Shounen - Psyren | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Psyren

Action Bastard

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll echo what a lot of people said I think you scored it too highly. It's nothing exceptional in both art and story. It has your typical shounen archetypes and it's filled with shounen cliche. I'm expecting good things from it, but all in all it's average.

BoXs

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wouldn't even give this one a 6/10. Not a very big Psyren fan as it lacks originality in almost every aspects:

power/abilities are similar to HxH,
drawings, and even the cover designs are Bleach want-to-be,
concept is Gantz,
characters are Bleach again (when the girl was explaining about the PSI, she made "drawings" similar to Rukia's "drawing" ... how much can one copy?!?)

I read it b/c I read nearly all weekly manga, so one more wouldn't really matter.

Manga = Art + Characters + Stories/Themes + Other things (fights, love relationships, the world, etc). And 3 (art, characters, concept + abilities) out of those 4 things were copied from other successful series. What it means is that the author does not dare to take a leap of faith. It's like pop songs, he is doing what "works" and "worked", and play it safe. In art, someone who doesn't play with fire does not deserve to be successful IMO.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
see, i have to disagree now. gantz and psyren aren't as similar as it was first playing out to be. sure both feature being sent into battle, but that's really as far as it goes.

heck with psyren's objective being 'make it to the exit' it's more like a crazy version of the matrix but with a destroyed world instead of a fake one... or would that be a real world instead of a fake one... ya know it's not important

BoXs

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have to disagree, with the "rules" of the game, they nearly match. Both can't tell others about it, there are secrets behind the "travels", point system (one counts up, the other down), and so on.

Not only that, but the theme to survive in hopeless situation, in total isolation where no one can help you. Then the "importance of team mates" part comes in. The only real difference is one is trying to save the present, while the other is saving the future (in a way). One uses technology as weapons and transportation, the other uses PSI. And unlike Psyren, we have yet to know the truth behind Gantz, but I am pretty sure it's similar, since Gantz, like the Nemisis (spelling?) Q, seems to know the future of the world (*spoiler: Gantz's timer as shown in the recent chapters is counting down towards a future event*) and both are trying to save it by sending people there.

Really, the concept is nearly identical, the only difference so far is that we have yet to know Gantz's objective, which I am sure is similar to N.Q.'s (saving the world, but in a twisted way of sending only a few just so they die). One is against high tech ALIENS in weird shapes, while the other is against strong PSI HUMANS and alien looking creatures. If you take those away, they are really the same.

Well since this isn't a Psyren discussion (it's hard to post their similarity without spoiling both Gantz and Psyren @@), I will end it here. Have a good weekend XD (time to sleep, too many midterms, barely getting any sleep, sorry about the grammar, will fix it afterward)

And ain't you from that livejounral website? I visit it all the time :D To check out new Jump manga and the ranking (But I rarely post as I don't have an account)

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i implore you to post on there with an account, i need more people capable of taking me down a peg.

touche good sire, touche. i suppose i only bothered to look at the outside of it without looking at structure.... good god i'm a disgrace to my jump scholar status!

redcometfm

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
The art and characters are definitely Bleach-like. Kind of really distracting. And the their female trainer with dark skin is undeniably a rip-off of Yoruichi. Its an alright manga, with a faster pace and more originality it could improve but it wont reach top status.

Skyrius

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So many mixed reviews XD Really though, in all honesty, I'm wondering, is reading Psyren enjoyable for you guys? 'Cause for me, that's the major driving force behind reading ANY series, shounen, shoujo, gag, and whatnot. Sure, you can break the manga down into separate categories in order to give other people a better idea of why you like/dislike it, but in the end, most people keep reading a series they like, right? If you don't like it, you usually stop (or at least lose interest).

Well, personally I'm beyond biased, which is why you won't see any reviews about this from me >_> If I put one up... yeah, no. I really enjoy reading Psyren and hope it continues for a long time. Let's leave it at that XD

Cyrs

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
North Pole
I recently read (started and finished) Psyren. Wow, it was really good!

Of course, I had the benefit of reading it all the way through, since it's a completed series. But still, I don't quite understand the hate in some of the older comments here. I found Psyren to be better than the other series that people above were comparing it to.

I'd rate it an 8 or 9 / 10, easy.