Discussion - Romance | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Romance

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Have you enjoyed Hak and Yona's relationship development throughout the series?
Who will Soo-Won take as a queen? Will it be Lily?
Any other romantic relationships that you like, or could see forming?

Discuss all romance topics here.

Mini_kinkin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yona X Hak is my ultimate shoujo OTP :D. Though the past few chapters were frustrating, overall I enjoy their dynamic. Most of all I love Hak's loyalty to Yona.

I love the Soo-Won X Lili ship. I think Lili brings out nice sides to Soo-Won and I would like to see them together.

Another ship I absolutely loved was Kaya X Zeno...it's very sad what happened to them though.

Other ships? Hmm I don't know, but I hope all the dragon warriors can end up with someone and find happiness.

Aniela

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Lili and Su-won behave like a married couple already; I'll be vastly disappointed if they don't get together in the end. Other than that, I didn't really pick this manga for romance; I was actually pleasantly surprised to see a shoujo that was more focused on the plot than on shipping...

@Aylinn

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I don’t have anything against Su-won & Lily. They can make a nice couple. I think it is very clear now that they are a possible end game.

I don’t care about Hak & Yona. I think that they relationship is a missed opportunity at creating something that avoids clichés and the clichés which
were used only made them feel artificial.

SamuelDean

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Zeno and Kaya of course! They both were so adorable! I hope that Kaya is either born again or Zeno is able to reach the heavens....(poor guy). Zeno even adopted some of her habits! They both were so similar and yet completely the opposite.

Hak and Yona: I thought some scenes were cute, when he took her hand before the Dragon Warriors were captured. Some were not exactly to me taste...like the honey licking scene...

Soo Won and Lily would be an interesting pair...Lily is not as impressed as Hak or Yona by Soo Won, but she also respects him greatly.
I loved how completely natural he behaves around her...for example I think it is pretty much the first time, that he tried to put the blame on Lily, when he didn t notice her in the mausoleum. That was absolutely funny!

lindananahayashida

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
i personally love..

1.soo won x tetora
2.jae-ha x yona
3.soo won x kouren
4.soo won x yona

but i could see soo won x lili and hak x yona coming lol!

my personal favourite would be soo won x tetora tbh :p even tho theres literally nothing of them.. they just seem like character that would go very well together..

jae-ha x yona is right now the most interesting thing when it comes to romance for me.. even tho i know it wont happen.. but his internal struggle.. his consideration about haks feeling.. he is not a character who is completely selfless as he cant really let go of the feelings for yona n struggles seeing hak close to yona.. but also understands n cares about haks feelings for yona.. n vice versa.. to me.. his suffering when it comes to romance is one of the best.. along with zeno..

soo won n kouren does look like they interest each other as a person.. idk.. i just think they know what it means to take care of the throne.. n what it means to get your hands dirty.. they both harbour strong feeling for their own country..

now for soo won x yona.. tbh.. i just wanted the author to defy the normal cycle.. pulling tis ship off will be very hard thing for any writer without destroying the characters.. thats why it intrigues me.. i want the writer to somhow.. pull it off without making yona go back to her fan girl self (like sakura haruno).. n also not making the ship impossible just for hatred.. in most peoples case.. who dont like it is because.. he killed her father.. i just want the writer to show that its not always about being pathetic fangirl or giving up to hatred.. there are other ways as well.. i also want yona to have a more equal position.. n not being the shy little girl that she is around hak right now.. or she was around soo won before..it just pisses me off when in a shoujo the heroine slways has to be so shy in front of her love interest.. im not saying take the lead.. but at least keep an equal position.. it just seems unfair for the guy as well..

Last edited:

Mini_kinkin

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
now for soo won x yona.. tbh.. i just wanted the author to defy the normal cycle.. pulling tis ship off will be very hard thing for any writer without destroying the characters.. thats why it intrigues me.. i want the writer to somhow.. pull it off without making yona go back to her fan girl self (like sakura haruno).. n also not making the ship impossible just for hatred.. in most peoples case.. who dont like it is because.. he killed her father.. i just want the writer to show that its not always about being pathetic fangirl or giving up to hatred.. there are other ways as well.. i also want yona to have a more equal position.. n not being the shy little girl that she is around hak right now.. or she was around soo won before..it just pisses me off when in a shoujo the heroine slways has to be so shy in front of her love interest.. im not saying take the lead.. but at least keep an equal position.. it just seems unfair for the guy as well..
While your other ships are interesting I just don't get why people ship Soo-won X Yona...he betrayed her trust and trust is the most important thing in a relationship. It's not only about hatred, but trust. How can she trust someone like that with her feelings again?

