deku can "see" his previous 8 predecessors at certain times, what if this is a representation of their life forces together? Going further, what if full transfer of OFA grants the current user accelerated healing? Not as advanced as Noumu, but still at a quick rate. For example, Deku would be able to heal small cuts and stab wounds in a single day when not activating OFA.

This would explain AM's incredible durability, and how he survived that battle against AFO with that nasty wound. It was his incredible lifeforce keeping him alive till the doctors came.

costicla

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I've been thinking about OFA lately. As we know, Deku can "see" his previous 8 predecessors at certain times, what if this is a representation of their life forces together? Going further, what if full transfer of OFA grants the current user accelerated healing? Not as advanced as Noumu, but still at a quick rate. For example, Deku would be able to heal small cuts and stab wounds in a single day when not activating OFA.

This would explain AM's incredible durability, and how he survived that battle against AFO with that nasty wound. It was his incredible lifeforce keeping him alive till the doctors came.
Well, I don`t really think it is thier life force that kept All Might him alive, it`s just that the quirk also gives him super resistance, far beyond a normal human. I mean, super-strenght without some kind of super-resistance or durability would be pointless, since the body couldn`t withstand the power. Still, those people Izuku saw in his head probably are pieces of the old One for All users. Maybe when Izuku fully massters his quirk, he will be able to use the powers of the previous holders (well, at least those that had powers).

Tasigin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone said that maybe AFO guy is letting OFA do thing so he can try and take it back?

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Has anyone said that maybe AFO guy is letting OFA do thing so he can try and take it back?
I saw that theory quite a few times.
We don't know why AFO gave his brother the "power stockpiling" Quirk, but if he knew that giving him the Quirk would create OFA and if he wanted to steal OFA after enough users strengthened it, then it would be clear why AFO gave his brother the Quirk. The only problem for AFO seems to be that he didn't know about OFA's way of passing it on to the next user, that the previous user has to willingly pass it on.

dark123

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I think he gave his brother quirk only to make him feel more despair. You want to stop your brother but he gave you quirk and this quirk is too weak... there is nothing worse than that.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I think he gave his brother quirk only to make him feel more despair. You want to stop your brother but he gave you quirk and this quirk is too weak... there is nothing worse than that.
That would make sense, his brother was frail and thus the base being 0. And thus OfA being weak in it's early stage.

Does make me wonder if the stock pile of power would be much too unless the person has a god quirk.