Cover - One Piece Side-Stories Covers Coloring Project! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cover One Piece Side-Stories Covers Coloring Project!

Absolutio

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
We all know that there are (at the moment) 4 side stories in One Piece, that take place in the various chapters' covers. Thing is, that most of them are in a horrible condition (super LQ to LQ Edited Mangas). So I thought of making a project, of collecting all of the side stories, bunching them into one (each side story as it's own "special chapter"), and maybe even coloring them little by little.
So, if any of you guys have some raws of those old covers, or happen to have a good scan of those, please share!
In addition, if you happen to have an original volume in your homes (Published by VIZ for example, or your local manga publishers), it will be greatly appreciated if you could scan the side stories covers and share with us.
I'll leave to Imitorar editing this post with each side story's chapter range (e.g: Buggy side story: chapter 30-55). He's good at this stuffs.
This could really be awesome if it works out! Good luck!

List of side stories in One Piece at wikipedia.

[mod=Imitorar]Well, as asked, I will edit this post with the chapter ranges for the sidestories. I'd also like to comment that the scans for Wapol's sidestory and on are pretty good, as that's where Null picked up One Piece.

1. Buggy's Crew: After the Battle! (An Account of Buggy & Crew's Adventures: Chapters 35-75
  2. Koby and Helmeppo's Chronicle of Toil (A Diary of Koby-Meppo's Struggles: Chapters 83-119
  3. Django's Dance Paradise: Chapters 126-172 -Called by Mugiwara_no_Jack, open for helpers. (Volumes done: 1st)
  4. Hatchan's Sea-Floor Stroll: Chapters 182-228
  5. Wapol's Omnivorous Hurrah: Chapters 236-262 -Called by McFranky
  6. Ace's Great Blackbeard Search: Chapters 272-305 -Called by Absulutio, open for helpers.
  7. Gedatsu's Accidental Blue-Sea Life: Chapters 314-348
  8. Miss Goldenweek's "Operation: Meet Baroque Works: Chapters 359-413
  9. Where They are Now: Chapters 424-427
  10. Enel's Great Space Operations: Chapters 428-474
Titles and numbering taken from Wikipedia.[/mod]
<hr noshade size="1">
All hail Luckas! His great find:
http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemangav-2/coverstories.msnw
I'm going to start a project to color all of the side stories (well, that's the goal), after I finish my current coloring.
Anyone who wants to help is welcomed. If you don't know how to color, we'll guide you to a tutorial and you'll be able to join this. I really think it's a great opportunity for the OP community.
Note: Gonna post this thread also in the art section.
All hail Luckas! His great find:
http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemangav...erstories.msnw
I'm going to start a project to color all of the side stories (well, that's the goal), after I finish my current coloring.
Anyone who wants to help is welcomed. If you don't know how to color, we'll guide you to a tutorial and you'll be able to join this. I really think it's a great opportunity for the OP community.

Starting to upload some of the side-stories, archieved:
The Adventures of Buggy's crew
Coby and Helmeppo's Harsh Struggle

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
This seems like a great idea. So anyone can join in on this? You don't have to be a super colorist with extreme überskills or anything?

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Of course not! I'm not one of those myself.. :p
Anyways, I'm in the process of archieving all of the side stories. I think that we should soon decide on which side story to color first (I prefer doing them chronically), and then who gets which page, and general agreed colors to use for certain characters. And since not all of the pages are cleaned well, we could ask Mugiwara no Jack, if he's kind enough, to scan for us some of the bad-quality ones, when a colorist needs to color it.
I hope it will went great, coz it really has a great potential!

McFranky

Artist
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well good thing at starting this and I'd like to do the Wapol-Sidestory. I have useable Null-scans of that chapters so there should be no problem about that point.

But I have one thing to add, if someone starts a sidestory, he should end it, if 4 colorists color one sidestory it would end in a big crazy heap.
Btw. am I right that the results shall be posted in this thread?

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Yep. And maybe in an additional thread.
Well, if each one does a sidestory, then it won't be much of a "colorists' together work". Look at Zarosaki's releases. They turn out fine, and it's not like each of us colors a page of a chapter. We color covers, which can be completly different from each others. But still, good to know that you're in for that, McFranky.

McFranky

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah but compare us with zarosaki is a bit too much..

And I would consider it as a big op-colorists together-work if we are able to color everything, it's not important how this was done. But I like it as straight as possible so that there are no big differences in one sidestory, I offer me and my coloring skills for this project and would like to color Wapol's story first. If someone likes it to work on one story with other colorists it would be ok, too. But I won't
But that's just my opinion...

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
OK.. Agreed.. So McFranky called Wapol's side story.
I guess that our method will either be solo side-story work, or a group of colorists working on one side story. Depends on each colorist. Hope that the results will be great!

Digitalr

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
You could get the chapter covers from the raw volumes too:
example

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
yea, this is also great, as long as it's good quality scanned. If you have different sources, don't be afraid to contribute!

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Lurk has HQ RAWS hosted. They're alot better then using the cleanings that show up before Null, and adding the English text to the finished product should be fairly easy.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Yes, you're right. Do you mind giving me the links?
After I finish reading the whole manga (currently at chapter 160) I'll work on it at a serious rate!

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's on IRC. It's /msg [UR]DAN xdcc send #2881-/msg [UR]DAN xdcc send #2923. Just keep going up by one. That's from volume 4, where the Buggy sidestory starts, to volume 46, which is as far as Lurk has the tankobon RAWs. Enel's Great Space Operations ends in volume 48, which hasn't even been scanlated by Null yet, but every cover arc except that one is there in it's entirety. You can use Null's Edited Mangas for volume 47 and volume 48, I guess, or Lurk may put the RAWs for those two volumes up by the time you guys get up to Enel's Great Space Operations.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Lurk has HQ RAWS hosted. They're alot better then using the cleanings that show up before Null, and adding the English text to the finished product should be fairly easy.
Yes, you're right. Do you mind giving me the links?
After I finish reading the whole manga (currently at chapter 160) I'll work on it at a serious rate!
It's on IRC. It's /msg [UR]DAN xdcc send #2881-/msg [UR]DAN xdcc send #2923. Just keep going up by one. That's from volume 4, where the Buggy sidestory starts, to volume 46, which is as far as Lurk has the tankobon RAWs. Enel's Great Space Operations ends in volume 48, which hasn't even been scanlated by Null yet, but every cover arc except that one is there in it's entirety. You can use Null's Edited Mangas for volume 47 and volume 48, I guess, or Lurk may put the RAWs for those two volumes up by the time you guys get up to Enel's Great Space Operations.
Please guys stop, #lurk ask that raws hosted on their raws bot mustn't be used in Edited Mangas.
This is very important, so don't go on and don't use them until the permission to use them are given.

Last edited:

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Ok.. So for future usage, if someone wants to use lurk's raw, ask for their permission first.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Mugiwara_no_Jack has already started with the 1st volume of Jango's side-story. I announce this project as an officialy running project! Good luck everyone! (Note: Updated first post).

Waeyen

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Germany
yo
I will try Enels Cover Story :amuse

but I am not a professional

I`s that OK?

Mugiwara_no_Jack

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany
it ok

maybe coloring the moon in the next ones you are gonna to color a little more lighter than this cheesy yellow ;)

but it's good :)

Waeyen

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Mugiwara_no_Jack

Artist
Reaction score
Country