Character - Shigaraki Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Shigaraki Discussion Thread

sho87

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why did Hori allow Shouto to under preform in his joint arc fight with 1b?

I didn't expect Horikoshi to allow him to master his fire side more, but I didn't think he'd have zero momentum in his fight against tetsu since he's comparitively a top recommended student and elite quirk user with endeavor embedded training in battle. Why did Horikoshi made the series protagonists and side protagonist succeed better against their opponents and Shouto underperform even with a guy that counters his quirk, he's not a character that came off as a vulnerably incompetent in combat skills, hell he showed more talent in the training festival than fucking Bakugou. Why does he get visbly beat down, he can't fight? But I though endeavor trained him in h2h?

Whats with this nerfing that even Ochako can fight and out manuver her opponent better than he can with his?

Last edited by a moderator:

LgS_WaRioR

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Todoroki Shoto faced several opponents. Tetsutetsu could not approach Shoto without the help of Juzo Honenuki or the "Pony Girl". Todoroki Shoto had two opponents that countered his ice and fire. Tetsutetsu had Juzo's help at the end of the fight. Todoroki Shoto is an opponent that you cannot defeat on your own. Todoroki Shoto's only problem is his "past." After that, all your skills are superior.

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States

Todoroki Shoto faced several opponents. Tetsutetsu could not approach Shoto without the help of Juzo Honenuki or the "Pony Girl". Todoroki Shoto had two opponents that countered his ice and fire. Tetsutetsu had Juzo's help at the end of the fight. Todoroki Shoto is an opponent that you cannot defeat on your own. Todoroki Shoto's only problem is his "past." After that, all your skills are superior.
Bakugou Has faced Shouto himself and multiple opponents and came out looking exceedingly superior. Shouto looks incapable of fighting outside of specialized conditions and not in a versatile way

LgS_WaRioR

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Bakugou Has faced Shouto himself and multiple opponents and came out looking exceedingly superior. Shouto looks incapable of fighting outside of specialized conditions and not in a versatile way
Bakugo did not face Shoto. The only time they met, Todoroki won the Obstacle Race. Todoroki did not fight seriously in the Sports Festival Final. Stop saying lies. And Bakugo never faced a strong opponent. Todoroki is the only one.

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bakugo did not face Shoto. The only time they met, Todoroki won the Obstacle Race. Todoroki did not fight seriously in the Sports Festival Final. Stop saying lies. And Bakugo never faced a strong opponent. Todoroki is the only one.
Todoroki didnt constantly perform better against villains though. In Moonfish fight, Bakugou was the one who stopped Shouto and let Tokoyami attack Moonfish. In USJ, Bakugou was also the one who knew knocking out Kurogiri should be the priority.

Provivsional exam isn't a villain setting at all, and the scenarios were way different. Bakugou encountered a Shinketsu senior, while Shouto just met students from an unpopular school.

Bakugou was against All Might in the midterm test, which was by far the HARDEST test, and held himself against 4-5 villains at once. Those are not weaker opponents nor opponents with weaknesses.

LgS_WaRioR

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Todoroki didnt constantly perform better against villains though. In Moonfish fight, Bakugou was the one who stopped Shouto and let Tokoyami attack Moonfish. In USJ, Bakugou was also the one who knew knocking out Kurogiri should be the priority.

Provivsional exam isn't a villain setting at all, and the scenarios were way different. Bakugou encountered a Shinketsu senior, while Shouto just met students from an unpopular school.

Bakugou was against All Might in the midterm test, which was by far the HARDEST test, and held himself against 4-5 villains at once. Those are not weaker opponents nor opponents with weaknesses.
Are you fucking with me? In the fight against Moonfish, Todoroki saved Bakugo's ass. And it was Shoto who saved All Might from the Nomu.

Bakugo had to need the help of his teammates. And Shoto was the only student who advanced alone without anyone's help.

Bakugo went against All Might just for Midoriya. For the bad relationship they have. Not for another reason.

And when Bakugo faced those 5 opponents of the League, they were in the middle of the battle of All Might, so they couldn't do much. Don't get excited about it.

