[Round 1 - Team 5 vs Team 8 Singles 1] Irie vs Niou | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

[Round 1 - Team 5 vs Team 8 Singles 1] Irie vs Niou

Who will win?

• Irie Kanata

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Niou Masaharu

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Singles 1Irie KanataNiou Masaharu
TitlePierrotTrickster of the Court
SchoolHigh School 3rd YearRikkai Dai Fuzoku 3rd Year
Height178 cm175 cm
Weight66 kg62 kg
Dominant HandLeftLeft
PlaystyleAll RounderAll Rounder
Techniques - Illusion

Serve Order: Irie -> Niou

This round ends on Wednesday, September 19th 8 PM GMT.

Cast your vote and discuss (logically) why you voted for who you voted for. Have fun, but keep it clean!

LetalHawk

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Irie would win this. Even if Niou can imitate others, he is not the real thing, he'll never be like the top players. Also, we haven't seen Irie going all out yet, troll Irie was able to walk over Atobe, until he achieved AK, still wasn't going all out. Against Akiba, he might have been serious, but I think we still have to see his true face. Even if Niou becomes Tezuka or Sanada, he won't copy BA, or Tenimuhou, or if he becomes Yuki, I don't think he could yip Irie, and even if he could, Irie's mental would make Yips useless. If he becomes Tezuka, neither ZSServe, Zsdrop shot, Tezuka Zone or Phantom would work, Phantom would injure niou, Irie for sure would break Tezuka Zone, maybe Hyakuren would be useful but as Irie doesn't use strong shots the power won't be doubled, so it would be useless, he could break Saiki. If Niou becomes Sanada, I don't think Irie has problem returning FuurinKaZa, Rai would work but Niou's legs won't hold on. So what he has left, nothing, also his physical abilities limit him.

If Irie goes all out, Niou has no chance of winning. Irie wins the match 7-5 or if he goes all out 6-1.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
LetalHawk has kinda summarized it all.
As cool as Niou is, the fact that Irie walked all over Atobe and toyed around with him even after he got AK, it's just too much.
Irie probably won't lose this.

Can't see Irie losing to Niou.
Unless someone on here can change my opinion. Which I doubt coz I am seriously trying to look at this from different angles here.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Irie is probably winning this. I love Niou, but it's a shame that this is his first match.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Can't see Irie losing to Niou.
Unless someone on here can change my opinion. Which I doubt coz I am seriously trying to look at this from different angles here.
I'm gonna do the same in both this and the doubles match, but both look really one sided.

Fayte

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Niou is nowhere near Irie based simply on tier, let alone the practicalities of a match.

Troll Irie wins 7-5
Serious Irie wins 6-0

FuRinKaZan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Two Trickters!, both are amazing, but Kanata is just better, against Atobe used is "troll state", and he beat him! , poor Niou not a fairly match lol, Maybe 6-4 Irie Kanata Wins

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
As cool as Niou is, the fact that Irie walked all over Atobe and toyed around with him even after he got AK, it's just too much.
Irie probably won't lose this.
Bad argument. Just by looking at how the matches were presented, while it's true that Irie was > Atobe during the team shuffle (although it's not as clear cut for the end because of the injury), Akiba walked over that Irie. Niou (and Atobe) went roughly even with the G10 in individual abilities, which should be enough to destroy Akiba just as badly as the serious Irie did. So while it's possible that Irie's stats are higher, it's in no way confirmed.

As for the match itself, Niou has access to a wide variety of abilities and stat combinations, so things like Saiki Kanpatsu no Kiwami and Bible or Myougi should definitely be considered here, and we've seen that he's capable of changing during the point.

@Letal
Why would ZSS and Saiki be useless against Irie. You're saying that they are, but you're not explaining why that should be the case. Furthermore, Niou used Phantom for at least 49 points against Ochi and Mouri, a clean victory in a one set match only requires 24 points though. Could make the same argument for Rai assuming roughly equal amount of endurance for both his arms and legs.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
@Letal
Why would ZSS and Saiki be useless against Irie. You're saying that they are, but you're not explaining why that should be the case. Furthermore, Niou used Phantom for at least 49 points against Ochi and Mouri, a clean victory in a one set match only requires 24 points though. Could make the same argument for Rai assuming roughly equal amount of endurance for both his arms and legs.
Mouri returned ZSS in his second try. Irie would do it first try probably if he goes all out. Tezuka used Phantom against Sanada and his elbow was injured after 5 or 4 games (I don't remember exactly), so Niou could be injured after some games and be unable to play. Saiki because I think you don't know what Irie's going to do, I mean, even how he's playing, for me it's just unpredictable, and I feel he could break it somehow, just look at his mental, speed and technique. I'm sure he would break Saiki, if he goes all out and Niou can't reach balls, then Saiki won't work.

