Original Work - Pandemonium | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Original Work Pandemonium

Quane

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Story contains strong language, if you don't feel comfortable with curse words, it might not be for you.

Introduction:

Hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the world of Pandemonium - a novel I've finally decided to write.

Now first things first:

- English is not my primary language so please do not expect wonders or super fancy words

- This is sort of a reboot, I've been developing the story over the years in my head. I've already wrote a few "manga" chapters in the manga sub forum, but I thought to myself that it was terribly paced and completely out of place without drawings

- I'll be updating this thread as often as I can, this chapter was written today as a start, so I'm not expecting a lot of feedback from just one quick read-through prologue

- If it sticks, I am aiming for arguably long series over the time, so for the time being, enjoy!

Project itself:

Unusually cold wind, sky brimming with darkness, and that fucking dog won't stop barking. Let's see here. Dalan left the town's armory despite the paperwork, slammed the doors tight, and slowly started walking towards north outskirts.

Such panic... such stupidity... Look at that one! Will they ever learn? As he made his way through the snow drifts, he could not believe in things happening around him. Almost entire population of Kirka completely devoured by madness. People running around aimlessly, screaming their lungs out about the day of judgment. Folk young and old, no matter, blaming each other for all of sins committed against their gods. Dalan shook his head. Insanity. It took him a lot of effort, both physically and mentally - to reach his destination. Upon making it this far he came to conclusion that no matter the conditions, he needs to do something about the entire situation. Fuck it, I need a drink. Despair. I left my hip-flask on the desk back in the armory. Fantastic. If that ain’t a reason to join the townsfolk then I don’t know what is. Screw it, I’m not turning back now.

Dalan was one of few that knew their ways around the old outpost area, many people lost their lives here due to either construction flaws or decay. Since the most recent accident, it’s been announced as an off-limit zone for citizens of Kirka. Not for Dalan though. With position as high as his own, no one would dare to question his actions. That’s because he is the one asking questions around here.

There it is. He reached towards an old ladder and started climbing it slowly. The wind surely is a killer tonight.

Just before making it to the top, he heard a familiar voice from above.

- Who goes?!

- The Grim Reaper himself and his bitches!
Answered Dalan.

- Oh! Hello Dalan! And it’s Liches by the way!

- Stop playing smart and help this old prick climb up, Geant. I’m not in my thirties anymore.

The person known as Geant reached out towards Dalan, helping him get upstairs. Dalan immediately noticed and recognized the rest of the folk situated around.

- Lars? What are you doing here? Asked Dalan.

- Sir Dalan! I… I didn’t know what to do, I aksed Geant to show me what is happening, but I couldn’t leave my sons behind so we all came up here. The entire town is in chaos! What is going on? Are we going to die?!

- Oh please Lars, and here I thought that you were the smart one. No one… *cough*, none of us is going to die, the town is safe.

- But how can you say that?! Just look around you! Said Lars’s older son.

Dalan looked over the horizon and felt chill over his spine. It indeed looked like the world was about to end. The sky was almost completely black, no sun or moon to be found, yet it was bright enough to see everything. Crows flying around everywhere in a complete silence, and that snow… falling down so gently and peacefully, yet the wind could possibly break one’s spine.

- Yes. Said Dalan while scratching his beard.

- Yes? Repeated Lars.

- Yes, I’ve seen it already. Geant, give me something to drink.

Geant reached inside his coat and handed over a bottle of spirit to Dalan. He took a huge sip and placed his bottom on a laying crate nearby.

- Listen to me lads. I’ve been alive for quite some time now and trust me when I say this – I have seen some shit happening. He pointed towards the horizon where the clouds were gathering.

- There are things… things that are hard to explain happening right now. All I can say is that these things are not meant for us simple folk. Now, who can tell me what lies north?

He was met with dead silence. Why do I even t- Just before finishing a sentence in his head, Lars’s younger son slowly pulled his hand into the air.

- No need to be shy my lad, speak away. Said Dalan with a smile on his face.

- Capital city of Gebrana?

- Correct. And he, my child, is their problem, not ours.

Another few seconds of silence, combined with confusion on everyone’s faces.