Todoroki is much better than Bakugo. Todoroki was the one who beat the new soda villain. Bakugo could only steal a couple of wallets.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
IMO the issue here is that shouto has not been handled well by the author. On one hand shouto is constantly described as pretty much oozing awesomeness. At times midoriya has spoken about him and noted how everything about shouto is good when it comes to combat. However when we actually see shouto fight he does not quite perform at the level you'd expect based on how the series treats him. And what we get when shouto actually fights is him being mostly stationary just throwing his quirk's powers around hoping they finish the job.

Add to that there is always some circumstance that impedes shouto or he gets straight up nerfed. During the sports festival you had shouto only using his ice side and then when he fought bakugo he largely didn't give a crap about the fight. Then later on he underperforms because he can't control his fire particularly well. Add to that that shouto's quirk is one that should grant him a fair bit of mobility in several ways depending on how creative he is. We have seen him use his ice to slide around, which is smart, but his fire can potentially be used to propel him as well. Why not combine both? And all of that combined is what gets you shouto's lackluster performance against class B. Why bother fighting tetsu when he can easily one shot everyone else? Getting away from tetsu and dealing with the others while tetsu follows around should have been more than doable. Tetsu is physically powerful but nothing we know suggests his speed or even his general mobility is exceptional.

In any case, todoroki will always come of as off in fights if the series does not make up its mind regarding on whether todoroki is awesome or just ok compared to his peers.

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMO the issue here is that shouto has not been handled well by the author. On one hand shouto is constantly described as pretty much oozing awesomeness. At times midoriya has spoken about him and noted how everything about shouto is good when it comes to combat. However when we actually see shouto fight he does not quite perform at the level you'd expect based on how the series treats him. And what we get when shouto actually fights is him being mostly stationary just throwing his quirk's powers around hoping they finish the job.

Add to that there is always some circumstance that impedes shouto or he gets straight up nerfed. During the sports festival you had shouto only using his ice side and then when he fought bakugo he largely didn't give a crap about the fight. Then later on he underperforms because he can't control his fire particularly well. Add to that that shouto's quirk is one that should grant him a fair bit of mobility in several ways depending on how creative he is. We have seen him use his ice to slide around, which is smart, but his fire can potentially be used to propel him as well. Why not combine both? And all of that combined is what gets you shouto's lackluster performance against class B. Why bother fighting tetsu when he can easily one shot everyone else? Getting away from tetsu and dealing with the others while tetsu follows around should have been more than doable. Tetsu is physically powerful but nothing we know suggests his speed or even his general mobility is exceptional.

In any case, todoroki will always come of as off in fights if the series does not make up its mind regarding on whether todoroki is awesome or just ok compared to his peers.
It does feel like Horikoshi is "failing" to write Shouto as co lead like Bakugou when he can't decide what to do with Shouto as a central role in general. Hori is just making making Shouto go in so many different directions to seclude him from Deku and Bakugous prominence to the entire basis of the story. Shouto has so many irrelevant moments as a on going main story, hori just keeps him from being impactful developing into a really impressive hero figure.

It's because hori made him to powerful and outstanding compared to deku and bakugou, he decided to sideline his own capabilities as a side note to slowly underperform compared to the main lead and main rival getting the most plot relevant roles and progression with heir quirks and hype. The problem is, Shouto has changed to fast from his core on the begining after he fought Deku to base a story development, hori killed his own initial hype since the beginning, which makes him inconsistently experimental as a plot relevant character progression.

Fighting Bakugou was the beginning of the end. After that, he's been strung along endeavor catered filler with one off students like inasa and tetsu(just to put him in the spotlight for student power hype essential to his development with endeavor), to no real focus on on his own character driven improvements. Hori keeps him so dependant on influence like Deku or endeavor, it makes him unremarkablly shallow to follow, Hori probably is stringing him along with Deku and Bakugou to make them look more impressive, it's not like hori says anything about Todoroki that isn't important to the plot. His quirk is all he has, and that's still underwhelming.

To summarize, Todoroki has no real character basis to recognize on a essential plot or main role level, he is covered no real character development because his characters add hand waved character set ups that go no where(endeavor and him are cool, and it shows much endeavor expects than him than Shouto improve on his own to prove his own self worth), he's overshadowed by his story which isn't about him but being a father's son, and finally his fights are written to hold him back as a student for Deku and Bakugou being above him symbolically including his father.

