Awards - Oscars Contest 2020 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Awards Oscars Contest 2020

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Thank you all for participating in this event! This was a record year of participants and I'm glad about that! Thanks for the production and marketing team of Joker for such an excellent poster to use as banner material to lure curious people in!

But now for the most important part - winners!

On shared 3rd place (16 points) - @xi0 and @FaustXIII. Congratulations on good effort!

On shared 2nd place (18 points) - the formidable film lover @Eigengrau and none other than the mysterious legend himself @George Monkey. Again so close! Maybe next year is the year of this DiCaprio of MH. Congratulations for both for the extremely even and valiant fight for the throne.

*drumroll*

And on 1st place (18 points) - with the tie-breaker advantage from the Big 5, the many time nominee and second time winner -
Congratulations to my Swedish-dupe account @Organizized

Disclaimer: I did the counting in a very tired state. If you spot any mistakes, let me know! The badge will be awarded later this month.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

How to Play:

- Go HERE and make your picks

Rules:
  • The user with the most correct guesses wins the award
  • Remember to leave your Mangahelpers username in the poll
    • No valid name, no win
  • Only 1 entry allowed
    • In case an user does multiple entries, only the last one counts
  • In case of a tie, the user with most corrects in the "Big 5" Categories wins
    • Best Film, Director, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and both Screenplay categories
    • If still a tie, then I am sure we will be able to think of some way to trick the system to make our friends win break any ties
Schedule:
  • Deadline for votes is:
    • February 10th 1 AM GMT / February 9th 8 PM EST / February 9th 5 PM PST
    • ^ That is the exact moment the gala begins
The Fun:
  • The winner is awarded their very own Oscar. As a badge.
    • Badges are displayed in user profiles
  • You are allowed to discuss your picks and personal favourites in the thread
    • Telling us why you voted how you voted is highly importantnecessaryobligatory recommended

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come to defend my crown. :wowsoBOB

I do feel like I've not watched enough of 2019's list; less so than I did last year. So I'll be doing that in the next few days before nominating. I guess for now....just sub.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Idk if I seen 10 movies of last year.

I didn't like Joker, but the banner is sick. Would be fine with Phoenix winning too.

Can't let Brandish be the only one to do so
Hurry up and post your thoughts about who you want/will win, so then I can make some minor changes, and win this thing :heh

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

I made slight mistake yesterday night, and the answers sheet was disconnected from the poll for a short time and I might have accidentally deleted answers. (Got mixed with my testing files and the actual ones)

Here's a list of participants this far, check if you are on it! Now is also a good chance to check if you inputted a proper username. We already have one "non-user" on the list.

If you sent a reply and are not on the list, I'm sorry! Please send again. Sorry for the inconvenience

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hurry up and post your thoughts about who you want/will win, so then I can make some minor changes, and win this thing :heh

I'll do so after the ceremony starts this year. :hmph

Won't submit my guesses until I've watched more of the films though. And have seen the results from other awards shows.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
It's funny, everyone keeps debating over whether Joaquin Phoenix or Adam Driver should win Best Actor... I haven't seen Marriage Story yet, but honestly I can't decide who I liked more out of Phoenix and DiCaprio. It's two very different roles but I think Leo did a spectacular job creating a very layered performance, and "acting out acting" is one of those things which is very rarely done this well.

On the other hand, Pitt delivered a good performance, yet nothing out of the ordinary, and yet he keeps winning awards for it. Honestly, I'm not sure I think the film should win anything it's nom'd for except possibly Best Actor and maybe Production Design. It definitely deserves the nominations, but not to win.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Phoenix will win it though.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I must agree, that actor/actress has really reached a certain level of excellence when they can go as "meta" as Leo in Once Upon. Sure Tarantinos direction is also to credit, but when you can pull of fine acting, scene stealing brilliant acting, melodramatic overacting and hammy B-film action star action acting from a cue, you are no doubt doing god damn well.

Still think though Phoenix gonna win and for good reasons.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Going with my hunch that this year will be Tarantino's 2007.

Wouldn't be more happy that I'm wrong if Parasite and Bong Joon-ho actually wins Best Picture and Best Director respectively.

It's the Oscars who knows what's gonna happen. (Green Book winning Best Picture is a fucking joke. Olivia Colman winning Best Actress is a pleasant surprise.)

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Here's my summary for the major categories:

Best Picture
Most likely to win: 1917
What movie should win IMO: Parasite
My prediction: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (hunch)
Dark horse: Joker
Seen: 67% of the 9 nominees (Haven't seen 1917, The Irishman and Ford v Ferrari)

1917's release date is freakin' brilliant. War movies are always overappreciated at the Oscars overall.