- He? Asked Geant, who is he?

That put a wide smile on Dalan’s face as he went for another gulp from the bottle.

- Death, of course.

End of prologue.
Yona looked at her little daughter and faintly smiled in denial. She had lost all but last glimmer of hope… hope for a better tomorrow. She had planned this journey for years in advance, sacrificing almost everything for the sake of her child. Was it all in vain? – she thought. It is not fair.

It’s been two months since their departure from Yona’s birthplace to the east. She, her husband and their lovely daughter were to travel to the capital city of Gebrana during next year’s summertime. So she thought. Aiden did not like the idea. He wanted to stay and live like simple folk, by the old rules. She wanted a better life for their daughter. He kept insisting to stay, but she didn’t listen. And the closer she’s got to realizing her dream, Aiden changed respectively.

He started another fight. As usual, Yona didn’t want to listen to his arguments, they had no meaning for her. They were always poor, hungry, and tired. She couldn’t remember at which point, but in the end, she called him a coward. That put Aiden into a rage, resulting in a slam right into her left cheek. Afterwards he slowly walked out of the room, and she… she realized leaving won’t be that simple anymore… so she killed him, stabbing him in his back. She packed her things and left for the capital the same night.

Many would think of it as suidical – a lone mother and a child not older than five years of age, leaving for the capital at this time of the year. But she didn’t care. It was all or nothing for Yona, for her daughter’s future. And after two whole months of hardships and pain, they’ve finally made it. A sight to behold from afar – Gebrana.

It was barely visible from miles away, yet it was the most beautiful sight she had ever seen, even though the sky looked like it was about to tear apart, and that she… was about to die.

Unbeknownst to her daughter, Yona was dying. She fell deathly ill during their travels. She did what she could best to prevent it from developing, but she knew since the moment she woke up, that there will be no tomorrow for her.

Is this a punishment for what I’ve done? She didn’t want to accept her fate. Am I to leave my child behind to die in here?

- Not like this… - She said.

- Mommy? – Her daughter replied.

- It’s nothing honey. Come here. She sat down on a rock nearby and placed her daughter on her knees.

- Listen to me darling, Mommy has something very important to say to you.

She looked straight into her daughter’s eyes… yet she couldn’t stop herself from overflowing with years.

- You are very brave, Marle. Even stronger than me. That’s why I know you will make it without me. Mommy has to stay behind for a while, but I will catch up to you as soon as I can. Will you do that for me?

Then she heard the words she had never expected to hear from her daughter.

- I understand, I’ll be strong for you mommy!

That’s where she completely broke down, and lost all the strength she had left, collapsing to the snowy ground.

I have failed… - She thought, as her daughter cried out to her to wake up.

Please gods… Yona muttered in her head. I have never wanted anything for myself in this life, and this child is guilty of nothing. I beg of you, make sure she makes it, make sure she lives her life to the fullest, without all the hardships me and my husband had to go through. Then she closed her eyes for the last time.

Marle kept crying over her dead mother’s body, begging her to wake up. The weather was getting worse and worse with every minute. Soon she cried out her last tear, and by that time Yona’s body was already covered in snow.

As young as she was, she wanted to respect her mother’s dying wish. But she couldn’t. The wind completely overpowered her, she was cold and weak. After just a few steps towards her destination, she fell down shivering.

-Mo…mmy.She said, as she slowly started closing her eyes. And that is when she noticed something.

What’s that in a distance? Is… is that fire? No. Fire can’t be black dummy. A smoke? Looks more like a fog though, a black fog. She could barely see things around her, as a dense, dark cloud of mist made its way toward her. And in the centre of it all, a person.

The mysterious character approached Marle, grabbing her with both of its hands, lifting her up. She looked at the man’s face but it was all blurry, yet she could see a faint smirk on his face.

She remembered one of her mother’s stories, the one she was scared of the most. When the sky turned black and all of the weird things started happening, Yona explained to Marle its importance. And the story now made perfect sense.

Death has come for my mother. And then they disappeared, leaving just a trail of dark smoke over Yona’s dead body.

Last edited: