Coloring - One Piece in colour ? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Coloring One Piece in colour ?

Bellamy

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Hey everyone.

I was wondering about how One Piece would looks like in colour. So I took a try. I decided to choose a random scan page, and try to add colors on it. It's really amateur, so I know it's far from being perfect. But I wanted to know what you guys think of this piece of work.

More important, would you like to read, perhaps, One Piece scans if they were in colour ?
Because it's a project of mine, very fastidious indeed, but I'm first of all curious if someone would even actually read the scans if they were coloured like this.

(it took me around 20 minutes to make this)

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Nice colour work. Shueisha has undertook the releasing of colour and digital chapters of one piece. Here you will find some info and all the links to shueisha sites. PandaTeam a Chinese group also undertook a similar colouring work. Here you'll find some info about them (links are broken but the work of these guys are just mind-blowing. I don't know if there is someon trying the same with English of French digital versions.

Bellamy

Reaction score
Country
France
Nice colour work. Shueisha has undertook the releasing of colour and digital chapters of one piece. Here you will find some info and all the links to shueisha sites. PandaTeam a Chinese group also undertook a similar colouring work. Here you'll find some info about them (links are broken but the work of these guys are just mind-blowing. I don't know if there is someon trying the same with English of French digital versions.
Oh god damn !
Now I feel like shit. XD
Indeed, those guys are amazing !
Guess now I better should buy those awesome digital coloured volumes and simply translate them, if it's not done yet.

---------- Post added October 18, 2013 at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was October 17, 2013 at 03:54 PM ----------

Hey guys, I took a sample of the first page of volume 1, digital coloured.
I've tried different things and I would like your advice.
If some people likes it, I could eventually buy all the digital ones and then do a website like mangareader and all.

Here is the pure basic thing. No funky typo added. Though, I would be very interested to know your suggestions about another one, easy to read too.

Here I've tried different things, like changing the font when the bubbles are screamed ! I don't know if you like it. I've used the font AngryBirds, but feel free to suggest anything else.

Also, I would be very curious to know who, in your opinion, does the best translations ?
Thank you everyone.

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm so slow at coloring, I wouldn't be able do that in 20 minutes T~T

You know, I would like to see some scenes from OP in colour... but I think they would need a little more treatment along with aplying colour... Oda-sensei uses a good amount of hatching in his drawings, which I think don't always match a coloured piece... the hatchings can make the colours look darker, so you have to balance it... it can be tricky...

It's also nice to see that Shueisha has these kind of projects, it may be good for other markets, some people have prejudice towards manga because they are black and white, as if they were unfinished, but it takes a lot of effort and technique for b/w as much as colored...

As for the text, changing the font makes the voice intensity much clearer... the text becomes less passive compared to the bubble, so it makes for a better style in my opinion...

Bellamy

Reaction score
Country
France
I think that the work of Shueisha is great and impressive.
However, I feel like those lack of impact. They don't feel enough coloured, too insipids sometimes. What do you think ?

The best colo that I was able to find was this one : http://www.ocean-pie.com/wp-content/gallery/colorisation-poci/op574p1415poci.jpg
Obviously, that wasn't what I tried to achieve in the first place, but you've got to admit that, if One Piece was coloured like that... Oh boy !

Anyway, thanks for the feedback on the yelling font.
I've used Comic sans MS by default, but I don't like it, so once again, if anyone has a similar font in mind, I would be glad to try it.
When that will be established, I will eventually try to do a website where everyone can read those coloured translated pages.
(if anyone wants to help me concerning how to do that, feel free to !)

I think that could be great.
Again, I would love to know which translations are the more accurate, because I'm taking several fansubs as examples to do my work, even a French version.

---------- Post added October 23, 2013 at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was October 19, 2013 at 07:02 AM ----------

Hey guys !

I've continued the project. I would need your advice again.
Here's the translation with a Komika font for the normal talk.

And here's the same page but with an Anime ace font, which I believe is the one used by every fansubs ?

So yeah, let me know what you think !

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think sometimes the light and shadow are lacking on Sueisha's project, from the panels I saw...
But that coloring you posted is beautiful, the use of color on the line art is well done, even more for a touching moment as that scene T^T

I like the komika font, but it would be better if there was a lighter version of it, it's a little heavy for normal dialog...

As for the translations, I really don't have a suggested translator, maybe someone in the translators section of the forum here can help you?
Don't forget to ask for permission to use translations, or check if the translation is available for anyone to use :)

Bellamy

Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks for the feedback again !

I like Komika too, but unfortunately I didn't find a lighter version for the moment.
I think I'm gonna stick with the regular.

For the translations, don't worry, I'm using different references and people in order to release the best version possible, but thanks for the reminder anyway ! :)
I'm working on setting up a webiste currently.

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Alright, that is good :)