Rai, the same. Niou's legs won't work after he uses it for some games, then he won't be able to continue the match. Is just that Irie would completely overwhelm Niou, as much as I like Niou, if Irie decided to go all out. Niou won't win this.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Bad argument. Just by looking at how the matches were presented, while it's true that Irie was > Atobe during the team shuffle (although it's not as clear cut for the end because of the injury), Akiba walked over that Irie. Niou (and Atobe) went roughly even with the G10 in individual abilities, which should be enough to destroy Akiba just as badly as the serious Irie did. So while it's possible that Irie's stats are higher, it's in no way confirmed.

As for the match itself, Niou has access to a wide variety of abilities and stat combinations, so things like Saiki Kanpatsu no Kiwami and Bible or Myougi should definitely be considered here, and we've seen that he's capable of changing during the point.
Thing is, its not a bad argument since we have no idea if it was the same Irie that Akiba walked over. Irie the Pierrot is an actor.
Irie got serious only because his acting got dissed. Atobe never dissed Irie's acting.

Yeah, Akiba walked over an Irie, but we don't know and cannot confirm what sort of Irie it was that Akiba walked all over.
Since Irie understands his opponents perfectly so he probably chooses what sort of level he plays at.

Yeah Niou and Atobe are same level, and yeah I expect Atobe and Niou to ass-kick Akiba but so what lol?
Irie VS Atobe, showed Irie just taking Atobe for a fool which I thought no character would be able to do.

Troll!Irie had beast stats in Speed and Mental I think. The Irie we saw when Akiba dissed his acting left Akiba on the floor and we don't even know if he was conscious haha. Don't know if Niou and Atobe could do that.

I don't like to go entirely by stats, but stat wise Irie should win.
Also if Niou does not know the real Irie, what good is SKnK?
Irie can hit weak shots to counter HJnK since his technique that he showed against Atobe was off the charts.
If Mouri managed to pull off returning ZSS, and Mouri is someone who relies on technique just like Irie, surely Irie should pull off something of the sort.

Becoming Sanada would be useful I guess, I don't know if Irie can return Rai. But at the same time Niou I doubt is as strong as Sanada, and may not be able to handle the toll for a whole 6 games.

TheShiraishi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the possibility of Niou becoming someone such as Oni or Tokugawa? Basically, on the big 3 HS level.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
What's the possibility of Niou becoming someone such as Oni or Tokugawa? Basically, on the big 3 HS level.
Oni is too strong for Niou... But he's probably capable of becoming Tokugawa (he became Ryoma, Tezuka, Shiraishi, etc)

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Oni is too strong for Niou... But he's probably capable of becoming Tokugawa (he became Ryoma, Tezuka, Shiraishi, etc)
But how? He doesn't know how Tokugawa plays, he has never seen him play, only Oni and Irie but Oni's too strong for him and I don't think he has the same skills as Irie.

Only if he could use Yips while being Yukimura.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Kaoz I think you forgot to hide the results in this one, cause I'm viewing them lol

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Niou can only become somebody he has seen play. Regarding Shiraishi, its likely he saw Shiraishi play during an earlier round before we saw him in the Semifinals.
Niou can become any Schooler he has seen play to a certain extent.
This won't be an ass-kicking of Niou. Niou will put up resistance.

Saying ''why can't he become Oni or Tokugawa?'' doesn't mean a thing.
Nobody anywhere right now can prove Irie is weaker than Oni or Tokugawa.
That Top 20 2nd Stringer list couldn't have been an accurate portrayal of abilities.

http://www.mangareader.net/new-prince-of-tennis/50/10
The list here has Nakagauchi in 8th, Yamato in 10th, Miyako in 12th, Takei in 19th and Yukimura in 20th.
Just the fact the list has one MSer means it can't be much to go by.
Also, we have no idea if the Top 20 even played one another.

Nakagauchi > Yamato based on their displays in the Team Shuffle just seems far-fetched and I can't honestly see it.
Secondly, if Irie never had a match with either Oni or Tokugawa, how can it be proven that one is stronger than the other?
Especially if Irie has been messing around this whole time.

Irie > Niou and we can't even be sure if becoming Tokugawa can save him.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Niou can only become somebody he has seen play. Regarding Shiraishi, its likely he saw Shiraishi play during an earlier round before we saw him in the Semifinals.
Niou can become any Schooler he has seen play to a certain extent.
This won't be an ass-kicking of Niou. Niou will put up resistance.

