Games - Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Series | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Series

DaGreatNoodles

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
This is a thread where we talk about Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games

Update on April 13, 2020:

-Changed the thread name to Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Series (Originally called Persona 5 Royal)​
Update on May 6, 2020:

-Planning to write my own review of Persona 5 Royal in the coming weeks.​

Topics:

-Overall gaming experience
-Persona Builds
-Tips and Tricks
-Favorite games, characters

Any Fans of Atlus' games... Spread The Word !

Last edited:

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So I spent all of easter to finish this game and gain the (way too easy) platinum trophy.

I loved the enhanced visuals and new game mechanics.

Yet if I had to compare Vanilla P5 to Royal storywise, I'd probably rank Vanilla higher, as the new "true" ending is just... not good. While the overall third trimester arc is rly good, the ending ignores the ending of Vanilla P5 completely and destroys the cozy moment from back then.
That and why can't you say good bye to Sumire? Just a random moment at the station? Seriously Atlus?
All this just for Mr. Pancakes? Plus a weird "cliffhanger"? Why?

DaGreatNoodles

Reaction score
Country
France
So I spent all of easter to finish this game and gain the (way too easy) platinum trophy.

I loved the enhanced visuals and new game mechanics.

Yet if I had to compare Vanilla P5 to Royal storywise, I'd probably rank Vanilla higher, as the new "true" ending is just... not good. While the overall third trimester arc is rly good, the ending ignores the ending of Vanilla P5 completely and destroys the cozy moment from back then.
That and why can't you say good bye to Sumire? Just a random moment at the station? Seriously Atlus?
I know right. Trophies are way too easy to obtain. This time around, there are no ''Complete all Video Games'' bullshit in Leblanc and I think that's better that way. Currently, the only problem I have with Royal is the Confidants that needs to be leveled up, which in Vanilla you didn't need to (For example, Akechi only leveled up with story progression for Vanilla Version, but in Royal, you need to spend time with him).

How many hours did you take to complete the game (playtime)?

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know right. Trophies are way too easy to obtain. This time around, there are no ''Complete all Video Games'' bullshit in Leblanc and I think that's better that way. Currently, the only problem I have with Royal is the Confidants that needs to be leveled up, which in Vanilla you didn't need to (For example, Akechi only leveled up with story progression for Vanilla Version, but in Royal, you need to spend time with him).

How many hours did you take to complete the game (playtime)?
I like that you have to do the new ones to actually get the royal content. That is quite fun.
Spending time with Akechi is fine imho. Similar to Adachi in P4 Golden it fleshs him out more.

Pretty much exactly 80 hours. No trophies for maxing all SLs but I did it anyway.

DaGreatNoodles

Reaction score
Country
France
I like that you have to do the new ones to actually get the royal content. That is quite fun.
Spending time with Akechi is fine imho. Similar to Adachi in P4 Golden it fleshs him out more.

Pretty much exactly 80 hours. No trophies for maxing all SLs but I did it anyway.
I know why Akechi is bothering me. It's because I already played 3 times the Vanilla :p (300 hours +). As of now, I don't mind Kasumi and Maruki confidants. By the way, I'm only at the Bank Palace, so I don't know the ending yet.
Anyway, have you tried the challenges dlc (Door-Kun and P4 Protagonist) fights? I think they are 2$ max each depending where you live. They seem epic as hell... But I don't think they are really worth buying... Youtube is a better option...

Reactions: Sky

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know why Akechi is bothering me. It's because I already played 3 times the Vanilla :p (300 hours +). As of now, I don't mind Kasumi and Maruki confidants. By the way, I'm only at the Bank Palace, so I don't know the ending yet.
Anyway, have you tried the challenges dlc (Door-Kun and P4 Protagonist) fights? I think they are 2$ max each depending where you live. They seem epic as hell... But I don't think they are really worth buying... Youtube is a better option...
I don't know why but I could pretty much grind in Mementos by driving over shadows. Just rarely had to fight...
So I was already Lvl 92 against Shido. :XD

So with that I pretty much bullied those 2. Neither Door-kun nor Playa-kun had any chance against the true lady killer.

DaGreatNoodles

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't know why but I could pretty much grind in Mementos by driving over shadows. Just rarely had to fight...
So I was already Lvl 92 against Shido. :XD

So with that I pretty much bullied those 2. Neither Door-kun nor Playa-kun had any chance against the true lady killer.
Hahaha... Maybe you got a ton of EXP from Jose's Stamps bonuses. Did you kill the Reaper for EXP with the Flu Season(Despair)?
Palace Maker was also a nice addition to Royal. Just love the conversions between everybody.

Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Altus created that new ending because of Persona 5 Scramble, which supposed to be the sequel. But yeah, the ending seems anticlimactic imo :oh

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think Altus created that new ending because of Persona 5 Scramble, which supposed to be the sequel. But yeah, the ending seems anticlimactic imo :oh
But isn't Scramble a sequel to vanilla Persona 5?
As Kasumi doesn't exist there. 🤔

The "bad" ending is amazingly good though. It actually hurt a bit.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hahaha... Maybe you got a ton of EXP from Jose's Stamps bonuses. Did you kill the Reaper for EXP with the Flu Season(Despair)?
Palace Maker was also a nice addition to Royal. Just love the conversions between everybody.
Yes I gathered them all. Mostly.

