Movie - One Piece Live Action | Page 18 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

New trailer... Less than 24 hours...

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
The comment about the dialouges. In the interview, Oda said that in the manga. More dialogues meant less drawing (see Hunter x Hunter wall of text). In a show, there would be more talking. And the dialogues must feel natural. Hence a ton of new dialogues. Though I would think the anime would face similar issue.

The forced inclusion. I feel this change is there for couple of reason. There is no need to keep Koby around until Koby reappeared in Marineford or Water 7. Since they already paying the actor. May as well made the best of it, hence Garp is also included instead of Smoker. Garp also is a good inclusion. Especially Roger's execution always felt so lightly guarded. But with a legendary figure like him there, make sense.

After season 1, the actors for Garp and Koby won't appeared for awhile. Smoker and Tashigi got pushed into season 2. That also make sense, especially Smoker played a role in Arabasta.

I kinda like these changes. Game of Thrones don't know what to do with some of their recurring characters toward the end.

I am curious with all the changes. How would a normie felt. I wonder if a normie feel the pacing is good or too jarring, without the story context. Anyway, we will find out super soon.

Though, One thing does concern me is that they are not able to reuse their set across the seasons. They have to constantly build new sets and change locations of shooting. It is awesome for the audiences to keep visiting new place. But production budget probably will keep ballooning.

korwinkrulpolski

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
The final trailer of One Piece Netflix show came up.

Your thoughts? I personally think it looks horrific, just like another for example Attack of Titans live action movie. It just doesn't fit. Those characters (especially Mihawk) looks so unrealistic, bad, just like action figures. I guess live show of anime adaption cannot be good unless it covers real people or sci fi (I can see potential Cowboy Bebop live action as success) or make anime more real meddling with the source material. Netflix One Piece doesn't look like any of those cases. Too bad.

If I were to sum this trailer up in one word it would be -plastic.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
2am where I live. Guess I'm giving the middle finger to my sleep schedule tonight.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
9am for me. I'll start binging as soon I get out of work.

It's gonna be hard to stay off the phone the whole work day.

Ottoman_Pasha

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This already has past the point of constant bitching and reached the level of trolling which they always try to amplify in the seek of attention.
It's unrealistic for anybody who enjoys the manga to have such an ungrounded hate for the LA when it's not even out yet. Bigotry at its best.
What I'm really curious are the opinions of people who never read the manga or watched the anime. I think this show is also aiming to gain this audience. For us who are inside this bubble, it's probably not that easy to comprehend this fully. But even if this show is immensely popular, the vast majority of Netflix's target audiences haven't come in contact with OP yet. This is huge. I'm sure Oda saw this potential and simply couldn't say no when he got the chance. Even if the result may not gonna be better than let's say 7/10. But for LA standards, 7 is indeed (very) good. Heck, the 6,3 IMDB rated Bleach LA from 2018 is even enjoyable. I'm very sure that this will be satisfying or entertaining at worst. And for me personally, I really want it to be great! What else can a OP-fan dream of!

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
This already has past the point of constant bitching and reached the level of trolling which they always try to amplify in the seek of attention.
It's unrealistic for anybody who enjoys the manga to have such an ungrounded hate for the LA when it's not even out yet. Bigotry at its best.
What I'm really curious are the opinions of people who never read the manga or watched the anime. I think this show is also aiming to gain this audience. For us who are inside this bubble, it's probably not that easy to comprehend this fully. But even if this show is immensely popular, the vast majority of Netflix's target audiences haven't come in contact with OP yet. This is huge. I'm sure Oda saw this potential and simply couldn't say no when he got the chance. Even if the result may not gonna be better than let's say 7/10. But for LA standards, 7 is indeed (very) good. Heck, the 6,3 IMDB rated Bleach LA from 2018 is even enjoyable. I'm very sure that this will be satisfying or entertaining at worst. And for me personally, I really want it to be great! What else can a OP-fan dream of!
I'm thinking minimum 6/10 and a solid 8/10 would be amazing

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your thoughts?
First of Frantz, I don't even know why you lurking in this thread. You already wrote off the show. I think it is your best interest to block it out of your mind and not let your intrusive thoughts win. I am sure there are plenty of other things to do then keep on spiral over things you don't care about.

