Webtoon - Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon by Sosori/Ant Studio | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Webtoon Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon by Sosori/Ant Studio

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Title: Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon
Alt Name: Skeleton Soldier; Skeleton Soldier (Couldn't Protect the Dungeon); 해골병사는 던전을 지키지 못했다
Genres: Manhwa - webtoon, action, fantasy adventure, romance, supernatural, time loop, tragedy
Author/Artist: Sosori; Ant-Studio
Publisher: Kakao Corp.
Publication Period: June 11, 2018 to present
Link to Original: Kakao - Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon

Introduction:
Crippled and helpless, a single skeleton soldier watches on as a group of human soldiers hunt down his beloved succubus mistress. His desperate plea to spare her are answered with his beloved mistress being run through with an iron sword. As he fades into darkness, he self-swears an oath that if he were to get a second chance, he would build the strength to protect his beloved mistress. In the next moment, darkness breaks into light by a necromancer who raised him 20 years prior.

Impression:
I skipped over it a few times but one night, I decided to give it a read. I am pleasantly enjoying the reading. I will say that the fusion of fictional worlds with RPG elements has been a recent fad. Some works utilize well while others, it's a generic add-on. For Skeleton Soldier, it's a generic add-on that helps move the plot and show character progression. Is this a bad thing? Not at all! As simple as it is presented, the RPG aspect does not feel convoluted like say Re:Monsters. I'm appreciative of the simplicity of the RPG elements.

Story wise, I think what Skeleton Soldier is doing is pretty novel or not something I have not seen with the whole RPG and time-loop combination. (Is there any other RPG and time-loop works out there?) It reminds me of playing video games where a player could reload a save file to explore another story path. So far, Sosori has utilized this plot device to diegetically enrich the world which he created using just a single character. He is doing a good job by creating a lot of curiosity but at the same time, the RPG elements provides tension to the story. If you're interested at all, just give it a read.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I liked it. Though it's pretty tragic right now.

Kinda hoping it's building up to some perfect "harem timeline" where he saves them all. Not sure how likely that is though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

This series is getting better. It's taking it's sweet time with the build up but if it finally does get to a point where he becomes strong enough to overturn all these tragedies it's going to be immensely satisfying.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
God, this series is so good right now. And the art seems almost Solo Leveling good.

Black Void

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I just completed chapter 97.... jesus.. everytime you think he got strong... he is a nothing compared to other beings :twitch
I like how.. kinda unpredictable it is.,. what happens. really good.. I love it

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's got a nice progression. It's a bit like a Re:Zero except much easier on the drama.

I'm pretty curious where it will ultimately go. Because he's got such a long list of people to save now. And none of it is going to be easy.

Black Void

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yep, and all time its getting more and more complicated!

That he's able to absorb essences of dead enemies to gain skills is a huge bonus to him... (it was never stated if its a him.. or?=

jawad1347

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I just love it. Is there an anime/cartoon for this as well? I read at the end of season 1 of the manhwa that, this manhwa was based on webtoon. Where can I find it. And is it something that is read like book/story or is it something that is watched like anime/cartoon?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
A webtoon is an an online color comic. So it's probably just referring to itself... I guess. There is no animation that I'm aware of. Should be though, this series is great.

jawad1347

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Series is undoubtedly great. But it would be great to see some animation of this and some events would be just great. Also, do you know how to hide things in message/comments? I mean how do you add spoiler tag?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Series is undoubtedly great. But it would be great to see some animation of this and some events would be just great. Also, do you know how to hide things in message/comments? I mean how do you add spoiler tag?
Certainly. Type want you want to put in tags then highlight it. In the utility bar above the post area you will select the insert tab, looks like 3 dots. When you click it you'll see a drop down menu. Select the "Spoiler" option from that. That will put highlighted items in spoiler tags.