TV - Sherlock | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV Sherlock

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Season 4 comes out on New Years Day next year.

I hope it's a good season. I was rather let down by S3, but I consider S1/2 to be great television.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
So, general consensus on The Six Thatchers around here? Overall, people seem to hate it.. I don't, but then I thought season 3 was pretty good.

I'll try to keep this spoiler-free.

I liked the episode for what it was: a set-up episode. There's hardly even a real "case", which I guess is what people have got their nickers in a twist about, but I still thought it was fairly good. It seems this season will be a sort of "rebound" of the last one, season 3 being more light-hearted and comedy packed and season 4 looking to be drama times three.

Anyway, I'm psyched as hell for tonight (which is when I'll watch episode 2) because Toby Jones is a friggin phenomenal actor and I can't wait to see him as a hyper-intelligent villain. Here's hoping he'll be a better stand-in for Moriarty than Magnussen.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I didn't hate Six Thatchers either. I had some issues with how the story was told (like Marys travaling montage just felt like an excuse for the production crew to travel a bit). But as Orgz said, it was a setup episode for the major theme of the remaining seasons, which would seem to be Sherlock and Watson cracking relationship.

Second episode was pretty awesome though! It was a bit far-fetched super agent thing again, but I liked the drama betweeen Sherlock and Watson (at end of 6 Thatchers I didn't really buy Watsons anger towards Sherlock, but this opened his thinking a lot more ). Really liked the end twist. Jones' character didn't quite live up to the hype, but I guess he was really never meant to be the true 'show stopper' of the episode. Wonderful acting.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really liked Mary's character so it was a shame to see her go. With her death though, I was quite excited about how the dynamic between Sherlock and Watson would change with their friendship, work and how they'd recover.

Second episode was probably my favourite; the opening few minutes was just brilliant film editing. Ust you'd probably enjoy this quite a bit:

Toby Jones' character was a real creep of a villain but had some wit and fun to him as a criminal hiding in plain sight. It was thrilling to see the stakes get higher and the scene at the hospital while talking to the children was just so much fun.

Final episode I didn't like very much. The idea of Sherlock having a sister just seemed really forced and superficial for me and I found her quite annoying as an opponent; maybe it's because of her effect on Sherlock and killing his wit.

Mycroft was so useless in this last episode; I never thought I'd see him like that, looking lost and unable to do anything.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, the how the series visualizes thinking has been brilliant since the start, ep2 was particulary genious. This is one of the best cinematographed and edited series on TV now.

I also loved Mary. Most of the internet seems to hate her though. Because ''the show is about Sherlock and Watson, not Mary', annoying fans.

The final episode was super agents meet Saw. I didn't really quite like it, but there were some brilliant character moments I really enjoyed. Like Mycroft being completly useless. Because thats how he is, he is so sure of himself, that when he realizes he has made a huge mistake and isn't in control, he goes completly numb.

I loved the moment when Mycroft tried to piss of Sherlock, so he would shoot him instead of John. Though it was quite obvious from the moment the "game" started that it would lead eventually to that, and that the solution would be Sherlock threathening to kill himself.

"She can control anyone just by talking to them". That's not detective fiction, that sci-fi. And to that respect, Moriarty seemed more believable. And speaking of which, it was a joy to see Andrew Scott on screen again.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really? I didn't know she had such bad rep online...I don't follow reviews or fansites. She brought a different dynamic to the duo as someone who could also keep up with Sherlock's intellect a bit and not just be one of John's girlfriends that he forgot. Plus she was so badass and funny. I did enjoy her in the second episode being the voice of John's conscience.

The whole control thing just made me think of the Winter Soldier and trigger words; definitely not within the realms of Sherlock is used to dealing with.

The helicopter scene; so much joy. I've missed him.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well yeah, she is very disliked in some circles. But I think the majority of those loud dislikers, are the ones who want Sherlock and John to be a gay couple.

I like her though, exactly a character a modernized Sherlock needs - a smart, strong woman, who isn't 'femme fatale'.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yeah, Amanda Abbington (Mary's actress) was bombarded with death threats from "Cumberbitches" who ship Sherlock x Watson with all of their being. This despite the fact that she and Martin Freeman were actually married in real life (until just recently). Crazy fans be scary.

Final episode was such a mixed bag to me. Didn't buy that Eurus could manipulate anyone to the extent that all the guards and everyone at an entire high-security facility just blindly kills people at her order. A little too superpower-y...

Mark Gatiss was superb in the final episode. And Andrew Scott makes me temporarily bisexual from time to time when he's on screen.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I just watched Six Thatchers. Finally. And I thought it was pretty good. It was a little out there with AGRA/Mary being tied to that case for me, didn't stop the ep from being good. Mary dying was a real shock. Watson needs more focus because to make his reactions more acceptable too, hopefully it happens next.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Episode 2 was great. I laughed a bit in it too. Thankfully they got more into Watson I hoped for that.

I need that Irene Adler text tone :XD
--- Double Post Merged, ---
The last episode was alright but the sister thing was just completely out of left field to me. Still it was a pleasure to watch. It was good to see Mycroft rattled.

Eurus reminded me of that girl from The Ring... especially with the well usage :)

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
My first few goes at watching the series were enjoyable, I liked the series. After few times though, I spotted some stuff that I didn't like, namely with the last season and its attempts at humor and Sherlock-Watson fan service. Sherlock's sister was a good addition, but she could have been more, and it'd have been more fun to see her stay twisted and evil. I liked Mary though, shame what happened.

Overall, great moments but as a whole episode/series, it feels too draggy and/or attempts to make Sherlock look cool or be funny.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Agreed. First two seasons are damn near perfect. Third season gets really meta in how the series fanboys over itself; sometimes it's fun, sometimes just too much, but it still kept me intrigued at the very least. Season 4 was rather a disappointment and I could just find sooo many more flaws with it than things I liked.

So yeah, Seasons 1 and 2 were some of the best TV I had seen, but because of 3 and especially 4 the overall experience got kinda dragged down to me as well. I'm pretty torn whether they should make another season or not because of the steady decline in quality, but still kinda want them to make it to end on a better note.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I gotta watch Season 1 and 2 again because I went from thinking the series and the seasons were great to thinking it wasn't that great after all. Probably because of the last two seasons though. Scandal in Belgravia is my favorite episode, or one of my favorites. Sherlock has gone for too much unnecessary humor, and it detracts from the show.

Tsukuyo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I really like series.

fodden

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Albania
I gotta watch Season 1 and 2 again because I went from thinking the series and the seasons were great to thinking it wasn't that great after all. Probably because of the last two seasons though. Scandal in Belgravia is my favorite episode, or one of my favorites. Sherlock has gone for too much unnecessary humor, and it great dog backpack from the show.
Agree.

Last edited: