Discussion - Second half of Claymore - worse, better or the same as the first half? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Second half of Claymore - worse, better or the same as the first half?

Second half of Claymore - worse, better or the same as the first half?

• Total voters

Goral

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I think some people just want to get that feeling you get when you see something of impact and the manga and anime media can be very successful at providing it. I have this theory that many manga and anime fans are emotional masochists.
I can't speak up for everyone but this is not true (in my case at least). The problem here is that up until Pieta every situation that Yagi has created had consequences directly proportional to the severity of the situation.

In the first volume Zaki was killed and Raki has been exiled. Now compare it to Raki living in peace with ABs, lol. Or with Raki being in the midst of the biggest battle in Claymore world history where he could easily stab Priscilla and where he survived her attack later. Utterly ridiculous.

In the same volume we've also seen the consequences of going over the limit which were quickly nullified by half-awakening. But it wasn't that bad since the premise of HA was very interesting and opened many possibilities. If other convenient plot twists were as interesting I wouldn't mind everyone surviving everything since volume 14 but sadly it wasn't so.

I could go with this list further (Clare barely surviving her encounter with Ophelia and losing her arm, Irene dying, Riful killing Claymores, etc.) but I'll skip to Pieta - it was expected that in a battle Claymores would die and Yagi did just that. Now compare it to the fight with AEs (abyssal eaters) and with ZAOs (zombie abyssal ones). In this madness no one died AFAWK. And when only ZAOs remained everyone were hit except for 7 ghosts (and Deneve who could regenerate practically everything). How ridiculous was that? It got even more ridiculous when Hysteria got hit by Roxanne but Miria wasn't even scratched, etc.

So yeah, the problem isn't that characters do not die. The problem is that Yagi is creating difficult situations and doesn't have the guts to go through with it to the end. Instead he creates an asspull and saves everyone. That was not the case in the first 12-13 volumes. If he wanted everything to be all funny and nice he shouldn't have created guts eating monsters in the first place. Past volume 14 Claymore has changed and become worse and only after Teresa returned we have been reminded why we loved this manga so much.

Number A

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Please register to see the content of this post.

Last edited:

DforD

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Sheepo

Reaction score
Country
United States

Last edited:

Number A

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone

TStew

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Claymore1

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Detox

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Number A

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone

Number A

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone