Archived - Philosophy Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Archived Philosophy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brede

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Kusachu said:
Socrates also had a wife and children, or so I've been told. :)
that reminds me of an anecdote i heard: Socrates had this advise for young men. "By all means marry. If you find a good wife, you will be very happy. If you don't, you will be a very good philosopher." History tells us that Socrates was married... :smile-big

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, lol. And he had problems with his wife throughout their marriage XD

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Rampage-san said:
Yeah, lol. And he had problems with his wife throughout their marriage XD
so really, we should thank Socrates's wife for all his words of wisdom :p

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Poor guy :neutral

Kusachu

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I heard that Socrates' wife used to hide his clothes so he wouldn't go into athens to philosophize, but instead of staying home, he just showed up naked. XD

For real, Socrates is my hero. XDDDDDDDD It is my dream to corrupt the youth!

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Kusachu said:
I heard that Socrates' wife used to hide his clothes so he wouldn't go into athens to philosophize, but instead of staying home, he just showed up naked.  XD 
lol, that would explain all those naked Greek statues of socrates!

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Brede said:
lol, that would explain all those naked Greek statues of socrates!
No, no, no! Naked statues explain their opinion on a perfect body. Those were mostly gods or half-gods shown in those statues. They were as always assumed to be flawless, so they had to be perfect (in ALL places).

Speaking of which? Is godly being flawless or not?
I think it's not because, if it were, an omnipotent being would make everything as flawless as himself. So I dare to say that either godly beings don't exist, either they've their flaws same as everything else, either the world is flawless only when having flaws in it.

What? If we speak about philosophy and make philosophy ourselves, then we should make it bigtime!

Kusachu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trivia: How to tell a classic Greek sculpture from a Roman copy.

The Greek sculpture will be naked, the Roman copy will have the infamous fig leaf--or similar-- covering the genitalia (Catholic church and all...naked is dirty).

Coincidentally, there are far more Roman copies than there are true Greek sculptures of the time period because many of the original sculptures were destroyed by war and natural disasters and such. (The Romans had a big hard on for the Greeks during the Renaissance XD) See: Humanism

And a little joke:

The Greeks supposedly won the Persian War (I think that’s the right war…) because when the Persians saw a bunch of screaming, naked Greeks running at them, they decided to turn around and go home.

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Kusachu said:
The Greeks supposedly won the Persian War (I think that’s the right war…) because when the Persians saw a bunch of screaming, naked Greeks running at them, they decided to turn around and go home.
ooh, the greeks would have been in trouble if the persians had Sai on their team then.

CheckMate

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. (Frank Outlaw)

A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't (a wiseman)

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece
siegfried said:
hey perfect exits.look at the solar system it is perfect.the books say "if sun were a centimeter closer to the world there would be a huge chaos.human wouldnt survive." the whole universe is perfect.actually human body is perfect too.can you think of anything to add to your body that will make your body more convenient?when microbes comes into the body,your body always find the best way to disinfect them.
Is the universe perfect? You say so, but is it so? Whose decision is it whether it is perfect or not? What is the definition of perfect? In Greek the word is ancient Greek and related to the words "end" and "purpose", so I've heard a professor say that perfect is that which has reached the end of its purpose, that it can't get any better. So who decides what has and hasn't reached its purpose?

As for my body, it does age doesn't it? I will die won't I? Did anybody ask me if I want to die? Germs? Our body can't always fight 'em off and in the end they kill us. Do they care? Without us they die as well but they don't care because their averege life span is a few dozen hours. Even if some generations of germs kill me, some of them will live to kill another person or animal. If you see individual living entities as cells of their species, and the species as an individual then we all die for the greater good! Each new generation of animals is stronger and better adapted to the world, so that the whole species will never die. Humans? I think we are a twisted exception since only we make wars among other things no animal would ever do. What are we? An infestation perhaps... Of course that's just a personal view :tem In the game of life and death I see around me there seems to be a constant exchange of energy for the sake of passing down your DNA to the next generation... We strive to live so that we can die after having children so that they can do the same in an endless meaningless cycle. The humans seem to be an exception like no other, doing all sorts of meaningless things, from helping other entities in their own meaningless cycle, to massively killing their own... Does this make sense? Is there any point? Who am I to decide? What I know is what "feels" right and what "feels" wrong. Of course smashing someone's head after they have hurt you does "feel" right but that's another story.

