Seinen - "Oshi no Ko" by Akasaka, Aka and Yokoyari, Mengo | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen "Oshi no Ko" by Akasaka, Aka and Yokoyari, Mengo

Favorite Volume Covers (Pick 3)

• Vol. 1

• Vol. 2

• Vol. 3

• Vol. 4

• Vol. 5

• Vol. 6

• Vol. 7

• Vol. 8

• Vol. 9

• Vol. 10

• Vol. 11

• Vol. 12

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've come around to Ruby cast as Ai. Even tho it should be Akane on ability and portrayal, it's a good opportunity for Ruby's characterization. Ruby idolized Ai and has her on a pedestal, she needs to see her mother through different lens and the whole truth of who Ai was.

This edgy Aqua stuff is very cringe to read honestly. We knew he was always hellbent on revenge, but I feel like Aka has made his personality Sasuke 2.0. What's annoying me is there hasn't even been any trigger for this sudden new version of him, it just showed up out of nowhere.
Eh, I think Aqua has been great since he talked with Saitou (chap 93ish). Unless, you're specifically just pointing to the end of the chapter, which is unlike of him. It acutally makes me think of when his star first went black at the end of the prologue. The only trigger would be his revenge plan is finally close to the goal line.

Sasuke 2.0.
:pls Don't need that energy. Aqua's always been a better Kurapika.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Eh, I think Aqua has been great since he talked with Saitou (chap 93ish). Unless, you're specifically just pointing to the end of the chapter, which is unlike of him. It acutally makes me think of when his star first went black at the end of the prologue. The only trigger would be his revenge plan is finally close to the goal line.
Its how he's being written as this person who doesn't care about his friends/family anymore. Even Akane said this chapter that Aqua is too far gone off the deep end, and I'm like, wat :-_-
The annoying thing is that his characterization is all over the place. We see him care about Kana, to the point of exposing his biggest secret to save her career. But then we go back to this chapter where he....doesn't care about anyone at all. Feels like Aka isn't sure where he wants to take his character currently.

:pls Don't need that energy. Aqua's always been a better Kurapika.
Aqua intends on taking down the idol world with his hatred though :kukuku

That is his idol way.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its how he's being written as this person who doesn't care about his friends/family anymore. Even Akane said this chapter that Aqua is too far gone off the deep end, and I'm like, wat :-_-
The annoying thing is that his characterization is all over the place. We see him care about Kana, to the point of exposing his biggest secret to save her career. But then we go back to this chapter where he....doesn't care about anyone at all. Feels like Aka isn't sure where he wants to take his character currently.
So, what you're basically saying is Aqua cares for Kana the most. ;)

That aside, I don't see any inconsistencies tho? He does care, as shown through direct encounters with Akane(breakup chap), Kana, and Ruby(end of chap 106). For his revenge and how he'd go about it, his preference would be for none of them to be involved and push them away for protection, which is what Akane was alluding to. That was his plan as he said this chap, but Akane became involved anyway and Ruby about to be cast. Push comes to shove, revenge takes priority.

PS: This is actually an interesting turn for Akane, even if her death flag is still waving.

Aqua intends on taking down the idol world with his hatred though :kukuku

That is his idol way.

undefined
No heart react for Sasuke stitch :p
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Sales:

April 24-30

All of April

--- Double Post Merged, ---

Chap 117

Kanan-sama is easy as hell :feelsbadman . Actually it's a pretty fun romcom.

The way the chap and anime aligned this week. Looking at Aqua. He initially is spooked that Kana is offered a role. So looking at his maniacal laugh this could mean few things A. he would use all means, even Kana, B. he's deluding himself, C. Mocking warning/foreshadowing Kana meeting Hikaru? As the panda stuff does parallel Hikaru at the bar with Yura. I don't think he lied just like he said in the episode, but he's just becoming unhinged after his breakdown. Personally could tone down the edginess, but I also want to see how far he goes in the madness.

For Kana, her role as someone jealous of Ai is interesting because I think she would outperform Ruby during filming and overshadow her just like Ai did in that one production. They might have to cut her scenes a bit, but I think she'll have a made a strong impact on the crew and the scenes she still has, leads to her getting more acting opportunities. She will become a Giant Panda!

Chap 118

Aka saw the Ai reincarnation theories and cruelly nipped them.

I'm pretty sure Kana is gonna be the glue that holds the cast together. We'd come full circle from her film with Gotanda as a child to now, her showcasing her communication skills and working well with others.

