First Round - Rave Master vs. Hi no Tori | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round Rave Master vs. Hi no Tori

Who wins?

• Rave Master

• Hi no Tori

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

Rave Master
Hiro Mashima
-

Hi no Tori
Osamu Tezuka

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Special Rules
- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Why you should vote for Hi no Tori

1. It isn't Trollshima
2. It has a unique story about an immortal pheonix and mortal humans
3. It bounces through time from the dawn of humans to the apocalypse
4. If blends historical fiction with sci-fI smoothly
5. Every age would love it
6. Tezuka died before he could complete it and is considered his life's work
7. Every mangka was inspired by his artwork because he created modern manga, meaning a vote for Tezuka is a vote for all manga
8. If it wasn't for Tezuka we wouldn't have manga wars and this forum
9. It isn't a Star Wars rippoff
10. The characters have quirks, flaws and personality

More to come!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Here's is one of the DVD covers

Here is the Wikipedia article:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(manga)

Vote Hi no Tori

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
My (by now)rival @Reebi we meet once again on the battlefield, and once again in round 1. Destiny, or something else is here at work, we will never know. As it stands its 1:0 from last years battle for yours truly, now here is your chance for revenge, but i wont make it easy cuz i aint going down without a proper fight. Jokes aside lets do our best. But once again im facing something i dont have the slightest clue about, so i wont be able to judge the other series. But i do hope you enlighten me with your campaign.

So Rave Master ... where do i start. Well lets go from the beginning. This manga is Mashima's big start, his first ever "bigtime"(he did some small manga before that) shonen manga that gained him the global fame that resulted in the creation and popularization of the infamous Fairy Tail (he did Monster Hunter before FT, but that was more like a test for the big troll boy that we would ALL "enjoy" in the future).

This very manga has a very special place in my heart. It is the very first manga i started and finished after discovering the miracle thats manga and anime on the internet (of course i was reading Naruto and One Piece beforehand), and cuz of that this manga is one of my all time favorite i ever read (kinda biased here, but what can you do, i think everyone has something like that in their life, dont judge me). Thats right i have read Rave Master before i even watched or read Fairy Tail. Though i did hear about FT before RM cuz the anime of FT was on the rise so i was planning to watch and read it from the get-go, but as ignorant as i was back than for some reason i thought Rave Master was the prequel to FT so i ended up reading RM first and then FT. And boy i am glad i did so.

Rave Master to this day is, in my honest and humble opinion, Mashima's finest and greatest work. His peak of storry-telling and writting skills (despite the BS he actually can writte some quality story telling, believe it or not), and after witnessing what he did for the second half of FT i dont think he will ever surpass his "gold standard" that was RM (mind you this is all my opinion). I dont know how people would feel reading Rave Master after reading Fairy Tail first .... they would definitely have a diffrent reaction than i had, since i have read it before FT (actually i do know how they would feel, they would call it trash cuz its Mashima duuh bla bla bla, most people do it despite not even trying to read it which is dumb but kinda understandable ... but i feel that this sort of behaviour is unfair to Rave Master).

All in all if you love fantasy adventures with great characters and great story (seriously once you manage the first two or three volumes you wont stop, cuz it gets better and better), if you love great character moments, sad, tear-jerking, happy, badass, funny, amazing etc. moments, which vastly surpass FT in my opinon, or if you love anything that was good about FT, anything, if you want less bs and more awesome storytelling you should pick up this manga and by any chance even vote for it in this battle :verily

But enough of this cringe intro life story, lets talk about what this manga is all about ...

