Discussion - Plot-holes in One Piece | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Plot-holes in One Piece

MBVC

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
Kizaru's light df destroyed the logic long time ago. Human having mass transforms into pure radiation with no mass then transforms into the state in which light has "half the mass", totally bs.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Kizaru's light df destroyed the logic long time ago. Human having mass transforms into pure radiation with no mass then transforms into the state in which light has "half the mass", totally bs.
Because that was the point where logic was thrown out off the window. Not things like Zoro lifting a few tons as a training, Sanji who ignites his own leg by spinning it very fast without burning his foot to ashes or Luffy who is able to manipulate his blood flow or blow air into his bones because his body is made of rubber.
Logic never existed in One Piece, that is a fact.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm really at a lost as to why people attempting to apply real world physics to One Piece, a series where the first damn chapter introduces a character whose body is literally the consistency of rubber. These things cannot be considered a plot hole as that is how the One Piece universe works. I mean, you've already suspended your disbelief this much, why is a guy who can set his legs aflame and a guy made entirely of light the deal breakers? I mean, I assume the moment Luffy punched a sea monster with a stretchy arm would be the moment people would go "Hmm, ya know? I don't think series follows any real world physics..."

Now, if Oda suddenly started to apply hardcore real life physics into the series out of nowhere in the next chapter, then we'd be entering plot hole territory, but as it is now, One Piece powers aren't plot holes.

Last edited:

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yeah, I'm really at a lost as to why people attempting to apply real world physics to One Piece, a series where the first damn chapter introduces a character whose body is literally the consistency of rubber. These things cannot be considered a plot hole as that is how the One Piece universe works. I mean, you've already suspended your disbelief this much, why is a guy who can set his legs aflame and a guy made entirely of light the deal breakers? I mean, I assume the moment Luffy punched a sea monster with a stretchy arm would be the moment people would go "Hmm, ya know? I don't think series follows any real world physics..."

Now, if Oda suddenly started to apply hardcore real life physics into the series out of nowhere in the next chapter, then we'd be entering plot hole territory, but as it is now, One Piece powers aren't plot holes.
Yeah especially when we consider that the strange occurances in the world as imagined by Oda are explained by DFs, rather than let's say magic. He said that he didn't want to have a magician type character, rather he'd rely on DFs to explain those strange phenomenons. So we shouldn't apply physics to this rather they're as close to magic as things can get in the manga. How can an inflated body be hard? Luffy's giant punch is basically a giant balloon filled with air, so how is it supposed to be so destructive? According to science, it shouldn't.
Also there's a few times the readers should apply some common sense, and some previous knowledge about DFs. For example if Akainu can walk on ice without melting it, maybe it's just because he hasn't activated the lava in his whole body. It's not like logias can't turn back to their normal state, or if they use their power their whole body becomes the element of their DFs ALL THE TIME. So in Akainu's case he could have activated the lava in his fist, but not his feet, that's why he can walk on the ice without melting it.
So these aren't actual plot holes, if we think about it just a little it should be easy to reach an answer.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah especially when we consider that the strange occurances in the world as imagined by Oda are explained by DFs, rather than let's say magic. He said that he didn't want to have a magician type character, rather he'd rely on DFs to explain those strange phenomenons. So we shouldn't apply physics to this rather they're as close to magic as things can get in the manga. How can an inflated body be hard? Luffy's giant punch is basically a giant balloon filled with air, so how is it supposed to be so destructive? According to science, it shouldn't.
Also there's a few times the readers should apply some common sense, and some previous knowledge about DFs. For example if Akainu can walk on ice without melting it, maybe it's just because he hasn't activated the lava in his whole body. It's not like logias can't turn back to their normal state, or if they use their power their whole body becomes the element of their DFs ALL THE TIME. So in Akainu's case he could have activated the lava in his fist, but not his feet, that's why he can walk on the ice without melting it.
So these aren't actual plot holes, if we think about it just a little it should be easy to reach an answer.
It's not even that it's destructive, it's the fact that he can fill his solid bones with air! AIR!

