Games - One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Hi. Do you play PW4? What do you think about this game?

Regardless of your favorite characters, whose moveset is good/your favorite? What should have been done on some characters' movesets? As for your favorite characters, are you satisfied with their movesets?

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I still pop it in from time to time when the mood strikes me. Unfortunately, for manga/anime games, I often grow bored with them because they become "out of date" so to speak. I want to play as characters as they are in the manga after certain reveals. Implausible, I know, but I can't help it.

The characters I've put work into or played more than once are:
Luffy
Zoro
Sanji
Robin
Big Mom
Katakuri
Reiju
Kidd
Shanks
Crocodile
Hancock
Marco

Of these characters, Sanji, Reiju, Kidd, Big Mom, Crocodile, and Katakuri have movesets that vibe with me the most, from what I can recall. There may be others I'm forgetting.

Some characters really need to be improved Special Attacks as they don't work at all. For example, Sanji's Grill Shot's start up animation is too long(with enemy characters still moving around a bit) and the attack itself doesn't cover much of an area to be effective. Katakuri's Buzzcut Mochi is terrible all around. You turn into a Donut Wheel and barrel down towards your intended target, but you'll rarely grab Doflamingo who's chilling in the cut. No, he got pushed to the side slightly, so now your strongest attack is grabbing the nearby grunt with only a sliver of health left and finishing him off instead.

In terms of general movesets, Hancock's range seems rather limited compared to some other characters and her strong attacks have long wind-ups as well. When they land, they petrify her enemies, but taking damage while she's in the middle of doing them is no bueno. Her combos just need to flow together better and some of her animations could've been shortened. Salome, in particular, should've been used to wrangle opponents more. He has something like this in one of her combos, but again, the range is too short and he basically gathers opponents already in front of her. She just needs a general fix of combos and she'll be good.

Kidd is fun, but extremely limited, mainly due to his lack of feats when this game came out. He's strong but just doesn't have a deep pool of moves to change things up with. His specials are also pretty bad, with none of them being that strong or effective in a few situations. He has one good one which gathers nearby opponents to a metal cross and explodes them. The others aren't as effective. I think most of his issues will be fixed in the next game when he has a lot of new techniques to use and pull from.

I think I also had an issue with Marco being a bit too "slippery" as his attacks aren't as focused as other characters who fight like him. His combos have him moving all over the screen a bit too much.

Other than those issues, I was happy with everyone else's movesets.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Ah I see I see. I get what you felt...
I wish they added more characters like maybe Enel?

My faves are Smoker and Drake and I am satisfied with their movesets :nod it's just Drake's growls in his Allosaurus mode sound meh

McNuss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Terrible game in which I still invested a lot of time...

The problem is the game is a low effort transitional title.

They cut out a great chunk of previously developed characters despite keeping the same technology... likely just to bring them back in the next installment.

Due to the game trying to adapt Wano Arc, which did not exist past the first act when this game was developed, you get a gibberish filler storyline... and a half assed WCI arc. I would have rather played a fully fleshed out WCI which now will never be fully adapted, than this asscrap.

I really think they have their elementary school kids write the plot. And I think that's true for all anime/Manga games with original storylines. Else somehow the worst writers in the world all accumulate in this niche video game industry.

If someone needs a new job, here! Just poop on a toilette paper and send it in, you'll be hired as writer!

Sorry for the rant but these anime/Manga game plots are so embarrassing.

What's even more insulting is the treatment of female characters. There's several characters of all genders who only get a filler kit, Usopp too! But Nami...

She doesn't even have the Climate Tact she got on Zou (but somehow has Zeus). She has to run around in a bikini all the time, as if the character hasn't been changing outfits to something entirely different every single story arc for the past twenty (!!!!!!) years.

They also used to have Perona in previous games, who probably makes an interesting female character to play considering her powers. Not in this one. This game doesn't like female characters and really just has a handful to play, especially without DLC.

The amount of content is also very little. You'll play through everything within three days, then you can only level up the characters and that's it. Not very engaging.

Did I mention that Diamond Jozu uses a club to fight in this game? On lower difficulties, he will not even use his fruit powers, and when he does on higher rank, it uses the worst texture I have ever seen in a video game. Was a total jumpscare moment for me to have this filler gibber Jozu suddenly shout "Brilliant Punk" and actually do it. He also does not have Jozu's real body, just his face.
He is of course not playable, a quarter of the characters is not.

But they cut out Enel, Moria, Perona, etc etc etc and put this in the game???? Why just why....

-----

Still kinda enjoyed it as I like Dynasty Warriors games. But the other one that I played, Zelda Hyrule Warriors...

If you ever want to get something for your money, buy this game and DLC! Bought it shortly after release on Wii U, still haven't even remotely finished it to this day, and by that I don't mean leveling up all characters, that's something I can only dream of, I mean actual campaigns each with different gameplay mechanics!

And it's so easy to do with Warriors titles.

-----

I think the One Piece community should really be more aggressive in their demands for proper video games. It's sad that we only get cash grabs in this media. Dragon Ball's longevity is all thanks to the video game sector, which pretty much kept the franchise an international phenomenon between GT and Super.

One Piece has far greater potential.

Instead of fighters they should try Metroidvania, its an unfailible game concept and fits the Strawhats so well.
The Wii titles (Unlimited Cruise) were heading in this direction, also the best OP games ever done... They should have kept this!