And damn, they just up and introduced Ruby(Sarina) mom :o

Those Kana panels were superb. Barring Hikaru doing anything, I believe that foreshadowed role will be in the ending and cement Kana's return to stardom. Also, really like her interactions with Ruby right now, it goes well with the anime. Kana actually has the best interactions with most of the cast, even minor characters.

And this Ruby character writing is very compelling. Why I ultimately accepted her being cast as Ai. Living in Ai's shadow, seeing through the lies and Ai's true self, and coming to terms with her identity past and current life, is great stuff. Could potentially reach Ice Kaguya. Side note, hope Sarina's mom becomes collateral in Aqua's plan.

Oh and going back to Aqua and crow girl's familarity. He most likely met her some point in the first timeskip before he enrolled in high school, top panel:

Yoasobi making history:

It's real:

Man, this was so sad :emobirb

A lot think the reveal is happening next, I feel it's 50/50. It's hard to know what Aqua will do.

Last edited:

Gajeel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
An unofficial translation has been released.

A much-anticipated event finally takes place. I loved every second of it. Now, I wonder what their sibling dynamic (and even with Miyako) will be like from now on considering that Ruby finally knows the truth. Will she try to convince Aqua to become a duo and hunt down Hikaru, or will Aqua somehow force Sarina to give up on vengeance to pursue her idol dream 🤔 ?

I'd love for a development where, now that Ruby/Sarina knows that Aqua/Gorou is alive, she'll try to stop him from straying on that path and join forces with Akane. :pleased

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reading and watching peak fiction back to back.

The much awaited revelation fully lived up to the hype, major props to Aka and Mengo both for delivering this chapter. Honestly, made me eyes heavy for a bit, especially at the end.

An unofficial translation has been released.

A much-anticipated event finally takes place. I loved every second of it. Now, I wonder what their sibling dynamic (and even with Miyako) will be like from now on considering that Ruby finally knows the truth. Will she try to convince Aqua to become a duo and hunt down Hikaru, or will Aqua somehow force Sarina to give up on vengeance to pursue her idol dream 🤔 ?

I'd love for a development where, now that Ruby/Sarina knows that Aqua/Gorou is alive, she'll try to stop him from straying on that path and join forces with Akane. :pleased
I hope we get a scene with Ruby and Miyako soon. I don't blame Ruby considering how bad it was getting for her psychologically the past year, and why she felt isolated. But now, as she gets back her light, she'll realize Miyako was the mom she wanted and she has great friends in Kana, Mem, Frill, and Minami.

As for now, I think Ruby will stick with Aqua considering the flash forward scene. Probably change towards the end of filming tho.

Official OST released:

Really good art from Mengo recently.

For Spur Magazine

NatsuComic

Ai:

Blue-Ray:

Collabs:

Very good emotional payoff with Ruby regaining her light.

And now that ending, Ruby say SIKE right now. Tbh, I think she is serious in the question to sensei not Aqua. She identifies them separately, so maybe just to see what sensei would say. I'm pretty sure it won't go this route, and Aka clearly knows his readers well and is baiting. I mean dropping this and going on break, he wants the community to go out of control lol.

Anyways, beautiful volume cover and artbook cover dropped today :hearts

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Very good last two chapters.

Have to admit, the edgy Aqua bullshit was ruining the manga. Akasaka overdid it with the revenge subplot. Even making Ruby become hellbent on revenge was a poor writing choice, I get her anger at losing sensei and her mother but there was no need to change her whole personality.

But after seeing her backstory and the double reveal with Aqua, now THIS is what made Oshi no Ko truly great. Hoping Akasaka can keep this tempo up for the rest of the series.

The incest memes and jokes have been brilliant :lmao

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have to admit, the edgy Aqua bullshit was ruining the manga. Akasaka overdid it with the revenge subplot. Even making Ruby become hellbent on revenge was a poor writing choice, I get her anger at losing sensei and her mother but there was no need to change her whole personality.
We are just not gonna agree on this lol. Besides it was 3 panels :XD Yes, those instances were not good and ooc. But overall, the path Aqua has been on since he learned of Hikaru and seeing what he'd be possibly willing to do, even if I don't like it, is compelling. And the last 2 chapters have made it all the more interesting.

For Ruby, I thought dark Ruby was solid. Her standalone arc doesn't measure up to others, but her manipulative side was good, and at the same time I appreciated that she still cared a lot for her friends even if distant.

But yeah, Ruby's character work this arc has simply been first class.

PS: B-Komachi songs, like we talked a long time ago lol

OnK ranking on M+ :hip Honestly, well deserved, WSJ is the definition of mediocrity for almost 2 years now.

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
New chapter out:

Lol, clingy Ruby :XD

Miyako is getting more screentime of late, i'm surprised. Nice monologue in the bar though.