Diable Jiambe should be the least of someone's concerns when we have that as well as Lava folks running about. Hell, an argument can be made for Diable Jiambe as it is at least somewhat close (loosest possible definition) to a scientific explanation, friction being needed to activate it originally, but even then, the fact that he can even create such a large amount of friction to set his legs aflame is impossible.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
It's not even that it's destructive, it's the fact that he can fill his solid bones with air! AIR!

Diable Jiambe should be the least of someone's concerns when we have that as well as Lava folks running about. Hell, an argument can be made for Diable Jiambe as it is at least somewhat close (loosest possible definition) to a scientific explanation, friction being needed to activate it originally, but even then, the fact that he can even create such a large amount of friction to set his legs aflame is impossible.
Lol yeah, it's simply impossible. Well what can I say, Oda likes to have fun with the DF powers, and he certainly doesn't take the laws of physics into account while making them.So I find it rather ironic that some try to apply scientific concepts to explain it.:amuse
Even if Oda explains what DFs are through Vegapunk, with a scientific approach, it might not make him follow the laws of physics more closely for example.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I doubt it will as well. Vegapunk hasn't even been introduced yet and Oda already killed the real world science with him by having him invent a way to have item "eat" devil fruits.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yeah, I doubt it will as well. Vegapunk hasn't even been introduced yet and Oda already killed the real world science with him by having him invent a way to have item "eat" devil fruits.
True, I think it's a rather Japanese thing, having objects being inhabited by spirits and such. It sounds like the object needs to have a will of its own in order for it to eat a fruit. :huh

No amount of science can explain that.

MBVC

Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
1) Kizaru shot a small key instead of Luffy's big head.

2) Kizaru didn't give Buggy who was carrying Luffy his special "kick at the speed of light". Buggy was flying slow as snail but Kizaru didn't flying above him like the way the admiral stood on a flying cannon ball. Maybe he shared the same point of view as Aokiji who didn't used his famous ice age attack when Jinbei landed on ice, but only said oops, sorry dude then stood there and watched Jinbei ran away from Akainu who was stupid didn't know the other 2 admirals were only playing around.

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's Kizarus personality and PIS to move the plot and keep major characters alive, not plot-holes.

Kizaru moves at the speed of light, if he wanted to he could have killed each and every single pirate on sabaody archipelago before Silvers could even lift a finger to fend any of his attacks off. It wouldn't take a blink of an eye for him to clean up the Paradise part of the Grandline from all pirates, still a plot hole?

Last edited:

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
That's Kizarus personality and PIS to move the plot and keep major characters alive, not plot-holes.

Kizaru moves at the speed of light, if he wanted to he could have killed each and every single pirate on sabaody archipelago before Silvers could even lift a finger to fend any of his attacks off. It wouldn't take a blink of an eye for him to clean up the Paradise part of the Grandline from all pirates, still a plot hole?
Can't be true, Rayleigh was able to react to Kizaru in order to thwart his attempt to kill Zoro. If Kizaru could attack Rayleigh before he could blink, Rayleigh would never have concluded his brief duel with Kizaru unscathed.

Also, it seems there's limitations to Kizaru's power. He can travel at light speed, but I don't think he can explicitly attack at light speed.

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
His attacks are as fast as light, that was my point, you are trying to put real world logic into the argument, which we have thrown out of the window a couple posts prior.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
His attacks are as fast as light, that was my point, you are trying to put real world logic into the argument, which we have thrown out of the window a couple posts prior.
I'm not trying to put real word logic, it's either Rayleight can also move at the speed of light or Kizaru's DF has some sort of handicap. How else did Rayleigh fight toe to toe with him?

