Cleaning - Redrawing for HQ Scans (Part 1) | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cleaning Redrawing for HQ Scans (Part 1)

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Thanks for raping me guys.

I'll go and continue my own thing.

Silver_Sea

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Relax Fxu, no one wants to rape your ass...:XXX

Our time is too important to be used to rape you. :P ( JUST JOKING)

Actually, you misunderstood what is constructive feedback. That's when we analyze each other's work and when we make a point it may be blunt, but we will always back it up with a reason. So sorry if anything above offended you. If you don't take it personally ( and you shouldn't...it was your TECHNIQUE that got commented on, not you) it will help you see a better and faster method of doing things, or at least helpful suggestions.

Of course you don't have to agree, but its no shame to keep an eye out for new techniques or changing your style if you see something different, instead of only sticking to the first method you learnt.

Finally, only people who care will give you constructive feedback. You should appreciate it, not be offended. Alright~?

=D

fxu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Oh, I'm not offended at all. I appreciate the criticism.

I've done graphic design for a while and I recently got into manga cleaning, but not doing it very often so I'm not up to par with others. So I go off making my own ways :x

This is actually how I learned photoshop .. I ignore all tutorials until I find a way to do it by myself, and then read some to improve or even scratch-off my new-found way. A bad way you might say, but I find it successful in most cases. [way way way way way .. lol]

Last edited:

Silver_Sea

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
XDD...sorry my bad then, I thought you were being serious. [Because I met some people who get upset and over-sensitive after they get critted...too bad for me if I'm the one QC'ing them... :scry <--cry me a river ]

A bad way you might say, but I find it successful in most cases. [way way way way way .. lol]
XDD....hehehe....usually, what I do is look at another person's (excellent) work, get jealous, ask myself how he/she did it, and then try to copy it.....I'm such a genius, I know....XDDD;;;;

Last edited:

ddadain

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
When redrawing lineart,

1.) First you need to look around the other linearts
2.) Use pen tool
3.) Adjust opacity/flow of brush

After getting the nice smooth lines, do what I do. Ruin it :P Vato's way of ruining the smooth lines is yah... okay... bit complicated and time consuming... ._. I'd use the same brush stroke with the same systems in place and just stroke here and there then be creative with the eraser :P

Redrawing made simple >_>

Silver_Sea

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Redrawing made simple >_>
Wahahaha, that's a good one. The newbie reading this thread will probably scream Omigosh, but the person who's been redrawing for a while will be intrigued by the full gamut of tools introduced here...=D

Last edited:

Vato Loco!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, I'm not offended at all. I appreciate the criticism.

I've done graphic design for a while and I recently got into manga cleaning, but not doing it very often so I'm not up to par with others. So I go off making my own ways :x

This is actually how I learned photoshop .. I ignore all tutorials until I find a way to do it by myself, and then read some to improve or even scratch-off my new-found way. A bad way you might say, but I find it successful in most cases. [way way way way way .. lol]
:0. I'm currently studying for graphic and package design, (hopefully getting an internship at a local design office soon. :D)

It didn't help at all. XD I know every part photoshop like the back of my hand, and that's because of learning to clean through tutorials. I could have learned it either way, but it's much faster using the tuts.

Anyways, I really recommend you reading tutorials. If you don't want to then w/e, but good luck finding work in a group (an established, non speed group) that'll hire you. Especially since you'll most likely be working with tank scans in those groups.

XDD....hehehe....usually, what I do is look at another person's (excellent) work, get jealous, ask myself how he/she did it, and then try to copy it.....I'm such a genius, I know....XDDD;;;;
Lol. I do the same thing. That's the only reason I still dl'ed jackflap releases till recently. (definitely wasn't for taruno. :P) That's also the reason why I've read every single thread in the MH's academy at least twice, the tuts at least 5 times each.

And ddadain is right, you're basically messing up the line after you make it. :P And though my method might seem a bit complicated, after I got the tools mastered I was able to do re-draws at around 30-50 mins or so. Though now with my tablet I can get them much quicker (depending on the amount of re-draw.)

Last edited:

ddadain

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Yes... tablets makes things MUCH faster ._. Sad that I broke mine by *accidently* spilling hot coffee on it ~_~

Tips:

When using clone stamp, set the opacity and flow at 100%.
Use only ONE or TWO clicks ONLY. Do not drag the mouse!! CLICK ON ONE AREA!!

Pen tool is great!

Polygonal Lasso tool is useful when selecting irregular-shaped linearts.

Redraw on different layers!

Redraw before ERASE!!!

Start from the edges of the lineart, then going to the final detail!

etc.