Multiple Focuses - Scanage: A web based manga Edited Manga management tool | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Multiple Focuses Scanage: A web based manga Edited Manga management tool

ExiledVip3r

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For the past few months, I've been putting together a web based tool to help us organize our Bleach work at Maximum7, It's gone through a couple iterations over the months and I'm finally satisfied with it.

My question is, would other groups be interested in using it for some of their projects? And if so, what sort of features and changes would benefit you the most?

I've toyed with the idea of packaging it and providing it to some other groups out there, and have developed it thus far with that in mind. However it isn't exactly in a perfect form I'd feel comfortable giving it to other groups yet, so before spending that time to package and give it to others, I wanted to get some feedback.

I've dubbed it Scanage; the words Edited Manga and Management combined, ya I know, not the most creative name. The basic idea is to take the managing aspects of the cleaning and translation process and streamline it.

Here's some working examples with pictures (hidden inside spoiler tags).

Raw upload:

• The raw is first uploaded to the projects folder on the ftp, in this case, it was projects/Bleach/320
  • After it's uploaded and pulled up to this screen, you put in all the information needed, including selecting your DP's (Double Pages), DP's will be treated as a single page, despite being two separate pages when in raw form.
  • After it's submitted, all raw pages will be submitted and all information inserted into the database so your staff can now view it.

Project Overview:

• Here all staff can see what chapters are currently being managed by the system in any particular project, and access that chapter.

Chapter Overview :

• The chapter information, including notes, title, and more is only editable by admins or choice users.
  • Current generated list of credits for the particular chapter.
  • Filters allow you to select which pages are shown in the list below
  • Each field show's a quick overview of the page
  • View, will take you to a more full overview of the page.
  • Claim, will mark the page as yours, letting you upload your cleaned version of the page, if the page is already yours, this will real unclaim instead and relinquish your ownership of the page.
  • Approve, this is only visible to admins and choice staff, it finalizes the page as finished, and copies it over to a specific finals folder on the FTP under your groups proper file name structure for easy page collection.
  • Force Unclaim, this is only visible to admins and choice staff, forces the current staff who owns the page to no longer own it, just in case they have disappeared without finishing their page and you need to free it up for other staff members to claim.
  • Clicking View Translation at the top, or (View Full) underneath each page's quick translation view, will take you to a more readable page where you can see the translation in a form suitable to typeset off of. There is also a comments section on this page as well for staff to comment on the translation.

Page Overview:

• A larger version of the page
  • Claim\Unclaim, Approve, and Force Unclaim functions just as in the full chapter overview
  • A running list of links to each version there has been of the page, in case you need to compare early versions with the current version
  • Draft upload is where the person who currently has the page claimed, may upload their cleans. It is only visible to the current page owner and admins.
  • A fuller list of comments then is seen on the chapter overview, including a section that lets you know what particular version of the page they are talking about.

Translation:

• Large boxes for the translator to insert the translation
  • Once translator clicks finalize this inserts his name as the translation credit, as well as enable the transnational checker or proofreader to go in and edit the script as necessary
  • Anything placed in < > tags are not visible on the final translation and only seen by people editing the script.
  • On full script page, you may compare the final translation with the translators original, so you may see what the tl checker or proofreader has changed.

The system is somewhat tailored to fit our needs at Maximum7 specifically at the moment, so feel free to let me know what is that would make it more usable by your specific group.

Last edited:

Stmated

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I don't really have any ideas at this moment, I'm just posting to let you know someone read this and liked your effort. I think it is a great idea even though it seems quite aimed for groups with different staff per page, and since projects with singular staff do not need much of a centralized system I, personally, would probably not have any real use for it as a local group manager.

I recently wrote on quite a large new website for a certain existing manga site but stopped right before completition since I felt the staff had been doing their work for too many years and would not be able to support the site, since they had grown tired. But one thing that was planned into that was a feature just like the one you have here, but with the added functionality of being placed inside a full-fledged manga database which all users could access, and projects could put up notices for staff positions and such things. A site that several groups could use at the same time.

It is also quite interesting that I just posted my application, Edited Mangashop, here one day after your Scanage. Hehe. I do not know if you would ever look for help, but this would be a project that I would be interested in if I didn't work on my own project right now.

Anyway, all I can say is good luck. And although I presume the great majority of groups do not have the will or access to a server to put a script like this on, I think those that *do*, will find it useful. I like people who give back to the community :)

EDIT: Okay. I am just retarded. This part of the forum was more silent than I thought. I didn't even bother to check the month since I thought new posts came from time to time. So not so much interesting, then ;) I hope you've gotten somewhere with the tool since your post.

Last edited:

viper11025

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems very well made, I am interested, but I'm not a group. Sorry.
However, keep up the good work, and DANG that is a neat idea.
Keep working on it, and if its applicable to wordpress, I'm sure other groups will pick it up quickly.

ExiledVip3r

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been done and made for a few months now and we've been using it at M7 for awhile now. For the main part i just wanted to gauge general opinion to see if people would be interested in a public version before i spent time making one nobody really wanted to use.

Crayola

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks cool, but not too many groups split pages between so many people, the only i can think of japflap and zarosaki, (the defunct? TMI) where people sign up for pages

chiresakura

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
After using this for several weeks with M7, I can say that it is a phenomenal management tool for Edited Manga groups. Off the top of my head, here are a few ways it would help a speed scan / non-HQ group:

- Allows for comments to be made on individual pages. This is good when you have a new cleaner or if there is an admin who checks all releases. Also, pages can be uploaded as they are completed so that any problems can be addressed immediately (as opposed to waiting until after all of the pages have been cleaned incorrectly).

- Collects all the finished pages in one folder with everything numbered and batch named.

- Displays the script directly next to the page to make typesetting easy.

- Everything is obvious, so there's no miscommunication (in case not everyone speaks the same language). You know who 'claims' a page and is therefore responsible. You know which pages are 'final' and approved and which need work.

I guess I have a tendency to work with groups that claim pages, cause I thought there would be more people out there interested in this... Eevee, you should consider posting about it on other sites with less Shonen speed scanning. Groups doing shoujo or monthly series might require more organization...

(May TMI rest in peace...)

viper11025

Reaction score
Country
United States
After using this for several weeks with M7, I can say that it is a phenomenal management tool for Edited Manga groups. Off the top of my head, here are a few ways it would help a speed scan / non-HQ group
That should sell it to any group, IMO.

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'm interested!