Info - SkullKnight.net Interviews Miura! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info SkullKnight.net Interviews Miura!

SparkHunter13

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
... Well, kind of... For those who don't know, SkullKnight.net is a Berserk fansite. The community over there recently mailed a short set of questions regarding Berserk to Kentarou Miura via Hakusensha. And against all hope and expectation, he actually replied!

For the Q&A, see below. For the original thread itself, click here: (HERE).

SkullKnight.net said:
Q1: To the readers, Guts as a character has grown tremendously in the past few years, but how much time has elapsed in the Berserk world since the end of the Golden Age arc in Volume 14? (i.e. Lost Children - Millennium Falcon)

I’d say it’s been 3-4 years, though it’s not been clearly decided.

Q2: Regarding the kanji "Taka," do you intend that to be Falcon or Hawk? Was there ever a conscious change in its usage, such as after Griffith's reincarnation, or has it always been "falcon" to you?

“Falcon” or “Hawk”, both mean [鷹] in Japanese. In some dictionaries, “Falcon ” is translated as [隼(はやぶさ)] but there’s almost no difference. I used "Falcon" from the great name of the “Millennium Falcon" ship in Star Wars.

Q3: Just before the launch of the Millennium Falcon arc, you were quoted as saying now you felt you were truly on the starting line of the series. Is that accurate? If that is the case, how far along are we in the story at this point?

I think we are at about 60-70%. However, I myself don’t know anything for sure when it comes to the future.

Q4: It's been years since the last art book release. There may now be enough content for 2-3 additional books. Do you plan to release any more based on your sketches and paintings?

No, I don’t.

Q5: What portion of the story was the most difficult in terms of making hard decisions about where to take the direction of the series? Any regrets?

No specific part was especially difficult or regrettable to me.

Q6: You've talked of post-Berserk projects in the past. Do you still expect to do it, or will you be enjoying retirement after having spent so long working on Berserk?

I don’t remember when I talked about my future plans after Berserk, but there's no doubt I’ll work on something else once it's over.

Q7: Do you feel a sense of achievement at what you've accomplished over all those years? Was it worth the sacrifices to your life and health it has required?

Yes, I feel a sense of achievement, since my work has been appreciated more and more over time in society.

Besides, I can’t think of living any other life.

Q8: Could you describe an average day in your studio? How many hours each day do you work?

I start working at 2:00 PM and I finish at 7:00 AM. Of course, the time I spend eating is included. I work 15-16 hours everyday, without holidays.

Q9: Can we have some more details on why Episode 83 was left out of the collected volume? Do you consider the events in the episode to be canon? Can we expect to see or hear from the Idea of Evil again before the end of the series?

It’s because I wanted Berserk's world to be revealed just that far, not any more than that. The appearance of god in the manga conclusively determines its range. I thought that might limit the freedom of the story development.

I myself don’t know if the Idea of Evil will show up again in the manga or not.

Q10: Rumors of a second season, or new animation of Berserk have been persistent since the first animation's conclusion. These have all been proven false, in time. But to be perfectly sure, are there plans for a continuation of the animation?

It’s possible.

You know, It's a rare occasion indeed when Miura responds to fan mail. I guess I should say, "Congratulations, SkullKnight.net!". Too bad about the artbooks, though. At least there's another season of the anime to look forward to... possibly... =)

102jayday

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
thank you spark, this is good medecine.
yay new anime woooo, i want the english voice actors from the first. the outtakes they did were awesome.
i grew to love their voices so i be pissed if different voice.
no more ichigo english voice!!! his everywhere lol
spark can this be considered a omen!
15 hours a day wow >.> i understand why he wants breaks to make up for things in life

SparkHunter13

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
yay new anime woooo, i want the english voice actors from the first. the outtakes they did were awesome. i grew to love their voices so i be pissed if different voice. no more ichigo english voice!!! his everywhere lol spark can this be considered a omen!
Nah, can't be. The "omens" are a byproduct of sudden withdrawal from an extreme addiction. However, they're unique to Berserk fans. What you have here is something entirely different. My consultant, Dr. Nick, believes you're suffering from "Crappy Dub Attachment Syndrome". The solution: Watch subs, not dubs. Simple. =)

Anyway, back on topic. I'm as surprised as you at Miura's daily schedule. I mean, I knew of his heavy workload, but a 15-16 hour day from 14:00 to 07:00? I can barely cope with a 9 to 5! It just goes to show that Miura is still dedicated to Berserk and its many fans, even after all these years.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
It's still interesting to me at how averse Miura is to assistants, especially since he requires long breaks to just publish chapters.

And this isn't a confirmation of a new anime perse, but the difference in his answer to new artbook versus new anime is one to take note of.