Also yes Yona gets shy sometimes around Hak, but at the same time, they somehow lift each other up and bring out the best in each other.

Though yeah, the fact that she hasn't confessed yet irritated me a lot too....but she did try once and Hak interrupted her. This idiot but cute couple will only get together properly in the end I'm sure.

lindananahayashida

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
While your other ships are interesting I just don't get why people ship Soo-won X Yona...he betrayed her trust and trust is the most important thing in a relationship. It's not only about hatred, but trust. How can she trust someone like that with her feelings again?

Also yes Yona gets shy sometimes around Hak, but at the same time, they somehow lift each other up and bring out the best in each other.

Though yeah, the fact that she hasn't confessed yet irritated me a lot too....but she did try once and Hak interrupted her. This idiot but cute couple will only get together properly in the end I'm sure.
tbh.. i dont wuite agree with you..

its not about trust.. its about what one values more.. one life or the thousand lives..

i dont think theres a greater proof of trust than risking ones life.. which he did when soo won threw his body in front of yona..

its just that.. he cant choose yona over the country.. but it doesnt break the trust in my eyes.. i dont think yona herself would want to be choosen over her country..

also.. soo won seems like the person who needs to be loved.. someone that can share his burden not the other way around.. and who could do that better than yona.. imagine being given a second chance by the one person you did wrong.. i think this could get rid of all the regrets soo won has in his life if it came at the right moment..

besides.. yona doesnt reject her father n still calls her father.. after knowing he killed his own brother.. so i think it should be the same for soo won.. n ig we are going to talk about yu hon.. that he was a bad guy.. then same goes for king ll.. he used his powers.. fed on border peoles lives while living a happy life inside the castle.. n i say happy life cause he said to yona he doesnt want to use weapons cause he will get hurt in first episode.. even if it was a joke.. the fact that yona didn't say anything against it proves that he hasnt suffered many battle injuries.. while his people were suffering both physically n mentally.. to me.. he was at least as bad as yu hon if not worse..

so if yona accepts her father even after that.. soo won deseves a second chance as well..

but if she falls for hak i dont mind.. its just i would like the story to take that route instead of hak x yona.. that doesnt mean i hate hak x yona.. its just i find that more interesting..

also.. the way of thinking.. the daughter must hate her fathers killer.. or shes a bitch if she loves her fathers killer is too shallow.. in fact depending on circumstances anything can change.. just like in this case..

Mini_kinkin

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
tbh.. i dont wuite agree with you..

its not about trust.. its about what one values more.. one life or the thousand lives..

i dont think theres a greater proof of trust than risking ones life.. which he did when soo won threw his body in front of yona..
Yes, and despite that she didn't get her old feelings back for him...'trust' me, once the trust is broken with someone, it's wayyy to difficult to get that back.

its just that.. he cant choose yona over the country.. but it doesnt break the trust in my eyes.. i dont think yona herself would want to be choosen over her country..

also.. soo won seems like the person who needs to be loved.. someone that can share his burden not the other way around.. and who could do that better than yona.. imagine being given a second chance by the one person you did wrong.. i think this could get rid of all the regrets soo won has in his life if it came at the right moment..
also.. the way of thinking.. the daughter must hate her fathers killer.. or shes a bitch if she loves her fathers killer is too shallow.. in fact depending on circumstances anything can change.. just like in this case..
Yona has never understood Soo-Won, so I highly doubt she could give him the love he deserved. She is only kind of understanding him now, because they both want similar things for Kouka. Being given a second chance is fine...but loving that same person? I think that's highly twisted. Yona has already kind of forgiven him, but to spend the rest of their lives with someone who killed your closest relative, that would just not be right. Plus Soo-Won is anyway feeling guilty for betraying Yona, so that would totally come in the way of their relationship.

