Discussion - Reflect on the Past Year [2013] | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Reflect on the Past Year [2013]

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Now that the year is coming to a close, how would you remember 2013? Was it a great, good, average or a bad year? Did you do anything during the twelve months that the January!you would find hard to believe? Have you accomplished (or not accomplished) any resolutions? What do you look forward to in 2014?

(I'll bump this thread and change the date next December.)

My Year

January ~ March: The first term was pretty hectic in terms of school, but this second term was quite busy as well. It was the first time I've taken five classes per semester where most of them were anthropology courses. Although I didn't have a lot of final exams in comparison to previous years, there were papers and presentations assigned in nearly every class. I was mentally exhausted by the end, but it was worth it since my GPA was the highest it has ever been.

April ~ June: I was in Berlin during these months! It was exciting living in a new city/country in order to practice my German. Despite doing something similar in Venice, this was the first time I've lived alone in my own place. Rather than the education which was the reason why I went, it was the experience within the city that stayed with me.

July ~ September: Due to the mental exhaustion from the previous school year, I decided to take a year off to gain work experience. I never realized just how hard it was to find a job because places like Starbucks where most of the staff are part-timers didn't call me back. After handing out my resumes to countless number of places, I finally got hired at my friend's old workplace.

October ~ December: The thing that January!me would find hard to believe was that I picked up a pencil and began drawing again after not doing so for seven years. The first couple of sketches are embarrassing and lulz-y, but I feel as if I've improved over the past several weeks.

I hope that in 2014, I'll continue to work (i.e. transition from seasonal to part/full-time) and draw more. I'm returning to school in September so I'll finally finish my remaining credits for graduation.

TStew

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like you've had a busy year, Asarii. And exciting to be in Berlin.

2013 was a great year!!
I don't normally make new years resolutions, or toot my own horn, but I did make some resolutions in 2013 and I accomplished a lot I think.

The last couple years I've been slowly getting back into the things I used to love to do that I neglected for nearly all of my 20's. This year I wanted to seal the deal and really get serious with health and fitness, and broke 1,000 miles running for the first time in a year, and also my longest single run which was when I competed in my first full marathon (and did pretty well for a first timer breaking under 4 hrs). I also broke previous personal records in 5k(sort of), 10k, and 1/2 marathons this year too. I've really done a lot better eating healthy too - well until fall then the diet kind of went by the wayside. And though my main focus has been on endurance training, I've also picked up weight lifting again and kept up with it since the beginning of the year.

Some more firsts for me... went on my first solo backpacking trip into the mountains. Was also the first time I had been back in the high peaks of the mountain range close to where I grew (used to hike there often up until I was 21, then nothing until this year).

Also had some successes at work, after being kind of flat for like 3 years in a row, I got a couple of promotions in the same year!

And I've got much more into anime & manga too. I've really only been into it for about 3 years, and last year I my interest slacked off a bit. This year I've expanded my collection of Claymore memorabilia greatly, and started branching out to actually buying other anime collectible stuff too. I've went from like 1 figure to 6 this year.

Will be hard to beat what I've done this year, but I plan on doing another marathon (would like to try an ultra but maybe 2015ish). Also want to break 100 miles backpacking on one trip, and planning on thru-hiking the Northville-Placid trail in the Adirondacks (~130 miles) maybe in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Happy New Years everyone! :beer

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
January through June:

School and met up with some friends from Twitter in NYC. I forgot if MH had any meetups, but I've met Charlie and his brother sporadically. Attended career fair in March or April, and got a job with Drexel as an office assistant to earn some dough. Got decent to good grades (nothing below C-, praise the nonexistent god), and passed my classes and graduated. GPA is 2.48 or something though, which affects me getting a job as employers like to judge people based on that. Started from 1.98 GPA, otherwise I know I'd have had at least 3.4 GPA. Had 3.197 despite not studying or putting much effort in a community college. Oh, and in May my cousins and I went to my friend's movie premiere in NYC. Also met up with the friends the day before and after the premiere and we had erotic fun. Visited hte Museum of Sex as well.

June through end of December:

Met up with Charles few times, sometimes his brother too
Went to Six Flags with Charles, his dad, and his brothers. Charles is old and fat so he got tired and went home early.
Met up with Twitter friends.
Met up with cousin who lives in NYC.
Drove on snow in a rarely traveled area, scary as shit
Procrastinated on resume and finding a job
Trying to find a job due to loans
Dicking around

What I hope to do next year is get a job, and be able to travel more often.