Saying ''why can't he become Oni or Tokugawa?'' doesn't mean a thing.
Nobody anywhere right now can prove Irie is weaker than Oni or Tokugawa.
That Top 20 2nd Stringer list couldn't have been an accurate portrayal of abilities.

http://www.mangareader.net/new-prince-of-tennis/50/10
The list here has Nakagauchi in 8th, Yamato in 10th, Miyako in 12th, Takei in 19th and Yukimura in 20th.
Just the fact the list has one MSer means it can't be much to go by.
Also, we have no idea if the Top 20 even played one another.

Nakagauchi > Yamato based on their displays in the Team Shuffle just seems far-fetched and I can't honestly see it.
Secondly, if Irie never had a match with either Oni or Tokugawa, how can it be proven that one is stronger than the other?
Especially if Irie has been messing around this whole time.

Irie > Niou and we can't even be sure if becoming Tokugawa can save him.
Agreed. We don't know what his true strength is, but I'm not sure Tokugawa and Oni would beat him, we can't prove he's weaker than them, but his true face might be even stronger than them. He could be even stronger than Tanegashima, remember that even if it wasn't in the manga, in the anime, Shuuji said "I'd hate to play against Irie". He could be stronger than him, and I think he is. But we can't say anything until we see him playing all out, but I still think he is above Shuuji, and maybe Oni and Tokugawa. Also, his power for sure might be lot stronger than the stat chart suggested, so we don't know what is his true level and where he stands right now.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Agreed. We don't know what his true strength is, but I'm not sure Tokugawa and Oni would beat him, we can't prove he's weaker than them, but his true face might be even stronger than them. He could be even stronger than Tanegashima, remember that even if it wasn't in the manga, in the anime, Shuuji said "I'd hate to play against Irie". He could be stronger than him, and I think he is. But we can't say anything until we see him playing all out, but I still think he is above Shuuji, and maybe Oni and Tokugawa. Also, his power for sure might be lot stronger than the stat chart suggested, so we don't know what is his true level and where he stands right now.
Shuuji IS stronger than Oni based on the rank though. Shuuji is 2 while Oni is 5. I think Irie true strength is probably around number 3-5. That's simply wild guess, though.

Fayte

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since Irie and Oni (and probably Kazuya) are all willfully gatekeepers of the lower courts, I would assume they are actually pretty equal in terms of skill. It is possible that none of them have the upper hand on each other.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Mouri returned ZSS in his second try. Irie would do it first try probably if he goes all out.
Based on? Ochi is higher ranked than Mouri and didn't manage to return ZSS at all.

Tezuka used Phantom against Sanada and his elbow was injured after 5 or 4 games (I don't remember exactly), so Niou could be injured after some games and be unable to play.
Only because Sanada started using Rin. Not that it really matters though because we've seen Niou use it for longer than that.

Saiki because I think you don't know what Irie's going to do, I mean, even how he's playing, for me it's just unpredictable, and I feel he could break it somehow, just look at his mental, speed and technique. I'm sure he would break Saiki, if he goes all out and Niou can't reach balls, then Saiki won't work.
This is just guesswork and not necessarily relevant. Chitose wasn't better than Tezuka during the nationals, let alone Tezuka and Inui combined, yet he still had the upper hand against the former until Tezuka unlocked Saiki himself and was supposed to be winning against the combination.

Not saying that he'll never break it, but just writing it off seems incorrect as well.

Rai, the same. Niou's legs won't work after he uses it for some games, then he won't be able to continue the match. Is just that Irie would completely overwhelm Niou, as much as I like Niou, if Irie decided to go all out. Niou won't win this.
Where does it say that he won't be able to use Rai for longer? Sanada used it for I believe... 36 (?) points before his legs gave out, and that was back during the nationals, so before the mountain camp (which surely upped Niou's stamina and makes him at least equal to Nationals!Sanada in that regard).

You keep saying Irie will win easily if he decides to go all out, but I don't see any justification anywhere.

Thing is, its not a bad argument since we have no idea if it was the same Irie that Akiba walked over. Irie the Pierrot is an actor.
Irie got serious only because his acting got dissed. Atobe never dissed Irie's acting.
The scene was exactly the same. Irie used his smash against Atobe and scored, he did it against Akiba and it did nothing. I'd say that heavily implies that Irie played with the same strength then.
Not sure what you want to say with the last line.

Yeah Niou and Atobe are same level, and yeah I expect Atobe and Niou to ass-kick Akiba but so what lol?
Irie VS Atobe, showed Irie just taking Atobe for a fool which I thought no character would be able to do.
And that happened during the team shuffle and isn't representative of their current strength. Irie stopped acting for the last point/last few points btw.