besides.. yona doesnt reject her father n still calls her father.. after knowing he killed his own brother.. so i think it should be the same for soo won.. n ig we are going to talk about yu hon.. that he was a bad guy.. then same goes for king ll.. he used his powers.. fed on border peoles lives while living a happy life inside the castle.. n i say happy life cause he said to yona he doesnt want to use weapons cause he will get hurt in first episode.. even if it was a joke.. the fact that yona didn't say anything against it proves that he hasnt suffered many battle injuries.. while his people were suffering both physically n mentally.. to me.. he was at least as bad as yu hon if not worse..

so if yona accepts her father even after that.. soo won deseves a second chance as well..
These are two very different things. Il didn't do anything directly to Yona to make her lose her trust with him. Yona has already accepted that he was a bad king. Soo-Won outright broke Yona's trust.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Yes, and despite that she didn't get her old feelings back for him...'trust' me, once the trust is broken with someone, it's wayyy to difficult to get that back.

Yona has never understood Soo-Won, so I highly doubt she could give him the love he deserved. She is only kind of understanding him now, because they both want similar things for Kouka. Being given a second chance is fine...but loving that same person? I think that's highly twisted. Yona has already kind of forgiven him, but to spend the rest of their lives with someone who killed your closest relative, that would just not be right. Plus Soo-Won is anyway feeling guilty for betraying Yona, so that would totally come in the way of their relationship.

These are two very different things. Il didn't do anything directly to Yona to make her lose her trust with him. Yona has already accepted that he was a bad king. Soo-Won outright broke Yona's trust.
I think I can understand why some people like that ship. It has a pretty dramatic element and Soo Won and Yona are more alike sometimes than Hak and Yona.

I don t ship it, but I think it is interesting.

People always ship what they like, so I don t see a problem in shipping Soo Won x Yona.

Mini_kinkin

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I think I can understand why some people like that ship. It has a pretty dramatic element and Soo Won and Yona are more alike sometimes than Hak and Yona.

I don t ship it, but I think it is interesting.

People always ship what they like, so I don t see a problem in shipping Soo Won x Yona.
It's not a problem per se...but I just can't understand it still. Well yes you are right, people ship whoever they like, I just wanted to have a discussion that's all :D.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
It's not a problem per se...but I just can't understand it still. Well yes you are right, people ship whoever they like, I just wanted to have a discussion that's all :D.
Sure. We love to talk about things we like. And I think that it is understandable that you cannot grasp it, since you maybe love a cannon ship and I am not sure if @lindananahayashida thinks that Soo Won x Yona is possible in cannon or should be desireable in cannon...

As a cannon ship...if it happened for real...I don t know...it would be strange. But as a couple that only exists in the head of their fans, why not?

Mini_kinkin

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Sure. We love to talk about things we like. And I think that it is understandable that you cannot grasp it, since you maybe love a cannon ship and I am not sure if @lindananahayashida thinks that Soo Won x Yona is possible in cannon or should be desireable in cannon...

As a cannon ship...if it happened for real...I don t know...it would be strange. But as a couple that only exists in the head of their fans, why not?
Yeah like I said it's cool if people want to think about it, I just wanted to debate about why. I've had convos like this with others who ship them too.

lindananahayashida

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

i think.. unless we are being too technical.. ehat king ll did to his brother is the same thing soo won did to king ll.. so while i do believe its hard.. but its fair that if king ll is still regarded as father for yona.. soo won gets another chance for me..

like i said.. i dont think its going to be canon.. but id have liked it if it was canon.. so analyzing the manga isnt really worth it.. as its clearly going hak x yona direction.. not that i have anything against it tbh..

i dont think trusting someone back is way difficult.. whats difficult is.. trusting like before.. a broken glass can still be used to protect from sun.. but it will take less damagr to break it again.. question is.. are you going to damage it again or not..

tbh.. giving second chance means.. doing it once more.. if they manage to fall in love again.. without their previous feelings getting in the way whether its positive or negative.. then i dont see any problem in there.. yes if soo won loved her cause he feels guilty.. or yona loves soo won cause she used to love her.. then i wont support it obviously.. but if its for a development that took place afte the second chance..then ill totally support it.. n i dont think that would be twisted for me..