Last edited:

LgS_WaRioR

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
It does feel like Horikoshi is "failing" to write Shouto as co lead like Bakugou when he can't decide what to do with Shouto as a central role in general. Hori is just making making Shouto go in so many different directions to seclude him from Deku and Bakugous prominence to the entire basis of the story. Shouto has so many irrelevant moments as a on going main story, hori just keeps him from being impactful developing into a really impressive hero figure.

It's because hori made him to powerful and outstanding compared to deku and bakugou, he decided to sideline his own capabilities as a side note to slowly underperform compared to the main lead and main rival getting the most plot relevant roles and progression with heir quirks and hype. The problem is, Shouto has changed to fast from his core on the begining after he fought Deku to base a story development, hori killed his own initial hype since the beginning, which makes him inconsistently experimental as a plot relevant character progression.

Fighting Bakugou was the beginning of the end. After that, he's been strung along endeavor catered filler with one off students like inasa and tetsu(just to put him in the spotlight for student power hype essential to his development with endeavor), to no real focus on on his own character driven improvements. Hori keeps him so dependant on influence like Deku or endeavor, it makes him unremarkablly shallow to follow, Hori probably is stringing him along with Deku and Bakugou to make them look more impressive, it's not like hori says anything about Todoroki that isn't important to the plot. His quirk is all he has, and that's still underwhelming.

To summarize, Todoroki has no real character basis to recognize on a essential plot or main role level, he is covered no real character development because his characters add hand waved character set ups that go no where(endeavor and him are cool, and it shows much endeavor expects than him than Shouto improve on his own to prove his own self worth), he's overshadowed by his story which isn't about him but being a father's son, and finally his fights are written to hold him back as a student for Deku and Bakugou being above him symbolically including his father.
Bakugo is Midoriya's childhood friend, just that. Do you realize that you are very wrong in judging Shoto?

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meh its todoroki failing to leave a strong impact.

UchihaHunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Decided to continue this from the Chapter 273 discussion, as it got lively.

Yeah that's why he's the sixth most popular character in the franchise because nobody cares about him and think he's boring. I mean you're pretty much fighting a losing battle by saying stupid shit like that, best say you just don't like the character rather than he's poorly written.
First part is fine, if ppl vote for him then they care about him and don't find him boring, but there are a lot of books/movies/music/other media that are popular and critics think are without much substance, so popularity doesn't mean much w/r/t how well he's written. I also didn't realize there was a hands hive lmao

No they don't, the fact that they're even implying that he's poorly developed is laughable given we had an entire arc focused on him that went over why he thinks the way he does.
you can spend 100 chapters explaining someone, it doesn't mean they're developed lol it just means you wrote about them

There's literally nothing wrong with villains with one track minds you'll seldom ever find a villain who isn't one track minded hell two of the most celebrated villains in Jump (DIO, Kira) were one track minded
personally i agree with the first point (idk about seldom finding villains who aren't one track-minded though), i already noted zork (as bakura) and dark malik are one track-minded and i find them very enjoyable...DIO and Kira are two more examples, but again, both were just infinitely more interesting (DIO's charisma and flamboyance, Kira's determination to be nondescript while doing the things he does) than hands. Kira doesn't even have an underlying motivation, he literally is just like 'i like women's hands so i'm going to kill them and take their hands,' but he's well-written (you understand him completely) and again, interesting. He has quirks (no pun intended) and idiosyncrasies that make him interesting. I don't really know what makes hands unique from any other generic villain who wants to destroy the world. The CLOSEST thing he has to me is that he really does seem to care for the ppl who've decided to follow him (at least the initial league of villains)

and one of the most well received villains in Jump (Toguro) had no motivation at all so why does Shigaraki get so much shit for his one track motivation?
never read that (yu yu hakusho?) so idk what he's like, but for me in particular, it's not his one track motivation that makes him boring, he's just generic

Really it just goes to show that people who still complaining were upset that he didn't follow their expectations which just goes for most criticisms of the series in general.
again, for me, i couldn't care less what he does, it's just that he's boring doing whatever he does. it's interesting to me bc while horikoshi is actually pretty good at making interesting characters (all might is incredibly interesting to me), at the same time he's seemingly made plenty of characters straight out of a generic template, which i guess is why i don't find them interesting

