Third Round - One Piece vs. Rave | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Third Round One Piece vs. Rave

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Rave

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

revo

The Witch of Certainty
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

One Piece
Eiichiro Oda
Rave
Hiro Mashima

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I guess this is as far as i go with Rave. All good things must end right.

God dammit Sky :darn
This is my third time in Manga Wars and for the third time One Piece is in my part of the bracket, and for the second time its waiting in the third round to stomp me ....

Also is it my luck that first i had to face my fav manga, and now i have to face OP which is my second fav manga and fav shonen ...

:xp

Like with Berserk, One Piece is among my fav manga. I own almost all the manga volumes, and ive been following One Piece since freaking 2003, RTL 2 german channel everyday after school, so when i was about 10 years old, and now im 27, fuck im old.
So obviously OP is extremely dear to my heart and like Berserk it will never be beaten or dethroned from its rightful place as one of the 2 fav manga series ive read/still reading. With Berserk i had a bit of luck, and it was a battle of two completely different manga series, while now with One Piece its basically a battle between two very very similar manga series, but with OP being more expansive than Rave in almost all fields. Should be interesting to see the result of this battle :amuse

I still have a little bit of juice left with Rave, I'll post something by the end of this day.

STAY TUNED

Last edited:

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'm sorry but I agree too much with your paragraph about how great OP and Berserk are.
Would have supported Rave against other shonens like Naruto, though. It's a great adventure.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cool, I'll post something either tonight or tomorrow.

In all reality @Valhalla777 Rave seems like such a wonderful manga that would make Fairy Tail and Edens Zero look like children.

Definitely going to pick it up.

Tatsumaki

Reaction score
Country
France
I'll support One Piece no matter the opponent (even my other faves) but this war's campaigns got me interested into more mangas and Rave is definitly one of them :nod I'll give it a read as soon as I can ! :tata3

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Last hurrah before the fall :amuse

Everyone always compared Fairy Tail to One Piece, ignoring that Rave is actually far more similar to One Piece than Fairy Tail ever was. After rereading Rave for 4 times in the last 10 years, i am of the strong opinion that Rave Master is basically a vastly shortened version of One Piece. The characters, the world building, the journey, the mystery, the emotions and feels, the devil fruits aka Dark Brings, and more, a good portion of what makes One Piece great, Rave has it as well but in a more compact and shortened version. I dont know how this helps my case, but i still wanted to point that out. Rave manages to accomplish everything i mentioned in almost 300 chapters and with really great quality. A fulfilling journey, across the world, there and back again, with lots of interesting characters, side characters and villains included, great moments ranging from funny, goofy, epic, shocking, emotional and tear-jerking. Sure there are those Mashima-esk bs moments and stinkers, but it aint that bad trust me, besides all great manga series need stinkers. Even One Piece :xp

Still One Piece is One Piece. I have honestly nothing at my disposal to really fight it. So just one last campaign to show the finishing touches of Rave.

Many are saying that Rave Master is dark, more serious than Mashima's other works, dark this and dark that, dark, all that stuff, and i agree but not completely. Its not really as dark as people might think. While it is darker than FT and EZ at times, its also more goofier than FT and EZ at times and more dumb. There are times where its pretty serious and F-ed up, and there are times when its hilarious and absolutely goofy. Its quite an interesting mix of tones, it might be weird but it works. What Rave does good is that it hits the right tones when it needs. Its super serious when it needs to be serious, its really dark when its needs to be dark, its goofy and funny when the when the moment calls for it, and the fanservice is done in a good manner and with some care so that it doesnt get you out of more important moments (a serious moment for example), something that Mashima kinda forgot how to do properly in the second part of Fairy Tail and in Edens Zero from what ive seen.

The only factor in Rave that can sometimes get you out of moments is the use of Plue. At certain times, mostly in part 1 of Rave, Plue is used in combat from time to time. Because of his hilarious design and the way he is utilized (also in a hilarious way), it kinda makes some moments that need to be super serious feel a bit awkward and goofy. The use of Plue diminishes as the story progresses so its nothing really serious and you kinda get used to it.

MOMENTS
Just a few pics as examples, but open at your own risk since there are spoilers

My fav funny moment in all of Mashima's work. This moment is legendary.

The Vivi moment of Rave

THE ROMANCE

Ah yes, I guess one thing that One Piece doesnt have that much is romance and relationships, which is understandable since the author himself said OP wont be very romance focused. Rave has some really good romance. Very touching and believable relationships that really grow. While romance and shipping isnt really my forte, like at all, but i can appreciate good romances when i see them. In my humble and honest opinion, Haru and Elie alone blow the FT ships out of the water.

.... once again for the end ... a bit cheap doing this again, but oh well

THIS IS THE ENTIRE STORY OF RAVE

THIS IS A BIG BIG WARNING. GO THROUGH THIS ONLY IF YOU HAVE READ RAVE MASTER OR YOU JUST REALLY DON'T CARE, or you care but still want to see...

STRAP IN AND ENJOY, ARC BY ARC. THEY SAY A PICTURE SAYS A 1000 WORDS ....

Ill borrow Fairy Tail ending song that works well as a slide show for arcs

Last edited:

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In all fairness, @Valhalla777 has probably written the best campaigns.

So this could be my last post but I'll only focus on Haki in this one:

Haki is a mysterious and spiritual power than a lot of people have throughout the OP world. This power can be seen as a counter to devil fruits and when combined with devil fruits can cause calamities.

Some people assume that on order to be the strongest character, you need to have a DF power and I can understand why. Most of the top tiers have a DF in their arsenal.

This however is completely wrong as some of the strongest characters (Garp, Roger, Shanks, Mihawk, Beckmann, etc) don't have one. :tashigi

So there are 3 types of Haki:

1) Kenbonshoku (Observation) haki. This allows the user to essentially have 6th sense. They can feel others' presence and strength. There is an advanced version of this that even allows the user to see into the future for a short period.

2) Busoshoku (Armament) haki: This allows the user to basically use their spiritual energy to convert it into a hard substance that makes the attacks much more powerful. It is seen as a black coating around the points of attacks like fist or leg. Now to be honest, I really don't understand the advanced version of this haki so if anyone (@thedude @Moegara) wants to help me out.... Please do:wtf
Important to note is that this haki is needed to fight logia users as it allows the character to bypass their elements bodies.

3) Haoshoku (Conquerors) haki: This basically allows the user completely overpower the will of another resulting in the opponent getting knocked unconscious for period of time or making the opponent obey the commands of the other.. This specific type ks the most rare in only 1/1000000 people use it:luffy
It was the first kind of Haki to be shown when Shanks used it to scare the sea monster from eating Luffy.

And that's it for me folks..... Here's hoping to another chance to defend OP. :fiesta

P. S: We really need a Shanks or Mihawk sticker @revo:gtfo

Last edited:

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
@Valhalla777 's graphic design skills are top tier and specially the way he presented Rave's story arcs is beautiful, but... One Piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.