Last edited:

SparkHunter13

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Just a quick update. SkullKnight.net recently replied to Miura's... reply with another... reply... and... Well, the point is that they included a little gift as a "thank you" to Miura for his response. Take a look:

It's a bookmark that was cross-stitched by a community member's daughter. Cute, eh?

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
bump wish miura was working his 16 hour shift right about now.

Asahina

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. Why isn't this thread pinned?

[xi0]Decent point[/xi0]

Last edited by a moderator:

masasakia

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
read this ageeeeeees ago...
this interview is ooooooold
people should have read this ages ago

Last edited:

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
read this ageeeeeees ago...
this interview is ooooooold
people should have read this ages ago
You realize this post was made over 2 years ago. :P Look at the dates.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
While the interview is old I am guessing it was pinned due to continued relevance. I doubt there is much left to discuss but I would assume new members and new berserk fans will still find the information relevant. Pinning it makes sure it's not lost in among other threads.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Lol, thank you very much for this, I found this early on when I was browsing through the Berserk board, thought it was really cool, but yes it felt sort of forgotten. I found it interesting that Miura does not seem to share much information, and his answers perhaps are not what fans were expecting. Also to this adds that he does not even respond to fan mail at all.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Also to this adds that he does not even respond to fan mail at all.
And now we know why - there's no time to do so, because he's working on Berserk all day :D
Honestly, 2:00pm to 7:00am? This man is crazy. The fear that Miura won't live until the end of Berserk sound very justified with this piece of information! :XD

shouryuujo

Reaction score
Country
United States
if he works that much why is it taking so long for chapters to get released?

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
if he works that much why is it taking so long for chapters to get released?
Just have a look at the awesome artworks, shouldn't that be enough of a reply? :D
Also, as Kaiten said, the chapters always appear in a bunch rather than spread out all over the year, that's why there's nothing coming right now - instead there will be a time when they'll be published very frequently.

shouryuujo

Reaction score
Country
United States
but there is a difference between quality and quantiy (this case time). If you go eat at restaurant you want the cook to spend hours to garnish your food, pick the best of the best ingredients and recook your meal to "perfection" or you want a pretty good meal within decent amount of time?

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
but there is a difference between quality and quantiy (this case time). If you go eat at restaurant you want the cook to spend hours to garnish your food, pick the best of the best ingredients and recook your meal to "perfection" or you want a pretty good meal within decent amount of time?
That isn't a great analogy IMO. If you don't like the service at said restaurant, you can just leave and eat elsewhere. It's not like we're paying Miura ourselves.

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
That isn't a great analogy IMO. If you don't like the service at said restaurant, you can just leave and eat elsewhere. It's not like we're paying Miura ourselves.
And its a shame that he isnt the richest mangaka in history.

Are you eating the manga? No. Do you barf out your food and eat it again? No.

Thats the same thing. What Miura does is akin to making a meal that will never end. Is that worth all the waiting in the world? Yes, yes it is.

Last edited:

Lynkobi17

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
And its a shame that he isnt the richest mangaka in history.
Well, most of his supporters probably died out before he got to finish. I know 34 people, as a medical doctor, who I have diagnosed in the hospital, and before they died they told me that they have read series like Berserk and other old series that I never heard of. One of my patients were the one who introduced manga to me in the first place.

But to know 34 people who died reading Berserk and always waiting for an ending is very difficult to register in my mind. I hope that on the other side, we read manga better than what's on Earth.

Asahina

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
But to know 34 people who died reading Berserk and always waiting for an ending is very difficult to register in my mind. I hope that on the other side, we read manga better than what's on Earth.
There are many around the world who've been a fan of Berserk that have died. Even those dieing in this recent earthquake disaster died probably being fans or having some sort of knowledge of Berserk.

How about those who read the bible? - Billions of people (from generation to generation) still die without witnessing the Apocalypse.

So I think it is not Muira's fault that Berserk is taking too long to reach a conclusive end (at least I hope so). It's not like we know the amount of regular "death rates" that certain manga readers perceive through, or do we?

How many Naruto fans died since it released in the year 1999?
How many Gantz fans died since it released in the year 2000?
How many One Piece fans died since it released in 1997? The mangaka stated it will continue another 20 years extra. How many fans will die within those years?

Sure there will be fans that have died (and will die) without knowing what will happen in the next issue of JUMP comics, but I believe that in 100 years JUMP will release a better masterpiece than Naruto, Berserk, One Piece, etc. - and we will all be dead by then. :s

masasakia

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
but I believe that in 100 years JUMP will release a better masterpiece than Naruto, Berserk, One Piece, etc. - and we will all be dead by then. :s
better masterpiece than BERSERK!!
I THINK NOT!!
p.s. definitely naruto though
derp