Rave Master

Once there wa the Great Empire of Raregroove led by the family of Raregroove. The Empire wished to unify the world under its banner, but to do so they needed enough power, so they used ancient dark magic that resulted in the creation of the Dark Bring, magic stones that feed on dark magic and evil human emotions but in turn give great power to its user. With the Dark Bring the Raregroove Empire conquered most of the known world, but there was one kingdom that stood its ground against the evil, and that kingdom was known as the Kingdom of Symphonia led by the royal family of Symphonia. The Kingdom managed to use the power of a certain maiden to create a counter to the Dark Bring, and that counter was a Holy Bring that would later be known as Rave. The holy maiden named Resha Valentine used her power to create five pieces of the Holy Bring and bestowed them to the Sword Saint Shiba, the first Rave Master, and with the Rave Master and the Raves, the Kingdom of Symphonia managed to stop the vast expansion of Raregroove and thus began the brutal Kingdom War. During the finale of the war Sword Saint Shiba with the Rave Bearer Plue (believe it or not, THE Plue you all know from Fairy Tail) managed to destroy all Dark Brings of Raregroove but one, the Mother Dark Bring Sinclaire that in its last breath caused the Overdrive (basically a nuclear bomb) that wiped a portion of the world. After the Overdrive the Mother Dark Bring and the five pieces of Rave scattered through the world leaving a desolate continent with only two survivors, Plue and Shiba.

So long story short(yeah right), 50 years after the Overdrive, we follow a young islander named Haru whos life and destiny drastically changed after accidentally meeting that very Plue. After meeting that strange creature called Plue, he is introduced to a new conflict that is turning into a war of potentionally even greater consequences that the previous one. A new threat called Demon Card is collecting Dark Bring to use them as a tool for global domination, and it is up to the new Rave Master to find the scattered Rave pieces, destroy Demon Card and the Dark Bring, prevent a new Overdrive and finally bring piece to the world. On this epic journey to save the world Haru meets Elie, a young girl whos fate is tied with the upcoming conflict and whos storyline provides one of the greatest twists i have read in manga.

And thus you have a very focused and simple story that begins kinda slow, but establishes itself pretty well through the first few volumes, to a epic and deep journey that gets better and better each volume. More serious themes, great character moments, tear jerking moments, badass moments and fights, comedy that will cause your sides to hurt, less BS, great world-building, and overall a great journey.

to be continued ....

Last edited:

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Plot:
Hi no Tori has an unconventional plot where main characters and linear timeline is fragmented into stand alone volumes with a central theme. Some characters reappear through reincarnation while the Pheonix stays the same throughout the series.

Dawn:

Set in ancient times, Queen Himiko invades Japan in order to have the blood of a pheonix for eternal youth. However, the people resist and fight back against the army.

Future:

Set in the 3000s, mankind is on the verge of extinction from nuclear war. Everyone lives underground in a few mega cities while the surface remains a wasteland. A young man named Masato tries to save humanity but there is a threat of H-bombs, which are more deadly than A-bombs.

Gurren Lagann must have been inspired by this volume given the plot similarities.

The one who laugh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Syria
Hi no Tori it looks different type of manga :amuse

But most importantly it is not from Trollshima :cheez
I also read some chapter from brave master and it didn’t catch my interest so yeah..:eyeroll

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi no Tori it looks different type of manga :amuse

But most importantly it is not from Trollshima :cheez
I also read some chapter from brave master and it didn’t catch my interest so yeah..:eyeroll
The first two volumes were kinda bland and the story doesn’t pick up until volume 8. However, Hi no Tori is genius on the first page and continues that way for 12 volumes ;)
The art style is from the 60s but if it wasn’t for that style we wouldn’t have the manga that we have today.

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yep like Reebi said. The story of Rave Master does begin kinda meh. It is very simple and a slow start. The first few volumes are more character than story oriented. Well there is the initial goal that the main cast follow, but its mostly small time journey meeting small time crooks of Demon Card which serve for some cool character moments and development. Not until the introduction of the Oracion Six and SiegHart in volume 5, and when Sieg meets Elie in volume 6 ( Sieg is the greatest character Mashima ever created), you begin to see the story taking shape and start to get truly invested. After that its getting better and better, from arc to arc, cuz after that its the Tower of Din arc which is a great arc and awesomely concludes the first lets say ''intro'' part and opens up the main plot the big stuff. After that its the Symphonia arc, Mermaid's Peril arc, Blue Guardians arc (which are fantastic arcs) and the amazing Truth of Elie arc which delievers the greatest twist of this manga. The final arc is decent, it has some awesome fights, but the conclusion was a bit meh and left to be desired. Mainly the last three chapters were a bit meh and cringy, the rest was pretty good imo. All in all, Rave Master is a great adventure manga and is one of my all time favs. I dare say that the overall series is superior to the glory/golden days of FT but thats my opinion.