On a side note, inspired by Leen's LS no Jutsu, I was thinking that a lot of people are approaching Yoga or sports as a means to feel good... chemically. You see there's a number of lovely chemicals produced by your own body called Endorphins that are released into our blood stream during such actions as sex or physical excercise and I think during meditation (relaxation). I've heard that Serotonin is a hormone that affects our mood and our sleeping pattern. So, in the morning, when the sunlight hits your eyes serotonin is what tells your body "rise and shine", it makes you all happy and perhaps it is what makes men horny in the morning. Wikipedia doesn't say the things I've read elsewhere unfortunately but it has so many other info that it's ok. Anyway, what I'm (sadly) trying to say here is that a number of chemicals in our brain affect us more than we want to admit (because that would mean a whole lot of nasty things).
So... why do we do what we do and why do we see things the way we see them? Are people thinking of sex so much because it's a natural drug? Do we do what we do just to feel good? It certainly seems that way to me although it's kind of scary... the things that make certain people feel good that is. In the end, are we but a cell that lives it's short life doing what a bunch of chemicals dictate so that the species will live on? And what does it matter if the species does live on? Is it because the species likes life and wants to live? Is it that simple? I really can't tell...
[br]Posted at: 29 April 2006, 02:25:47_________________________________________________I like the word "if I had known sth,it is the fact that I dont know anything." but did you know this was wrong?.it should be "if I had known sth,it is the fact that I only know one thing"
From what little ancient Greek I know the ancient "Εν οίδα, ότι ουδέν οίδα" would translate (word for word) to: "One knew, that nothing knew". This of course makes no sense in English =p The verb used is also irregular and if memory serves this version is a Past Tense beta, as we call it. I think it could be perceived as "I learnt one thing, that I learnt nothing". Personally I don't think that phrases that have come to be almost worshipped around the globe should be overanalyzed. Either way I hope that was usefull input.

think about this.all the things that you know comes from your senses.what if your sense is misleading you?think a world like "the matrix" can you still be sure that there is an absolute truth?what if everything is just an illusion?
Check what this man said! Parmenides... and yes, he is Greek =p

this will be offtopic but did you know aristotales and socrates and all those big greek philosophers were gay? :blink (no offense anax)
I wonder if does gays think deeper.it is very interesting.
I don't know if they were gay for a fact, though what I have read is that the people those days thought of love as such a higher feeling that gender was unimportant. In Hagakure, Yamamoto has a passage on love and mentions both heterosexual and homosexual relationships alike. I guess people in the past where more open minded.

CheckMate

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
waaooo.. that's quite a lot of phiolsophy

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
you_know_who said:
waaooo.. that's quite a lot of phiolsophy
What else did you expect. You don't know Anax yet. Some of his other posts are wayyyyyyyy longer.
We believe he has some of those greek philosophers in his bloodstream. :smile-big

@Anax I'm not so sure I agree with "I learnt one thing, that I learnt nothing". There's another sentence I tend to agree with much much more. That is "The more I learn, the less I know" (please don't mix this up with the anecdote). That says that the more a person learns, the more he knows, but at the same time he finds more unknown things. To put it simply - "Every answer asks two more questions". We can never know everything. It's only possible to know much. Only a fool could say he knows all. A smart man would say he knows much, but at the same time he would see more things yet to find the answer than most people.

svart_lotus

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Anax said:
So, in the morning, when the sunlight hits your eyes serotonin is what tells your body "rise and shine", it makes you all happy and perhaps it is what makes men horny in the morning. Wikipedia doesn't say the things I've read elsewhere unfortunately but it has so many other info that it's ok.
The pressure from the urine bladder stimulates your prostate, thats what awaken the beast :)

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
svart_lotus said:
The pressure from the urine bladder stimulates your prostate, thats what awaken the beast :)
:loool

Now that's what I call a philosophy thread :p

svart_lotus

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
It could be vital to know, one day our lives may depend on it :D

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece
It's not a joke! Thank you Svart for your imput, it saved me from repeating the same assumption! At least now I know and when I talk about serotonin in the future I'll only mention "mood", and not make assumptions. In fact I'll edit my post right now :tem

@Preddy --> I'm not sure I can even see Socrates' view on the matter... perhaps I'm much too young. Still, on what you said, I got the picture of a circle in my head: the more you know the larger the circle of your knoweldge, the larger your view of your ignorance in the perimeter of your circle. Is that clear? :sweat

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
the more you know the larger the circle of your knoweldge, the larger your view of your ignorance in the perimeter of your circle. Is that clear?
You lost me at circle lol

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Predator_U said:
"The more I learn, the less I know"
Very true! Its also physically impossible to know 'everything' at any given point of time as something 'new' is happening evey minute. compare what we 'know' now to what was known say 100 years ago. take science for example. Not so long ago, the smallest thing 'known' to man was an atom. some years passed then miraculously the atom was blasted apart and we got electrons, protons and neutrons. some more years passed and we got particles and quarks. instead of answers, we ended up with more questions.

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The more I learn, the more I think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.