Best Director
Most likely to win: Sam Mendes (1-time winner: American Beauty that means he's still undefeated LOL when he's nominated)
Who should win IMO: Bong Joon-ho (1st time nominee)
My prediction: Quentin Tarantino (hunch) (3-time nominee including this year)
Dark horse: Todd Phillips (nominated for Borat for Best Adapted Screenplay in 2007 lol)
Seen: 3/5

Best Actress
Most likely to win: Renée Zellweger (I've seen the film recently and she actually freakin' killed it)
Who should win IMO: Renée Zellweger
My prediction: Renée Zellweger
Dark horse: Charlize Theron
Seen: 3.33/5 I've seen the first act of Bombshell yesterday. Haven't seen Harriet.

4-time nominee and she actually won an Oscar before so the Academy voters like her.
Biopics are really popular at the Oscars (Just last year Rami Malek's Freddie Mercury and Olivia Colman's Queen Anne both won.)

Best Actor
Most likely to win: Joaquin Phoenix
Who should win IMO: Adam Driver
My prediction: Joaquin Phoenix
Dark horse: Leonardo DiCaprio
Seen: 3/5 (Haven't seen Pain and Glory and The Two Popes)

As much I want both of them to win. There's only 6 instances that there's a tie in the Oscars. In my opinion Adam Driver delivered the better performance. Joaquin Phoenix is the heavy favorite to win and he has the momentum.

Leo winning his 2nd best actor award will be a great upset.

Best Supporting Actress
Most likely to win: Laura Dern
Who should win IMO: Scarlett Johansson
My prediction: Laura Dern
Dark horse: Florene Pugh
Seen: 3.333/5 I've seen the first act of Bombshell yesterday. Haven't watched Richard Jewell

Laura Dern's performance is very good but Scarlett's Johansson's multi-leveled performance in Jojo really got me.
ScarJo's first Oscar win. Who don't wanna see that?
Laura Dern's momentum is quite hard to topple.
Florence Pugh winning an Oscar in her breakout year will be freakin' awesome as well second to ScarJo winning.

Best Supporting Actor
Most likely to win: Brad Pitt
Who should win IMO: Maybe Brad Pitt lol?
My prediction: Brad Pitt
Dark horse: Tom Hanks
Seen: 1/5

De Niro not being a nominated as Best Actor is indicative that The Irishman/Scorsese and co. is not favored in the Oscars this year.
Tom Hanks is the John Cena. Daniel Day-Lewis is The Undertaker. What a terrible comparison LUL.

All the other nominees already received an Oscar for acting.

Brad Pitt haven't won one. He got an Oscar for 12 Years A Slave though as a producer.

Imagine Brad Pitt saying "I beat Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hanks." :lmao

Last edited:

oddsend

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I'm okay if Parasite won't be able to win Best Picture because I think it's more fitting to win Best Director. The level of attention to details on Parasite is truly impeccable and at its peak. I'm clearly okay with either Joaquin Phoenix or Adam Driver winning Best Actor. For Best Actress definitely Renée Zellweger so it's good that Scarlett Johansson is nominated for Best Supporting Actress so there's still a shot.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeee that banner is sick! Hopefully it's a good omen for Joker :heh
Crazy that it got 11 nominations, the most nominated film of the year.
That alone is more than enough bragging rights, though that also means that it can also be the one to go home most empty-handed, but it's for sure going to win a couple at the very least.

It's funny, everyone keeps debating over whether Joaquin Phoenix or Adam Driver should win Best Actor... I haven't seen Marriage Story yet, but honestly I can't decide who I liked more out of Phoenix and DiCaprio. It's two very different roles but I think Leo did a spectacular job creating a very layered performance, and "acting out acting" is one of those things which is very rarely done this well.
It's just my opinion, but I sincerely don't see anything special in regards to DiCaprio's role, or even "... Hollywood" as a whole.
There's little to no story, you barely spend time with either character, boom time-skip, they become "victims" of external circumstances (Manson shenanigans) and then the movie just ends.

I feel like there was little to 0 zero character development at all. And now you could say that it's intentional because DiCaprio is meant to be this actor who's already reached the bottom and has nowhere else to go, but still.

I'm fine with Pitt getting the awards because he was funny and there was a little more to his character, but still.

I sincerely don't see how it could get this many nominations, especially in all those important categories. I get it, it's Tarantino, we know he can direct movies, but something tells me that at this stage they only nominate him "because it's Tarantino and it would be wrong to not nominate him", and because his film is, well, all about jerking it to Hollywood, which probably a lot of the older guys at the Academy enjoyed.

I think that really sucks, but again, that's just me and how I feel about it.
Besides Supporting Actor and some of the technical categories, like Production and Costume Design, I don't think it deserves anything.
Like, "Best Original Screenplay", fucking really? When it has 0 story...?
Even Knives Out is more deserving of the win :hmph .