Shiggy and Deku both are unwillingly successors of the main evil and good powers of the series. They are still in their shadows. The death of both AFO and AM might help them grow as antagonist and protagonist.
this is a good point (even though both seemed pretty willing successors), they're still growing, but the annoying thing is he's so far ahead of where deku is that it doesn't feel like they're growing in tandem. deku isn't even the best hero in his class yet (as far as we know) and hands is literally the leader of evil lol

At least now, after this power-up, I feel more confident that Shigaraki will grow as a villain, not only due to power, but he looks less "introvert" now. Found his own voice. He is now without the hands holding him down, he is more clear minded, speaks freely. Now he battles the top heroes, he's no constrained by expected orders for AFO. He leads (or seems to be). Let's see if AFO will Madara him later, but I wouldn't like it.
I hope you're seeing the future here and that he grows as a villain...as far as constraint from AFO, I never really felt that, seemed like he let hands do whatever he wanted and gave him backing and support for whenever he inevitably failed. May be better to say he can grow without AFO as a crutch rather than a constraint

I feel like people may take my hero literally, and by that I mean this is a man vs world story. Shigaraki is less a character and more a force of nature. He’s a commentary on what happens when a society creates the monsters there trying to prevent. Because of the culture around heroes, and all mights symbol of peace it created the perfect conditions to produce Shigaraki because of how flawed the system was. Shigarkai is a commentary on what we all could’ve been if we didn’t have a kid to wrap a cape around us, and there’s so much symbolism, and parallels. Do you think shigarkai just so happened to take X-less cape; it served to mirror dekus efforts when he wrapped his cape around eri. By shigarkai disintegrating x less down to just his cape It serves to show the shigarkai is tearing down that false sense of protection heroes provided, and now he’s taking the society that abandoned him by force. Now they can’t ignore him.
I like this point, even though it just makes him a less interesting Garou to me...and Garou is a character in what is essentially a gag manga.

idk, maybe if his ability was something better than destruction, then his fights would be more interesting and i could get more into him...it's like he hit the trifecta for me to just not care about him at all. uncharismatic, fights are boring, and his design doesn't speak to me at all. i will say this though, i don't pay attention to any of the character polls, so i am flabbergasted that he's the 6th most popular character lol (although looking into it, it looks like that's in japan...in america he hasn't cracked the top 10, so maybe it's just a cultural thing idk)

also, again, this is all subjective lol no need to get amped bc someone disagrees with you

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Is shigaraki interesting? No way in hell. But if I had to guess the main reason is because of the narrative parallel withe Deku and being fangirl bait due to the traumatic backstory, young, and despite being on the ugly side he isn't ugly bastard levels of ugly.

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't find him particularly interesting but I am not indifferent to him. A character doesn't need to be interesting to be likeable or play his role well (I am not saying he is generally likeable either but still).

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Nah, shigaraki isn't interesting. He isn't outright terrible but he isn't interesting. His main issue as a character is that all his development so far seems to be heading to make him a saturday morning cartoon with no real goals or ideals or anything to strive for. he is about as likely to bomb a place for the lolz as he is to contact the UN and demand one million dollars only to correct himself and then demand one hundred billion dollars.... Shigaraki is the off brand version of.... way too many comic book villains.

Something which I dislike, due to how the author has handled it, but also keeps shigaraki barely alive as a villain and character is the fact that he constantly gets followers. Shigaraki has done basically nothing to earn his followers. He piggy bagged on stain;s ideology to jump start the league of villains but... as a leader never did anything to actually justify him maintaining said followers. There was a good portion of the series were shigaraki simply screwed up and was not really a fit leader. There was no reason for anyone to follow him and it should be plenty obvious to his allies that he does not care even a tiny bit about stain's goals. And then there is the bit with the MLA which makes even less sense and ultimately made the MLA less interesting than it originally was.

I mean, compare shigaraki to AFO. We saw one instant of AFO using his quirk to take another quirk and it's instantly obvious and believable how he'd gather supporters. Shigaraki has nothing on AFO...