Onto korwink, I have no idea how old you are. I have read One Piece since 1999. Heck I taught myself how to read on Dragon Ball, Doremon, Dragon Quest since 1994. I grew up not having a tv. I used to watch my neighbor's television through a fence. My country (not the usa) was poor then. We imported stuffs all over (Russia, Belgium, USA, Canadian, China, Japan, etc). Some of the things I watched then was not recent to said 1994-1999 but from the 70s, 80s, or even earlier. The stuffs that give me joy. Like said the famous and much beloved 1986 Journey to the West. Power Rangers. The canadian tv show of Sinbad. There are series I don't even know the name off. Dinosaurs are literally plastic props. Godzilla used to be a guy in a custom. Or even tv shows that blew people's mind back in the days like Heroes, Arrow, Flash, are outdated by now. Oda mentioned Shaolin Soccer as the movie that made him think a One Piece live action could be possible. And that movie is really also outdated.

If you want good shows. Check out Severance and Silos.

But yeah, if you want people's opinions. Scroll through this thread. Look at the comment section on youtube, or reddit. You got all the answers to your inquiries. Nothing you said are new concerns. All you do is merely look and you see thousand comments about how cheap and plastic Mihawk's swords look. I watched some smith and metalwork youtubers, and even them can not make those gems on Mihawk's sword looks nice.

The length of One Piece is still very off putting to people. This is a good entry way. I could see a lot of little kid like what I was in the 90s, gonna love this live action. And may try watching the anime, which now feel outdated compare to the flashy Demonslayer Yaiba, JJK, and the likes.

I guess, I am old enough to put things in perspective. To know HOW GOOD we have it now. I barely have money to buy a comic on Thursday. I have to literally walk to a manga stand to buy. And now, people can read million of things at their fingertip and still complain about it. I have to watch a tv show (that is an adaption from a book) through a fence. With cgi that make you nausea nowadays. And that was joy to me. This One Piece live action had blow all expection out of the water. The One Piece fandom are not deaf and blind. They can see everything that you see. Many prior to this week, keep their expectation low. Because they desperately don't want to hate it. They want to enjoy it. They want to like it. They want the show to have at least season 2.

I don't think your post is about inquiries. Because you can get plenty of inquiries by listening, and looking, and reading comments. You merely want to share your opinion. And that is my thought on your opinion. I wrote this tv show off ages ago. I only start to get hopeful this month. I don't want pessimism thoughts to hijack now. Especially when Oda really care about this. When tv/movie adaption had historical trend of in conflict with their authors.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just signed up for Netflix for one month. Probably gonna watch Disenchanment final season, and Heartstopper season 2, and catching up on some of the older show. Hmm i can't pick One Piece yet, I gonna wait until the show come out to finish the transaction.

"select 3 you like.
This helps us to find TV shows and movies you’ll love. Select the ones you like."

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Soundtrack in Spotify. Because I'm impatient idiot, listened a couple songs. It's amazing! Buggys theme hits hard.

As for rating, I predict something like critics 72% and audience score initially 75% but will go up to 80% after the trolls are done and more people have watched.

Last edited:

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
First of Frantz, I don't even know why you lurking in this thread
What do you want ? I decided to ignore this LA
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It's unrealistic for anybody who enjoys the manga to have such an ungrounded hate for the LA
If we rely on those that have come out, it will end, I wouldn't say this

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
I am off today as I need to get operated this morning and should be back at home in the afternoon. Not thinking about surgery at all thanks to this but it’s still too hard to wait when you’re off

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
.................. So here's the thing:

This should've been a shameless cash grab with a deadbeat author that pawned it off like Kubo did with Bleach.

This is the polar opposite of that. The first episode at least is one of the best adaptations of basically any adaptation I've ever seen.

Oda's rewrites are all over it, and he and the rest of the staff seamlessly made a sense of pacing work that is like otherworldly efficient. Adding in non-canon stuff to the story that, some of which is so on-point that I already can barely tell it's not manga canon.