It's really going to suck if they give most of the awards to Tarantino when it's the least deserving film (in my opinion) in many if not all categories.

On the other hand, Pitt delivered a good performance, yet nothing out of the ordinary, and yet he keeps winning awards for it.
Could also be because of Ad Astra, and how he's putting himself out there. Hollywood also really loves him (just look at how they welcomed him when he won the Golden Globe) so there's that as well.

I think the Supporting Actor category is also a little problematic this year:

- you have Pacino and Pesci for The Irishman (haven't seen it, won't see it): do they deserve the Oscar? I don't know, but giving either of them the win would kinda feel like "eh, they're old and they won't be around much longer, so let's just give it to them", especially when Pesci has pretty much quit acting, I think. Maybe that's dumb reasoning, but beyond that -> Netflix, which I feel is still an insurmountable barrier;

- Anthony Hopkins... meh?

- Tom Hanks... kinda surprised that his film didn't revolve around him, never expected the Mr. Rogers character to be considered "supporting".

So yeah, to me it just seems natural to pick Brad Pitt, the Hollywood sweetheart. Easy choice, I think.

Going with my hunch that this year will be Tarantino's 2007.

Wouldn't be more happy that I'm wrong if Parasite and Bong Joon-ho actually wins Best Picture and Best Director respectively.

Jesus Christ no, I hope you're wrong about Tarantino.

It would be awesome if Parasite won. Both Parasite and Joker dealt with "1%" themes, poor/rich, etc... timely themes, is what I mean.
I'm fine with Joker not winning Best Picture/Director, and it probably won't, but it would be a monumental and historical step if they gave the win to Parasite.

However, I fear that they will end up picking Tarantino because, as I said above, it's Hollywood basically jerking themselves.
Plus, their reasoning might be:

"Parasite is going to win Best Foreign Film, also we gave it like 6 nominations so that's more than enough, especially for a South Korean film."

They might think that and pat themselves on the back.

But hey, as long as Tarantino/Hollywood doesn't win any of the big ones, I don't care who wins. Also don't care for The Irishman, but because "Netflix", I don't think it's a real contender.

So Joker, Parasite, 1917, any is fine with me I guess.
I would prefer if they went with 1917 over Hollywood, personally, if they don't want to give it to Parasite/Joker.

Now that I think about it, the fact that Joker earned 11 nominations could hint at the fact that it really surprised the voters, and that a lot of people loved it.

I don't expect it to triumph at the Oscars and sweep it all, though that would be pretty dope.

Laura Dern's performance is very good but I think Scarlett's Johansson's multi-leveled performance in Jojo really got me.
ScarJo's first Oscar win. Who don't wanna see that?
Laura Dern's momentum is quite hard to topple.
I haven't seen Jojo yet, but I should see it before the Oscars.

Do you think ScarJo deserves to win in Best Supporting Actress over Best Leading Actress, for "Marriage Story"? I thought she was pretty good in that, and I'd rather see her win for Leading instead of Supporting.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I haven't seen Jojo yet, but I should see it before the Oscars.

Do you think ScarJo deserves to win in Best Supporting Actress over Best Leading Actress, for "Marriage Story"? I thought she was pretty good in that, and I'd rather see her win for Leading instead of Supporting.
Have you seen Judy?

Zellweger hands down should win Best Actress in my opinion.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Ustegius' Stat Teasers Part 1:

According to MH users this far, the most even category is that of Sound Mixing

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Have you seen Judy?

Zellweger hands down should win Best Actress in my opinion.
Have not, will not.
It just isn't my kind of thing, pretty much the same reason why I haven't seen the likes of Bohemian Rhapsody or Rocketman, I have absolutely 0 interest in seeing musical biopics of artists I don't like/don't listen to, they simply don't mean anything to me and there's not a single element that draws me in.

So yeah, I haven't seen it, but I don't know, Adam Driver and ScarJo's performances were very human and "everyday normal", and to me that's 100x times more believable and relatable than seeing someone portray a famous person, but that's just me.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
After almost 25 years, a film from my country is nominated! Show your love for Honeyland guys, the bee documentary movie.

I have not seen it yet, but based on some things I heard 1917 might pick up these: cinematography, director, picture. It just has that Oscar favorite feel to it. Although I'd prefer to see Parasite win Best Picture as a total surprise.

Obvious for me would be:

Original Screenplay: Tarantino
Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think I have found the Oscar's pattern although I am still stumped. :headscratch I mean, they did have Mad Max win all those Oscars....

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I think I have found the Oscar's pattern although I am still stumped. :headscratch I mean, they did have Mad Max win all those Oscars....
It was goddamn brilliant action-chase film about environmentalism and feminism though. Well deserved.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It was goddamn brilliant action-chase film about environmentalism and feminism though. Well deserved.
It was basically a road trip version of The Handmaids Tale. :notrust