Shounen - Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den by Masashi Kishimoto & Akira Ōkubo | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den by Masashi Kishimoto & Akira Ōkubo

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Calling it: Kotsuga and Ryu are the same person.

The concept of a body detaching from a head was introduced- usually the body turns to dust if not attached, but we all know Kishi LOVES forbidden techniques. Maybe this samurai used a forbidden technique to split himself, hence Ryu having a two-soul weapon while Kotsuga has none. Kotsuga was the head, and retains all the memories and knowledge, Ryu is the body and retains no memories or knowledge but all the power. It's even reflected in how their outfits are designed.

Samael Morningstar

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
Calling it: Kotsuga and Ryu are the same person.

The concept of a body detaching from a head was introduced- usually the body turns to dust if not attached, but we all know Kishi LOVES forbidden techniques. Maybe this samurai used a forbidden technique to split himself, hence Ryu having a two-soul weapon while Kotsuga has none. Kotsuga was the head, and retains all the memories and knowledge, Ryu is the body and retains no memories or knowledge but all the power. It's even reflected in how their outfits are designed.
Well kotsuga is said to be a bushi not a samurai so no both can't be the same. Daruma does know something about the double swords deal so we will know about it in future

Thores

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

I'm joining this thread kind of late, but I've been following the series since about when it started. I wasn't super feeling it at first, but have been sticking with it because I figured this wouldn't be the first time Kishimoto had a slow start that grew into something cool. I'm glad I gave S8 a shot, because some of the recent developments are things I've found very promising, even if it isn't a 10/10 series for me yet.

Also, I kind of love that the protagonist's name is literally "eight boy".

Samael Morningstar

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi!

I'm joining this thread kind of late, but I've been following the series since about when it started. I wasn't super feeling it at first, but have been sticking with it because I figured this wouldn't be the first time Kishimoto had a slow start that grew into something cool. I'm glad I gave S8 a shot, because some of the recent developments are things I've found very promising, even if it isn't a 10/10 series for me yet.

Also, I kind of love that the protagonist's name is literally "eight boy".
Welcome, this series popularity will jump around it's 50-60th chapter. It's still just 20 chapters it needs more time to grow, good thing to know that someone as big mangaka as kishimoto is struggling like a newbie

jhin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
he is struggling because of it being sci-fi and has to explain everything and after the initial setup of how samurai world and fights works he will dive into the main story. he needs one solid arc it to become popular.

Last edited:

lakhan220

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
And mostly, the tournament arcs tend to be popular and solid with so many options available at the table if handled well. From the way he handled chunin exams in Naruto, i don't doubt his capability for handling such an arc, but am a bit sceptic abt the number of options available at the table dealing with concepts and further designs and powers of new characters. He will have to wisely make his choices.

Stakes are already looking good enough as of now.

Samael Morningstar

Reaction score
Country
India
I just know that kishimoto has planned something really big for Samurai 8 , he had ideas for it since last 20 years and might have honed it ever higher, he's also a star Wars fan and the fact that in Japan where sci fi isn't that much in demand but still he took this step clearly means he has something planned for it.

everythingnice

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
The new chapter was great!!

Ann has an older brother, now that's interesting. Wonder what happened to him?

Hachimaru apologizing to Ann was sweet.

The new samurai-princess are so cool. I really like the samurai's honorable personality. I hope he will be an ally in the future. The princess seems really strong, she's kinda what I imagine Ann would be like in the future.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the series is finally hitting its groove.

Chapter was pretty good. Hachimaru is improving by leaps and bounds, but he still has a long way to go.

Samael Morningstar

Reaction score
Country
India
This chapter was awesome
Seriously this series is getting better but the intense and unwanted hate it got during it's initial stages, have actually put a very bad effect on it's sales and all round performance and unlike other series like KNY, act age etc which started off slow but later got better and was acknowledged by public but in S8's case it has been given much hate from beginning which other series didn't get. So I'm afraid that Samurai 8 might get Axed soon.
I think the series is finally hitting its groove.

Chapter was pretty good. Hachimaru is improving by leaps and bounds, but he still has a long way to go.
The new chapter was great!!

Ann has an older brother, now that's interesting. Wonder what happened to him?

Hachimaru apologizing to Ann was sweet.

The new samurai-princess are so cool. I really like the samurai's honorable personality. I hope he will be an ally in the future. The princess seems really strong, she's kinda what I imagine Ann would be like in the future.

jhin

Reaction score
Country
India
this chapter was good and interesting at the same time. the one good thing the exposition in the story doing is even with only 20 plus chapters their so much to discuss in almost every chapter, unlike current new jump seires. we get comedy characters based on mickey mouse and Donald duck and mouse samurai about use new style called
gonzanze style before hachi cut him. this style is which named after wisdom king gonzanze myo. so with his we have kongo yasha style, ususama style, and gonzanze style and two more styles are remaining.
samurai 8 has the best designs even new crane Samurai and princess have really good designs. so ann has a brother who could be working for the enemy or he could be ronin from ch 1 and have to see what the awaking is. lets see kishi gives first long fight in next chapter. I hope we get to know what style crane samurai uses and we also dont know about what style ryuu belongs to.

Samael Morningstar

Reaction score
Country
India
So can Ann's brother be another........ Itachi

jhin

Reaction score
Country
India
So can Ann's brother be another........ Itachi
we have to see up until now he handled ann character pretty good. by seeing the structure of the series we got dharuma thinking their is something fishy about hachi's father after few chapters we got whole ata and origins of mc which was a character arc for hachi now we got a revelation about ann's brother so kishi can give a small character arc for her like 4 to 5 ch but it being big similar to itachi will depends on ann brother strength if he doesn't get defeated the first time we meet him then he could plan a whole arc by making the main villain of an arc. kishi made ann as important as hachiamaru in the story so at some point every time hachi get powerup ann will get the same treatment. even dharuma saw a future version of ann alongside with hachi so we have to see what way kishi take princess concept. for now princess can sense other samurai, locker balls, can pray and ann levitated in ch 21 for some reason.