But if you werent invested in FT's glory days, and i mean the old days where arcs were pretty hype and great (Phantom,Tower of Heaven, Fighting Festival and some parts of Tenrou, and later some parts of Tartaros that had some of the old magic), than you probably wont get invested in Rave Master, its that simple. Or maybe you will, its hard to tell with that kind of stuff. If you hate Mashima's guts after what he did to FT in the second half and dont want to hear or see or watch anything from him, and than try to read Rave Master, forget it, hate will flow through you and follow you chapter by chapter and you wont be able to read past it. But its all up to you.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Not voted yet, but I'd like to say that you should not think about FT too much for Rave. The latter is much better. Sadly FT became much more popular.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Not voted yet, but I'd like to say that you should not think about FT too much for Rave. The latter is much better. Sadly FT became much more popular.
Because it recieved a good anime.

Last edited:

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi no Tori is a million times better than Rave. The storyline is flawless, the characters are spectacular and the series has inspired many ionic manga and anime series. :redface
Because it recieved a good anime.
Rave anime was sadly very terrible.
Both have nice campaigns and seem interesting but I'll go with Rave Master.
Why would you vote against the guy who created modern manga? All that manga you enjoy was thanks to Tezuka’s imagination! What has Mashima done to the mangaverse besides being a troll? :notrust

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi no Tori is a million times better than Rave. The storyline is flawless, the characters are spectacular and the series has inspired many ionic manga and anime series. :redface

Rave anime was sadly very terrible.

Why would you vote against the guy who created modern manga? All that manga you enjoy was thanks to Tezuka’s imagination! What has Mashima done to the mangaverse besides being a troll? :notrust
But i'm from the troll evil clan :gwah
Honestly Mashima's works might be flawed in many ways but I always find them very enjoyable. Not saying one is better or worse than the other, just personal taste.

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Why would you vote against the guy who created modern manga? All that manga you enjoy was thanks to Tezuka’s imagination!
If thats the case i am very thankful to Tezuka for inspiring our fav mangas we all support (and vote for):hiNothing wrong with modern manga.

What has Mashima done to the mangaverse besides being a troll? :notrust

Creating Rave Master.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If thats the case i am very thankful to Tezuka for inspiring our fav mangas we all support (and vote for):hiNothing wrong with modern manga.

Creating Rave Master.
If it wasn't for Tezuka creating Shonen manga Rave Master wouldn't exist :P

Oh wait, this volume of Hi no Tori sounds familiar:

Nostalgia (望郷編 bōkyō-hen)
Published in COM, 1971; continued in Manga Shōnen, 1976-1978. A science fiction epic about the rise and fall of civilization on the deceptively named desert planet of Eden; and one boy's universe-spanning search for the planet of his ancestors: Earth.
Source: Wikipedia

@Jammin, you better vote for the inspiration of the series you love. Without Tezuka there would have been no Pino :)

I rest my case:hi

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Source: Wikipedia

@Jammin, you better vote for the inspiration of the series you love. Without Tezuka there would have been no Pino :)

I rest my case:hi
I already voted for the Mashima Special even if it's not possible anymore, due to a tragic bracket alignment. Also Plue is actually in Eden Zero. Though I admire the effort Reebs I really do.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I already voted for the Mashima Special even if it's not possible anymore, due to a tragic bracket alignment. Also Plue is actually in Eden Zero. Though I admire the effort Reebs I really do.
You could ask an admin or mod if you could revote :redface. Wouldn't you want Hi no Tori to face off with Eden Zero as opposed to Rave?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
But i'm from the troll evil clan :gwah
Honestly Mashima's works might be flawed in many ways but I always find them very enjoyable. Not saying one is better or worse than the other, just personal taste.
Have you even read Hi no Tori? Everyone needs to read it. It's exceptional storytelling and I haven't heard of anyone who didn't like it.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
You could ask an admin or mod if you could revote :redface. Wouldn't you want Hi no Tori to face off with Eden Zero as opposed to Rave?
I'm not going to do that but if you do clear this round I'll back you wholeheartedly in the next one.:nod

Status
Not open for further replies.