Semifinal - One Piece vs. Gintama | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal One Piece vs. Gintama

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Gintama

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

One Piece
Eiichiro Oda

-

Gintama
Hideaki Sorachi

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I'm annoyed that a manga that I didn't read arrived that far. :/

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Like in the previous One Piece match I am not sure which one I like more...

I'm annoyed that a manga that I didn't read arrived that far. :/
You should try the anime, there are several seasons and one ongoing.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I vote Gintama.

Both are great series, and really funny, but One Piece is much more inconsistent and most of it's characters aren't nearly as deep. Gintama is just a constant display of mad brilliance.

Battou

⎲⎳
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
@Erinyes Going to betray gintama yet another time ? or are you voting for it this time :worrybunny

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I keep intending to check out Gintama, again and again, but I never seem to do it. Not really sure why. It means though, I have no experience with it, and lots of experience with One Piece.

I guess, my uninformed single vote will swing the balance over to One Piece forever! Ha ha ha ha... or should I laugh, Shi shi shi shi.... :XD

Gryffindor

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
The Gintama Campaign(Posts from previous rounds)
[post=4620821] Post #1: Overview[/post]
[post=4621773] Post #2: Mini Campaign Comic #1[/post]
[post=4625502] Post #3: Character Groups V.1[/post]
[post=4629966] Post #4: Elements of Gintama[/post]
[post=4631007] Post #5: Character Interactions V.1[/post]
[post=4632247] Post #6: Mini Campaign Comic #2[/post]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, whether you follow Gintama or not, the point has been driven home about the gags, parodies, and overall comedic value that Gintama brings to the table. Admittedly some of the comedy is not for everyone, it does have its fair share of crude humor, but rest assured that this isn't the only type of comedy it offers. Thankfully it masterfully delivers comedy across the entire spectrum. It makes fun of tropes, pop culture, popular media, and it places its cast in some extraordinarily written situations that can be so simplistic on the surface or creatively unique and deliver on the laughs and giggles.

And that's just scratching the surface. There is more. So much more.

That's all well and good, but there is one misconception that needs to be cleared up. The gags, the parodies, etc., is Gintama all of that? Yes it is. Is it only that? Absolutely not. Gintama can get serious, it can get dramatic, it can get intense, and it can be emotionally gripping. And when it does, it delivers a masterful execution that leaves you wondering how a series is capable of putting you through an emotional rollercoaster. It happens quick, one moment you're laughing and the other moment the heartstrings are being pulled. Gintama makes a habit out of making mundane phrases carry deep emotional weight, things like:

"Your tea is still sour"

"I was finally able to send an email"

"It's spicy"

Nothing spectacular, right? Think again. Gintama manages to evoke a strong emotional response when one knows the context behind these phrases.

*Blacked out for some spoilers

The only image I've repeated in this entire campaign. Just my bias for this masterpiece. :zomg:hip

You're probably wondering what's so special about Gintama. There are plenty of series that employ comedy or employ intense dramatic action, or take you on a feels trip. The difference is simple. It's because of the characters. Switch the characters in the situations the Gintama cast finds themselvss in and the effect wouldn't be the same. The characters have each been given unique personalities that are fully fleshed out and its these personalites along with their tendencies that help execute the story the way it's designed to be. Gintoki as an MC is different from his shonen counterparts, he isn't chasing some goal, he doesn't use timeskips to train and get stronger, he doesn't need to lose to learn a lesson, and more importantly he carries a huge burden that will bring his character full circle. That doesn't apply only to him though, each character has been given depth and they have an end in sight that will bring their character full circle as well.

It doesn't have some crazy quest, the characters don't have superpowers, they're not the chosen ones or whatever other trope there is, they're human and thus relatable, even the Amanto(aliens) are relatable, and its the shenanigans, the tears, the sweat, the drama, the feuds, the struggle, and the journey that make these characters second to none, and thus the series as well. Of course, no series is perfect and with everything good there is some bad, there are flaws, but the pros outweigh the cons enough to make Gintama deserving of your vote.

Vote Gintama!

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Going with Gintama once again.

Such fun and frolic attracts me.

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Funny thing, did you know guys that Sorachi and Oda don't like themselves pretty much??

Oda:
Congratulations for Great Gintama Exhibition!!

I don't care about the parodies of ONE PIECE in Gintama. I appreciate it. What bothers me is this collaboration autograph.
I have been asked many times to draw collaboration autographs for many mangas, but I totally can't imagine a scene such as Gin-san and Luffy putting their arms around their shoulders.
I'd like to decline this collaboration offer.

This is the first time for ONE PIECE to decline a collaboration with other mangas. (Oda says in this autograph, "I decline this collaboration.""コラボ拒否")

That being said, Sorachi-san, Gintama's author, is a mangaka whom I can respect since he works with his manga so seriously.
I can respect him despite him having started his career as a mangaka later than me.

I'd like to praise him more, but I don't do it today since too much praise from me might be an interference with his work. I respect you.

Sorachi:
Oda-sensei is just like Luffy. He is at his full speed to become Pirate King in the ocean named Weekly Shonen Jump.
I thought Oda-sensei doesn't care about me at all since I'm just a fodder pirate who makes a living from fishing in a corner of East Blue using the tip of my dick as a fishing rod.

I'm shocked to see Oda-sensei mentioned words such as Gintama and Sorachi. On top of that, he is familiar with how to handle Gintama.
I feel as if Oda-sensei has eaten fish I caught with me, saying, "I'm hungry!"
I'd like to say, "Is it really OK? I caught this fish via my dick..."

This Oda-sensei's autograph and his words are more precious treasures than ONE PIECE (as a great treasure) for me. Thank you so much.
source: Credits: Sandman_AP

This is truly a warfire coming from even their creators!!
I'm supporting the one with the perfect worldbuilding and with the best character ever created in it O0

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Okay, here we are. The semi finals.

I have a great admiration for both of these manga so I implore everyone to read what has been said about both series. I know I may be losing votes by saying this but insta-voting at this stage is just not doing either of these series justice.
Read Gryffindor’s previous posts that he listed above. Read mine and @Zirconium ’s posts from last round (and nevermind the parts about One Punch Man).

Mine:
And if you’re all about the boobs then I sold my soul to please you.

Zirconium’s:

I doubt I’ll have time (or access to a computer) to make more big posts like that but you never know.

Thank you. May the (subjectively) best manga win.

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I am voting for OP, since I actually read the series.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Gonna go with Gintama here ç.ç Like FMA vs Nana, Gintama defeated my RK T.T
Since I barely followed One Piece and idk Gintama, I'm also assuming I'd enjoy Gintama more based on what I "know" and read about the series.
Super shallow vote but it is what it is when you lack knowledge.

Anti Hero 3:16

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not going to be party pooper, but I kind of wanted OP vs Naruto dream matchup. Since these those 2 are most popular read mangas worldwide. It would be fun to see that.

As for this match I would go with OP for luffy. He is quite a character.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I am surprised that Gintama made it past Naruto, but I think this is where it stops.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They both have great stories but One Piece's art is worse.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would just like to remind everyone that a vote against Gintama is a vote against Tsukuyo. And just the thought of someone doing that...

To vote against an awesome supremely bad ass character who...​

..also can max out the Moe meter without even trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.