Also I'm willing to say that the Niou from the G10 matches would easily beat the Atobe from the team shuffle.

Troll!Irie had beast stats in Speed and Mental I think. The Irie we saw when Akiba dissed his acting left Akiba on the floor and we don't even know if he was conscious haha. Don't know if Niou and Atobe could do that.
I don't know either, but maybe? We had this before in some other thread, but just because we're going with Irie > Akiba and Niou > Akiba, it doesn't imply anything about whether or how badly Irie would beat Niou.

I don't like to go entirely by stats, but stat wise Irie should win.
I'm not even so sure about that. Niou has better power than a decent amount of the other high tier MSers, since he could break through Ochi/Mouri's defense while Atobe or Tezuka!Niou couldn't. He made a very impressive return of Kagero Zutsumi against Fuji, underlining an at least decent speed which probably increased since then and his technique shouldn't be too bad either.

Stamina and mental are good as well as he demonstrated during the G10 match.

Irie might be slightly ahead stat wise, but I don't think it's by all that much.

Also if Niou does not know the real Irie, what good is SKnK?
It wouldn't be as useful at the beginning of the match, but if Niou can push Irie with other things, he'll get a good idea of Irie's real strength as the match goes on and it'll be useable during the second half.

Irie can hit weak shots to counter HJnK since his technique that he showed against Atobe was off the charts.
Yeah I can agree with this, hence why I didn't bring it up (or at least I don't think I did >_>;; ).

If Mouri managed to pull off returning ZSS, and Mouri is someone who relies on technique just like Irie, surely Irie should pull off something of the sort.
Mouri also saw through AK and found a way to return it, something we haven't seen from Irie.

Becoming Sanada would be useful I guess, I don't know if Irie can return Rai. But at the same time Niou I doubt is as strong as Sanada, and may not be able to handle the toll for a whole 6 games.
Again, I don't think Niou will have any stamina problems over the duration of one set as long as he makes the shots count.

Niou also isn't limited to Tezuka and Sanada here. As I said before, Myougi might give Irie trouble at least when Niou makes it to the net and I wouldn't put it past him to use stuff like Shukuchihou either (which can be sealed, but should work if he uses it sparingly).

Lastly, despite Irie's 2 in stamina most definitely not being the real thing, I doubt he suddenly transformed into a stamina monster, so overall I don't see him at an advantage in long matches.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
The scene was exactly the same. Irie used his smash against Atobe and scored, he did it against Akiba and it did nothing. I'd say that heavily implies that Irie played with the same strength then.
Not sure what you want to say with the last line.
Don't see how you think this proves it was the same Irie. Irie plays at all kinds of different levels.
You can see what I said with the last line Kaoz. The furious expression on Irie's face is not what we saw against Atobe.
Different Irie's.

Lastly, despite Irie's 2 in stamina most definitely not being the real thing, I doubt he suddenly transformed into a stamina monster, so overall I don't see him at an advantage in long matches.
He practically out did Atobe who is said to be good at long matches. He pretended his shoulder couldn't move when it could move fine.
If Atobe is a stamina monster which he might well be, then Irie has to be.

And that happened during the team shuffle and isn't representative of their current strength. Irie stopped acting for the last point/last few points btw.

Also I'm willing to say that the Niou from the G10 matches would easily beat the Atobe from the team shuffle.
Prove that he stopped acting.
Even though Tanegashima proved his left arm was fine.
Yeah I also think Current!Niou > TeamShuffle!Atobe. I think right now Niou > Atobe.

I'm not even so sure about that. Niou has better power than a decent amount of the other high tier MSers, since he could break through Ochi/Mouri's defense while Atobe or Tezuka!Niou couldn't. He made a very impressive return of Kagero Zutsumi against Fuji, underlining an at least decent speed which probably increased since then and his technique shouldn't be too bad either.
You can't prove that. Niou's smash can be returned by Fuji with Higuma Otoshi.
don't know why you think his Speed should have increased either. Not everybody's speed increased.

It wouldn't be as useful at the beginning of the match, but if Niou can push Irie with other things, he'll get a good idea of Irie's real strength as the match goes on and it'll be useable during the second half.
What makes you think he will get a good idea of Irie's real strength? He may not. Irie could hand him a false impression of himself for many games like he did with Atobe.

Mouri also saw through AK and found a way to return it, something we haven't seen from Irie.
Chances are Irie didnt want to render his arm useless.
It's a stupid idea in a Singles match. Mouri's method only deserves praise in Doubles. I admire his recklessness.
Even though it was totally in vain.

Status
Not open for further replies.