Lord Traffy Law

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
honestly found the yakuza more compeetent and interesting
i don't really enjoy shiggy or find him interesting

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Nah, shigaraki isn't interesting. He isn't outright terrible but he isn't interesting. His main issue as a character is that all his development so far seems to be heading to make him a saturday morning cartoon with no real goals or ideals or anything to strive for. he is about as likely to bomb a place for the lolz as he is to contact the UN and demand one million dollars only to correct himself and then demand one hundred billion dollars.... Shigaraki is the off brand version of.... way too many comic book villains.

Something which I dislike, due to how the author has handled it, but also keeps shigaraki barely alive as a villain and character is the fact that he constantly gets followers. Shigaraki has done basically nothing to earn his followers. He piggy bagged on stain;s ideology to jump start the league of villains but... as a leader never did anything to actually justify him maintaining said followers. There was a good portion of the series were shigaraki simply screwed up and was not really a fit leader. There was no reason for anyone to follow him and it should be plenty obvious to his allies that he does not care even a tiny bit about stain's goals. And then there is the bit with the MLA which makes even less sense and ultimately made the MLA less interesting than it originally was.

I mean, compare shigaraki to AFO. We saw one instant of AFO using his quirk to take another quirk and it's instantly obvious and believable how he'd gather supporters. Shigaraki has nothing on AFO...
With the hints that the AFO quirk has a mind of it's own there is hope shigaraki will get taken.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
With the hints that the AFO quirk has a mind of it's own there is hope shigaraki will get taken.
I suppose. There are two ways this could play out IMO:

1.- Shigaraki gets influenced by AFO to the point where he becomes interesting.

2.- Shigaraki's decay theme continues and AFO's will within him gets eroded and then basically a plot dud if you will.

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I suppose. There are two ways this could play out IMO:

1.- Shigaraki gets influenced by AFO to the point where he becomes interesting.

2.- Shigaraki's decay theme continues and AFO's will within him gets eroded and then basically a plot dud if you will.
By this point it's to late for shigaraki ugly ass to become interesting so it would be better if AFO just usurped the final boss title from him. It's not like you can make shigaraki conflict with Deku interesting and shigaraki as a charter sucks.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Personally I do not find it among the most characterized villains of the manga, but it plays its role well.

ChocoBar9

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
For a character people insist isn't interesting I can't think of another current villain in shounen manga that has made this level of discussion.

First part is fine, if ppl vote for him then they care about him and don't find him boring, but there are a lot of books/movies/music/other media that are popular and critics think are without much substance, so popularity doesn't mean much w/r/t how well he's written. I also didn't realize there was a hands hive lmao
This is irrelevant to the discussion, he pretty much said something that was blatantly untrue and got called out for it also the exact same argument can be used in reverse so its a pointless gesture to assume everything popular isn't also well-received. Worthless post.

you can spend 100 chapters explaining someone, it doesn't mean they're developed lol it just means you wrote about them
And this doesn't even make sense. If I can outline a character and how much they grew through the story or how much will know about the character then that is by definition character development whether if you disagrees that's your problem.

personally i agree with the first point (idk about seldom finding villains who aren't one track-minded though), i already noted zork (as bakura) and dark malik are one track-minded and i find them very enjoyable...DIO and Kira are two more examples, but again, both were just infinitely more interesting (DIO's charisma and flamboyance, Kira's determination to be nondescript while doing the things he does) than hands. Kira doesn't even have an underlying motivation, he literally is just like 'i like women's hands so i'm going to kill them and take their hands,' but he's well-written (you understand him completely) and again, interesting. He has quirks (no pun intended) and idiosyncrasies that make him interesting. I don't really know what makes hands unique from any other generic villain who wants to destroy the world. The CLOSEST thing he has to me is that he really does seem to care for the ppl who've decided to follow him (at least the initial league of villains)
You literally did not explain what makes either character interesting having charisma isn't the same as being interesting or well-written. I mean I understand Shigaraki completely so I guess he's well-written. I mean the fact that he's a generic villain who just wants to destroy the world just proves you pretty much speedread through the manga or didn't pay attention.

I like this point, even though it just makes him a less interesting Garou to me...and Garou is a character in what is essentially a gag manga.
Garou isn't remotely interesting especially when you realized that the bulk of his trauma comes from being bullied as a kid and how his argument makes no sense but it comes with this ongoing trend of people liking villains with motives you can think about rather than simple was done well.[/quote]

Last edited: