Voting Round 1 - One Piece vs. Monster | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 One Piece vs. Monster

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Monster

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

One Piece
Eiichiro Oda

-

Monster
Naoki Urasawa

Rules

- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Last edited by a moderator:

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really should finish Monster one day.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
When I saw the match ups, this is the one I thought most about.

Do I go with the longest running series I've read, with a great adventure? Guys like Zoro who is one of my favourites??
Or, do I go with the best thriller/page-turner manga I've seen? It's completed too - with a great final arc (Ruhenheim)??

Votelock Monster.

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India

Do I go with the longest running series I've read, with a great adventure? Guys like Zoro who is one of my favourites??
Or, do I go with the best thriller/page-turner manga I've seen? It's completed too - with a great final arc (Ruhenheim)??

Votelock Monster.
+

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Votelock Monster.

For me it's also no-brainer OP have my respect that it probably the only Long Running series that keep let's say it's decent level but as you said Don my " Deer " for me Also Monster is the same as for you so Voted Monster..

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm among the people who think Monster is overrated, sorry. I'm not exactly a big One Piece fan, but still one has to respect what it has accomplished and in the end almost every arc manages to drive me in at some point.

Monster has Johann + Steiner and some really great moments, but I feel like it dragged too much at times.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Neutral for now but I feel like I could vote for Monster just for Johan :heh.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
OP is a Manga juggernaut and has interesting ideas about piracy, but Monster is a great Psychological thriller that puts Dexter to shame. My vote is for Monster.

The President

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Monster, easily. The plot is amongst the finest manga as a whole has to offer (and to that end I recommend 20CB and Billy Bat, two other works of the same author) and the characters are really something else. Probably the best ending I've seen in manga, and one of the best final arcs I've seen in manga. Its a series that really makes you think, its not called a classic and masterpiece for no reason afterall.

As for the argument that Monster drags. At some points it does drag, but all for the sake of the payoff which is grand and its most certainly not the pointless dragging that OP finds itself doing almost every arc as to prolong the story. Everything in Monster has a purpose.

Monster gets my vote. Urasawa is a god.

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Before clicking I thought that was Monsters (Oda's one-shot), made me hesitate for 5 seconds. x)

Anyways, this is a hard choice. I'm going to go for Monster because of Magnificent Steiner!

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
One Piece does a lot of things really well and I love the current arc. But Monster is one of my all-time favorite manga/anime, it does everything so well and uses every bit of time and space it has for a reason, either to define characters/situations or to setup things in the future. I could imagine a lot of things that could be improved in One Piece, but I don't see anything in Monster I'd change.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm voting One Piece.

When it comes to shounen adventure series. One Piece is properly rated as one of the best. It's Water 7 and Ennes Lobby arcs along with it's War arc are among the most ambitious and best ever written in the genre. I tend to think it has more flaws than people tend to acknowledge with arcs and characters that just aren't very good but in terms of scale and originality I have to vote for One Piece. I don't think any series has personified a child's adventure fantasy as well as it has.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Can't vote for this, love them both it's like asking me choosing between a strawberry eclair and some pecan haagen dasz !! but i don't want to choose, want them all !!

vs

Go with whatever the Eclair represents because if it's Ice Cream and it's not a hot fudge sundae. It's wasting its potential.

Last edited:

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
>Lalalala~ *thinks just to peek at the carnage that One Piece is making*
>Enters, sees a super delicious strawberry flavored and decorated éclair from @Erinyes *such luck!!! to be at France ;(*
>Sees that Monster is literally putting One Piece at the corner of the stage °o°

Oi oi oiii!! this war for sure is unpredictable...
Gotta vote for One Piece because it has this moment:

From Monster, you will never see such image, because Johan is just too far to do it, like... always :B

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
One Piece
Art: 3/15
Story: 13.5/15
Characters: 8/10 (side ones are better)
Fights/Conflicts: 3.5/5
Enjoyability: 3.75/5

Monster (I haven't read it but going off various Google sites)
Art: 13/15

The rest seems it could be the same

Monster wins by artwork.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Okay I wouldn't be a good sport if I didn't share some One Piece pics with this set :)

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Okay I wouldn't be a good sport if I didn't share some One Piece pics with this set :)

YOOO that Zoro one and the Mihawk/Shanks ones look amazing. Its a shame the art isnt actually like that in One Piece.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Since I nominated it, I feel like I should probably try to gather some votes for One Piece, huh? But I'm on an extremely slow hotel WiFi, on my phone...

And it doesn't actually help that Monster is one of the best manga I've ever read. One Piece is "my manga" because I've followed it for half my lifetime, and I love it, but I'll be pretty happy whoever wins this one tbh.

I might make a case for One Piece once I get back to my own country and internet connection though, since Monster seems to be in people's favor atm and there should at least be some competition here.

Status
Not open for further replies.