We saw what happened between Luffy and the Grogon sisters, though they were able to foresee his movements whilst in gear 2nd, they were unable to keep up. So, how did Rayleigh then keep up with Kizaru? Even if he could predict Kizaru's barrage of attacks, it won't matter if he couldn't physically keep up. So it's 1 of 3 things:
  • Either Rayleigh can move at the speed of light too or he shouldn't have gone out the barrage of attacks unscathed.
  • Kizaru can only project himself at life speed, but not move and fight at light speed (still doesn't make him any less superhuman).
  • Or Kizaru was just not trying and I doubt that was the case.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
"Speed of Light" in One Piece is an interesting thing. Oda obviously wants us to equate One Piece's speed of light with the speed of light as it is in the real world, but with One Piece being a work of fiction and Oda not being a physicist, it's obviously not . Kizaru is probably supposed to represent the peak of speed in One Piece.

However, as it stands, I think we can go with the assumption that certain folk can, at the least, react to the speed of light. Another example of this is Zoro versus Kuma, when Kuma mentioned he was capable of pushing air at the speed of light and Zoro was capable of, barely, dodging the hits.

MBVC

Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
Again, the real solution is that Rayleigh has more experience using CoO than Kizaru, he outsmarted Kizaru like manipulated Kizaru attacks without the admiral knowing. By the way, Kizaru can move at the speed of light but he can't think at the speed of light, so his mind is still slow and needs time to process in order to move his hands + legs attacking his opponent. That's is the time delay between what he thinks and when he gives out an attack. Otherwise, why did he stop when Benn Beckman told him so, Kizaru could escape with his speed way before Beckman had time pulling the trigger, this also means before Kizaru's brains told his body to move, Beckman could had pulled the trigger ahead by using CoO reading Kizaru's mind.

Another plot hole is that "kicking at the speed of light" has the kinetic energy mv^2/2; at the speed of light, the damage received is equivalent to 10 megaton TNT but nobody died and only a few buildings were destroyed.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

By the way, there is one manga about assassination in which a creature can move at Mach 20 but can't think at Mach 20, so I guess Oda used the same logic in this case too.

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
By the way, Kizaru can move at the speed of light but he can't think at the speed of light, so his mind is still slow and needs time to process in order to move his hands + legs attacking his opponent. .
What am I reading here. You are trying to tell me that one of the greatest speedsters of the OP verse, an marine admiral and highly experienced DF user, has problems with processing movements and reactions? :D:D:D:D In every single of those situations he made a point of making fun of the situation or his enemies, it's his personality, not any kind of mental slowness on his part.

His kick of light "would" also obliterate himself too, can we stop arguing in this nonsensical way and disregard the whole notion of realism and real life logic already?

Last edited:

MBVC

Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
What am I reading here. You are trying to tell me that one of the greatest speedsters of the OP verse, an marine admiral and highly experienced DF user, has problems with processing movements and reactions? :D:D:D:D In every single of those situations he made a point of making fun of the situation or his enemies, it's his personality, not any kind of mental slowness on his part.

His kick of light "would" also obliterate himself too, can we stop arguing in this nonsensical way and disregard the whole notion of realism and real life logic already?
Thinking process is very slow (less than 1 km/s) when compares to speed of light, so his reaction is way slower than his body movement.

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's fast enough for all other top tier character to react immediently without the need to offer a line of mocking.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Phew, I think the series showed that Kizaru reaction is not on par with his speed. He never did something like Quicksilver, defeating an entire army before they can realize what's going on. Instead he rushes with kicks at the speed of light one target at a time.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Instead he rushes with kicks at the speed of light one target at a time.
Let's be honest, the series would be over if anyone actually did the logical thing with their powers. Kizaru has shown that he's capable of blitzing folks, but if he did pull a DoFP Quicksilver, the series would have ended at Sabaody. And if Kizaru's reaction time matched actually matched his speed, or at least, what his speed is supposed to represent, he'd be the most powerful character in the series. He'd be untouchable, especially with haki.