No I actually wanted a challenge so I fought the Reaper at its prime. :nod

Yeah all the additions are really well done.
Makes me love the squad even more.
I actually shed a tear again after saying good bye to all confidants.

DaGreatNoodles

Reaction score
Country
France
The sales numbers are quite low on Japan.
Sadly.
Got myself a collectors edition on release day while I was in Tokyo.
Money well spent.
So, how was it? I played the demo and it was great, but short.
I also played some of Omega Force games like One Piece Pirate Warrior 3 or Berserk.

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I am at shido palace in persona 5 r and here is what I have to say spoiler alert:
  • I love how they made persona fusions/customizations much easier in this game just find the right ability in network fusion then pass it down to your persona via the gallows. I was able to get Amp almighty and boost almighty very easily on my persona.
  • The new characters are enjoyable I like Yoshizawa and all the new scenes with her were great. Maruki was a nice dude albeit a little bit awkwards at times. I really dislike Akechi though he is such a hypocrite it makes me want to puke... I hate people like this irl, spending time with him was easily the worst moments of the game imo.
  • I dislike (just as in the original) how easily the phantom thieves forgive akechi in Shido's palace this is like the opposite of all they stand for but since he was not a "rotten adult" even if he kills people its all good :neutral .
  • Mementos is now way more fun and rewarding especially with ryuji's level 7 Social link and the addition of stamps and flowers boosts.
  • Finally the DLC are way too expensive for what they offer especially in Europe. Atlus = Kaneshiro I swear.

DaGreatNoodles

Reaction score
Country
France
I am at shido palace in persona 5 r and here is what I have to say spoiler alert:
  • I love how they made persona fusions/customizations much easier in this game just find the right ability in network fusion then pass it down to your persona via the gallows. I was able to get Amp almighty and boost almighty very easily on my persona.
  • The new characters are enjoyable I like Yoshizawa and all the new scenes with her were great. Maruki was a nice dude albeit a little bit awkwards at times. I really dislike Akechi though he is such a hypocrite it makes me want to puke... I hate people like this irl, spending time with him was easily the worst moments of the game imo.
  • I dislike (just as in the original) how easily the phantom thieves forgive akechi in Shido's palace this is like the opposite of all they stand for but since he was not a "rotten adult" even if he kills people its all good :neutral .
  • Mementos is now way more fun and rewarding especially with ryuji's level 7 Social link and the addition of stamps and flowers boosts.
  • Finally the DLC are way too expensive for what they offer especially in Europe. Atlus = Kaneshiro I swear.
I know right. Persona customization is way simpler in P5R. Fusion Alarm is so reliable too. Yesterday, I actually made my almighty only Arsène just before Sae's Palace. Concentrate and Megidolaon to finish her off. Still gonna do a Yoshitsune build by the endgame though.

For me, I think Akechi is much more polished in P5R, especially the rivalry relationship between Joker and Akechi. Spending time with him was more fun than the rest of the Confidants, which were exactly the same as P5. This time it's not
"You said Hi to me, then let's be friends. (At the end) Oh, I was the killer you were looking for, so die, Joker and co!"
I don't know if you get the joke, but in general Akechi has more depth in P5R.

Money grind in this game is too easy. I feel like Jose's Stamp mechanic broke Mementos. If you put the right accessory and activate Chihaya's money affinity, you could get 90000 yen per minute. That's crazy!

I don't why they put the DLC at such a high price. Well, it's just Kasumi's costumes pack, new challenges (P3 and P4 protagonists challenges included) and new Personas (this one is more interesting, especially izanami no okami). I just hope Atlus will release more DLC in the future.

Did you know that the Phantom thieves members could learn a new skill if you invite them in the jazz club? I learned it recently. I wish I knew it before though. here is a link if you're interested
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That must be either a fake news or just pure speculation: Persona 6 (It's not the only article I found though). If I follow this logic, Atlus would have made an entirely new Persona game in a few months. That's impossible!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
About to finally start playing Persona 5 Royal. I already beat the normal edition and loved it. The only question in my mind is who to romance. Which is always the most important question in a Persona game.

Went Mikoto last time. I'm leaning Kawakami-sensei but I'm conflicted. One day a Persona game will give me the harem route I desire, so I don't have to make this decision.

DaGreatNoodles

Reaction score
Country
France
About to finally start playing Persona 5 Royal. I already beat the normal edition and loved it. The only question in my mind is who to romance. Which is always the most important question in a Persona game.

Went Mikoto last time. I'm leaning Kawakami-sensei but I'm conflicted. One day a Persona game will give me the harem route I desire, so I don't have to make this decision.
Personally, I would choose Makoto over Kawakami. However, if you want a brand new experience, go with Kawakami this time. I don't wanna spoil too much, but there are actually not a lot of added content concerning romance partners, except for a couple of new events with your lover at the end of the game (White Day event) and, of course, the new romancable confidant, Kasumi (Red-headed girl).

Big announcement for today: P4G (Persona 4 Golden) got released for PC on Steam (20 USD). I personally won't buy it because I don't think my PC has enough power to run it. In any case, I already played the original on PS2. Here's the link I found: Link

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
looks like SMT is alive and well on SWITCH.

Hopefully we get Devil Survivor on it someday.

Dont know if I can do the non animu story.

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I am so hyped by nocturne and V. I just hope they don't make 2003's nocturne a 60$/60€ game