Last edited:

jhin

Reaction score
Country
India
one of the best chapters of s8. so having a white soul blade means being real key samurai. their are many things that are tied together in his chapters like nanashi lore and ann's brother having eight wishes and eighth one being most important one while hachi means number 8 and his role is to protect the ann. so hachi shown as ann's brother will. the locker ball which ann's brother used will be used by nanashi from ch 2. this chapter confirmed what i been thinking that ann that she is as important character as hachimaru because she will participate in every hachimaru fights so will get strong with him and gets new powerup like hachimaru when he gets one. ann being with hachi will automatically involves her in story unlike other series. at least for now kishi is trying to make good female characters in s8. art was also so good in his chapter. of course, everything comes to number 8 which is s8

Paze

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
one of the best chapters of s8. so having a white soul blade means being real key samurai. their are many things that are tied together in his chapters like nanashi lore and ann's brother having eight wishes and eighth one being most important one while hachi means number 8 and his role is to protect the ann. so hachi shown as ann's brother will. the locker ball which ann's brother used will be used by nanashi from ch 2. this chapter confirmed what i been thinking that ann that she is as important character as hachimaru because she will participate in every hachimaru fights so will get strong with him and gets new powerup like hachimaru when he gets one. ann being with hachi will automatically involves her in story unlike other series. at least for now kishi is trying to make good female characters in s8. art was also so good in his chapter. of course, everything comes to number 8 which is s8
Try using capital letters at the start of sentences and make some gaps with enter between sentences, it can be easier to read your posts. Not hating just a suggestion.

Altuzer Von G Dust D

Reaction score
Country
Nicaragua
Well Regarding this series, Samurai 8 is just beginning, or they already forgot how Naruto was at the beginning, Kishimoto tries not to be so ... good not to do the same as with Naruto, so far the series has not fallen in Jokes among other things.
Administer Naruto in his First 10 Chapters or Episodes, it was practically a parody of the Ninjas, but because he was a Class Clown, and it was very loud, quite a fact.

Regiss

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Man, i really enjoyed the last couple of chapters,
Hachimaru's first match with Ryu, the new samurai-princess duo and their teachings, Ann's backstory, and the emotional power behind it, they are all pretty great stuff. However, i feel because of the low volume sales, the pacing became incredibly fast and everything is happening at once. I mean, the whole battleroyal is over soon.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Him turning his crutch into a weapon was awesome to see. The Ryu fight was really engaging.

Other than that fight, though, it felt ridiculously lackluster, and I am not confident in that decision. I feel like the series was forced to progress the entire arc to the final battle, like if Kishi in Naruto had been forced to completely skip from the class-room part of the Chuunin exam and head immediately into the fight between Gaara and Naruto. Just sweep all possible plot threads away. Because I feel like something much more could have been done with this free-for-all battle. But was not. This was a perfect chance to at least give us two really good fights like Ryu's, and give Hachimaru some more develoment. So far the fights were too shoot and lacked tension.

The style of the fighting also seemed different vs. Ryu. So far, it's just been people generally facing off and then swift movements and slashing. This is a good example of how legitimate swordplay in fiction just is not that entertaining. because it really can get dull happening over and over again, especially if not choreographed right. And the author is still learning that. Or may never. Dunno. They can sure bring some nice stuff with the battles, like with Ryu, but seemed to maybe lack time to execute it, hence my worry that the story is being forcibly rushed by some outside force, likely reception.

I mean, we're already at the big bad. It's nice that he's a scum of the earth key hunter, though. Pretty darn cool. And his beast is awesome. And the betrayal, while obvious, will maybe bring some more interesting dynamics come next chapter. But I just feel like this is a scant bit too early. It feels like maybe this was where, like the Chuunin exam, at least a few memorable cast members would be displayed, along with their unique abilities or skills.

If it is to be canceled, I wonder how in the world it would be resolved? I guess it couldn't be... and we'd just see that space turtle sailing off into the sunset.

Altuzer Von G Dust D

Reaction score
Country
Nicaragua
Well, they think about the Battle of Durama against Benkei.
Durama, although temporarily, showed his true form and less than 30% or 25% of his power, due to the loss of his Princess and his Original Key Holders, which were Wolves.

In fact, if Yokuzuna Turtle, its Giant Ship and Key Holder is this powerful, how powerful Yokuzuna Wolf was.

Of course, if Benkei stole everything from Kotsuga's father (Sanda), Legendary Samurai Yoshitsune, then like Oniwakamaru, Ushiwakamaru was also from Yoshitsune.
But surely both Key Holder are Modified for the Benkei Fight Form.
Probably Both Ushiwakamaru and Oniwakamaru had different forms, when the Belongs to Yoshitsune, probably Ushiwakamaru would have a form more similar to that of his father, Yoshitsune, only stressed the possibility.
Because in the hands of Benkei they look like a Giant Bug (Oniwakamaru), and a Chimera of a Bulldog or a Pit Bull with an Ox or a Bull.
But we know that everything Benkei has that he uses primarily for combat, his Key Holders were from the Father of Kotsuga / Sanda.

At the end of all this, Kotsuga / Sanda may become a Samurai or even a True Key of Pandora's Box.