like i said.. its the hardest ship for this manga to come true.. n thats what interests me more about them.. for soo won.. yona will never be the most important thing.. n to the current yona will also never prioritize soo won over country.. i would've loved to see.. how can a writer potray a love.. when they are not the most important thing to eavh other..

i think its possible to love someone yet not loving them the most.. it shows reality..

and soo won regretting it is what makes it more interesting.. like i said.. soo won is the one that needs support when it comes to love.. he isnt hak.. yona is always being sheltered by hak.. i wouldve liked it if yona managed to pull soo won out of the regret and make him fall for her.. if he is with yona.. he will always remember the sin he committed.. and if he manages to embrace it.. i think thats a huge growth for anyone.. not many people can do it.. but yona n soo won can.. these two are different..

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Lily and Soo-Won have to become a couple. Not only are they good together, it'd add another complication to things that'd make the story a teeny bit more interesting. Though they both have no interest in the other, and Soo-Won implied he will marry for gain (which does bring in Yona atm, as much as I don't want that).

Yona has been in fluster mode for the last 8 chaps or so (canon time would be a few days). At some point she has to confront Hak too. It's probably going to happen during a dramatic part later in the arc.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Thought the Hak x Yona stuff was pretty good in the recent Sen/Kai arc.

The kiss wasn't cute but strained, kinda like their path to that point. Drawn well and paneled well.

Didn't see the Yona confession coming either. It was cute:

BlackstarSkywalker

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
The Hak x Yona is one of the best manga / anime romance stories. All the way they have traveled to express their feelings in a loud voice. It is well developed. It is not cliché. It is a powerful, beautiful and epic romance.

Those who want a Yona x Soo Won, must like toxic relationships. Yona may forgive her cousin, but he will always be her father's murderer. He is a person who thinks that the end justifies the means.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
The Hak x Yona is one of the best manga / anime romance stories. All the way they have traveled to express their feelings in a loud voice. It is well developed. It is not cliché. It is a powerful, beautiful and epic romance.

Those who want a Yona x Soo Won, must like toxic relationships. Yona may forgive her cousin, but he will always be her father's murderer. He is a person who thinks that the end justifies the means.
That is not completely correct since a couple of people live, even though it would be more favorable for Soo Won if they were dead. Also aren´t you going a little too far if you judge people based on them shipping fictional characters ?

BlackstarSkywalker

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
That is not completely correct since a couple of people live, even though it would be more favorable for Soo Won if they were dead. Also aren´t you going a little too far if you judge people based on them shipping fictional characters ?
I imagine that for him it was not in his plans that Yona will witness the murder. I don't know if he wanted her hostage, and tell Hak that a rebel was killed by the king.

I know it's fiction, it seems incoherent to me. For example in BnH there is a fandom that supports Bakugou x Ochaco. It seems strange to me for 2 reasons: the first one does not conceive that they want to join a sweet girl with a toxic boy. Second, they almost do not interact in the manga.

In the case of Yona x Soo Won, we are talking about a murderer. Wanting to join a being of light with a murderer or a rapist, to give an example, I find it weird.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
I imagine that for him it was not in his plans that Yona will witness the murder. I don't know if he wanted her hostage, and tell Hak that a rebel was killed by the king.

I know it's fiction, it seems incoherent to me. For example in BnH there is a fandom that supports Bakugou x Ochaco. It seems strange to me for 2 reasons: the first one does not conceive that they want to join a sweet girl with a toxic boy. Second, they almost do not interact in the manga.

In the case of Yona x Soo Won, we are talking about a murderer. Wanting to join a being of light with a murderer or a rapist, to give an example, I find it weird.
For once I do speak about Yona and Hak and the multiple times Soo Won had the chance to kill them if he desired it, but also about people like Min Soo.

You know that pretty much every character killed another one during a fight? Even Yona. Where´s the difference?
That Yona just killed "bad people?"...Considering the treatment of his subjects people could consider King Il also a bad person. Would the murder then be justified?

And even if people ship Gobi x Yona together, why do you bother? Nobody died, since they are all fictional characters. People who don´t exist cannot be killed.

I mean, it is quite nice that you have your own opinion concerning that matter, but you should please treat it as such. As your opinion and not as a general statement of the moral code of other real living human beings.