Was it ever explained why Ichigo left her? I dont remember :hmm

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
That first panel, context! Honestly, looks more like a close sibling relationship.

And we finally got Kana blob, blob trio complete. I spy Ruby thighs :mono

Miyako focus! My feelings on her are well known here, gladly welcome it. The mom who stepped up. I like how the in the image of the twins in her mind, Aqua actually looks like a teen and love her faith in Ruby.

Was it ever explained why Ichigo left her? I dont remember :hmm
He considered Ai as a daughter and basically went in downward spiral after her death

Artbook released today and Jump+ illustration

by つえづ

Aqua in these collab arts is cursed lol

Last edited:

baqar khani

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Chapter 125 early TL

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very good backstory for the mom who stepped up in several ways.

First, it's relatable. Coming together with people for a shared goal, and then seeing yourself left ragged and alone because you're the only one invested definitely hits. Also, I was a bit worried about how her and Ichigo would get back together, but pleased with the direction it looks to be heading. Don't really see them being very close but instead a necessary partnership to help the twins and revive a dream. Also, that slipper throw :XD . She and Kana gonna represent Japan for baseball.

Also, depicting her life in Tokyo as a game was nice touch. Starting from the bottom and now we here. Also, I see model Miyako 👀. Mengo pls bless us with a volume cover and more art soon 🙏.

@Brandish μ could you do me a solid, and close poll pls. I want to set up a new one. Also, want to become a star, er I mean give the series a try? The anime set the world ablaze, plus the art above and below.

Volume 11 is best cover as per previous poll and highly reliable given its large sample size of 3 voters lmao.

Also, a lot of banger art dropping, official and fan. @Hermit , the Ruby art is overflowing in the last few weeks 👀

New Blu-Ray cover. Galaxy edition

credits to the artists

Also, this one LOL
]

@Hermit remember when you were curious of how the anime community would receive the girls.

Great to see my boy Melt again. Best Boy

Mem pic

Great to see Kana and her biggest fan interacting again. Looking forward to them on set for the movie.

The best for last. Mengo cooked for this one. Aqua-Ruby content stays sizzling. And Ruby put reminded me of Marin, Ruby better ofc.

Yes, Miyako has the right mindset for Ichigo. Work his ass.

Ruby is so delusional that Aqua could hold a door open for someone and she'd think it's to make a better world for her live in.

Haha this chap. was Kaguya-sama-esque. Child actor acquired, crow girl as Ruby.

Also Aka had a one-shot published this week. 3 chapters in the same magazine in a week, the GOAT.

Last edited:

Gajeel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Even a supernatural being is no match to Aqua's gaslight.

This chapter reminded me of this great meme, so I had to do it.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Few quips about the stats:

Singing Skill: Ruby and Mem getting to B is fine, considering how hard they work. But, no way should it be the same as Kana. Based on talent, she should be A, and would've been S if she cared enough.

Popularity: Don't know how Ruby is more than Frill now? Frill>= Ruby would be more appropriate given what we've seen so far in the series.

Internet/social media: Mem should be S, given her feats and accolades.

Also, quite a shift in roles since the initial draft. That bastard Ichigo somehow got an S-tier actor to play him. And the incest allegations are stronger than ever.

Long hair Kana is amazing, Akane approved. Also Kana's character has a short story, 45510

Akane's acting is so good, best in the series.

Ruby may be a replica if Ai, but I bet a majority of the people on set know Ai better than her.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
New volume cover :whoo

And new light novel series announced ;)

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
At long last, MiyaMom cover :hearts. Mengo, I kneel.

LN is pretty hype too.

Also, last week's chapter was solid. Glad we got Mem focus. Her self-made career is so admirable.

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
New chapter is out:

We get Ai's backstory, finally. Was actually less darker than i expected.:hmm

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really love the creative way we're depicting Ai's story. Aka :super Though will say Ruby's acting isn't good so far, she just looks the part.

Not forgiving Ai's mom or anything, but can at least recognize the self-reflection and honesty.

Also, Akane was born a normal child 🤣, she's just not normal right now...

Very interesting to see what direction Kana's role will be now, given Nino's affiliation to Hikaru.

Kamiki is cooking.

Though will say Ruby's acting isn't good so far, she just looks the part.
Yep yep yep, from mannerisms to dialogue. Now mentioned by Nino as well.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eating good in 2024. S2 visual

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Chapter 133 is out

Brilliant chapter. Kana continues to remain the best character in the series ;)

Think Ruby will see through this obvious malice, but she will finally be able to play the part of her mother perfectly due to it.